The Ever-Declining Danny: Hot Or Not?

Kimmychu said:
I don't think he meant that Danny wanted to be Mac but rather, Danny wants to have the same experience and wisdom that Mac does, with time. It's possible for Danny to have that and still be his passionate self, isn't it?

I agree. I don't see that the two have to be mutually exclusive...

I have never been a big Carmine fan and I guess it won't change but I really like the character he plays. Or played, actually...

In season 1 I didn't like him. When I have seen him, the first thought was 'pretty face and nothing more'. I just couldn't buy it that he's someone so special that Mac himself has choosen him to be in his team. He was kinda bad boy and his hair was a catastrophe. I mean for me he was too boyish, too hot-headed, too much hearing what his guts and not the evidences say... It was like he tried the whole time to impress Mac. I know, he wanted to show his boss it wasn't a mistake to hire him but still thats not a reason to behave like a smartass... It was like in front od Mac he played nice smart Danny but when he was with the others he was different. The other thing I didn't like was the player part of him. Thanks god it wasn't that much, but when I saw the scene in 'GM' in the sushi restaurant, that just spoke volumen to me. But it's changed. 'OTJ' cooled him a little down. You could see the first time his real face, everything is just a show. When he has been in trouble he got lost. Lost. No more the smart lines and 'oh so funny' jokes. It was just sad to see that he don't trust his 'friends'. After five years in this job...

and then came season 2... best season ever (not much too choose) This Danny is the Danny I've learned to like... love... I don't know. He wasn't the kid from SI with the dark past (which is a very interesting thing, more about it, please tptb!)anymore. He's grown up. He has done his job with passion like last year but he was more mature. And he hasn't been in Mac's shadow anymore, he did his own thing. That was good. You could really see that he was the number three in the team. He was funny. sometims still a little hot-headed but he's learned to control himself. A cool guy, simple. And in RSRD was his best episode. TPTB showed him as a brother. Great. When Lindsay told him the DNA results from the cigarett, he went to Mac and talked with him about it and not tried to make it on his own. He's learned to trust them. I agree that his behaviour in CotP wasn't like it should have been but I hope that Flack was so druged that he don't know it... Would be better for Danny...

And this year... I just want to cry... just do something really bad with the writters... with tptb...argh!!

This year Danny is a catastrophe. This is not Danny. I can't see him anymore. Where is the passion? The spark? The... the... the... something. It's gone. I guess he does a part-time job this season like his partner. I mean except HotD and RS there wasn't anything meaningful this season. That's sad. I'm disappionted. But I can't change it. I can just ask why.

Maybe it's the writters fault. They's come to a point with this character and don't know what to do next... but that can't be. They're not so stupid.

Maybe it's because of the love story? I admit that in some scenes I just thought I will throw something on my TV (but then I thought they don't worth it, poor TV! it's not your fault) I just wanted to do something really painful to her. Why couldn't it be like in season 2? they had a good time together, it was fun, it was okay. But now they did such a big drama. God the show's about solving murder cases and not about them. I don't hate this ship, it's kinda cute but it could have been done better. It's just sad that he's the one who has to suffer because of her problems. If tptb wanted this ship so much why couldn't they start it after she was back from Montana. I just really didn't need to see the 15 episodes between. Just not this whole theater. That was crap.... the way how they have done it, not the fact that they are together. It's just sad that tptb thinks that Danny has to change because he feels something for someone. Oaky so that means he has to be alone to stay normal... wow... poor guy! can't fall in love for a girl because he changes into a love sick puppy... god...

Maybe it's Carmine. I don't know. We have seen him in the first two seasons and we know that he can do a lot with his character, he just has to want it. It's hard to tell but I have heard that he and Anna are good friends and IMO that should even make it easier for them to play their part but it doesn't work here...

and about the season final and next year... I have read the spoilers and I have still hopes that something will change, but the rumors about him changing into someone who cheat on his girlfriend just because he has a moment or that he might shut everyone out makes me thing about James Moore(?) from 'Bad beat'. I don't mean it would be so extremly but it sounds a little familiar to me...

Don't screw it up, tptb!

so thats just my opinion... I'm a newbie here so... hope makes some sense ;)

Annie

I just want to start of that Danny Messer is the reason why I started to watch. He's my favorite character. He's the guy in the story line that you could most relate to. He's unpredictable. He's emotional. He's not perfect. He has a past. He has great empathy. I just love him.

But there are times that I just think that he was hit upside the head to the point that he's a different person.

“Now, let's contrast this to the kind of thing that myself and others don't like from seasons 2 and 3. What about when Stella had her ordeal in "All Access"--Danny seemed totally unconcerned, which is unlike him. Where was the friendship then? Is it that he couldn't be upset because Lindsay was or something? And in "Charge of This Post," how good of a friend was he when he left the hospital while Flack's prognosis was still unknown ("cautious optimism" wouldn't be enough to get me to leave my friend, thank you)?”

I remember in a past episode in season 2; he was bothered about having to solve a case of a gypsy cab driver because he remembered his dad being beaten up by one in his childhood. He even insulted the vitim in front of his son. Then when he got hot-headed when they were trying to find Aidan's killer. He was even threatening to go and handle it himself. Then of course the whole incident with Louie. He even broke down in Mac's arms. These was just some of the times that Danny was Danny.

But then, there were times that he was calm to the point that I thought he was insensitve. The time Stella got attack. Then when Flack nearly got blow into bits. But Danny was calm. He even calmed Lindsay down and justl left Mac in the hospital.

Call me paranoid but I think that the writers were trying to push him back, but I don't think it was because of him. At the time he was calm someone else was being focused on. When Stella got attacked, Lindsay was restless. When Flack nearly died, Mac's icy marine heart melted a little. It's like when someone else needs to look a little more human the writers push someone else to balance it all, in these cases it was Danny.

Danny is a great character but he is not a leading character which could be the reason why he seems dispensable to the wirters. Then if we look in the past seasons he's really well developed compared to the others like Flack and Lindsay. Now in the 3rd season more focus are given to them and Danny has been pushed to the side.

I really think that it was just the writers who gave Danny mood swings. Carmine's a great actor. He does his best with what he's given and right now what they're giving him is mediocre compare to what he was given before. Which makes Danny a little disappointing now a days.

Like you I'm just hoping and praying that it will get better, because this show deserves better. And it would be a shame to lose Danny like this.

CrushinOnMesser said:
Danny is a great character but he is not a leading character which could be the reason why he seems dispensable to the wirters. Then if we look in the past seasons he's really well developed compared to the others like Flack and Lindsay. Now in the 3rd season more focus are given to them and Danny has been pushed to the side.

I really think that's the point. It's as simple as that. The writers pushed him in the background to focus on someone else. He's been given poor material because they were busy trying to sell other storylines.

I'm not saying it couldn't have been done differently. Hell, yeah, your average fanfic writer would've probably handled his situation a lot better but I'm starting to convince myself that besides Danny's "maturation" and his changes/reactions to what happened in S2 (which would've made a lot more sense if they'd been explored) the reason for this season's metamorphosis (sp?) is that the character's just been backed into a corner and randomly dusted out of it throughout the season, effectively screwing the development the writers had built in the past.

And it would be a shame to lose Danny like this.

Yes, it would. Which is why if the finale leads to something good for S4 I'm willing to believe they'll bring drama queen Danny back. I'm not ready to kiss my favourite character goodbye so call me naive but I still got hope. :)

*wipes sweat off forehead*

Man, can you believe it took me close to ten minutes to express a thought that the average English-speaking girl would've written in two? *lol* Ah, the downside of being Italian... ;)

I do think he has pushed into the background for the sake of other character development.
It's just a shame the only way they have developed Danny this season is as the object of Linndsay's affection! BLAHH!

I agree with what you're all saying. Flack, in particular has been pushed forward to a much greater degree this season, and Hawkes too has been fleshed out as a character.

While I understand that a creating a more even balance between these supporting characters might be a good idea, even at the expense of more screen time for the delectable Danny, there is no reason why his characterisation should suffer. Surely, if you want Danny to be less dominant you just put him on the screen less, focus on the other characters rather than completely obliterate those elements of his character that are so compelling and attractive and reduce him to a bland doormat...

Exactly! It's not as if all they've done is decreased his screen time. I could have coped with that if he still had the odd dramatic and Danny-esque storyline here or there. They have done a complete 360 on the character that we have grown to love and turned him into a whole lot of nothing!

Yup, I never thought that I would associate the words *door and *mat in the same sentence as regards the character of Danny. But now, all I see is a doormat willing and waiting for Lindsey to tread all over and wipe her feet on him. As has been said before I have no problem with other characters getting their arcs and more screentime if the little we did see of Danny was used rightly. Jeez guys, just give him his bite back.

Twinkletoes said:
I agree with what you're all saying. Flack, in particular has been pushed forward to a much greater degree this season, and Hawkes too has been fleshed out as a character.

While I understand that a creating a more even balance between these supporting characters might be a good idea, even at the expense of more screen time for the delectable Danny, there is no reason why his characterisation should suffer. Surely, if you want Danny to be less dominant you just put him on the screen less, focus on the other characters rather than completely obliterate those elements of his character that are so compelling and attractive and reduce him to a bland doormat...

I agree. The other characters had less screen time in the last two seasons but they storylines have been written interesting. It's a shame that they can't do the same with Danny. I understand that tptb wanted to focused this year on the rest of the team but they could make the change in a little more subtle way. I don't have a problem with Danny being in the background but it doesn't mean that he has to disappear completely.

Yeah give Danny his balls back. I think even he's beginning to feel the strain now! poor guy.
It's strange that the same Danny that we saw realistically breaking his heart in RS,RD is now flying to Montana and begging someone to go to lunch with him, after she's said no more than once. Hell he's dedicated if nothing else.

MichelleK said
It's strange that the same Danny that we saw realistically breaking his heart in RS,RD is now flying to Montana and begging someone to go to lunch with him, after she's said no more than once. Hell he's dedicated if nothing else.

I'd like to think that he's just using up the air miles he's collected from buying so many doormats to adorn himself in.......

Haha!! I like it.
He wasn't thinking rationally, all those long shifts and everything. He went crazy! I'm hoping the moment will pass soon enough. My stomach lurches enough when they are both in a scene. I kinda look like Flack does in your avatar!!

Joolz your avatar and signature thingy are just hilarious, totally brilliant :lol: :lol:

MichelleK thanks for bringing them to my attention :D

It's in my bio the thanks to the people who made them, they're amazing. I however am a total technophobe that couldn't resist them.

Maybe if Danny stitches all his doormats together he could make a flying carpet and flee his awful plotlines and
Lindsey. :lol:

One good side has this whole thing... it makes you all very creative in expressing your opinions. You really can't resist not to laugh at it :lol: :lol: :lol:

really funny avatar :lol:

poor Danny... :p

Annie

Back