The Great Ship Debate - CSI:Crime Scene Investigation

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleMissSnark

LittleMissSnark Prime Suspect

Re: The Great Ship Debate

I love this idea....seriously! Lemme just say a little somethin' somethin' about where I'm coming from on the whole shipper thing:

Snickers : This is my main ship. I love it. I love everything about it. The way I see it is, Sara's personality drives her to be structured, hardworking, and intense all the time. The girl has no fun, basically. Nick is more carefree, more open, he's into mixing it up once in a while when it comes to his work methods and he knows when to quit and go home. Plainly and simply, they're the best balance on the show. Nick can show Sara a good time, while Sara's practical enough to keep Nick in check. Nick's basically Sara's other half in style, attitude, and motivation, but not in a conflicting way.

Not to mention that since the very beginning, they've traded cute little innuendos and flirtatious comments that you can't help but smile at. I love these two together because I think that they can emotionally be there for each other while physically they have enough romantic power.

I also think that this ship can work really well on television, because it could be low-key; it could be a complete working relationship without turning the whole show into "Nick/Sara Romance Hour". I just think they'd be great together.

Sandle : I also really like this ship for many of the same reasons I like Snickers. Greg is kind of that oddball boy with a crush, and I think that Sara could learn a lot from humoring him. I understand where the relationship is coming from. Greg amplifies Sara's mood with his goofy, almost-nerdy cuteness and eccentricity, and Sara is like his dream girl. In some ways, I want to see him win her over for the sheer fact that Greg's been so sweet to her and she deserves someone who treats her so well.

But, I can't see this ship because I think that Sara is too comfortable with Greg. He's, in many ways, like a little boy to her. He's the baby of the CSI team, and he's got that boyish charm that's really endearing, but in some ways I don't know if on a serious level they could work.

I think Sara sees Greg as that guy friend she absolutely adores working with and likes to be with, but at the end of the day he's just her friend. Still...I wouldn't hate it if they got together.

YoBling! : This is the one of the ships where I'd be satisfied if it went either way. Warrick is a wonderful, supportive friend to Catherine, and she honestly cares for him. They work well together, and they have that rare brand of tender chemistry that I enjoy watching. They work well together, and they have that close bond that I wouldn't mind seeing play out into a full-on relationship.

Yet, Warrick is married, and so I think that if TPTB doesn't decide to have Tina die in some gruesome, tragic accident or cheat on Warrick or some other heinous crap, then I think that it would cost too much for Catherine and Warrick to have a relationship.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind having them just be friends either. Sometimes I think that their relationship would be a raging tempest of emotions, with the regular Cath!Drama element sort of bleeding into a lot of issues between Warrick and whoever else Catherine has in her life. I don't like the possibility of that kind of intensity in that relationship, but I still wouldn't rip my eyes out if they got together.

GSR : I respect people who enjoy GSR and all, but I'm really not down for this ship. For some reason, I can't see them together at all. The way that Sara and Grissom are as characters makes them way too similar in their personalities: both are socially introverted, too focused on work, and unable to emotionally connect with people on a day-to-day basis. To me, that's too much of one thing. I don't see them coming together and suddenly changing their habits, I just see a lot of angst and drama.

Also, I don't like the way this ship casts a shadow over Sara. In this relationship, Grissom is by far the dominant figure. Sara, although she is a strong woman and has repeatedly proven that she doesn't take crap from ANY man, becomes severely weakened in Grissom's presence. The woman waited years for this man to come around, and faced rejection after rejection in his eyes, yet I can't believe that she would run to him at the drop of a hat the minute he says he's ready for a commitment. I strongly dislike that, because I think that Sara as a character deserves more than that.

Also, I've always seen her love for him as a kind of hero-worship, and even despite recent events in the show, I still can't see them as a functioning couple. Whenever I see them onscreen I get a pit in my stomach that tells me something isn't right about this relationship.

I understand many people see this relationship in a good light, and that as far as we know, it's a canonized thing, but in all honesty, I can't help but feeling that due to Grissom's power over Sara and his genuine angsty coldness to her, this relationship just won't work.

Grillows : I like this relationship a lot more than I like GSR, but I don't know the chances of it actually playing out. I really like the way that Catherine is straightforward and aggressive, and she makes a point of equalizing Grissom out when he's become too intense. They have a nice relationship that is balanced as well as intimate.

I like this relationship a lot, and I would love to see it get acted out, I also think that it could've begun a long time ago as far as the show is concerned. But, it now seems like it was a relationship that just never jumpstarted into an actual romantic connection. I would like them to continue to be just good friends, but also I would like to see it happen if it were at all possible.

So that's where I stand!

2. Joy22

Joy22 Pathologist

I know that a whole lot of people see something there. I guess if you look closely there is, it's just not something that I ever picked up on but that is the beauty of shipping, right? We all have different favorite couples and see different things, life would be boring if we all thought alike. :D

3. BurnedToast

BurnedToast Coroner

GSR - I really, really enjoy this ship (main ship). I have since I started watching the show. Personally, I think wit all their history, Grissom and Sara would make an exellent pairing. I happen to think that the way they match up on personality levels is a good thing, because they'd both have someone with the same problems to take comfort in.

Sandle - Another great ship. Though I was still shipping GSR, I did enjoy the Sandle moments through-out the show. Greg can make Sara, or anybody for that matter, smile. At the same time, Sara managed to make him a bit more serious about the cases he was working on.

Grillows - This ship makes me shudder, no offence. I really look at them more as great friends, rather then lovers. They know how to help each other, which is good.

Snickers - Though I'm not a fan, exactly, I can't help but notice the atractiveness of this ship. Personally, I can't think of them together for a moment. Like Grillows, I see Nick and Sara as great friends who understand each other in different ways. Not a brother/sister relationship, because they do have their flirty moments.

T-4-2 - Obviously not my main ship, but I do enjoy the moments that Grissom and Heather have together. Be it my fangirlism for her, or simply because it's an edgy ship. Either way, I can watch scenes without my stomach turning.

YoBling! - I used to really support this ship, but I don't anymore. Not since Warrick got married. I liked Tina too much, and the idea of them taking him off the market, to continue shipping him with Catherine.

CatNip - Probably one of my favorite ships since I saw the 'Make a muscle' scene in Crows Feet...Or maybe it was just the whole episode...I dunno. Again, like Snicker and Sandle, it is a pretty ship.

CSX - Greg and Sofia make a rather cute couple. She knows how to cheer him up, and that's good. I don't really have much to say, but I do enjoy this ship.

Tag - Tis one of my favorites at the moment. Catherine and Greg are just...cute. Though, I realize that they have little to no chance of becoming canon. They are still loads of fun to mess around with, and look for scenes. I'd really like them to become an actual couple though. ;)

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Pretty much in agreement with Sarah with a couple of exceptions

Grissom and Sara
    Well I have seen the camraderie between them from the beginning- they have everything in common-workoholics- loners-and together have such strong chemistry and he's so caring and kind to her when it counts and she adores him-and the finale clinched the fact that they are a couple and :pand feel the same about each other ;)

Nick and Sara Cute friendship- they respect one another and work well together- like co-workers should-and I think he sees the chemistry between G/S and is fine with it ;)

Greg and Sara also cute- and they also get along great and work so well on the cases together like 'Sherlock" so cute and 'Big Middle" I think he's sweet on her-but sees her attraction for the boss ;)

Grissom and Cath
    Great friendship/co-worker team work- but nothing else- she's always on the prowl for a different man- and with her gutsy attitude, if she were romantically interested in him she would have made her play for him by now--and I see her as knowing about the G/S relationship as well- after all she encouraged him to call and he ordered Sara a plant while she sat and grinned about it- ;)

Warrick and Cath
    They sizzle as well- good chemistry- don't know why nothings happened by now- their very in tune with each other and work really well together - are very respectable with one another- how he stood up for her with the Lindsey thing and other events-too mnay to mention here-- hopefully something will come down between them in S/7-his marriage- :( well a quick mistake can be retified ;)

Other people who've been on like LH-- 3 times in 6 years-that kinda of explains itself-never went anywhere-- and the others to trivial to mention ;)

5. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Um, I thought people were here to discuss why they think a ship is/isn't possible, not whether it's cannon/fact or not. Fact and opinion are different, mind you.

6. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

True...and one should never let facts get in the way of a good opinion <vbeg>

7. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

This thread is for debating the merits of all ships, whether you like them, don't like them, see them happening, etc. It doesn't just have to be about whether or not you see them working, although that is certainly part of it. As lament said in her first post:

The fact that some ships are currently canon could certainly be considered a pro to the supporters of that ship and therefore it is relevant. And yes, while fact and opinion are different, debates are usually opinions based on facts.

8. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

I guess I put it the wrong way, but I did mean what you said. Thanks for clearing that.

Although I get what you were saying, I disagree. I think people need to talk about their feeligs and thoughts about ships here instead of whether they are canon or not. Others do know what's canon and they don't need to be reminded of it over and over again. But since it's a decision from the mods, I'll just shut up. Bye. :)

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Well, without getting murdered, I do want to say that the talk of Butterflied being a "casting quirk" is somewhat ridiculous.

The entire episode was written by a very pro-GSR writer, David Rambo, which is not something I've deduced from his episodes, but the fact that he answered questions from people at the pro-GSR site "Your Tax Dollars At Work" saying that among other things he felt that Grissom really did want Sara and that he really knew her.

The quirk comment comes from the fact that when they were looking for someone to play Debbie, they remembered that an actress had come in who looked a lot like Jorja Fox, however it was always the intention to find someone who was like Sara.

And the bottom line for me is that if it was all a casting quirk, why is Sara standing behind the glass at the end, and the commentary from both David Rambo and Carol Mendelshon says that this speech is Grissom saying all the things he could never say directly to Sara's face?

10. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

My two fave ships, both from CSI:NY are:

1.) Mac/Stella: this is a great example of a ship based on friendship and mutual respect. Mac and Stella are mature professionals who obviously feel a bit more than friendship toward each other. But it's subtle.
    2.) Danny/Lindsey: this is a good example of a hot-and-flirty ship. Danny's pretty open about the fact that the's attracted to Lindsey and she makes occasional remarks that indicates she kinda likes it. It's cute that he's given her a nickname (Montana) and that they tease each other.

11. Sandle_Luver

Sandle_Luver Witness

Even though I am a shipper myself (Sandle!) I think all ships are good because even though it might not be the two people we want them to be, they're happy and happy CSI's mean Happy fans! (In my eyes, at least) :) Thats my 2 cents

12. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

My question still stands.

13. Kal

Kal Prime Suspect

I am not really against any ship, there's some I just like more than others.

Snickers - IMO, these two are great together. I love how they work together. If GSR doesn't work out, I would love for this ship to happen.

GSR - Not my most favorite ship, I'll admit. Though there are a couple of cute GSR scenes, I just think that they don't go together.

Sandle - If Snickers isn't possible, please be Sandle! I was highly considering Sandle over Snickers when I started to watch the show. They are so cute together, and it's obvious that Greg likes Sara.

I'll try and post on more ships later.

14. Jasmine

Jasmine Lab Technician

OH i forgot from CSI: NY (i been watching lately when im bored) I really like either:

Mac/Lindsey or Danny/Lindsey. Either way they make a really cute couple. Although i prefer Mac/Lindsey. They have a good chemistry...well the few episodes that I've seen. But it looks like that Danny guy likes Lindsey and even that doc (dont know his name) told her. And from the small little hints and clues that i have seen is more likely for Danny and Lindsey to hook up. I got to watch it more though. :rolleyes:

15. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I actually have one more thing to say about Grissom and Sara.
    I could have EASILY jumped on that ship. I have to admit that watching their angst was fun. Invisible Evidence, Butterflied, even Time of Your Death were sublte insights into their relationship. Those moments were for me better than watching them **achemgrissomonthebedSarainthebathrobe achem**. I almost, and I mean ALMOST could have gone with the GSR ship except for the finale. That ruined it for me. :(
    Granted Lady Heather and Grissom probably won't be cannon, but I love them together. I still want her to return and have him feel conflicted about her and Sara.

There,
    Now I'm REALLY DONE :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.