The Nick Stokes Timeline: Part 2

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ Yep, that's what I said. :)

2. nickstokesfan

nickstokesfan Coroner

Everyone just dumps on Nick. :( I hope he starts sticking up for himself!!!! :mad:

3. BabaOReilly

OK, I had to really dig to find this thread again! :eek:

This week's episode looks like it might have some great fodder for this topic, so I thought I'd catch us up on the last episode to date: "I Like to Watch".

This was definitely one of my least faves this season, and not because of the lack of Nick. There were just too many silly little things that seemed improbable, but were clearly there so they could try to flesh out the whole "reality TV camera crew" angle. Bleh. Outside of Grissom, Hodges and Brass in this episode, I was wholeheartedly underwhelmed. But I digress...

Nick: Only a little bit of our guy in this episode. First we have him looking amused at Hodges because he's clearly looking for the cameras. Hodges, not surprisingly is desperate to be on film. This really was more illuminating into Hodge's character than Nick's, but still- it's always fun to see Nick in a scene with the quirky lab tech. Takes me back to the Greg years, which were always fun.

The only other scene, if I recall correctly, is where the camera crew is filming Nick with his evidence. I liked how he started out looking clearly unconfortable to be on film, and his presentation of the evidence is a little awkward. Then, he becomes more relaxed as he does what he does best- works the evidence. By the end of it, we see a guy comfortable in his role and the camera-shy guy is gone. He's good at his job and his instincts took over as he related that to the TV crew.

That's pretty much all I have for this episode, but maybe I missed something? Anyone else have anything good to point out?

4. allmaple

allmaple Judge

what im kind of worried about, is we had a little bit of the old nicky back. in his little banter with hodges and once he got comfortable talking to the camera he looked almost like happy-go-lucky nick again. while i dont think hes all the way back yet, i feel like the writters are slowly trying to push him back to normal without addressing anything. its almost as if they think we wont notice.
    well i notice, and im sure im not the only one. while the episodes this season on a whole have been pretty good, whats the point of doing something like grave danger if you never touch it again?
    or maybe, all this is just building up for a bigger fall... yeah right, even im not that naive. the promo for this week looks like theres lots of nick, but weve been tricked before. ive got my fingers crossed!

5. BabaOReilly

Yeah, I can see that too. However, as much as I'm not overly impressed with how they've written it, they have addressed the Grave Danger stuff. Maybe not to our satisfaction necessarily, but again, the show isn't soley about Nick and they can't throw it in all the time unfortunately. On the good side, George has provided us with lots of little tantalizing moments at least.

You can always be hopeful. I mean, they stretched out Sara's issues for years. ;)

6. SKYLAR522

SKYLAR522 Hit and Run

I agree wtih Baba's assessment of this episode.

What I liked was how realistic George made it. When you see a real cop interviewed on TV, they tend to be stiff like Nick was. A bit nervous about the camera and also trying hard to prevent revealing evidence that will be needed in court.

George played it so tight that I thought he was going to snap that bouquet of flowers in half. His stance and handling of the flowers reminded me of a coworker of mine who can be quite stiff when he's nervous. Talk to my coworker a bit and he becomes very warm and relaxed.

Overall, there was too little George in the episode. Fingers crossed for more Nick in the next one.

7. BabaOReilly

OK, Usual Suspects... a great episode in my opinion! :)
    Anyone want to take the plunge and start it off? I'm at work and I'd like to check it out again before I think too deeply on it...

8. BabaOReilly

Oh my god... I just typed a lengthy analysis of the episode and my freaking computer went kerplooey on me! Eiyeeeeeeee! I'm gonna freakin' snap! I wanted to get it out there before tomorrow's episode aired. Grrrrr.... I don't know if I have the patience to type that all back out again. sigh ...

9. ariela57

ariela57 Lab Technician

Can I do the honors then? :D I guess two things stick in my mind when it comes to this episode regrading Nicky. First and foremost is the infamous "I know the feeling" comment to Hodges when Hodges speaks about snapping or something along these lines. Inidcation of things to come? Now I know it can be construed as general irritation with Hodges, but the way it was said just made me sit right up and spit up my coffee. :D If anything, it shows that Nicky is no longer Mr. sweetness and light. He has little tolerance for anyone, and for any "small talk" that is not work related.He is definitely Mr. large and in charge and as Warick noted becoming more Grissom like by the day. Now as for the coin flipping scene, I kind of chuckled at his "I have a better idea" response. Again it was more in the subtext, the way Nick kind of spoke slowly or hesitantly. Clearly he wants to hold it together in front of the group, but what is going on in Mr. Stokes' guess is anybody's guess. ;) Maybe it's a case of my seeing what I want to see and really craving some GD contiunity, but I really do think something is up with Nick. Well, any more thoughts? Anyone? :)

10. BabaOReilly

^ I'll give you that he's definitely not the same guy anymore... but we have seen Nick annoyed and/or frustrated by Hodges before. I don't think that's a new thing. And he was already turning away from Hodges spiel and looking annoyed before he said anything. I think it was just a case of Hodges giving him an easy line to respond to sarcastically, so he did.

Similarly, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when Hodges said "You can flip a coin." In fact, Nick merely looked like he was thinking like he had a better idea, and then of course he said that very thing. I just don't see it, but I've already said it a hundred times, as have all the people who think it's some sort of foreshadowing.

So on to other things...

Starting the episode off with Nick in a suit- I know I don't really need to say anything here but... Hell Yeeeeeaaaaahhh! Have mercy! :D Yep, that's always a good thing in my books! :lol:

I loved the look on his face when Hannah comes out and blindsides everyone with her "I did it" moment. He had a total "WTF?!!!" expression and it was awesome!

I really liked how comfortable he was talking to Ecklie. There was no intimidation about discussing the case with "the boss" (especially when it's not Grissom, who he's probably more comfortable with to begin with) and it's cool to see there was none of the former distaste Nick had for Ecklie showing. Yeah, Nick was perturbed, but I didn't feel that it was directed towards Ecklie- more like he was frustrated that the judge only gave them 72 hours to go over their evidence. I liked how Ecklie told him just to "do his best". I really think Ecklie has a lot of confidence in Nick (and the rest of them as well) and he's really come a long way. Nick's not the only one who has developed over the years.

OK, case-wise: Right off the back, Sara and Nick come to represent the two opposing views of the case, although you never get the impression that they're at odds because of it, which is nice. I think these two have developed a healthy respect for each other professionally. Anyway, these differing theories set the pace for the episode and we the audience definitely find ourselves moving back and forth between the two suspects... or at least I did. ;)

We do see Nick waiver a few times in his own belief that the brother did it, but I think that just shows he's doing his job. The evidence leads him places and he follows it. It's only natural that he doesn't like where it leads him sometimes.

Loved the high school stuff:
    Sara: "I bet you really liked high school."
    Nick: "Playing football, chasing girls, books when I wanted to learn something... What's not to like?"
    This is the old Nick we all know and love. Very cute! :) And I also thinks this shows the progression of the relationship between Sara and Nick nicely. In the old days, a comment like that from Sara would probably have been more judgemental, or would have carried more of the frat-boy negative innuendo behind it, but this time I think she was just making pleasant conversation.

Similarly, Nick wants Warrick's wife's niece to put her earphones on when they start discussing the more gruesome aspects of the case, which is just downright sweet and considerate. His mother raised him right! :lol: And you'll notice neither of the other two even considered it. ;)

In the end, Nick sticks with his theory, and when Sara says she's sticking with hers (although she seemed sort of sheepish about it, like she didn't want to piss them off) Nick does have an odd look on his face, but I didn't read it as anger or anything. Maybe slight surprise? I'm not sure about that one, really. But I really didn't see any hostility towards Sara taking the opposing view.

And of course he was visibly pissed off after the verdict, and rightly so, as we find out the brother actually did it.

Whoh... I just had an insight, just now as I was finishing this. Do you guys see any parallels in the brother/sister and with Nick/Sara? Sara was sort of Grissom's brainiac prodigy when she came on the team, and Nick was the guy trying to prove he could do the job... Hmmm... Interesting...

11. nickstokesfan

nickstokesfan Coroner

Neat observation, Baba!! Don't know if the parallel was intentional, but it is kind of interesting.

12. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

i think that nick and sara are like brother and sister.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

A Nick filled episode. I didn't know how to start so I was so pleased when Baba led the way.

My first thoughts when Nick appears on screen are 1) the blue top is nice, 2)Nick is working the crime scene alone, and 3) What hours does Nick work as it is broad daylight and isn't he on the graveyard shift?

Nick is going at quite a pace along the corridor when he meets Hodges. I thought Nick's reply to Hodge's was just a reflection of the pressure Nick was under to review all the evidence in the short time the court had allowed. He wasn't in the mood for small talk.

When Nick is reviewing the evidence with the team he is very organised. it is obvious he has worked hard to prepare a good case and now the rug has been pulled out from under his feet by Hannah's court room confession. The team are all pulling for Nick - no repeat of the episode, Invisible Evidence?? - when Sarah openly objects to Grissom about being pulled off her case. No repeat of Warrick's frustration either. Apart from the side remark to Hodges, Nick appears to be very capable of undertaking the task ahead. Rather nicely, Ecklie thinks so to.

I did think Nick looked a little off at times when at the table reviewing the evidence with the team. A sort of distant look in his eyes and an air of gloom??

I liked how he thought about the effect on Tina's niece of their conversation at the school. Sarah and Warrick were oblivious to this point and it shows Nick is still thinking of others. It is also Nick that recognises the niece has done enough dragging the shower curtain across the field.

Nick was definately disappointed that he had not convinced Sarah that Marlon was the responsible party. He must have known at this point he was going to see Marlon acquitted, confirmed by the ADA's comment.

I do not know if we have seen Nick do this before but I noticed him shaking his head in a very despondant way - firstly when talking with Sarah and the ADA and then again in the court room after the verdict. I couldn't decide if Sarah was looking somewhat worriedly at Nick shaking his head or something out of view. Nick looks in the opposite direction to Sarah when he hears the cries of the mother. How hard will Nick take losing this case?? The whole team has been played by a 12 year old who has come up trumps. I think this can only significantly add to the weight upon Nick's shoulders. He was the lead CSI on the case and there was no justice for the family of the dead teenager. Will he blame himself for this????

14. ford_prefect

ford_prefect CSI Level Two

That is interesting, and although I don't usually like to give the writers too much credit, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that was intentional. Nick and Sara have had a brother/sister type relationship right from the start, so it made perfect sense to have them work this case, even without the parallel of Sara being the favored "more intellectual" sister and Nick just struggling to show that he was capable.

In fact you can take it a little further if you consider that Nick was like the older brother in that he had already been on the team for, I don't know, a few years at least, and Sara, like the little sister, didn't even come into the picture until later. It would only be that much more difficult to accept being upstaged by and less appreciated than that other person, when, as childish as it sounds, you were there first.

Lol, yeah I thought he was about to break into a run there. I've already said it, but I'm definitely in the 'he was just annoyed with Hogdes' boat.

15. happy_me_111

happy_me_111 Police Officer

ohh.. i'm a little begger and i don't care,do you??

sorry, I'm going nuts here people... Nicky overload!!! AHHH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.