The Ever-Declining Danny: Hot Or Not?

lookaboomerang said:
Because I don't really know him, but I know enough to come to the conclusion that he's a skeez, and I will not elaborate any further there, so please don't ask.

Ya do realize that by saying that, people's curiosity is going to be totally piqued and they're gonna ask anyway, right? :p

Kimmychu said:
lookaboomerang said:
Because I don't really know him, but I know enough to come to the conclusion that he's a skeez, and I will not elaborate any further there, so please don't ask.

Ya do realize that by saying that, people's curiosity is going to be totally piqued and they're gonna ask anyway, right? :p

All I want to know is, what's a skeez???

Hi, this is my 1st post here, so please excuse any mistakes! You have all got me thinking deeper about something that has been floating around my mind for a few weeks now. I loved CSI:NY from the very beginning because of its 'grittiness', and I was not intially attracted to Mr G (I thought his streaked hair was revolting!!!), but I did grow to like the character of Danny. Then, during the 1st few episodes of Season 2 (no more streaks - thank God!) I realised that Carmine did float my boat in a big way,and I began to look forward even more than ever to Saturday nights (that's when it's aired in the UK). Danny's character started to develop nicely, as did all the other characters, and I thought that the flirting betwenn 'D/L'

Hi again...told you something would happen! I must have accidently pressed the 'post' button by mistake. To continue where I left off...
...the flirting between 'D/L' was funny and mainly harmless. I feel that one of the main problems has been the continuity (as has been mentioned many times before on this site), or the lack of it! We're on about episode 13 (Season 3) in the UK, and I feel like Danny is slowly being turned into someone that is so opposite to what he was in Seasons 1 & 2. There are too many unanswered questions (e.g. Louie, leaving Flack at the hospital to give a ride home to L). As for 'hot or not', I still think that Carmine & Danny are hot (just please no more streaked hair!)

Twinkletoes said:

All I want to know is, what's a skeez???

I dunno what lookaboomerang's skeez means, but the definition I'm familiar with is, skeez = sleazebag = jerk. In other words, a guy ya don't wanna waste yer time on. :lol:

Faylinn said: Now, let's contrast this to the kind of thing that myself and others don't like from seasons 2 and 3. What about when Stella had her ordeal in "All Access"--Danny seemed totally unconcerned, which is unlike him. Where was the friendship then? Is it that he couldn't be upset because Lindsay was or something? And in "Charge of This Post," how good of a friend was he when he left the hospital while Flack's prognosis was still unknown ("cautious optimism" wouldn't be enough to get me to leave my friend, thank you)?

I certainly understand why many people are confused/angered by these two examples, especially when TPTB had him fly off to Montana to support Lindsay. I have a different viewpoint on these instances. It's been established that Danny not only wants to please Mac as a boss, but it is quite likely he sees him as a father figure. It's also been established that Danny can be emotionally childlike in some ways. When I think about AA and COTP, in both instances Mac was on top of the situations. He went through the whole ordeal and was there at the hospital with Flack; and he was a first responder in Stella's case. In AA Danny tells Lindsay that Mac wants them to go on working, that he and Flack have everything under control. In COTP, Mac is staying in the hospital with Flack and has that situation under control. I think it makes perfect sense for Danny to be comforted that "Dad" is taking care of the "family" and will no doubt alert him if something happens or is needed. If they had shown any of the recovery process for either Stella or Flack, I speculate we would have seen Danny being supportive and helpful. In Lindsay's case, it would've made sense for him to go to Montana if they had left the "romance" out of it. No one in the CSI "family" was there for her, so he decided he needed to be. Plus "dad" gave him time off from work, to rest up yes, but he took that as an opportunity to be supportive of someone who needed it. Unfortunately, TPTB continued the soap fest and that made it look completely out of character for Danny to be there for her and not Flack or Stella. That's my devil's advocate post for the day.

lookaboomerang said: Why? Because I don't really know him, but I know enough to come to the conclusion that he's a skeez, and I will not elaborate any further there, so please don't ask.

I don't mean to offend you, lookaboomerang, and I'm not making any judgements about you as a person, but I have to say that I don't think it's fair to say Carmine is skeezy when you admit you don't know him and you don't back up your assessment.

ETA:
MichelleK said: skeez means jerk?? How odd!

It's a combination of skanky and sleezy, at least that's what I've always thought.

Perfect Anomaly, I think that you have raised some very valid points about Danny's character and the way he reacted to certain situations. I remember reading an article where Carmine was being interviewed about CSI:NY, and he said something along the lines that 'people watching episodes more than once just in case they missed something the 1st time' was a good thing. I think, like when reading a good book, different people are going to draw different conclusions, just as long as there is the evidence there to back up their conclusions. Anyway wouldn't it be a boring world if we all thought the same?

Danistheman said:
I think, like when reading a good book, different people are going to draw different conclusions, just as long as there is the evidence there to back up their conclusions. Anyway wouldn't it be a boring world if we all thought the same?

Amen to that. What you just said is the reason I felt comfortable to start posting here. There's been a few minor squabbles, but for the most part you can express a differing opinion and have it be respected regardless of if anyone agrees with you. That's almost unheard of on a public message board. Kudos to the moderators and everyone else for making this a pleasant environment. :) That's my OT post for the day.

ETA: That's also my ass kisser post for the day. :D

Well, I'm not passing any judgements on Carmine himself since, like boom pointed out, we don't know him personally, and I'm not likely to. ;) So I'll just stick with the acting. :)

PerfectAnomaly said
It's been established that Danny not only wants to please Mac as a boss, but it is quite likely he sees him as a father figure. It's also been established that Danny can be emotionally childlike in some ways.
Well, that's true enough, and I see your point--I just think there should have been more of a reaction from Danny. More of a hint that yes, he trusted Mac, but he was still upset. I go back to "Heroes"--Mac was trying to calm him down when he wanted to go after the guy who owned the car, and even though Mac was trying to find the guy who killed Aiden, Danny was obviously still distracted--Flack had to calm him down at one point. Also, in "Raising Shane," Danny knew that Mac wasn't going to let Hawkes take the blame for the murder--but that didn't stop him from being ansty and bending the rules to talk to the witness.

So, while I could definitely buy that Danny puts his faith in Mac to make things right, I don't see how, in the case of Stella being attacked and almost dying and Flack almost dying, he would show less emotion overall. Even though he trusts Mac implicitly, I would still expect to see a sign that he's deeply affected...

I don't mean to offend you, lookaboomerang, and I'm not making any judgements about you as a person, but I have to say that I don't think it's fair to say Carmine is skeezy when you admit you don't know him and you don't back up your assessment.

I'm not offended. I just said that I know enough to feel the way I do. Yeah, maybe I should have kept that little comment to myself, but I didn't feel like it. We're discussing the character and the actor comes with the territory, so I threw in my 2 cents about him too. We all have different opinions about people, and this is mine about him. Nobody has to agree with what I say.

You can think whatever you want about him, but that's just my opinion. Not forcing it down anyone's throat or anything. So, just please, respect it and take it with a grain of salt just like anything else that is ever posted here.

Faylinn said: Well, that's true enough, and I see your point--I just think there should have been more of a reaction from Danny. More of a hint that yes, he trusted Mac, but he was still upset. I go back to "Heroes"--Mac was trying to calm him down when he wanted to go after the guy who owned the car, and even though Mac was trying to find the guy who killed Aiden, Danny was obviously still distracted--Flack had to calm him down at one point. Also, in "Raising Shane," Danny knew that Mac wasn't going to let Hawkes take the blame for the murder--but that didn't stop him from being ansty and bending the rules to talk to the witness.

So, while I could definitely buy that Danny puts his faith in Mac to make things right, I don't see how, in the case of Stella being attacked and almost dying and Flack almost dying, he would show less emotion overall. Even though he trusts Mac implicitly, I would still expect to see a sign that he's deeply affected...

You make a great point, and there are parallels between the Aiden/Hawkes situations and the Stella/Flack situations. But I would argue that in the first two instances Danny didn’t feel like the situations were totally in control. Yes, he trusts Mac. But in “Heroes” Aiden is murdered and it’s probable she was raped. I would put that in a category by itself because there’s a whole different set of emotions/reactions one has to death than to injury, even if it’s serious injury. Plus, when he went after the car owner, the investigation just started and they didn’t have a viable suspect. I think it would be in character for Danny to lose it when he sees a possible suspect brought in for questioning in his co-worker/friend’s murder. In Hawkes case I’m not sure Danny was confident Hawkes would be cleared, and even if he was, the whole team was working the case. Since Danny was involved in the investigation – even though he was initially sent to another scene – it was totally in character to go outside the rules. The evidence against Hawkes was pretty damning. He did what he thought he had to do regardless of the rules.

I think that in AA and COTP, there was no opportunity for Danny to go all “Danny” on anyone’s ass. He wasn’t at the scene in AA, and was subsequently told by Mac that Stella was going to be physically OK, the situation was under control and that he and Lindsay needed to work the other case. Plus, the suspect in the attack was dead. In COTP, Danny was involved in the investigation. By the time the bomber’s identity was revealed, it was time to bring the guy down. And then in the hospital, Mac was there and let everyone know he was staying.

After all of that, I guess this is my point. The big difference between the reactions to Aiden/Hawkes and Stella/Flack is that in the first two instances Danny felt there was something he could physically do to help his co-workers/friends. In the latter two, there wasn’t anything physically he could do. In RSRD, we see that Danny isn’t the sit at the hospital and wait type. Yes, he made peace with his brother, but then he had to get out and do something. Even though it was only taking a walk, it wasn’t sitting at Louie’s bedside and being comforting. I think that’s why not having a dramatic reaction to Stella and Flack’s situations was in character. Like I said, if TPTB had shown any of Stella or Flack’s recovery, Danny would have been able to do something. He’d help out his co-workers/friends.

Yes, he made peace with his brother, but then he had to get out and do something. Even though it was only taking a walk, it wasn’t sitting at Louie’s bedside and being comforting. I think that’s why not having a dramatic reaction to Stella and Flack’s situations was in character. Like I said, if TPTB had shown any of Stella or Flack’s recovery, Danny would have been able to do something. He’d help out his co-workers/friends.

But Danny does have a dramatic reaction. He falls crying into Macs arms, he crys at Louies bedside. I think the big difference with RS,RD is that he feels in someway to blame for his brothers situation. There is a lot of things that have been left unsaid between them and Danny is concerned that he'll never get to say them.

I'm not saying that he had to lay weeping at Flack's bedside, i don't think their relationship is like that.

In heroes Danny isn't working Aidens case. He may trust Mac but his friend has been murdered (most likely raped) but what could he possibly do? That wasn't his case, he was working on the murdered marine, yet we still see hot headed Danny, Mac telling him they are doing all they can. Flack steering him away from the topic and back to the case they are working on.

In CoTP he is working the case. He can do something to help his friend. I think you are right about TPTB, they went the wrong way about things to be honest i can't even remember Danny asking about Flack in CoTP, Stella does, Lindsey does, even Jane Parsons knows how he is doing as she gives Mac an update. Hawkes goes to check on his CAT scan (although he is a doc so i guess he was being practical) The only thing i really remember Danny doing is searching for survivors. Danny doesn't find Don, he sees a hand in the rubble. It's the guy that Flack was telling to get out of the building that helps the rescuers get to them because Mac tells him to make some noise and alert the rescue team. I know i'm just splitting hairs and that you can't show everybodies reactions. I just felt that Danny was let down and pushed into the background in an episode where alot of people felt he perhaps should have had more to do and say. We had been led to believe that Flack and Danny were close. I guess some of the audience felt let down by Danny's reaction to it.

Sorry if i have just rambled. :D

Back