The Life & Times of Sara Sidle

This is the chapter before it:

July 20, 1986- 8:48 am- Residence of Ted and Nancy Wilcoff

Awaking with a groan, Sara rubbed the remaining sleep from her eyes. Yawning, she stood up and started making her bed. She through a shirt on the floor that had been on her bed from the day before, and pulled the sheets and blankets up by her pillow. After straightening out the edges, she headed over to her closet.

She was hesitant on what she would wear that day. After going through her 'diverse' wardrobe, she picked out a pair of jeans and a red t-shirt. Simple.

She slipped the clothes on and tied her shoes to her feet. After tying her sneakers, she walked out of her room. With a smile, she walked down the hallway looking at the various pictures on the walls of the house. She went into the kitchen and went to the fridge taking out the orange juice carton and pouring herself a glass.

As she drank her orange juice, she felt someone watching her. She opened one of her eyes only in time to spit out the amount of juice that was in her mouth as she saw the person sitting at the kitchen table. This person was not Josh. They were not Ted. And they were not Nancy. The person sitting at the cherry oak table of the kitchen was a blonde-haired, green-eyed teen about 16 if not a little older. He was wearing a black t-shirt and his black jeans were baggy, the pantlegs dragging on the floor.

"Good morning," he said with a smile as he took a bite of a waffle.

"Who...who...who are you?" she asked, wiping orange juice from her face.

He laughed and Nancy and Ted ran into the room.

"Sara! I see you've-"

"Who is this?" Sara asked pointing to the teen.

"Oh! I'm sorry, this is Matthew, he's coming to live with us!"

Matthew looked up from his waffle. "Nice to meet you, Sara."

Sara sighed in relief as Ted and Nancy left. She walked over to him. "I'm sorry for freaking out, I mean-"

He laughed. "It's okay, I understand how awkward it must have seemed to have a complete stranger sitting at your kitchen table."

She giggled. "Yeah."

"So how old are you, Sara?" he asked taking a bite of his waffle.

"I'm 14."

"Really? You don't look 14," he said with a smile. "I'm 18."

Sara nodded. "So...Matthew..."

"Call me 'Matt'."

"Matt..." she began again. "Why are you in Foster Care?"

Matthew put his fork down and tilted his head, thinking. "Well, my parents are both dead."

"I'm sorry to hear that..."

"Nah, it's okay. I've gotten over it," he said picking up his fork and eating again.

"Um...okay," Sara said, a bit confused at how well he was taking this.

"Sara, you've got a visitor!" Nancy called. Sara excused herself and walked over to the door to find Josh standing on the doorstep.

"Hey you," he said with a smile.

"Hey Josh," she greeted. "Want to come in?"

"Sure."

Josh stepped through the doorway and walked into the living room. He walked into the kitchen and saw Matthew. He froze and ran back into the living room pulling Sara along with him.

"Sara, you've got a creepy guy sitting in your kitchen," Josh said.

Sara laughed. "He's my new foster brother."

"Foster brother?"

"Yes, his parents are both dead."

"Oh..." Josh poked his head in the kitchen and Matthew waved before he poked his head back out. "I don't like him."

"What?" Sara asked.

"I don't like him, Sar, I don't think he should be staying with you."

"Why?" Sara asked.

"Look at him...I mean...he's older than you, right?"

Sara responded with a nod.

"And...I don't know...he's going to be living under the same roof-"

"Yo."

Josh jumped when he heard Matthew's voice. He turned to look at Matthew who was standing next to them with a smile on his face. "I didn't interrupt anything, I hope," Matthew said.

"No, you didn't," Sara said with a smile and turned to Josh.

"Uh...no, you didn't," Josh said scratching his head.

"Okay, good," Josh said. "Sara, would you come help me unload my things into my room?"

Sara smiled. "Sure."

Sara turned and followed Matthew into his room. Josh gave Matthew a look before they disappeared around the corner. Once inside the room, Sara tore open a box and began unloading things onto the green shag carpet in the room.

"You like music as I can see," Sara said with a smile as she unloaded various CDs.

He smiled. "Yeah, I love it," he said as he threw his clothes onto the queen bed in the corner. Sara looked at the queen bed and frowned a bit- she got the wimpy twin bed. "So do you like music?" he asked her.

Sara blinked. "Yeah."

"That's good, because with me in this house, you're going to hear a whole lot of it."

Sara laughed. "I'm okay with that."

"You sure it won't disturb your reading?"

Sara tilted her head. "Nancy and Ted told me you like to read," he clarified.

She nodded. "Ah...yeah, I love reading...and many other things."

Sara continued to unload things from the boxes. Moving from box to box, her and Matthew talked a lot about themselves. They spoke of their interests and the things that set them off, things they did when they were bored, where they went to school, etc. Josh was standing outside the door, cautiously. He still didn't think this guy was as great as he was making himself out to be. Something about Matthew just rubbed Josh the wrong way. His big brother instincts were telling him Sara was not safe with this guy. And his gut was telling him too.

The door flew open and Sara and Matthew walked out of the room. Josh smiled. "Hey Sara."

"Hey Josh."

"Listen, Sara," Matthew began. Josh sent him a glare. "You want to go get some ice cream or a smoothie or something? I can drive."

Sara nodded. "That sounds nice." She turned to Josh. "Can Josh come?"

Matthew looked over at Josh. They were both staring at each other with hardened glares as Sara failed to notice the awkward exchange.

"It's a small car," Matthew added.

"It's Ted and Nancy's car, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Then there's room. Come on, Josh," Sara said and took Josh's arm, leading him out of the house behind her. Josh sent a grin Matthew's way who glared at him.

The ride to the ice cream parlor was silent except for the times Matthew had to engage the turn signal and the few times someone sneezed or coughed. They parked in front of the building and walked inside.

"I've never been here before," Sara said.

Matthew nodded. "It's kind of in an out-there place."

Josh stayed close to Sara's side, not wanting to move away from her for one second. As Sara browsed the various bins of ice cream looking for a flavor she would like, Josh gave Matthew hard glares.

When they finally sat down at a table, Josh barely touched his ice cream. He sat close to Sara, again eyeing Matthew closely. Whenever Matthew opened his mouth, Josh wanted to slug him. Everything Matthew said just reassured Josh that this guy did not belong around Sara.

When they left, Sara told Matthew Josh's address. They dropped him off, though Josh did not want to leave Sara. He was holding onto the sides of the car and finally the car door as Sara was pulling him out of the car as Matthew waited in the car. When she finally pryed him off of the car, he was whispering things in her ear.

"Sara, don't do this, I can't leave you with him."

"What are you talking about, Josh?"

"He's not good! My big brother senses are tingling, and not in a good way, Sar!"

Sara giggled. "Do I sense a little jealousy?"

He blinked. "No! That's not what it is! I'm serious, Sara- this guy is not good. I don't want to leave you alone with him!"

"Josh, I'll be fine," Sara said rolling her eyes. She opened the front door to his house and pushed him inside.

"Sara! Sara, no!" Josh said banging on the door. He tried opening it but it was jammed and he kicked and punched it yelling after her as she got in the car. "SARA! COME BACK!"

But they had already drove off.

I don't have a good feeling about this new guy Matt. :(

I hope the negative energy Josh gets from Matt will not be played out. I can imagine a million different things Matt could do to hurt Sara! Oh no! :eek:

I hope Sara will be safe. :(

TWO events are going to happen? So the first thing that is going to happen will ultimately culminate into a major sad event? :eek:

Double oh no! :(

I'll be really looking forward to your next installment. Oh my. :(

I don't mean to be all nitpicky or anything. But if Matt is really 18, he would not be in a foster family. All children age out of the system at 18. If he was really lucky, he could have stayed with his foster parents ( for free), but it's highly unlikely he'd get a brand new family.

OMG! NO YOU DIDN'T!!! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... POOR SARA!! MATT SHOULD BURN IN HELL.. well maybe. but still. i guess i sort of figured that though...

that was a depressing chapter.. :(

That friggin SOB!! :mad: That bloody BAST*RD!!!! :mad: Man I'm so pissed! Arrggh!!!!

Yes this chapter is sad and depressing. :( You really got me seething with anger with what the SOB has done. Poor Sara. :(

Please continue... I want to know what'll happen...

No no, you're not crazy. :) Just a really talented and skilled writer! :D

Your story evoked a thousand emotions. And that's tough to achieve yet you did it beautifully. :)

Continue, yes? :)

Back