"The Happy Place" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 11, 2008.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:lol: I didn't notice that about the date of the paternity papers. That's weird.

2. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Well, I will try to be nice and just say I was extremely disappointed in this episode. The opening scene with Sara trying to get Grissom to go on vacation was sadly sweet, but then they do a complete turn around in the office scene. Grissom reverted to his Season 3 cryptic dialogue and patronization of Sara, and thank God she called him on it this time. He essentially told her to leave, that he was too much of a coward to break it off himself. So she left, good for her. Hopefully she will find a better life (and a better show!).
    I always like seeing the friendship of Sara and Greg.
    And I agree that Nick needs more emotion. Maybe that will come next when they see the grief counsellor.
    It seems nobody is happy here or on other boards, and certainly not GSR fans. What a slap in the face.
    I can't believe Sarah Goldfinger wrote this.
    I don't think they have to worry about fans bailing after WP leaves, many will do it sooner after this debacle.

Sorry if this is a little harsh. But I'm tired and slightly angry about this episode.

3. jtbwriter2006

jtbwriter2006 Victim

Spoilers-Just in case!
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r
    s
    !

Byline-I take it everyone is on grumpy pills, except for the anti-GSR crowd. Because I thought it was a good episode. Granted, Sara leaving at the end with her goodbye/note seemingly off-camera was very OOC, but the rest of the show was very good. The hypnotist/Catherine/Nick scenes were good, and the revelation about the "son" of Paula...didn't see that coming! The comment from Brass that he's been tied up helping find another undersheriff...nice touch...it will be interesting how/who the Sheriff picks! And the sadness of Pamela Adler and her husband...sigh. That was Sara's final straw....and I knew she was leaving when I saw her face. As for the seeming lack of sorrow for Warrick, I thought it was appropriate for the team-especially when you have to "suck it up" in the face of three tragic cases. I imagine next week we will see some "aftermath" start to hit.
    I just hope that we find out next episode that Grissom drove Sara to the airport or at least got in a goodbye. Just in case, I think I'd better write/post a "what if?" on ff.net, then hope I was right! :)

4. vixster

vixster Dead on Arrival

i really hope they planned an ep like this, which although it was boring and utterley disappointing, they may have a huge couple of eps coming up which explains why grissom and sara have just started to have a little tiff. which i thought was weird. its like one minute they are talking about going on hol and the next he is wanting her to dump him? and the kid at the end saying that 'she promised me everything and took it all away' was what griss is thinking. but why couldnt they have expanded on that instead of sara leaving with like 5secs left of the ep!! we didnt even see her say by to anyone, just up and leave when hes at work, it was like a crap version of gbagl! that was the main critiscism i think, they circled the ep around sara and griss but didnt actually address any of the problems, just used suspects confessions to align to their problems! but since that JF out of csi probably until WP leaves, i thought that was wrong. but now before wp leaves they have to conclude the GSR storyline fully and at least explain to us what happened and dont leave it as its up to the viewers to fill in the blanks i hate that!
    Also warrick just died, why is it only griss that seems to be affected!! catherine just said oh god, that was it, and nick,his best bud didnt even talk about warrick! he was laughin in the ep too! this is the first time where i think the inconsistency is showing with csi and maybe they are trying to cram too much into each ep so that the story builds up for WP leaving.

So sad, cant believe after 8 years it looks like it going down hill.

5. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

People have different coping mechanisms. People grieve in different ways. For some, it hits them immediately. For others, it may seem surreal and there is denial. Not everyone reacts the same way.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I just remembered something. I think this was orginally supposed to be the third episode. I don't know what happened to what was supposed to be the second ep... I guess they scrapped it altogether. But, maybe that has something to do with the hardly mentioned Warrick.

7. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Actually Det. Vega brought it up to Greg, saying sorry to hear about Warrick and he said me too. So there was a another mention of him besides Catherine and Grissom.

8. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Victim

Personally I thought it was just an average...or actually below average epi....did not really grab me...I got excited a bit when I saw Sara and Griss in bed together....but that turned out kinda blah too....NO I am not a GSR shipper either....my ship was Sara and Greg....altho I do not obsess on these things like some LMAO.

Seriously this one just did not hold my attention that well....I have it on TIVO and will go back and watch it again this weekend just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Brass as the Under Sheriff might be cool as long as they make it a deeper role in the show. With Billy leaving and Gary gone already the show really should not cut the screen time of Paul Guilfoyle. The banter between Brass and Griss was definitely one of the reasons I started watching and kept coming back.

Seeing Nick and Cath taking in the hypnotist show and laughing so soon after Warrick's death both did some good and some disservice too.....Them laughing it up so soon just kind of did not feel right to me in the same epi where the new cop tells Greg that Brown will be missed.

No real continuity here. Here's hoping Art Imitates Life is a better episode

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

10. Szmile

Szmile Police Officer

I respect and like Sara, but it was Greg's case. She wasn't even a CSI, why was she given prominance and allowed to talk to the suspect more than Greg was?

Someone above said Greg was just used to introduce Sara to her storyline. Absolutely true. Yet again Greg is used as a tool for someone else's story and not given one himself. He is a phenomenal character and I'm extremely disappointed with what he's being given.

I did love his sensitiveness in that episode and I loved the tender moment between him and Sara, but he should have been in the episode much, much more.

Sara packed her bags to leave so maybe now Greg will get to do his job.

I'm sad about that episode because, as I said, I have always really liked Sara's character and the writers made me resent her. That's not a nice feeling.

11. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Be careful what you wish for. More screen time seems to equate to more misery and angst in the CSI world.
    Greg's appearance, albeit brief, was the only bright spot in this epi.

12. Szmile

Szmile Police Officer

Aww. I like you :D

13. byline

byline CSI Level One

I get the impression everyone wanted some sort of resolution after Warrick's death last week, but I felt that the CSIs were deliberately burying themselves in their work to avoid thinking about Warrick. Which I find believable for people in their profession. After all, they deal with death on a daily basis. I know it seems like a contradiction, but they're so good at compartmentalizing their emotions that they may be a little too good, when it comes to personal relationships. That's why it was such an abrupt shock for Catherine to see Warrick's number come up on her cellphone (and what a deftly played scene that was by Marg). I also believe that Nick is working especially hard to suppress his feelings about the death of his friend, and maybe we'll see ramifications of that later on. It could be that the very reason he's shutting down is because he tends toward being emotional; he fears completely breaking down (especially given his own traumatic experiences), so he refuses to let himself feel at all so as not to open that door. That's pure speculation on my part, of course.

I was pleasantly surprised at the exchange between Grissom and Sara at the beginning. I am by no means a GSR fan, definitely wish the writers hadn't gone down that road. But, since they did, I think they've handled it all reasonably well. Yes, it does seem that the writers are paving an Emmy-worthy path for Petersen's departure, but hey, what should we expect? Petersen is the whole reason I started watching "CSI," and Gil Grissom is the series' central character. So I think he should have that opportunity to expand on the character and show us shades of Grissom that perhaps have existed all along, but we never got to see before.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  14. LastToKnow710

LastToKnow710 Witness

I was happy to see Sara leave the way she did. I always liked her as a character, but to me, this episode reinforced every reason I ever hated the GSR relationship. I'm glad she finally called him on his vague, patronizing conversation skills. Good for her for leaving!

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

With all due respect, it's an ensemble cast. Even WP himself has reinforced that notion-he never wanted to be the 'hero' because they are all heroes.

And if he was going to get an Emmy for Gil Grissom, he would have gotten one years ago. It's too late in the game for EmoGrissom.

And I barely saw EmoGrissom in this episode anyways. I saw Grissom as he normally is.