The Life & Times of Sara Sidle

Good work! :) I don't blame Sara for her less-than-acceptable behavior. She's had her dad killed by her mom, her school-mates pushing her around, and now... she has to go see a shrink who's hung up depressing pictures on the walls! :eek: Poor Sara! :(

And just like Mini_Catherine, I'm so emotionally involved! :lol:

*giggles* :lol: Happy birthday, Sidler! This is my fav. fanfic, along with Baby on the way, by CSIgal. Great! But I can never find enough..well, shall we say, insperation to write my own. :( *cries*..Hmm, maybe a joint fanfic with someone..neway, i LOVE this fic..keep up the good work, QTraven!

^ Hehe! Thanks! :) This fanfic and Baby On The Way are my two most favorite fan fics too! Yay! :D (Bet you can guess by now what 'shipper I am ;)) I'd love to write my own but then I'd have to hide in my closet beacause it'd be sooo bad! :( Haha!

Yup, you're doing very well, raven! :D

Aww, thanks guys! Here's another chapter- it's a bit sad but there's happiness at the end of it :D

November 5, 1984- Residence of Nancy and Ted Wilcoff- 9:30 pm

Sara started stirring. She groaned as she lifted her head from the small pillow lying under her and she squinted as her eyes adjusted to the faint light coming into the room from underneath her closed door. She yawned quietly as she sat upright on the bed and looked at her digital clock- she had been out for almost four hours, but she didn’t mind, she needed the rest and she didn’t want to discuss in detail what happened at the counseling center.

“Ted, what’re we going to do?”

Sara tilted her head a bit as she heard Nancy’s concerned and confused voice from behind her door in the hallway.

“I don’t know Nance, we’ll think of something.”

“You heard what the therapist said…how the session went…”

“Don’t worry about it Nancy.”

“But Ted-“

“She’s just insecure about it, alright? How would you feel if something like that happened to you?”

Nancy sighed. “I guess you’re right…okay.”

Sara rolled her eyes- they didn’t know the half of it. Insecure? Well of course she felt insecure, who wouldn’t?

She slowly got to her feet and threw her door open making both Nancy and Ted jump. They stared at her as she squinted at the harsh light coming from the lamps and the lights above her. She brushed some hair away from her face as she made her way to the kitchen. She opened the fridge and grabbed the carton of orange juice and poured herself a big glass. She drank it quickly, quenching her thirst and the harsh dryness of her throat.

“I made you a sandwich,” Nancy said handing Sara a plate. Sara just nodded as she grabbed the peanut butter and jelly sandwich from her and began to slowly eat it.

Ted and Nancy looked at each other before they both went back to the things they were doing to try and make it look like they weren’t watching Sara like hawks. Sara swallowed the bit of the sandwich that was in her mouth. She stared at both Nancy and Ted who quickly looked away once they noticed she made eye contact with them.

Ted had pulled an apple out from the fruit bowl and was looking around for a knife in one of the drawers. He muttered to himself as he looked around for it and finally found what he was looking for in one of the overhead cupboards. He pulled out a large knife from the holder in the cupboard and began to wash the apple at the sink.

Sara had picked up her plate and walked over to the sink to get a paper towel to serve as a napkin. The color drained from her face when she saw the large knife sitting on a dishtowel next to her. She backed away, her hands trembling and she dropped the plate holding her sandwich making it shatter into pieces.
Ted quickly looked over at Sara at the sound of the shattering glass. “Sara? Sara, are you okay?”

Sara backed away more, her eyes still fixed on the knife. She felt the need to run.

“Sara? Sara, what’s wrong?” Nancy asked approaching her as Ted picked up the tiny remains of the plate.

Sara’s gaze was not faltering- her eyes stayed on the knife. She kept backing up until her back hit the wall, which made her jump. She could feel her heart beating quicker and louder than before and she was sweating like crazy. She had nauseous feeling in her stomach and she ran down the hallway into the bathroom.

Nancy quickly followed and when she walked into the bathroom, she discovered Sara leant over the toilet emptying the contents of her stomach.

Sara couldn’t stop retching- the thought of that night, the awful things they had said to each other, the blood- oh god there was so much blood- the loud sirens blaring, the social services worker, the flash of the silver blade digging into her father’s chest again and again…

“Sara, it’s okay.”

Sara hadn’t even noticed the tears running down her cheeks until Nancy was helping to wipe them away. She held her hair back as she continued to retch, her body shaking violently each time.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, Sara’s body was exhausted and she fell back against the bathroom wall panting. Ted and Nancy were both by her side now. “Ted, take her to her room.”

Ted nodded and slowly moved around Nancy to Sara. He wrapped his arms around her limp but shaking form and carried her to her room as Nancy wetted a rag. As he set Sara down on her bed, he wrapped her in a blanket. Nancy ran back into the room setting the wetted rag on Sara’s head before disappearing into the kitchen. When she had returned she came back with a small bucket, which she set down next to Sara’s bed on the floor.

The left her alone after her body had stopped shaking as much, but they kept her door cracked so it would be easy to check up on her. Sara lay in her bed tossing and turning all night. She couldn’t get the images out of her mind. She had tried so hard to just forget it all and now it was coming back to haunt her.

November 6, 1984- 10:30 am

“Sara?”

Sara stirred at the sound of the familiar whisper.

“Sara?”

She slowly opened her eyes, squinting at the sunlight coming into the room. The person standing in her room closed the blinds allowing her to see the room better without squinting at the light.

“Sara, are you okay?”

Sara slowly sat up rubbing her head. “I think so…”

“You gave Nancy and Ted quite a scare there, Sar.”

Sara smiled a little at the mention of her new nickname again. “And how would you know that, Joshie?”

He smiled. “I came by this morning to see if you wanted to do something, but Nancy told me about what happened last night.”

She nodded, lowering her head a little. “I see.”

“Are you okay now?”

“I…I don’t know.”

Josh walked to the edge of her bed and took a seat. “They…they mentioned a knife…that…that you freaked out when you saw the knife.”

Sara looked up at Josh like an abandoned puppy found in an alley.

“Sara, was…was that the reason you got sick?”

She sighed. “It…it was a combination of things…the shrink at that stupid ‘Happy Campers’ place was horrible…when I got there I just felt…I didn’t feel right, I…I felt really insecure and…I even felt sick. I didn’t want to talk about it…I…I snapped at the shrink.”

Josh nodded.

“And then…I came home and I guess I made a scene…I went to my room and fell asleep and then I got up later. I walked into the kitchen and Nancy handed me a sandwich she had made me. I knew I should eat even though I wasn’t hungry and I began nibbling at the sandwich…the whole time having Nancy and Ted watch over me like a hawk. But then…Ted was looking for a knife to cut his apple and…and the thoughts of that night just came flooding back.”

Josh put a hand on her shoulder. “But it’s over.”

“I know, but…I can’t get those images out of my mind…the awful things they said to each other…and to me…the…the smell of iron in the air…the blood- god Josh, there was so much blood!”

Sara had now broken down in sobs and Josh put a comforting arm around her. “Hey, hey, it’s okay, shh…”

Sara slowly calmed down and as she did she laughed a little attempting to lighten up the mood. “You’re good at this.”

He smiled. “I’ve been at it a while.”

Sara smiled and then narrowed her eyes sighing. “I’m sorry I’m doing this to you, I…I shouldn’t have brought you into this-“

“Sara, it’s okay, I don’t mind. I’m your friend, this is what friends do.”

Sara would not have known that if he hadn’t said that since Josh was the only friend she ever had; she was still new to the friend world.

“Sara, listen, uh…”

Sara looked up to see a blushing Josh.
“I uh…there’s this thing at my church in December around Christmas time and…uh…” Josh was stuttering as he walked back-and-forth in the room rubbing his head. “I uh…it’s a Christmas dinner and I just…I wanted to know if…”

Sara looked at him smiling as he continued to stutter and choke on his words.

“If uh…you and I could…you know…go…together?” Josh finished. He swallowed hard thinking to himself about how this whole attempt at asking Sara to the Christmas dinner had been ruined.

“Of course, Josh.”

Josh’s eyes widened as Sara said those words. “I uh…really?”

Sara giggled. “Yes.”

He smiled as a flush of red appeared back in his cheeks and he again began to choke on his words. “Okay, uh…it’s…it’s uh…on the twentieth of December, I’ll uh…I’ll uh…come get you around 5:30.”

She smiled. “Sounds good.”

“Okay, uh…bye.”

Josh walked out of the house quickly as Sara sat in her room giggling to herself.

She never saw Josh jump up and down or hear his cheers of glee.

Yay! :D The return of Josh is always good! :lol: You're right, there can't be a happier ending than that! ;)

Poor Sara, I think she's suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. :( (I learnt that term from The West Wing :lol:)

Btw raven, I wanna vote for you and Catherinesmyidol for the fanfic category ok? I hope I can pick 2! You guys are extremely talented! :)

Yay! :D The return of Josh is always good! :lol: You're right, there can't be a happier ending than that! ;)

Poor Sara, I think she's suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. :( (I learnt that term from The West Wing :lol:)

Btw raven, I wanna vote for you and Catherinesmyidol for the fanfic category ok? I hope I can pick 2! You guys are extremely talented! :)

Aww, thanks, SidLer :) *feels all warm and fuzzy*

quote_the_raven... i love it.. the emotions are captured well.

just curious how long is the story going to be? that would be awesome if it was through her whole life up until season 6 but that would take.. what? monthes! and you could write about her experiences and college! oh boy that would be interesting.. but then again that would take a while...

keep up the awesome story! (=

quote_the_raven... i love it.. the emotions are captured well.

just curious how long is the story going to be? that would be awesome if it was through her whole life up until season 6 but that would take.. what? monthes! and you could write about her experiences and college! oh boy that would be interesting.. but then again that would take a while...

keep up the awesome story! (=

Thank you, it really does mean a lot to me. I'm not sure how long it's going to be, I may just go up until high school or I may make seperate fics (so they don't get super long) going into teen and adult years.

I second the motion! :lol:

Take the story all the way up to Season 6! :D It probably definitely will take months (or even years! :eek:) to achieve, but we'll wait for you! ;) :D

I second the motion! :lol:

Take the story all the way up to Season 6! :D It probably definitely will take months (or even years! :eek:) to achieve, but we'll wait for you! ;) :D

Ha, thanks guys, I'd love to go into adult years, though I feel I'd have some trouble with teen years, but I'm considering it even more now! You two make a persuasive argument! :D

mwhahahhah! well the adult years would be good.. well it was nice persuasive arguement. :) can't wait for the next chapter!

Ha, I think I'm going to do it, guys! :D

New chapter:

Notes: In this chapter, I wanted to show how big a character Josh plays in Sara's life and I wanted to touch up on some of Sara's past (which you will know what I'm talking about as you read further into the chapter) leading up to her working at the crime lab in Vegas. I wanted to show how emotional Sara could get about certain situations, such as the ones she does in the series. Ths kid described in this chapter in her history class is based off of someone my sister knows in real life- a kid goes to her high school and had the same points of view as the character does (which by the way, I think is total b.s.). Anyways, here's the next chapter!

November 29, 1984- 6:45 am

Sara rolled out of bed that morning and fixed the creases in the sheets as she made it up and got ready to take her shower. After making sure that the bed was made-up nicely, she ran into the bathroom and started the faucets to warm the water up for her shower. She ran back to her bedroom and searched through her closet to find the clothes she would wear to school that day, and picked out a pair of dark jeans and a orange-red blouse. She ran back into the bathroom (she was putting on quite a show for Ted who was in his bedroom fixing his tie), and she closed the door as she grabbed a towel and wash-cloth.

Before stepping into the shower, she slipped off the beaded bracelet Josh had given her. She felt bad to take it off, but she didn't want to ruin it. Taking it off made her feel naked; the bracelet gave her a strong sense of reassurance. It was almost as if the bracelet reminded her that Josh was always with her, that he was really her friend and that this wasn't some sick, twisted dream.

As she emerged from the shower, steam erupted from the closed shower door and she grabbed her towel wrapping it around herself. She immediately made a grab for the bracelet after she made sure her hands were dry, her hand hovering above it and grabbing it as if something had bitten her hand. She slid it on her wrist and grinned a little as she stared at it momentarily before opening the door and looking around the corners of the hallway to make sure the coast was clear and ran into her room, closing the door behind her.

She quickly slipped on her clothes and fumbled with her shoelaces until she had made sure that her sneakers were tied securely on her feet. She opened her door after grabbing a hair brush and started brushing out the now damp, long strands of brown hair. She walked back into the bathroom and grabbed the blow-dryer as she contined to comb out her hair as she dried it.

After killing about twenty minutes, Sara walked into the kitchen to find Nancy yet again fixing breakfast. She sat down at the kitchen table and Nancy smiled as she walked over to her bringing her a plate and a glass of orange juice.

"Thanks," Sara said taking the glass and gulping it down. She looked down at the plate in front of her and noted that there was far too much food on the plate for one person- it looked as though Nancy had fixed an entire pan of scrambled eggs for her, given her at least seven pieces of bacon, four pieces of sausage, and two pieces of buttered toast.

"Nancy..."

"Yes?" Nancy asked looking up from the frying pan currently on the stove.

"Uh...this can't all be for me," Sara said motioning to the food in front of her.

"Yep, it is. I have told you so many times to get more meat on your bones but your eating habits are still the same! Now eat up, I'm making pancakes and waffles as we speak."

Sara looked at her in disbelief- she couldn't possibly expect her to try and pack all of this food down her tiny body. She slowly rose her fork and poked at her scrambled eggs, suddenly not very hungry; the thought of packing so much food down herself made her feel a little sick.

Ted walked into the kitchen fixing his hair with a small black comb which he always kept in the pocket of his brown slacks. He straightened out the sides of his black business jacket and fixed his tie.

"Coffee's made," Nancy said handing him a travel mug.

"Thanks, Nance."

"Uh...Ted?" Sara said.

Ted turned to face Sara as he blew on his coffee, desperately awaiting the addicting taste and aroma of the black liquid bliss.

"Uh...Nancy wants me to eat all of this plus waffles and pancakes!"

Now, Sara wasn't one to tattle, but she honestly couldn't persuade Nancy on her own that she was fine the way she was and that she couldn't eat this much food. Ted smiled at Sara and then turned to look at Nancy putting a hand on his hip.

"Now, Nance...this is harrassment."

Nancy looked apalled. "Harrassment? I'm trying to put more meat on her bones!"

"She can't eat that much Nance, leave the kid alone."

Nancy gave Ted her best death glare before Ted walked over to her and pecked her on the lips.

"G'bye, Nance."

Nancy was still glaring at him, but Sara knew they were just playing and that it would all be forgotten by dinner that night...unlike two certain somebodys Sara once knew...

"Have a good day, kiddo," Ted said giving Sara a hug and then walking out of the house while he climbed into his white Volvo.

"Well...at least eat something," Nancy said looking at Sara.

Sara grinned and grabbed a piece of toast. "Okay." She ran into the hallway and grabbed her backpack and walked out of the house. She smiled to herself as she ate the piece of toast and made her way to school. She normally wouldn't be happy about going to school, but on this day, she had so many other things to occupy her mind. Josh had asked her to the Christmas dance at his church- no one had ever asked her to do anything like that for as long as she had lived. For once she might get to spend the Christmas as a happy 12-year-old, not a sad, lonely, insecure child coming from an abusive family.

"SARA!"

Sara heard Josh's voice coming closer and closer before she turned around to actually see where he was. She didn't, however, get a good glimpse of his position because before she knew it, Josh had run into her sending them both to the ground.

"Oh my god, Sara! Are you okay?" Josh asked looking her over for injuries.

"I'm fine, Joshie," she said with a smile as he helped her up.

He was panting, but he smiled. "Okay, good...I'm sorry, I-"

"It's okay."

He nodded a little, embarrassed. "Okay, uh...then, shall we?" he asked motioning to the ground ahead of them.

"We shall."

They made their way to school, and they both went their seperate ways when they had to go to their lockers. Josh still kept Sara in his view, though- his big brother instincts told him to never let her out of his sight for fear something may happen. Sara found this humorous and cute at the same time- he was always near her and this made her feel safe.

She opened up her locker and put her things away before closing it up- it was a brief stop at her locker today. She headed off down the hallway to her history class and before she entered the classroom, she heard and saw Josh make a Fonz impression before disappearing around the corner. Sara giggled as she made her way into the classroom before her expression changed- great, the Wicked Witch of the West was wearing the perfume that always gave Sara a headache. Today, Sara was glad that she always sat in the back of the classroom because she wanted to be as far away from the smell and the woman as she possibly could. Sara wondered if the woman had mixed the concoction on her own, thinking to herself while smirking evily That Sidle girl always gets a headache with this!

Sara rolled her eyes at the insane thought, but part of her was still uncertain if it was true...it didn't seem that out there to tell the truth...

Sara looked down at the bracelet on her wrist and looked at the carvings on each individual bead- she could only imagine the grueling time and patience his grandmother must have put into creating such a small but beatiful piece of work. She ran her hands over each of the carvings, feeling their smoothed edges and soft but deep impresions left in each bead.

She slid it off her wrist, again feeling not as secure as before, but she held it securely in her hands as she inspected it further. She noted that the carvings looked to be japanese characters, and Sara wondered what they symbolized.

"Sara, come up here, please," the Wicked Witch of the West croaked.

Sara swallowed hard and slid the bracelet back on her wrist- she would need Josh with her for this one all the way!

"O-Okay..." she said quietly as she made her way up to the front of the class. She stood where the Wicked Witch instructed her to and then looked around through the students in the classroom until she picked another.

"Brad, come up here."

Sara sighed deeply- she had never known too much about Brad, but she did know one thing- he did not have a good reputation around the school. Sara never had really gotten a good vibe from him either, something told her to the moment she saw him that she would dislike him. The kid made his way through the rows of desks and kids as he attempted to hide the wad of gum he had in his mouth. He hid it under his tongue, which Sara quickly noticed, and he made his way to the front of the classroom with his hands in the pockets of his baggy jeans. He ran a hand through his dark red hair and smiled. "Yes?"

"I would like you and Sara to have a debate."

Sara tilted her head a bit in curiosity.

"I would like you too to discuss your different views on women's rights."

Sara could speak volumes about women's rights, heck she could write a humugous book on it, but she was a bit afraid of what Brad would say about the subject himself. If he said something to set her off...

"Sara, go first."

Sara nodded and cleared her throat a little. "Well, uh...I believe that women should have just as many rights as men. They shouldn't be singled out just because they're of a different gender, they play a just-as-important role in society that men do."

Right away Brad had scoffed at her words. Sara turned and looked at the other member of the debate who only rose his hand, eager to get his words out.

"Go ahead, Brad," the Wicked Witch said.

"Alright, what this girl here doesn't know," Brad said pointing to Sara. "Is that men do all the work- they bring home to dough, they fix the cars, there's really nothing they don't do. Now, I think it's easy to understand why she doesn't know this." He looked straight at Sara. "Because she's a female."

Sara was apalled at that statement and would have lunged at him like a tiger at his prey, but she didn't. Instead, she thought this out rationally and decided to give him what-for with her superior vocabulary and her stronger political views, but he would still get a mouthful.

"Women get jobs too, and they clean the house, they help to support a family- heck they give birth to their children, and they play a much bigger part in this world than the one you have stated, Mr. Hogan."

Brad was taken-aback at the firm yet calm tone in Sara's voice as she spoke. She had used his last name, now he felt this was serious.

"And all women should do is stay at home and clean."

Sara's eyes widened-- he did not just say that...

"Ex...excuse me?"

"All women should do is stay home and clean and take care of the kids."

With her jaw slightly dropped, she slowly walked closer and closer to Brad, her right hand rising and pointing straight at him.

"What makes you think that, huh? What if I said something like that about men? How would that make you feel? It'd piss you off, wouldn't it?"

The Wicked Witch of the West was now looking more like the Wicked Witch of the West- her skin was getting a green tint to it.

"Wouldn't it?" Sara asked again, now right up in his face. "Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I respect that, but I'm not going to just stand here and watch as you bash every single member of the female race spreading your bull crap!"

She left him staring at her with big eyes as she walked out of the classroom. Once outside, she took a deep breath, letting off some steam. She walked through the halls to the bathroom and walked inside. She cupped her hands and filled them with water and washed her face. After cooling down- both emotionally and physically- she dried her face off with a paper towel and walked out into the hallway. The classes were letting out and she grabbed her things from the history classroom and made her way to her next class.

As school progressed, nothing else like that happened. She went to her math class and then PE, which went over quite well. Melissa had backed off ever since she had stuck up for herself, and that was weight off her shoulders. She made her way to the lunchroom where she sat with Josh and talked a while as they ate their lunch.

"So Josh, um...I was wondering what these characters meant on the bracelet. I know they're japanese, I just don't know what they mean," Sara said holding the bracelet up.

"Ah..." Josh slowly took the bracelet from her tiny hands and held it up so she could see. "You see, this one..." he said turning it around and pointing to a single bead and its carving. "Means 'honesty'."

Sara nodded as he continued to look at the beads and their carvings. "This one means 'innocence'..." he turned it to another. "'Kindness'...'wisdom'...'beauty'..." And he blushed as he found the last one.

"What does that one mean?" Sara asked.

He turned to face her and his cheeks were flushed with the bright redness of embarrassment and shyness. "...'Love'."

She smiled and slowly took it back from him. He looked around nervously before she put a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you, I was curious."

He smiled as he noticed that she wasn't making this into a big deal and began eating his lunch again. "So I heard you bitch-slapped Brad."

She shot him a look.

"What? The news was everywhere!"

She smiled. "I suppose I did."

"Did he deserve it?"

She smiled at him. "Don't you think I would only have done it if he deserved it?"

He grinned. "Of course."

They finished their lunches and made their way to their last classes of the day. As the end of the school-day came, Josh bid Sara farewell as they approached his house, sending her hellos from both Frankie and George. She made her way home, barely walking through the door before Nancy had asked her how her day was at school.

"Just another day in paradise," she replied with a smile and walked down the hallway to her bedroom and dropped her backpack on the floor.

I have a question. How old are you? (I know actually) ;)

Your writing is absolutely flawless. And I'm not just saying that because-anything. From your first post till now, I have yet to see any typoes or speeling erors. ;) And I've read enough fan fics over the years to differentiate the good ones from the bad. You know where you stand. :) And you belong there.

That chappie was the longest you've written (I think - is it?) and most insightful. We get to see the emergence of Sara's feministic disposition and independence. I like your debate scene - FEMALE POWER, I tell ya! :lol: And I'm gonna go log on e-bay to see if I can find a bracelet exactly like hers! Haha! :D

Oh, and I'm glad you've decided to give into our 'persuasive arguments' and write Sara's character up to her adult years. Never underestimate the persuasive nature of CSI fans! When you can't write, you persuade! :lol:

Good work, keep going! :)

Back