The Fan Art Forum Guide - Rules/Tuts./Questions *updated 10-05

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by cofi_shot, Oct 1, 2006.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think there are some in one or both of the links I posted here:

Here's one more I found. :)

Here's another one

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

thank you :)

thanks I could use those too! :)

EDIT: How do I use downloaded fonts in photoshop they won't show up on my font list :confused:

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  3. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

If i have a tech question about Photoshop I can ask it here right?

Just I was wonderingg, if i'm making, say an icon, and i want an outline on my text - how do i do that?

Did you add them to the section of your computer that holds all the fonts? [if that makes sense] I know how to do it on windows but if you use a mac i have no idea XP

4. shazza_018

I have no idea what you mean by that ha, I have windows so if you could explain I'd appreciate that.

5. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

I'll try it, although I'm not usng an english version...

You go to "Computer"-->then select the folder "Windows"-->and then a folder "Fonts" should show up...you have to put the fonts you want to add to PS there...if they're WinRar...select "extract file..." and then go the way I described...I hope that makes sense :)

6. shazza_018

Oh thank you thank you thank you Steffi! :)

You rock! :D

7. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I'm guessing that what you're referring to is a stroke. Go to Layer --> Layer Styles --> stroke. You can then add a defined line around the text, add a glow or general, more fuzzy outline around it ('outer glow') or a shadow behind it ('drop-shadow') behind it on the 'Layer Styles' box that should pop up. If you want to stroke other items (like, for example, the icon itself), you can also sometimes go to Edit --> Stroke. Hope that helps!

8. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

oh okay... i think i get it =D i shall try it out and report back

9. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

I know! :lol: Just kidding. Glad I could help! :D

10. happyharper13

This is less of a relevant help question, and more just a request for advice, but I currently have Photoshop through my school. We have it set up through Key Access so that it can be downloaded for free from the school, but can only be used on campus. I used Gimp briefly before I found out about the free version at my school and liked it to a degree, but now I've fallen in love with Photoshop. Today is my last day on campus, so I won't have Photoshop for the summer (and my school is hundreds of miles away from my home, so there's no way I can finagle still getting access the same way). I'm a relatively broke college student, but I have a few hundred dollars in spending money from scholarships and gifts and I'm honestly contemplating using that money to buy Photoshop, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it.

How many of you guys use Gimp or have used Gimp, and do you think you can do pretty much the same stuff as on Photoshop? In general, do you think Photoshop is worth it, over Gimp, especially when funds are tight? Have you noticed any noticeable difference in the quality of your icons, et al?

I think my parents might be willing to pay for it if I can validate it as a legitimate academic/practical/professional expense, i.e. if it would be useful for general school projects or as a general computer skill that would look appealing to potential employers. Do you think there's a valid argument for more practical benefits of Photoshop, and that it could qualify as a generally useful school/professional/practical purchase?

11. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Does anyone here know how to use flash graphics? If you do can you PM me? Thanks!

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Does anyone know why when I open PS7 (every single time) it wants to update and it's always the same file?

13. shazza_018

I have a question, how do I add textures to my icons in photoshop, I've tried everything but had no luck so far, any ideas?

ETA:

Nevermind, figured it out! :)

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  14. happyharper13

NVM :)

ETA: I've downloaded some textures from DeviantArt where the folders themselves ended up as RARs. PS doesn't recognize the files. How do I make them usable?

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  15. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

Guys, I need help!
    I messed up with my LJ layout/journal style, I had one and I deleted it, can anyone tell me where I can find some cool ones?
    It looks horrible now :scream: