The Life & Times of Sara Sidle

Sweet! I have to pack some more junk, and then I'll read. It'll be my incentive. :)

Geesh. You've been holding out on me. Lots of Sara stuff to read. I almost wish I didn't know it was there!

New chapter! Again, I apologize if it sucks, it's not the best, so slap me silly if it sucks ;)

August 1, 1986- 2:54 pm

Sara and Josh sat next to each other in the ambulance as they drove to the hospital. Sara was still shaking from what had happened and the EMTs had wrapped a blanket around her. Sara held on tightly to the sides of the blanket as she stared at the floor. Josh was watching her as he held a bag of ice against his head.

A bruise was now covering about half of Sara's right eye. Josh felt so stupid- he had left her alone. It was his fault that Matthew almost did...it again. He was too stupid to think that Matthew could've been there. He had promised Sara he was never going to hurt her again.

They arrived at the hospital and the EMTs jumped out. They helped Josh and Sara out and they quickly objected to the stretchers they had brought out. They instead followed the EMTs inside the emergency room and took a seat on two beds next to each other.

Josh put the bag of ice down, wincing as the pain in his head became more apparent. He turned to look at Sara. The white hospital blanket that had been placed around her shoulders was now gone, and she just sat with her legs crossed, rubbing her wrists where new bruises resembling fingers were forming. Her right shirt sleeve was torn exposing her upper arms and Josh winced when he saw more bruises forming on them as well. Her arms were laying in her lap covering the undone button and zipper on her pants.

Sara was pale. She was still shaking as much as she was in the ambulance and what scared Josh the most was that she wasn't making a sound. She hadn't talked since he had knocked Matthew unconscious in the alley, and even then she seemed to have had to put effort into forming the words. Sara's gaze was fixed on the white wall of their room. She wasn't blinking- she was just staring straight at the wall as if it were the most interesting thing in the world.

Josh, trying to alter her gaze and get a sound out of her, grabbed the remote and turned the TV on that was positioned on the upper right corner of the wall near his bed. When the TV came on, Sara didn't even blink. Josh pretended to not be watching Sara and he looked at a blue dinosaur dancing across the screen on the TV. He smiled and laughed a bit at the children's program, finding it absolutely ridiculous, but when he turned to Sara with a smile on his face, she still hadn't noticed him turn the TV on or his slight chuckle.

Josh was worried now. "Sara?"

Sara still stared at the wall of the room, not even flinching as he said her name.

"Sara?"

Still nothing.

"Sar?"

That got a small reaction. She blinked and turned her head a few degrees toward him.

"Sar, I...are..."

She turned and looked directly at him, her eyes staring directly into his, her mouth made into a frown.

"Are you okay, Sara?" Josh asked.

Sara stared at him for a moment before falling forward and collapsing on the bed. Josh quickly jumped up and ran over to her. He shook her gently as he put a hand on her forehead. "Sara? Sara, wake up, come on." Sara's eyes stayed closed as he attempted to wake her from her slumber. He threw the door to the room open, panicked, and looked around for a nurse. "Help! We need help in this room!"

Three nurses came running down the hallway and into the room. "What happened?"

"My friend...she...just collapsed," Josh said.

One of the nurses moved to Sara and gently rolled her over. She put a hand on her neck checking for a pulse. "She has a strong pulse, she probably just fainted."

"Why?" Josh asked.

"A lot of reasons. Perhaps shock or exhaustion," the nurse suggested. She slowly lifted Sara's limp form up and laid her head on the pillow of the hospital bed. Another brought in a blanket and draped it over her.

"What can we do?" Josh asked.

"The best thing to do right now is let her rest," one of the nurses said. She noticed the bump on his head. "Have you gotten your head checked?"

"What?" Josh blinked. "Um...no."

"We should do the exam right now, we need to make sure you didn't sustain any injuries to your head."

"But..." Josh turned to Sara's pale form on the bed.

"She'll be fine, she's asleep," the nurse told him. "Come on," she said and led him out of the room. Josh took one more look at Sara before walking out with the nurse.

Right after the exam, Josh heard screaming. A scream that was all-too familiar. He quickly shot up and ran down the hallways to Sara's room, almost knocking over a few nurses on the way there. When he arrived at the room, Sara was being held down by nurses and doctors.

"Let me go!" Sara cried thrashing around on the bed. Her eyes were closed- she was still asleep.

Josh stood petrified by the sight in front of him. He had been in the room with Sara before when she had nightmares, but he had never before seen her- seen anyone for that matter- experience something this intense.

There were at least four nurses in the room holding her down and a doctor instructing them on what to do. The doctor was currently getting a syringe ready, filling it with a clear liquid and tapping the needle.

"NO!" Sara screamed, tears running down her cheeks as the nightmare continued and she thrashed violently against the nurses.

"Hold her!" the doctor said to the nurses as he approached with the syringe. The nurses held her arms and legs down as he injected the clear liquid into Sara's right arm. She continued to thrash against the nurses for a few moments after it had entered her body, but she finally stopped and laid shaking and whimpering quietly on the bed, drying streaks of tears running down her face.

The nurses walked out of the room after draping the white hospital blanket over her again. Josh stopped the doctor.

"What did you do?" Josh asked.

"We just gave her something to help her sleep, to calm her down," the doctor said. "She should be fine now."

Josh just nodded slowly as the doctor left the room and he ran instantly to Sara's side. She was still shaking. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly as she whispered incoherently. Josh could tell her body was trying its best to fight off the effects of the sedative that had been issued to her, but she finally gave in and stopped fighting it. She stopped whispering and slept.

"I'm so sorry, Sara," Josh whispered. "I was stupid...I..." He smiled a little bit. "You were right...I...I was just a stubborn ass. We were lost," he said with a slight chuckle. "I...I should never have left you alone," he said, lowering his head. "Because...because of my stupidity that bastard almost...he almost did it again!" Even though Sara was asleep, Josh continued to speak to her. "I...I promised to protect you...and...I'm sorry."

For a few moments, there was nothing but silence. Josh just sat with his head lowered holding Sara's hand tightly in his. His head popped up when the door was thrown open and four panting adults ran in.

"Sara!" Nancy and Ted said in unison looking down at the sleeping form of their foster daughter.

"Josh!" George and Frankie said in unison (though Frankie added the 'ie' at the end).

Nancy ran to Sara's side with Ted close behind. She kneeled down beside her and grabbed her other hand. "What happened?" she asked Josh.

"We...went for a walk," Josh started. George and Frankie had walked over to his side. George put a hand on his shoulder and Frankie was examining the bump on his head. "And...we got lost..." he continued. "I...I said we weren't and I went to the corner store to ask for directions..." He looked up at Nancy and Ted. "I left her alone! I...it's all my fault..."

"What's your fault?" Nancy asked.

"Matthew...Matthew almost...did...he almost did it again," Josh whispered lowering his head. He broke down in sobs. "It's all my fault..."

Nancy and Ted didn't respond to Josh's statement. Nancy just started crying and Ted was trying his best to comfort her. George and now Frankie were trying to calm Josh down.

A few hours later, Sara's eyes fluttered open. She looked around the room and saw Nancy and Ted sitting together in one chair sleeping to her left. To her right, Frankie and George were lying on Josh's bed and Josh's head was resting on the side of Sara's bed.

Sara smiled. "Now what is this?" Sara asked purposely raising the tone in her voice to wake them all up.

Nancy and Ted yawned as they woke up. Frankie let out a long squeaky yawn and Sara started giggling. George sat up rubbing his head and Josh perked up the second he heard Sara's voice.

"Sara?" Josh said.

"In the flesh," she said with a smile.

"SARA! OH MY GOD!" Josh said throwing his arms around her. "THANK GOD!"

Sara smiled a little bit. "I'm happy to see you too."

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW SCARED I WAS!"

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize," he said quickly. "I should be the one apologizing. This whole thing was my fault, I-"

"Josh, forget about it, it's fine."

Nancy wailed with happiness when she noticed Sara was awake and took her into a tight hug. Josh just smiled as he watched Ted and Nancy ask ten questions a second and Sara trying to answer each of them just as fast. George and Frankie stood behind Josh, each with a hand on his shoulder.

A knock came at the door and a well-dressed woman walked in. She had a badge positioned on the right brest pocket of her business suit. "I'm sorry to ask this, but I need both of your accounts of what happened," the woman said looking at both Josh and Sara.

*Hugs poor Sara* Poor thing! And the plot thickens. What kind of a badge? Raven! Police? CPS? UPS? What's the deal!?

That was awesome, in case you didn't already know :).

lol Supposed to be a detective ;) Anyways, I might have Josh and Sara interviewed and then a court scene...I'm hoping it won't suck because of inaccuracies! :lol:

Thankies :D I'm going to need to depend on my Law & Order knowledge for the next chapter! :D I'm hoping to try and make the defendant's (Matt) lawyer a total ass :S

Yeah! a total ass! then he would be jsut like matt! Are you gonna have nancy and ted take parenting classes? is that what you were taking about way up there or am i totally clueless? :)

You should have that store clerk come back and testify for matt and then have the whole entire thing blow up in matt and the store clerk's faces! lol Im mean! :D

And yes sell this to either MAC or the producers of CSI and then you can send me an autographed copy! lol my address is... lol MORE more mOrE! :D

Hehe, not quite! ;) Good guess, though! :p

Thanks guys, my mom and sister started reading it last night and my sister told me she read the first page-and-a-half before my mom snatched it back and she said it was great! *sniff*

Wait. The autograph line starts behind me, 'cause I asked for one first! Don't make me push people... (just kidding... I'm nice )

A totally unrelated question: Is the blue dinosaur Josh was watching on the telly Barney's relative? Hehe. I'm sorry! I watched A LOT of Barney when I was a kid. ;)

Poor Sara.. Poor Josh.. Poor Sara again. :( How come the authorities have not caught Matt since the first attack?? Were they busy munching on donuts?! :mad: :p

I enjoyed the story and I can't wait for the courtroom scene! :)

Can't wait for the next chapter!

It was pretty good! my favorite saying.. not favorite, overused. :0

Back