The Nick Stokes Timeline: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, right. I just thought since you mentioned being in a rush to get to Grave Danger... meh. Doesnt matter. :)
No, you were right there Baba, I didn't really think about the stuff at the end of the season. :eek:

Very true about the first part of season five. I think the writers, after all the stuff in season four weren't quite sure what to do with Nick next. About halfway through the season they came upon the idea of having Nick have a few really bad cases...the ones that haunt the people who work them and see where it would go. It will be interesting to see if the retrun to that... And then there was GD, which gives them a whole lot more to play with.
Getting ahead a bit here, but I have to wonder how long the writers were aware of what would happen in "Grave Danger." Could it be that some of that was a kind of set up for Nick's life changing experience? Hmm, just a thought..

Anyway, it doesn't sound like anyone would be against moving on to "Compulsion." Anyone want to do the honors and start us off?

I'm sorry, I'm a little late...
"Big middle" was aired in my country last wednesday..
It's great because this topics is now really parallel with my timing..
About, "big middle".. I really like this episode..
Nick 's comment in the beginning shows his annoyance about the team ... and I love his comment "Vegas - where even a beaver can strike it rich." ..
I also love this episode... for the other story.. Greg was really funny in this one.. and Sara was also great..
I can probably say that "big middle" is one of my favourité episode of season5 even if there is not a lot of Nick..

Hi Nickyboom, and welcome to the thread! :)

Unfortunately, I think we're about to pass you by on the old episode parallel... Sorry! :lol:

Compulsion. Ah, what can I say that the rest of you haven't already thought? Saying this is a favourite episode whilst surrounded by all the other Nick fans seems sort of silly, but what the hell! I love this episode! :D

OK, so we start off at the house, and the dead boy on that bizarre elevated bed- has anybody else ever seen one of these before? I thought it was a bit odd, and I figured it might just be a plot device... Anyway, they're checking out the poor battered kid and Nick looks clearly unhappy about another child victim. I know a lot of people like to look at it as though he's remembering his own child molestation, but I've never really felt that way, and I don't see anything else in the rest of the episode that leads me to think otherwise. Now, I will admit that as Nick said in Overload, "It's what makes a person, I guess." And I'm sure he's right. I think he's maybe a little more sensitive to violence towards children, in all its forms. I think he just gets disgusted at the waste of a young life, as would anyone else, but his good, honest nature (and he's not quite as cynical yet, but wait for it! I think it's starting here... ;) ) makes him feel things pretty deeply, I think. The bottom line (imo): Nick's internal superhero balks at not having been able to save an innocent boy. It's the worst sort of tragedy to him.

Now I won't hog the whole episode since it's such a great one for Nick fans, but I want to go up to the next scene where they have the father in the interrogation room. Did anyone else feel like Nick was a bit subdued in there, and not as kind and empathetic as he usually is when he collects evidence? I'm chalking this up to him looking at everyone as a suspect in this case, and that definitely includes the parents. This seems to be corroborated by his surprise when Vega releases them. "You're just gonna let them go?"

OK, take it away, peeps! :D

Compulsion. Ah, what can I say that the rest of you haven't already thought? Saying this is a favourite episode whilst surrounded by all the other Nick fans seems sort of silly, but what the hell! I love this episode! :D
I second that!

I also don't see how this case reminds Nick of his childhood molestation per se, but what he went through definitely contributed to his sensitivity towards crimes against children, in general. I doubt he's thinking about his own experience in particular, but you could definitely say that subconsciously his childhood plays a part in how he approaches this kind of case.

Not only did he feel badly about not being able to save one innocent life, he was also instinctively protective toward the other child involved - the brother, and Cavaliere's tough interrogation style only further stimulated that protectiveness. I felt that if Cavaliere hadn't pushed the brother so hard, Nick wouldn't have been so unwilling to accept him as the most likely suspect. I can't help but think that Grissom does have a point when he criticizes Nick for letting his empathy get in the way, like in this case his inner "children's right advocate" was more or less clouding his judgement. Not to the degree that he'll blatantly disregard the evidence, but he definitely has a much harder time accepting it, and therefore is most susceptible to emotional burnout.

When I fist watched the scene with Nick smashing the bag of plaster outside the window, I thought back to when he punched the door in a season 1 case that involved a dead child. But Warrick did the same thing with the plaster in "Shooting Stars" (I think), so maybe it's just something they do. Ah, what do I know? But that would've been a nice little continuity.

I also felt Nick was subdued and a bit hesitant when processing the husband, but not in a harsh, un-empathetic way. I got the feeling that he was conflicted as to how to treat the husband. On the one hand, he looked like he hated to be the one causing the man more pain than he was already apparently experiencing. On the other hand, because he's subconsciously reluctant to see the boy as the killer, he probably placed a lot more suspicion on the parents. Nick is prone to following his gut feeling, but in this case his gut was telling him different things, so the way I see it, he just tried to distant himself from the situation, and focused on getting his job done. Still he looked like a part of him genuinely felt for the husband, he just had to keep it in check.

Whew! More to come later...

^^^ Yeah, that bit about the interrogation room and the husband is exactly how I feel, lemon, but you said it so much better! :p

Hey, you have your moments! :D
Thanks Baba. *blushes* You have your moments as well. In fact, you all do, which is one reason why I love it here. I find myself lol an awful lot. :)

*ahem* Back on topic. You guys are doing such a great job summing up this episode, I think I'll just sit back and read. ;)

I liked Nick's smirk when the lab tech compared beating the dummy to hitting one of the stuffed toys at Chuck E. Cheese.

I guess Nick doesn't get much of a chance to go to Chuck E. Cheese.

Ah, come on you slacker! Make an observation on the episode! :p

Edited to add: And no, comments on how hot he looked doesn't count! :lol:

Okay, I'll add on another comment.

Umm...I find these episode where children are murder victms very painful to watch as a parent because it's hard enough for me to constantly watch my own child from every adult that says hello to her, but shows like these make me realizes that I might have to watch her with other kids. I know it's only a show, but sometimes these things do happen and you'd like to think it won't happen to your kid, but you just never know.

As for the show,
I think this was the start of Nick's cyncism. I mean one murdered kid after another and by other kids. I guess Nick figures it is not entirely inconceivable for an adult to hurt and kill kids because adults have power over children.

But when it's kids killing kids, it just seems to sicken Nick's soul because to commit murder at such a young age goes against the grain of what his perception of an ideal childhood should be. In retrospect, part of his was robbed when he was assaulted at nine, but he came to terms with the fact that it was an adult that did it and sometimes adults can be scummy to kids.

But kids assaulting each other is an entire area that he was NOT prepared to deal with. But really who can deal with such a horror? Childhood is a time of innocense. Kids are still grappling with the concept of death, commiting such an evil is beyond comprehension for us adults who are used to seeing adults commiting these deeds.

Such as a case in London, England when two ten year olds murdered a two year old. The law enforcement was just as horrified as the citizens were over that. Kids killing kids. It goes against their grain that children are innocents.

So we start to see Nick developing a burnout that seems to come to a head with the finale.

Hope I don't come off as a babbling.

Aw, come on Baba, you know I'm lazy. ;)

Since you bullied me into it, I will comment on the scene between Nick and Warrick in the locker room. I really like that scene because I really like the friendship between those two. That may be my favorite relationship on the show, although the Nick/Grissom relationship is probably more interesting.

Anyway, it was nice that Nick had someone to talk to about his concerns. He had already mentioned something to Catherine and she kind of blew it off, but Warrick, who isn't even on the case, and has just gotten out of court is willing to give Nick some of his free time. That makes me think about Nick's 'whatever' comment in "Big Middle" and Catherine asking Nick if he doesn't like having her as his boss. Maybe that is supposed to show more of the changing dynamic among the team and how Catherine is no longer on the same level as the two boys. *shrugs*

I also love it when Nick calls Warrick 'Rick.' I love nicknames and see them as a sign of affection. Off topic, but I was just thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Warrick has only ever called Nick 'Nicky' in "Grave Danger." Interesting.

Oh yeah, and nick was really hot in this episode. :p

I agree with everyone else's points. He didn't let himself get railraoded by Cavalier into assuming that the brother committed the crime. He did his job thoroughly and didn't jump to conclusions, which shows how much he has matured as a CSI. I think earlier in his career he may have been more willing to go along with other people's theories, and may not have fought as hard to make sure the brother really did it (e.g., by following the evidence to Walter the homeles guy).

Baba, the boys were sleeping on bunk beds, is that what you were talking about? They're popular with kids, 2 places to sleep but it only take up 1 spot. They can be dangeous, kids can fall (or in my case jump :)) out of them and get hurt.

I don't think that was a bunkbed. Or if it was, the older brother's bunk must have been right on the floor! :eek:

And hah, Ford ! I lured you in... there's no escape now! :devil:

And yeah, the first time I think I ever heard Warrick call him "Nicky" was in Grave Danger. I think everyone but Greg and Sara have done it at one time or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back