The Soundbox--Speculations and Whatnots

tiqlado

Police Officer
Thought of starting up another thread for any speculations/thoughts/character assumptions that you have. Need to write a fic? Or just wanted to voice out any thoughts you have about an episode or character? Bring it on here! :)

Let's start with the speculations on Flack's background. Previous talks on the topic can be found here.

Let's play ball! :D

First?

In "The Fall," Gavin Moran mentions Flack's father as a NYPD legend. Flack brushes off the comment, and doesn't seem to really want to talk about his father. I think that could either mean he and his father have some problems, or Flack just wants to make a name for himself without living in his father's shadow.

^ Yeah, that's the vibe I was getting from that little reaction. He seemed still a little ticked off that his introduction had to be preceded by "The Legendary Dad" act. It's either that, or cause Gavin himself was proud to be associated with the legend in a way, or is proud to show Flack around.

Personally, I think Gavin is just proud of Don. Moran was his mentor, practically a secondary father figure -- which is why Gavin's cover-up of Hector hurt Flack so bad.

Flack was probably just annoyed about being preceded by the "Legendary Dad" act, as you said.

However, I think if Flack did have any issues with his father, it would stem more from the fact that his dad spent his life chasing monsters instead of seeing the fact that he had a wife and son at home, you know?

Flack just wants to make a name for himself

I agree. I think Flack wants to rise through the NYPD ranks on his own merits and accomplishments. Eddie Cahill doesn't portray him as a character who would just sit back and ride his father's coattails to the top.

^ Yeah, that's a definite possibility. A cop's life is never easy, and who knows what horrors he had to bring home after work? And who's to say that the family's safety was put on the line before? That's one possible reason for Don to take up the shield.

I'm interested on what other things that could put a gap between dad and son. Like the old-school v. new generation law enforcement thing that Faylinn and I got into. Any other thoughts on that?

Eddie Cahill doesn't portray him as a character who would just sit back and ride his father's coattails to the top.
And done nicely, imho. Flack has ambition, but only done through his own efforts. It probable was hard for him on his way to being a detective without his father's reputation dogging his moves. People are likely to suspect he got that position because of his dad.

The idea of old school law enforcement vs. new school law enforcement was something that Zuiker has touched upon in the past in interviews posted on this site. I think more than old school vs. new school it could also be attributed to a pre and post Giuliani New York, the scope of the city has changed in many ways and allegedly, the not so well hidden corruption within the ranks of the NYPD is outdated.

Zuiker made some statement about Flack's father being the type of cop who would help a repeat wife beater off the roof of a building and the consensus would be that the offender had it coming, that there are those that just need killing. In that respect the NYPD remained very much the NYPD that Teddy Roosevelt tried to reform when he was one of the commissioners.

I think Flack's ethics differ from his father, because he would never help someone over the edge of a building no matter how heinous their crimes, Flack believes in the wheels of justice. Perhaps on an even deeper level Flack isn't particularly proud of his father's sullied coattails and has no desire to ride them. However, Flack strikes me as the type of cop that isn't in it for the glory or the promotion, but for the satisfaction of knowing that little by little he is making the world a better place. Part of doing that is always being on the side of right, I'm not so sure he sees his father that way, especially given that those old school tactics are allegedly relics of a less kind and less gentle NY.

His father was the cop that got it done by any means necessary even if it meant breaking the laws that he swore to uphold, that type of behaviour seems below Flack.

Ali

Hey tiqlado, I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but that link you posted to the other thread isn't working--in fact, it just closes the internet for me...dunno why, maybe it's a problem on my end. ;)

I've been wondering how Flack's mother might feel about him becoming a cop. It seems like it was expected that Don go into law enforcement, but I wonder how she felt about it?

I also wonder if Don had considered any other careers? I mean, he seems like someone who was born to be a cop, but at the same time I wonder if he'd ever thought of being something else. If he and his father had a rocky relationship, it's possible that he debated a different career. Right now I can't imagine what career that would be, considering that we know so little about Don, but what do you guys think?

Now, for some reason I remember reading something about Don being a CSI and deciding that he wanted to be a cop instead so that he could actually arrest the perps, etc...am I imagining that? Where on earth could I have read it? In my brain, it was on cbs.com, but now they have this:

"Detective Don Flack knows the streets of New York. Yonkers-bred, descended from a long line of police officers, Detective Flack never questioned his future. Working closely with Mac Taylor and his unit, Detective Flack bridges the gap between the old-school NYPD and the new generation of CSI. Carrying with him an intense hatred of the 'bad guy,' his approach to solving crimes, while sometimes borderline, is nontheless always effective."

Well, that give a bit of weight to the conversation that tiqlado and I had about old-vs-new school NYPD, but it also makes my question about other careers pretty stupid. ;)

Now where in the hell did I get the idea that Flack used to be a CSI? *scratches head* Am I just crazy or something? (don't answer that :p)

Edit: I posted at the same time you did, JDonne, so I just wanted to add, that was an excellent post. :) I remembered Zuiker mentioning Flack's father and the rapist thing, and I like the way you described how Flack and his father differ. ;)

Flack's definitely the guy who likes to think he's making a difference, cop or no. I could see him becoming a doctor and working at one of those walk-in clinics in the inner city.

^ Yes, definitely agree with Faylinn on JDonne's post. While I'm no native of the US, it helps a lot in fleshing out Flack's character in my head. A definite big help. :)

Don considering other careers? Well, aside from what they've posted at CBS, he really does comes off as one who has dedicated his life to be a cop. But, with the supposed gap he has with his dad, one would wonder what still pushed him into pursuing a cop's life despite that. I think that there is a dark reason for that, something a fanfic or three I've seen tried to delve into.

Flack used to be a CSI

Haven't seen any fic so far, but I recall posting this crazy "what if" idea of Don being forced to process a scene because no CSI was available. Nobody took the bait. :lol:

Flack's definitely the guy who likes to think he's making a difference, cop or no. I could see him becoming a doctor and working at one of those walk-in clinics in the inner city.
Had a flashing image of Don in a labcoat slamming his patient bodily up the wall if they lie about their symptoms. CSI:NY meet House! :lol: (Dammit, what's with me and Flack and body slamming? :D )

I recall that post you made about Flack having to process. My brain just went, 'that could be hot, but would the evidence be admissible?' :lol:

I wish I could figure out where in the hell I got the idea that he used to be a CSI... :confused:

Oh, and I like the idea of Flack choosing a career where he could 'make a difference.' A doctor, huh? Hmm, that's interesting.

I like the idea of him wanting to be a cop but resisting a bit because of his relationship with his father and then making the decision after something happened to him/his family/etc. Then again, maybe he was determined to be a cop because of his relationship with his dad. That way he could be the sort of cop that he thought he should be, rather than what his father wanted. It would be a subtle jab to his father to know that Don chose the right line of work but not his line of thinking.

ETA:

Doctor Flack slamming a patient up against the wall?
Patient: I didn't do nothing wrong.
Flack: Yeah you did, you peed on my shoe.

:lol: Shout out to "Creatures of the Night." :lol: But I think you just want him to slam you up against the wall. :lol:

Faylinn said:'that could be hot, but would the evidence be admissible?' :lol:
Oh, I'm seeing Mac's poker face crack a bit when he learns who did it. :lol: (MAC: Don did WHAT??)

Well, let us know if you ever hunt down that fic!

That way he could be the sort of cop that he thought he should be, rather than what his father wanted. It would be a subtle jab to his father to know that Don chose the right line of work but not his line of thinking.
Oooooh, I like your way of thinking! Very subtle, and very possible, indeed. Yeah, I'd agree that he could have been tempted to choose out of a police career at first, specially in that young, rebellious age. And as he grows a bit older, he'll realize how he can get back at his father--and beat him in his own game.

ETA:

Doctor Flack slamming a patient up against the wall?
Patient: I didn't do nothing wrong.
Flack: Yeah you did, you peed on my shoe.
Dern patient should learn how to be accurate shooting in pee cups! :lol:

:lol: Shout out to "Creatures of the Night." :lol: But I think you just want him to slam you up against the wall. :lol:
Oh, whatever gave you that idea? *bats eyelashes*

ETA: (oh, and the reason why the link didn't work? The link had an "UNREAD" part, when, well, this thread ain't unread no more :D )

While she's doing that, I'll gladly let Mac practice on me...just as long as he's gentle 'cause I'm smaller than him and as long as it's followed by a deep, hot, passionate kiss <g>

We'd all have bruises if we let them throw us against the wall. :devil: We could always make Hawkes take care of our wounds. ;)

Oooooh, I like your way of thinking! Very subtle, and very possible, indeed. Yeah, I'd agree that he could have been tempted to choose out of a police career at first, specially in that young, rebellious age. And as he grows a bit older, he'll realize how he can get back at his father--and beat him in his own game.
I really wish I could write fanfic, because that would be an awesome fic to write--a young Don sitting by himself, thinking about his future. At first he'd think about giving up the idea of being a cop because he doesn't want to be like his father, but then he realizes that he doesn't have to give up the career he's chosen just to prove a point. Even if he's always wanted to be a cop, it doesn't mean he always looked at it the same way. *nod*

I wonder if his father thought that Don would follow in his footsteps or if he suspected that his son would do things differently? If he wasn't around much (which I suspect), then he could have been totally surprised that Don turned out to be such a different cop than himself.

I wonder if Don had always intended to be a Detective, or if it just turned out that he ended up taking that direction? Maybe someone in the department suggested that he look into it, so he gave it a gander. And that makes me wonder how his father would take it.

I wonder if Don had always intended to be a Detective.
Outside influence is possible. Hmight have lost interest in policework along the way, at some point. Or that he may have found being a detective would veer him away from his dad's reputation somewhat.

I wonder if his father thought that Don would follow in his footsteps or if he suspected that his son would do things differently?

Like you mentioned earlier, Flack Sr. might be thinking he knows his son that well (he's his son, after all, he'd be thinking :rolleyes: ) I'd agree that he's not around much to see his son grow. It' likely to happen.

I really wish I could write fanfic,
Are you saying you can't?? :eek: That's ridiculous! You lay out really neat dialogue, not to mention you tend to think out character plot very nicely. I'm sure you'll do great. I urge you to try a fic. Never mind that it's not that good, we don't get it right the first time, anyway! You'll learn the ropes when you get there. You'll do great! I bet I have folks here agreeing with me. :D

Goodness, all this speculating is exhausting, but in a good way. :) Sorry if my talking it out is getting stoopider after every post. :p

Back