The Life & Times of Sara Sidle

Ha, you guys were close...here is the next chapter! I call this chapter 'Sweet December':

December 20, 1984- 4:28 pm- Residence of Ted and Nancy Wilcoff

Sara sat up yawning and looked at the clock mounted on her wall. She cursed under her breath- she had just meant to take a small nap but it turned into almost a full-day's rest! She got up and straightened the sides of the sheets on her bed before heading to her closet to look for something to wear.

"Okay...something a little formal, but nothing too flashy!" she told herself as she looked through the various clothes hanging up in her closet. She rolled her eyes- almost everything in her closet was the same. She expected this to be the way her wardrobe would be when she grew up.

"AGH!" she screamed in frustration, but this time Ted and Nancy did not come into her room. She had been doing this a lot lately, and whenever Ted ran in with his baseball bat and ice cream spoon in hand, she got on them telling them that they were too 'over-protective'. She ran around the room looking for something to wear yet again- somehow her white t-shirt from 'Wally's Seafood Cuisine' and her torn blue jeans didn't seem to cut it. Call her crazy.

She looked through her drawers and grinned when she spotted a dark red sweater. It was perfect. She threw it on her bed and looked for some pants to go with it. She found a pair of brown slacks and she quickly slid the outfit on before fixing her bed-head back to her straight yet somewhat wavy hairstyle. She turned around and looked for the red gift bag containing Josh's gift and she sighed in relief when she found it. She picked it up and walked into the living room to find Nancy and Ted pacing back-and-forth.

"You two look nice," Sara said with a smile.

Nancy looked up from her nicely-done but overly-flashy hair as she smoothed out the edges of her purple dress and attempted to keep her black heels on her feet. She took a step closer to Sara and a strong wave of her perfume filled Sara's nostrils.

"Think you put on enough perfume?" Sara teased as Nancy shot her a look.

"My parents are very...judgemental," Nancy said. "Believe me, we look over-dressed, but this is nothing."

Ted walked out of the shadows looking at Sara. The mustache he had always been trying to grow out was gone and his black hair was slick and clean. He wore a dark green suit with a red tie and brown dress shoes. "Nance, can you help me with these cuffs?" he asked.

Nancy rolled her eyes and turned to Ted. She pulled the cuffs of the sleeves and fastened them tightly. She then turned to Sara. "So, we'll be gone for a while, just stay at Josh's house until we come back."

Sara nodded and smiled as the doorbell rang. She ran to the door to reveal a nicely-dressed Josh. He wore black dress pants and a white button-up t-shirt and black dress shoes. He held a large package wrapped in wrapping paper in his hands and he smiled at Sara.

"Hello, Ms. Sidle."

Sara gave him a cheeky grin. "Hello, Mr. Deckard." She looked at his attire. "I'm sorry I didn't pick out something more formal to wear."

He shook his head. "Nah, it's fine, Frankie insisted I wear this." He didn't want to admit that George had also mentioned to him that fancy attire was another way to arrouse the ladies.

"Okay, well...shall we go?"

He smiled. "Thought you'd never ask."

They walked off after Sara bid Ted and Nancy farewell. Josh smiled as he hooked his arm around Sara's and they walked down the street as if they were walking down the aisle at a wedding.

"You didn't have to get me anything," Sara told him.

He shrugged. "I wanted to, and..." he said motioning toward the bag in her hand.

"Ah..." she said nodding and looking at the bag. "Well, it's just a little something, I-"

"Hey, I don't care what you got me. You could've gotten me that bag for all I care," he said with a grin.

She smiled and they continued talking until they reached his church.

The building was old, but still looked quite nice. The outside walls of the building were recently painted a bright shade of white and the designs on the outside walls were very intricate. The sign positioned outside the building had a small cross in the center of the writing that said 'Tamales Bay Church of God'. There was a large group of people around the entrance of the building standing around and socializing with others.

"Here you are, miss." Sara didn't realize that they were actually at the entrance of the building until the woman standing at the door handed her a pamphelt. Sara thanked her and walked into the building with Josh. They walked over to a large white table surrounded with metal chairs. Sara took a seat and took in the beautiful interior of the building.

The ground was covered with a short green carpet. The walls were multi-colored earthy tones. There were colored glass windows with scenes from various books of the bible. There was a large painting on the far center wall of the virgin Mary. Around the building was an acoustic guitar, a piano, and a drumset, which Sara assumed were for the church band.

"So, Sara..." Josh's voice made her turn to him. "I want to thank you for coming here with me."

"It's no problem, Josh. I wanted to come, and besides, if I didn't come I'd have to spend the day with Nancy's relatives," she said with a smirk. He laughed as he looked over at the table holding the refreshments.

"I'll be right back."

Sara nodded and watched as he poured two drinks and came back handing her a styrofoam cup. Sara looked at the dark liquid inside the cup and took a whiff of it. She looked at Josh.

"Don't worry, it's juice," he said with a grin and sipped some of his drink.

"Hey bro- tryin' to get her drunk at 12?" George asked from behind Josh, Frankie at his side. Josh spit out his drink a little, wiping the juice from his face with a napkin.

"Shut up, George!" he yelled. George laughed and ruffled his little brother's hair as he winked at Sara. Sara giggled after the scene had unfolded and gulped down the drink in her hand.

"Sorry about him..." Josh muttered.

"It's okay," Sara said with a smile. "I don't mind, I enjoy the humor."

Josh sent her a look before grinning and looking around the building. "Well, looks like food's being served...I'll get your plate."

"Josh, you don't-"

Before Sara could finish, Josh had already grabbed her plate and was loading it up with food on the tables. She giggled as she watched him get chewed out by an older man about cutting in line and him insisting that he didn't cut in line. By the time Josh returned, Sara was in stitches.

"Laugh it up, Sidle," he muttered handing her her plate.

"I'm sorry," she said wiping a tear from her eye.

"No, it's okay, the old folks here don't like me," he said with a grin and grabbed his plate. He came back with a plate full of various foods- tri-tip, mashed potatoes, bread, green beans, corn, chicken...

"You going to eat all that?" Sara asked with a smile.

"Watch me," he said already shoving a forkfull of tri-tip into his mouth. Sara grinned and bit into her bread roll as she watched him pack all the food in.

After the meal, Sara was shocked. "I can't believe you ate three servings of everything and two pieces of cherry cobler," she said, eyes wide.

Josh looked at her, slumped back in his chair with a smile. "Yup, well...I can't believe all you ate was a bread roll, a couple of bites of mashed potatoes, and a few bites of tri-tip," he said with a grin.

Sara shrugged. "I don't eat much."

He nodded and got up, groaning. "Man, I ate too much..."

"No, you think?" Sara asked with a grin. He shot her a look and stood up, waddling off not unlike a penguin. Sara watched as he waddled off and then came back with his gift to her in his lap.

"Alright, Sara," he said with a grin. "I bet you'll never guess what I got you!"

"Nope, I guess I won't," she said with a smile. He shoved the present in front of her and told her to open it and she slowly ripped at the paper, feeling a little bad that she was ruining such beautiful wrapping paper.

"Open it, open it, open it, open it, open it!" Josh said, jumping up and down like a little kid.

She shushed him and she opened the gift. She tilted her head and then it hit her. She knew what this was.

"This isn't..." she whispered, butterfiles forming in her stomach. Josh just grinned smugly as he watched her open the gift further.

Sara's hands were shaking, her fingers were sending electricity through her body as she touched the gift and slowly opened the silver metal box. Her eyes widened as she took in what was presented in front of her.

"How...how did you know?" she asked covering her mouth.

"You told me, remember? Ms. Forensic Scientist?"

Sara wrapped her arms around his neck, almost knocking him out of his chair. The gift he had given her was actually a small crimes-scene kit. Inside was a box of latex gloves, specimen cups, fingerprint dust, an ink pad, tweezers, plastic evidence bags, a small torch, some swabs, and even some small little booties. Sara wasn't able to tell what else was in the box because of the tears forming in her eyes.

"Hey, hey, don't cry," Josh said.

"THANK YOU!" Sara yelled in between her cries of joy. The tears ran down her face slowly, but they were tears of joy. This had to be one of the happiest moments of her life.

Josh smiled and stuck a hand in the kit, careful not to touch anything important, but maneuvered his hand inside and pulled out a small bottle.

"Is that..." Sara said in a whisper.

"Yup!" he said proudly. "Phenolphthalein!"

She almost squealed as she slowly took it from his hands and held it in her tiny, still shaking hands. She turned to look at Josh who had pulled out a small spray bottle. "Oh no...you didn't get luminol..." she said with a grin. He nodded and handed it to her. "How did you find this?" she asked.

"I have a cousin in Texas. He's a forensic scientist. I pulled a few strings."

Sara hugged him tightly. "Thank you."

He patted her back. "No problem. I'll be looking forward to seeing you testifying with me in court, Ms. Sidle."

Sara backed away and then she picked up the gift from her. "Here."

"For me?"

"Duh," she said with a smile.

He grinned and slowly took out the bright yellow tissue paper. As soon as all of the paper was out of the bag, he pulled out the gift. It was soft, he noted. He pulled it out.

"It's all I really have, but I wanted you to have it. I've had it since I was little," Sara said with a smile.

He smiled as he looked at the small stuffed blue hippo in front of him. He put a hand on his shoulder. "I love it."

Sara smiled. "Really?"

He laughed. "Of course! I love hippos!"

She grinned. "You do?"

"Yes! When I was little I told my dad I wanted a hippo as a pet."

Sara giggled. "I'm glad you like it."

He smiled. "It's perfect."

As the night winded down, Sara got sleepy. Josh had to work to get her into George's car to drive to their house. When they finally arrived at their house, she sat down on the couch and closed her eyes falling asleep.

Josh watched her sleeping with a smile. He walked into the kitchen and poured himself a glass of orange juice. He walked back into the living room with his glass and smiled. "Sleep well my little forensic scientist."

Blue hippo!
I meant Blue hippo when I guessed 'Teddy'! Really! :lol:

Man, she got luminol! Why didn't I get luminol for my birthday? :p Nvm, there's still Christmas. :D

She rolled her eyes- almost everything in her closet was the same. She expected this to be the way her wardrobe would be when she grew up.
Ah, a little premonition I see! ;)

Great chapter! :D

Thanks!

Little note: My mom and I actually just talked about this story and I told her about some of the things I am hung-up on...note that some of the chapters in this story may not be able to be posted on this site...this is in later years.

Sad?? what? oh no... well i thought the chapter was great like all the others! hmmmm.. past PG-13?? :lol: as in violence or *cough* other stuff? jk jk

Ah...you know what, it may not be in her childhood, I may squeeze it in in teen years! Yeah, that's what I'll do! I'm not going to go into a whole lot of detail, so it may not cross the PG-13 line...;)

I discussed it with my mom and she suggested it...it seemed like a believeable idea, I'm going to try it. It goes more into Sara's life leading up to her living at the crime lab and the certain cases she gets emotional about. ;)

It's so cool that you discuss this with your mom... I guess excellent writing runs in your family. :)

Anyhoo, don't keep us waiting! :D Write moreeee...

lol You know what? I've decided to put it in later years...yeah...okay, it shouldn't exceed the PG-13 rule. :D New chapter!

December 25, 1984- Residence of Ted and Nancy Wilcoff

Sara had woken up Christmas morning excitedly. She couldn't remember the last time she had woken up on a holiday actually excited. As soon as she had gotten up from her bed, she ran into the living room. Ted had come in banging a wooden spoon on pots and pans, scaring Sara half-to-death thus waking her up, and he forbid her from making up her bed before opening presents.

Sara walked into the living room and sat down in front of the tree. It was a nice tree- there weren't many pine needles on the floor and the ones still on the tree were a nice deep green color. The tree was covered with Christmas ornaments, including Ted's signature Top Gun ornament he won off eBay.

Sara watched Ted and Nancy who were sitting on the couch. Nancy was sipping a hot cup of coffee and Ted was fidgeting in his seat. Sara couldn't tell who was more excited- her or Ted.

"Sara, you can go ahead and hand out the presents," Nancy said taking a sip of her coffee. Sara nodded and looked around the tree. She was hesitant, but she grabbed a present and tossed it to Ted.

"There you go, it's from me to you," Sara said with a grin.

Ted raised a brow and looked at the wrapped gift. "You didn't have to-"

"Just open it," Sara said smiling. Ted shrugged and ripped the paper off of the gift. As he looked at Sara's gift, his eyes filled with tears. He stuttered as he spoke and his hands were shaking.

"You...y-y-y-..." he stuttered as a single tear ran down his face. "THANK YOU!" He held in his hands a special copy of Top Gun. He didn't have his own copy of the movie, he had recorded it on TV and watched it over and over and over again.

"You're welcome, Ted," Sara said with a smile and tossed another gift to Nancy. "Go ahead and open it," she said with a grin.

Nancy ripped the paper off of the gift. She laughed when she saw what Sara had gotten her.

"Thought you'd need those," Sara laughed pointing at the ear plugs Nancy held in her hands.

"Yes, thank you," Nancy said smiling. "Go ahead and open your presents."

Sara blinked. "Um...okay." She looked around the tree and found a gift to her. She swallowed and studied the green envelope, her fingers running over the smoothly-folded edges and the clear pieces of tape...

"Open it!" Ted said jumping up and down. Sara giggled and nodded. She slowly ripped the paper, irritatiing Ted. She smiled and when she opened it up, she put a hand over her mouth gasping.

"Oh my god..." she said reading over the envelope. It couldn't have been right...so many zeroes...

"Yup," Nancy said proudly.

"You guys...you guys are giving me $2000?" she asked, a single tear running down her cheek.

Nancy and Ted smiled. "We assumed it was the proper amount. You'll use it wisely, we know that."

Sara jumped up and almost tackled them both in a tight hug. She cried tears of joy and Ted and Nancy just tried to calm her down as they told her that they wanted to give her the money and that she deserved it.

After getting everything cleaned up, the doorbell rang. Sara jumped up and ran to the door. She opened it up and found Josh standing outside her door with a steaming thermos in his hand.

"Merry Christmas, Sar," he said with a smile.

"Same to you. Would you like to come in?"

Josh nodded and stepped through the door. "I brought some hot chocolate...Frankie's special recipe."

Sara smiled. "Alright, that sounds good to me. I'll show you to the kitchen." Sara walked through the entryway and into the kitchen where she took out two mugs and handed one to Josh. Josh unscrewed the lid of the steaming thermos and poured himself a cup of the steaming liquid and a cup for Sara.

"Cheers," Josh said as she sipped his drink.

"Wow," Sara said after taking a sip. "This is great."

Josh grinned. "Yeah...Frankie claims she has a gift..." Josh looked around and leaned closer to her. "She just puts some cinnamon in it and a little extra milk," he said in a whisper.

Sara giggled as she took another sip of the steaming liquid. They were about to continue their conversation when a scream came from down the hall.

"What's wrong?" Sara asked running into the room the scream came from.

Nancy was making a scene, running back-and-forth. "Someone stole the last cookie from my secret stash!"

Sara raised a brow- secret? Sara knew where it was, it wasn't hard to find, she had found it cleaning the house one day. "Um...okay."

"Not okay!" Nancy said. "I wanted that cookie! I was saving it!"

A grin was tugging at the corners of Sara's mouth as Josh spoke. "Well, you do have a forensic scientist in the house."

Sara tilted her head. "I'm not-"

"Great!" Nancy said. "Get to work, young lady!" Nancy said walking out of the room.

Sara smiled and looked at Josh. "Well...shall we go to my lab?"

Inside Sara's room, she was busy slipping on a pair of latex gloves. "I can't believe I'm doing this."

Josh smirked. "Come on, it'll be fun."

Sara sent him a look before sighing. "I guess so..." she said and walked into the bedroom. Josh turned on the light.

"Turn it off," Sara said. "I want to see what the scene looked like originally."

Josh rolled his eyes. "Scientists..." he muttered and turned off the lights.

Sara smiled. "Thank you." She flicked on her maglite and began combing the ground. "Well..." she said picking a fiber up with her tweezers. "Looks like Ted's been here," she said putting the fiber in a bindle.

"It is his bedroom too," Josh pointed out.

"Yeah, but this fiber is denim, it wouldn't have just fallen off a pair of jeans or a shirt easily. It looks like it was torn. There's a sharp wire sticking out of this chair, and Nancy hid her cookie stash behind the chair. Makes me think it was ripped by the wire."

Josh nodded. "Sounds believeable, but how do you know it's from a pair of Ted's jeans?"

Sara held it up to his nose. "Smell."

Ted took a whiff of it. "What's that smell?"

"Ice cream- cookie dough to be exact. Ted gets his ice cream everywhere."

Josh grinned as Sara continued to scope the area. "Alright...hand me my print powder, please?"

"You don't have a fingerprint lab."

"Just gimme."

He smiled and handed her the plastic container holding the black powder and her brush. "Alright, I'm going to print the cookie jar," she said running the brush over the jar. "And that should give us some prints."

After printing it, she lifted three prints. She grabbed a magnifying glass and looked over each one. "Alright...do me a favor and go get Nancy's fingerprints," Sara said handing him the ink pad and a piece of paper. Josh nodded and walked off. He came back and handed her the paper. "Okay, now for the comparison." She looked at the center swirls of the prints. Two of the prints on the car seemed to be Nancy's, but there was one print that was unknown. Sara stood up smiling. "I know who did this." She walked out of the room and found Ted sitting in the living room watching Top Gun with his ice cream. "Ted, I need to talk to you."

Ted blinked. "What is it?" he asked.

"You stole the last cookie from Nancy's stash."

He blinked again. "That's ridiculous!"

"Really?" she asked with a grin. "Give me your fingerprints and we'll see."

He blinked and looked at the ink pad in front of Sara. "All RIGHT! I ATE THE LAST COOKIE!"

Nancy heard this and stormed into the room. "What? Why?"

He lowered his head. "I was hungry," he shrugged.

Nancy turned to Sara and thanked her before chewing out Ted. Sara walked back into her room and put everything up.

"So, case closed," Sara said pulling off her latex glove.

:lol: So now we've got the answer to the age-old question of "Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar"! It's Ted! :lol:

Pretty cool how you got Sara working on a case there! Can't believe I got the honor of seeing her work on her first case ever! :D

Oh, and Ted is about as sloppy as me. :p I get my Ben & Jerry's everwhere too! :lol:

Is Sara going to keep her money gift in a college fund or spend it? I think she's wise, but treating herself once in a while wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Back