The Fan Art Forum Guide - Rules/Tuts./Questions *updated 10-05

I don't have a tutorial, but, basically, you take the photos and add them as layers to the same image. Then you use the erase tool on whichever one is on top to make it go over the other one in the way that you want.

An easier way would be to get a wings brush.

I don't have a tutorial, but, basically, you take the photos and add them as layers to the same image. Then you use the erase tool on whichever one is on top to make it go over the other one in the way that you want.

An easier way would be to get a wings brush.

I have brush wings now I think... or I did. I hope I didn't lose them when my hard drive was reformatted (I lost a lot of my psp brushes that way cause they were already installed into psp and I didn't have backups of them lol).

I tried in photoshop to make a dupe layer of a pic, change something to one layer and then merge them, but it didn't work... all it kept was the background pic, so that pic of the person was completely hidden.

You know, now that I think about it, those wings were brushes. :lol: I just put them on a black background and then opened the pic of the person, cut out only the person rather than the background they were standing against and then somehow placed them in the right place in between the wings. I just can't recall how I did it. :lol:

Okay, so I figured out the lighting/consistency problem. Turned out I had it on the wrong color proof setting.

Next question -- what are some of the places that you guys would recommend for finding good tutorials? What are some of your favorite tutorials?

I usually use tutorials from LJ's community, they're very good, IMO :)
The ones I like most are photoshopping! and icon_tutorial.
For fave tutorials I don't know, 'cause I didn't save them anywhere :lol:

Hope I was helpful :)

Thanks GNRF that really helped:thumbsup:

OH I want to enter an icon challenge but I need help determining which level I'm in Beginner;intermidiate;Or advanced?

Last edited:
csifann wanted me to make a tut on how I got the colouring in this icon. I don't remember exactly but this is how I usually start off ALL of my icons:

Start off with a base image.

Duplicate it twice. Set the middle layer to screen, and the top to soft light.

Put a colour fill layer (usually with a REALLY light blue or red) in between the screen and soft light layers. Set it to overlay and set it to around 30% opacity.

Duplicate the overlay and move it up so it's the very top layer. Set it to colour burn and 100% opacity. You can change the colour (I usually just keep it to what it was as the overlay layer though.)

After that it's completely up to what I do with the Levels and the Colour Variations. That actually makes up most of my colouring and I have absolutely no idea what I set those to to make the Natalia icon. You just have to play around. Even with the overlay, screen, soft light, and colour burn layers. Change the opacity and colours. Just play around because it'll be different for every picture.

One thing I do do a lot though is in Colour Variations, I set it to shadows, put the amount/intesity pretty high, and lighten it. Kinda makes it look like a gray exclusion layer.

:) Hope I helped. Though I hardly ever remember what exactly I do to my icons to make them look a certain way. :lol: The background behind Natalia is a texture by the way.

EDIT: Okay this may sound dumb but I'm very new to photoshop, I'm just wanting to know how to crop and resize images in there? I'm completely lost when it comes to photoshop I'm so used to using GIMP.
^^Just look at the tags at icontutorial and there you are, for instance for basic cropping tutorials here.

I've been using photoshop for about a month (I think), and am still getting accustomed to all of its features. At the moment, the one thing that I really just haven't "gotten" is brushes. I know how to use them; I just can't figure out how to use them well. Does anyone know of any good tutorial that demonstrates appropriate and interesting usage of brushes?

Back