The Great Ship Debate - CSI:Crime Scene Investigation

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lament

lament Captain

Re: The Great Ship Debate

Hey guys, we don't want this to turn into another list thread, so try to add some meat to your posts. Don't just give one line explanations. Maybe you could give a scene or two from the shows to support your point. That way, your fellow posters can see what you're talking about and they can respond.

Sometimes, people will dislike a character you like, and that's cool. Dismissing arguments that dissent from your opinion as "diatribes," however, is not cool. Thanks. ;)

2. saraXsullivan

saraXsullivan CSI Level Two

Okay well...

GSR - Meant to be. I ship GSR, and loved the finale I might add.

Snickers - It's more of a friend or brother/sister relationship. They're there for each other, and they are great friends, but Nick told Sara he knew a friend she could get together with, that doesn't seem like romancey to me.

Sandle - They are cute friends. Greg has a cute crush. They just don't have the romance-type of thing that a ship should have.

Grillows -
    I agree.

YoBling - I like it. I wouldn't hate the ship, but I wouldn't obsess over it like I do with GSR :D

3. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

alrighty, then, let's get to it...

Nick/Sara
    This is without a doubt my OTP. The only fault I can find with this ship is Sara's blindness, so to speak. Nick has been a support system for Sara since season 1, and, likewise, Sara has been there for Nick more or less. Yet, Sara chooses to ignore Nick in favor of the emotionally stunted Grissom while poor Nicky sits alone. It's almost enough to make me say that Sara doesn't even deserve Nick, but not quite. With Snickers you have two things that you don't have with GSR (which I'll adress later) -- mutual respect and equality. There's no superior/subordinate relationship involved (and I'm not talking in a professional sense). Nick and Sara's relationship can be taken at face value. They know where they stand with one another, and the viewer knows as well. They don't take any crap from one another, yet they can sense a moment of weakness with the other and accordingly try to comfort one another in times of need. There is also an obvious physical attraction, which (for better or worse) is a vital part of any relationship. Fundamentally, these two UNDERSTAND one another on a level that no other character can come close to. In the end, I think, that is the most important factor in any successful relationship. Therefore, I think this relationship is both the most realistic and the most sustainable.

Greg/Sara
    I don't like them near as much as I like Nick/Sara, but I think they are pretty darn adorable. The main difference between this ship and Nick/Sara, I think, is the superior/subordinate thing. Greg admires Sara, but I don't think Greg gets the same amount of respect in return. Obviously Sara loves him to death, but I don't think she would trust him with her life if it came down to it. So, while this ship is cute, I don't think it is very sustainable.

Warrick/Cath
    I've never really formed much of an opinion about these two. They have an undeniable chemistry, but I'm not sure there could ever be a successful relationship between the two. I'd definitely give it a shot, though.

Grissom/Cath
    I like this ship for many of the same reasons that I like Nick/Sara. They respect one another. They have been attracted to one another at one point or another. They have a fundamental understanding of one another. All the factors of a sustainable relationship are there IMO.

Grissom/Lady Heather
    LH is the best suitor for Grissom IMO. I think Grissom considers LH more of an equal than he ever has either Cath or Sara. This is mostly becuase LH refuses to take any crap from him. She makes her intentions known, and she doesn't allow Grissom to get in her way. Yet, she seems to trust Grissom on a level that she doesn't trust anyone else. She values his opinions, and he values hers. There is also an undeniable physical attraction. This couple has all the bases covered -- physical, emotional, mental attraction. If they could find finally find peace and stability in their respective personal/professional lives, I think they could do very well as a couple.

Grissom/Sara
    I'll admit I'm a bit biased as far as this couple is concerned. I don't like older men / younger women pairings in general. One thing I simply cannot stand is the young, naive girl chasing after an older, "wiser" man. It just screams "daddy issues" on so many levels as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't help that you see pairings like that everywhere. However, Sara seems to be very mature for her age so this isn't exactly as much of a problem in their case. The main problem I have with this ship is that Grissom simply does not respect Sara. He's had many occasions where he could at least acknowledge her worth, yet he has always chosen to shoot her down. She just has never been worth his time. He has never given her an acceptable explanation about anything, whether it be why he turned her down for a date, why he is assigning her to a specific case, or why he is turning her down for a promotion. His excuse: he's the boss. He doesn't have to. It wouldn't be professional or appropriate. Well, this is true. However, when you care about someone you make exceptions. Grissom has never put Sara first, and he never will. It's just not in his character. My mother and grandmother were both very strong-willed women, and they never took any crap from a man. If Sara allows Grissom into her life after years of unacceptable behavior, then she is weak. She's no better than one of those young, naive girls and I have no patience for her. In short, I'm against this pairing becuase I feel that it compromises Sara's character. And I'm not budging on that belief.

4. tuesdaymorning

tuesdaymorning Judge

Let's add some new spices to the mix!

Flack/Aiden

The first case we ever got to witness with these two together was in "Tri Borough" and their chemistry was excellent. Flack was such a bundle of nerves and Aiden played it cool, adding in small smirks here and there and joking along with him. It was the first episode that really caught my eye with these two and they fit so perfectly together.

But at this point, I was riding the Danny/Aiden ship (yes!gasp! I was on that ship) but right when "'Till Death Do We Part" aired and Flack was being a baby about not wanting to go into the Montasery because it was 'haunted' (*pets the flack*) and Stella made that comment to Aiden about "Aiden, I think you better hold Flack's hand", my little heart went "What? What is this? Is Stella hinting at something?" And what do you know? Boom, Flack's in nerves again. Aiden stands there just waiting for him and he finally manages to mumble out a "ladiesfirstomg." and as she walks in, she looks over her shoulder at him with this look that immediately hooked me onto them. It was a look I had never seen the character give anyone else and I was like "huzzah! new ship!"

And I jumped off the Danny/Aiden and onto the Flack/Aiden.

Oh wait, I'm not done yet. Relax, it's okay.

Then, in the season finale, Aiden and Flack check tire prints and oh wow, they were literally inches away from touching each other. I was about to die. And the fact that there was this small flirting going on about Flack with the bike and anyway, hot.

There was so much potential for these two that when Ferlito left, it crushed me. I fell in love with this ship more than I have with any other in the past. It was the kind of relationship were you knew something was up and it was so mysterious that you wanted to go deeper inside and find out more.

They balanced one another out and their relationship was perfect.

Danny/Aiden

Now, yes, I did ship them at one point but something caught my attention that completely turned me away from this ship. "I'm way out of your league, Messer". Bingo, baby. It was stated, by Aiden, that the relationship that many of us had believed what was brewing was in fact nothing more than a brotherly/sisterly love.

Turned me off.

5. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I guess what I find interesting is that depending on who you prefer, Grissom is either rude and disrespectful to Sara, or Sara is insubordinate and rude to Grissom.

6. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

A debate! I love a good debate. I am such a devil's advocate, and a multishipper (more of a Sara-shipper :p) so I will argue for and against most L/V ships!
    Hmmm, how shall I start? I guess I can list the pros of each Sara-based couple (as I see it). Hope it's not too long.

:) Grissom and Sara: The first official canon ship. In the beginning there was flirting, and the signals went both ways. In fact, that was the first ship I was aware of and I actually did root for GSR (earlier on). Many can agree that Grissom has known Sara the longest, and who knows what could've happened before in San Francisco? They are both very intelligent and quirky, and I like to think that Grissom is reluctant to get into a relationship because he doesn't want ot get hurt. He is a mysterious scientist who never really took a plunge until Sara came into his life, like a whirlwind. In short, the drama and will they/won't they aspect made this a very interesting ship!

:D Nick and Sara: Similar enough to work, yet different enough to add some spice into a possible relationship. This is an attractive couple with great chemistry and equal status. I really adore this couple's flirtiness and looks. They joke around easily and there's a great sense of respect there. It's like when you get together with your best guy friend. Surely, the best foundation for a relationship is friendship, and that is something these two gorgeous people have!

:cool: Warrick and Sara: Passionate people who had alot of friction between them in the beginning. But they sure have come a long way since Sara investigated Warrick's "gambling problem". This could become a fiery relationship that may last as long as their patience. I think people don't give this couple enough credit. They were both "geeks" in high school so there's your similarity. And these two look as hot as snickers (the couple)! I guess I could go either way. Either they last, or they don't.

[​IMG] Greg and Sara: Love them. Sweet, cute, endearing, adorable, lovable, charming - I just cannot use enough adjectives to describe how lovely this couple is (at least to me). Puppy-dog love, or something deeper? It's in the eye of the beholder but I the way I see it depends on how I look at things. I'll bring in a specific quote I made in the actual sandles thread:
    ;) Sara slash: The women look good together. Maybe not "couple" good, but definitely good. Even if they don't get together, it's always good to fantasize!

Well, those were the pros. Later on, I shall list the cons. But I'll try not to be harsh or insulting! :eek:

7. Crysthala

Crysthala CSI Level One

I think I'll stay out of this thread, for the good of all concerned. While I'm not a rabid shipper, I do not have that miraculous ability to tone down what I'm trying to say that everyone else seems to. Thus, I come off as being quite bitchy and/or... um... shall we say quote-unquote "unrestrained" to most people. Moderators included. (BTW, the moderators on this forum are AWESOME, especially considering some of the other so-called moderators I've been exposed to.) I'm just going to say that GSR and YoBling are my favorite ships ever, and while I don't actively support most of the other ones, I am all for pretty much all of them. So tata. I apologize for not adding anything real to the discussion. Please ignore this post.

8. SaraSidleStokes

SaraSidleStokes Captain

Crysthala I agree with you I'm staying out of the debate myself
    I am not one to purposely offend someone but I'm afraid that some of the things I might say would offend someone on accident
    I'm very Optimistic and Pro for my ships which sometimes leads me to defend it so I think for the good of all I"ll just keep my mouth shut
    all I'll say is I ship Snicker (well obviously) ,G/LH,Yobling,Grillow (a little bit) Greg and Sofia is pretty cool and I'm okay with Sandle and I'll leave it at that

9. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I've been watching this thread grow, so I've decided to post my two cents here...

Let me start with

Gris/Sara--- Where to begin. Not my favorite. It's not the age difference, or the boss/employee thing either that gets me about this. It's them together. I like Grissom alot, I like Sara, I don't like them together.
    Sara is messed up, she has HUGE issues in her life, trust, control, anger, I would bet also depression, anyway, she looks to Grissom to make her happy. She looks to him to fulfill her somehow. Grissom, being Grissom, is not going to be able to handle that.. he doesn't know how. He wants to protect her, and he does care for her, but evenually his lack of communication or whatever will be the end of the "affair". Sara will ( hopefully) decide that she needs more, and Grissom can't give it to her
    They will decide they can't give each other what they are seeking

Grissom/Catherine I haven't given this one much thought. I could be interesting. They have a "chemisty" either professional or other. I do feel they ( over Gris and Sara) did have a "mysterious" past together. That is why they are perfect in the work place together. They know each other, faults and strenghts, which makes them a fun pair to watch, I loved it in "King Baby" when he said.."I missed your tush". That is just like them.. As a pair, HHHMM
    I'm not big on work place romances so I think it would be the down fall of the lab..

Sara/Nick same goes here. They are really great together. I think it is more than brother and sister. They ( like Gris and Cath) know each other's faults and strenghths. I think that Nick doesn't pursue it with Sara beacause he knows that she has put Grissom on a pedistal. Who would want to compete with that? But Nick is more down to earth, can express his feelings and possibly be good for her. He would call her on things, make her examine her self, which Grissom would ignore.. If Sara could tolerate that, Then they could be a great pair

Grissom/Lady Heather I've been on THAT thread since I have been on this site. I guess that makes me a "official" GLH shipper? I am BLOWN AWAY by the chemisty these two have. She nailed him from the first time they met. He is drawn to her. because of that. They don't even have to say anything to each other, just the "looks" they give each other speaks VOLUMES about how they feel. HE just #^$%ed it up ( please excuse that phrase, I will be happy to modify it if nessecary) They are more similar in their experiences than Gris and Sara, and he treats her like an equal. She knows that, that is why she is drawn to him. I think he is torn because he WANTS to be with her, but it's her lifestyle not HER that he is having the problem with, we saw that in Pirates of the Third Reich.. That is why he "messed" it up for them ...
    IF she does come back, they should keep her elusive, and mysterious, like they have done previously with her. I want him to have to deal with his feeling for Heather and his feelings for Sara.

One more..
    Catherine/Warrick again, one I haven't given much thought to. But he is VERY good looking and nice, and sweet, and THOSES EYES... they do work well together.. they have chemistry, but I'm not sure it goes beyond flirting. Their fuse would be great, but short-lived

Ok, REALLY last one

Sara/Warrick,
    again, cute sweet, nice, nice body, could be good for her, like Nick. He has to be willing to "put up with her" moodiness, which he probably will be able to do. They will call each other on stuff too, knows each other's strenghts and faults, but like Cath and Warrick, I'm not sure there is anything to make a good relationship out of..

OK DONE :)

10. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

Same goes for me. Now I know I might be taking Sara's side more but I also understand Grissom at some level. You're right, it isn't fair for Sara to expect that much from Grissom especially since he wouldn't be able to deliver because he's just not built that way. Actually, it wouldn't be fair to put anyone on a pedestal. I also think they're too much alike. They're both not good with people. They don't balance each other out. I just don't see them having fun (this is just me humbly stating my opinion).

Grissom needs a woman who is more at par with him, and I think Catherine or Lady H, or even Sofia is just the type of woman for him. I adore the chemistry with Lady H the best, because she seems to understand him at a level no one else could. "Soulmates" are really fitting for them. As for Catherine, I think she brings out the best in Grissom. He could be himself around her, flirt with her, do with her all things married couples do. I love Grissom the best when he's with Catherine. :D I also see the chemistry with Sofia and Grissom. He asked her out. He checked her out. She seeked him out.

Btw, Ollieaun I totally agree on everything you stated. (eta: except for being biased towards older men / younger women)

11. beautifulview

beautifulview Pathologist

i think it might be the opposite for me. i love the GSR chemistry (as i'm a diehard). Sofia i wondered about, but i think she needs a different guy, one more open than grissom is. which is why i like her and nick.

12. Jasmine

Jasmine Lab Technician

GSR: Im a huge GSR fan and a shipper. I found their chemistry and attaction to each other amazing. They make a really cute couple. Since the second episode "Cool Change" i could see the chemistry on each other. Immediately the trust that Grissom has for Sara is noticeable. Throughout the season they gave us hints and clues about their relationship. Here and there, small or big but clues that eventually concluded their true romance in the finale and what a finale! Hopefully they will stay together in season 7 and be happy.

Warrick/Catherine: I like this couple. They are both really sexy looking. I could always see Catherine's attraction to Warrick. I noticed it more in season 2 "Bully for you" when Cath and him are talking about how they were in High school. Is a hot couple and Warrick can make a good daddy for Lindsey.

Sara/Greg: Mmmmm... cute but i dont see them as a couple. More like a Big sis little brother relationship.

Sara/Nick: More like Big Bro. little sister relationship.

Grissom/Catherine: Could of...would of maybe but i dont see Grissom being Catherine's type. (if that make sense :rolleyes:)

13. Joy22

Joy22 Pathologist

Cool thread!

GSR: I'm not a fan, I don't mind them either. I always thought that their relationship was unhealthy for the both of them. She completely lost her dignity around him and he became cold and detached. But if this season shows that they can make it together then I guess it's ok that they're happy. I do like them both as characters.

YoBling: Not my main ship but Cath is a good woman for Warrick. She's smart, competent and can give him a challenge and they have a lot of chemistry together. I would like to see them on screen, just to see if they can make it work.

Sandle: I like Sara around Greg, he opens her up and makes her smile and watching them together always makes me smile too but I don't see a couple when I watch them. Just a guy with a crush and a girl who adores him but could never love him.

Snickers: That is one couple that I never really understood, I can not imagine Sara and Nick together for a second. I can understand that a lot do like them together but for me...I just don't see it.

Cath/Grissom: I could actually see that and like it more then GSR. Cath knows Grissom in a way that nobody else does and she can get to him. I like them together, they are so different but alike in many ways and I could see that work.

Finally, my main ship, Swarrick: I'm not going to say a lot about that one, I know it's not a popular ship but I really believe that their characters would make a great match. I just feel that they would balance each other but that is a strictly personal opinion.

That's it, I got nothing more to say :D

14. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I forgot two more thing.

Swarrick- I see them as brother and sister, Warrick is a big brother and she is a little sister. I remember from the beggining, they never like each other 'till later. I don't get me wrong, they are very strong people. I always like Warrick when he is very protected of Nick, Sara and Greg.

Sonic- I don't think they make a cute couple. I don't see it those two together. I guess I don't like Sofia.

Joy22- I understand you don't see between Nick and Sara as a couple but I do. They understand each other. Nick is the only one welcome Sara. I guess Sara felt click to Nick, so it Nick.

15. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Oh, thanks for mentioning Sonic - I actually could see these two together. I think that although Nick claims to be into these demure women, he really likes 'em tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.