The Fan Art Forum Guide - Rules/Tuts./Questions *updated 10-05

Hey does anyone know if we're allowed to have siggy shops on here--were you can post your own thread for comments and requests? All the other forums I was on had them, but I'm not really seeing any on here. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is allowed? Becuase it would be SO much easier for me to just post up all my sigs on one thread and get requests from there.
Just wonderin'
Megs

Hey does anyone know if we're allowed to have siggy shops on here--were you can post your own thread for comments and requests? All the other forums I was on had them, but I'm not really seeing any on here. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is allowed? Becuase it would be SO much easier for me to just post up all my sigs on one thread and get requests from there.
Just wonderin'
Megs

You can always offer to do requests in the sig banner thread, or any thread for that matter. :) Opening up another thread would take away form the other already set up for that purpose.

I figure that this is probably a pretty common problem, but my pictures always look different in photoshop than they do once I've uploaded them to photobucket (specifically in terms of coloring and lighting, as they always look a lot lighter on photobucket). Is this a common problem and is there anything I can do about this?

What file type do you save them as? When I had this problem, I started saving them as png, and haven't had that problem since :)

I've been saving them as PNGs. I tried saving them as JPEGs at one point as well, and it didn't change a thing, which is why I'm starting to wonder if it might have something to do with some sort of setting on photoshop that I accidentally toggled while playing around with the program.

Okay, so I've been playing around with it some more and have realized that the big problem is that they always turn up significantly paler, as if the colors' intensities have just been toned down significantly. Is there something on Photoshop that might make colors appear more intense/concentrated/bright/whatnot on Photoshop than they actually are?

Also, this is more of a forum-related question, but which (if any) forum would be appropriate for getting ConCrit? I would love to get advice from a more experienced icon/banner-maker on what I can do to improve a bunch of my icons.

Another question -- I was trying to do the brushed aluminum tutorial that is supposed to be really good. I got through the first few steps, but the feather and settings applied to the selected area never showed up. I selected the area (in this case created diagonal bar shapes). Then, after completing the selection, I went to 'refine edge' and added a feather. All seemed to be going well, but when I clicked OK on the 'refine edges' box, the feather didn't apply and my entire image (rather than just the bars, which were now gone) was selected. What did I do wrong?

Also, any suggestions for other general photoshop help forums?

Another question -- I was trying to do the brushed aluminum tutorial that is supposed to be really good. I got through the first few steps, but the feather and settings applied to the selected area never showed up. I selected the area (in this case created diagonal bar shapes). Then, after completing the selection, I went to 'refine edge' and added a feather. All seemed to be going well, but when I clicked OK on the 'refine edges' box, the feather didn't apply and my entire image (rather than just the bars, which were now gone) was selected. What did I do wrong?

I've had problems with Photoshop brushes in the past, one of the first things you should do is check your resolution if it is over 72 pixels (hit image, image size and you can find the resolution), it can cause problems with both your brushes and even your text. Another thing is some brushes don't work right if you click caps lock on your keyboard. Hope that was some help :)

I've had problems with Photoshop brushes in the past, one of the first things you should do is check your resolution if it is over 72 pixels (hit image, image size and you can find the resolution), it can cause problems with both your brushes and even your text. Another thing is some brushes don't work right if you click caps lock on your keyboard. Hope that was some help :)

Thanks :) It's called brushed aluminum, but it's more to describe the look. There aren't actually brushes involved in making the texture.

Thanks :) It's called brushed aluminum, but it's more to describe the look. There aren't actually brushes involved in making the texture.

Oops, sorry. What I get for doing too much at once. At least I helped you when you face that problem :lol: I've never used anything like that. Sorry I couldn't help :)

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. :lol:

Is there a difference between Adobe Photoshop 7 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 7? I know I have Photoshop 7, but I don't know if it's elements or not cause someone else put it on the computer for me and I can never get ahold of him to ask him anything. :lol:

Elements doesn't have as many features as regular. For example, it can't do selective colouring, curves, and that kind of things.

Ah, okay. Thanks. :)

ETA: another question:

Is there a program or site that will convert brushes from say CS1, 2, 3 to brushes for PS7?

Last edited:
^Sorry can't help you there.

I have another question that a little OT but still relevant: does anyone know whats up with the LJ looks like its out for a while but was there any scheduled maintainance due today? :confused:

^Sorry can't help you there.

I have another question that a little OT but still relevant: does anyone know whats up with the LJ looks like its out for a while but was there any scheduled maintainance due today? :confused:

I was noticing the same thing. I don't think it's totally out, but rather just really slow right now. I opened two tabs for LJ at the same time; one loaded really slowly and the other didn't load at all.

EDIT: I got onto the main page before there wasn't anything there about site maintenance. The last LJ maintenance news note was listed for 4/28 and 4/29. :borg:

Last edited:
^Thanks for me it's not opening at all I'm gonna one a tab and see if I can get in, I see anything about scheduled maintenance this morning when I checked so that's why I asked, there maybe some server issues but who knows. Thank anyway, I was in the middle of doing some requests and I need to check what people wanted but I can't now :(.

EDIT: I'm guessing it's a server issue then lol. I've got onto the main page but when I try to access other areas of the site like my friends list it's playing up again lol.

Yeah I did see that, I don't know what's wrong with it :wtf:.

Okay, so I figured out the lighting/consistency problem. Turned out I had it on the wrong color proof setting.

Next question -- what are some of the places that you guys would recommend for finding good tutorials? What are some of your favorite tutorials?

I need a little help with something. I used to use PSP Photo XI, now I have X2. Anyway, I know on XI, at least one time I was able to combine pictures. Like I had a picture of wings opened up and a picture of a random star, lets say Jon Bon Jovi in this case and I was able to make a pic where it looked like he had wings. But, I cannot recall how I did it (I didn't follow a tut or anything, just played around with the program). Can someone please tell me or link me to a tut for both PSP and Photoshop on how I can do that? I want to be able to make a cutout of someone and add it to a background (I currently do that in Picture It and then do other tweaking in PSP or PS).

Thanks.

Back