The Ever-Declining Danny: Hot Or Not?

Yes, he made peace with his brother, but then he had to get out and do something. Even though it was only taking a walk, it wasn’t sitting at Louie’s bedside and being comforting. I think that’s why not having a dramatic reaction to Stella and Flack’s situations was in character. Like I said, if TPTB had shown any of Stella or Flack’s recovery, Danny would have been able to do something. He’d help out his co-workers/friends.

But Danny does have a dramatic reaction. He falls crying into Macs arms, he crys at Louies bedside. I think the big difference with RS,RD is that he feels in someway to blame for his brothers situation. There is a lot of things that have been left unsaid between them and Danny is concerned that he'll never get to say them.

I'm not saying that he had to lay weeping at Flack's bedside, i don't think their relationship is like that.

In heroes Danny isn't working Aidens case. He may trust Mac but his friend has been murdered (most likely raped) but what could he possibly do? That wasn't his case, he was working on the murdered marine, yet we still see hot headed Danny, Mac telling him they are doing all they can. Flack steering him away from the topic and back to the case they are working on.

In CoTP he is working the case. He can do something to help his friend. I think you are right about TPTB, they went the wrong way about things to be honest i can't even remember Danny asking about Flack in CoTP, Stella does, Lindsey does, even Jane Parsons knows how he is doing as she gives Mac an update. Hawkes goes to check on his CAT scan (although he is a doc so i guess he was being practical) The only thing i really remember Danny doing is searching for survivors. Danny doesn't find Don, he sees a hand in the rubble. It's the guy that Flack was telling to get out of the building that helps the rescuers get to them because Mac tells him to make some noise and alert the rescue team. I know i'm just splitting hairs and that you can't show everybodies reactions. I just felt that Danny was let down and pushed into the background in an episode where alot of people felt he perhaps should have had more to do and say. We had been led to believe that Flack and Danny were close. I guess some of the audience felt let down by Danny's reaction to it.

Sorry if i have just rambled. :D

(If I sound bitchy, it's not aimed at a poster, just to be clear from the beginning. :lol:)

PerfectAnomaly
The big difference between the reactions to Aiden/Hawkes and Stella/Flack is that in the first two instances Danny felt there was something he could physically do to help his co-workers/friends. In the latter two, there wasn’t anything physically he could do.
Even if there isn't anything that Danny can do to help, it's nice to have the indication that he still gives a shit. IMO, if he wants to help his coworkers, and be who Danny is, he'd want to see them now, to know they're alright, to comfort them and see if he could help. He'd be worried about them and want reassurance that they weren't leaving him. Even if he did as Mac asked and worked on a case, I wouldn't expect Danny, being Danny, to act like everything is hunky-dory. Stella is in the hospital--yes, she's okay, but Danny would still worry about her. Flack had a good prognosis--yes, the worst is over, but Danny should give him more than a fleeting glance before rushing off. They didn't die, but they could have, and Danny is a highly emotional person, so I would expect him to still be visibly affected.

It could be partly down to Carmine for not giving those tiny hints that show that Danny is emotionally distressed despite what's going on.

However, the thing that really pisses me off is the writing. We shouldn't have to sit around explaining to each other what Danny did offscreen that would make it all make sense--they should have done it right for us. How many times do we have to reconcile their shoddy writing?

Let's not talk about Carmine as a person since we don't know him. Of course it's natural that sometimes it can be difficult to separate the real person from the fictional character, but we need to be respectful of the man behind the character.

I love all the participation in this thread. It looks like most people are in agreement that Danny was a brilliant character in seasons one and two. From there, there are varying interpretations of where he stands now that season three is wrapping up.

Personally, I don't want to give up on Danny. He was my favorite character. I want the writers to take notice and return to the things that worked. Most fans are loyal. If you give us what we want, we can forget season three ever happened and move forward from there.

Sammy11 said:
But Danny does have a dramatic reaction. He falls crying into Macs arms, he crys at Louies bedside. I think the big difference with RS,RD is that he feels in someway to blame for his brothers situation. There is a lot of things that have been left unsaid between them and Danny is concerned that he'll never get to say them.

You’re right. Danny does have a dramatic reaction in RSRD and that’s because Louie’s family and he does feel guilty. I guess I was trying to make the point that he isn’t the sit in the hospital type.

Sammy11 said:
to be honest i can't even remember Danny asking about Flack in CoTP, Stella does, Lindsey does, even Jane Parsons knows how he is doing as she gives Mac an update. Hawkes goes to check on his CAT scan (although he is a doc so i guess he was being practical) The only thing i really remember Danny doing is searching for survivors.

You’re right again. I blanked that everyone else asks about Flack. That fact does make his reaction out of character.

Sammy11 said:
Sorry if i have just rambled.

You made perfect sense to me.

Faylinn said: Even if there isn't anything that Danny can do to help, it's nice to have the indication that he still gives a shit. IMO, if he wants to help his coworkers, and be who Danny is, he'd want to see them now, to know they're alright, to comfort them and see if he could help. He'd be worried about them and want reassurance that they weren't leaving him. Even if he did as Mac asked and worked on a case, I wouldn't expect Danny, being Danny, to act like everything is hunky-dory. Stella is in the hospital--yes, she's okay, but Danny would still worry about her. Flack had a good prognosis--yes, the worst is over, but Danny should give him more than a fleeting glance before rushing off. They didn't die, but they could have, and Danny is a highly emotional person, so I would expect him to still be visibly affected.

It could be partly down to Carmine for not giving those tiny hints that show that Danny is emotionally distressed despite what's going on.

However, the thing that really pisses me off is the writing. We shouldn't have to sit around explaining to each other what Danny did offscreen that would make it all make sense--they should have done it right for us. How many times do we have to reconcile their shoddy writing?.

Damnit, I go and try to be all devil's advocate and you two totally blow holes in my theories. :D ;) What you said makes a lot of sense, and I can’t really defend Danny’s actions any longer. I totally agree that a lot of the blame goes to the writers, and I concede part of my point was based on what could have happened instead of what did. It was fun trying to logically explain the discrepancies in character, but I officially raise the white flag and agree that Danny’s character has been royally screwed over and there's most likely multiple reasons - including Carmine himself - for it happening.

P.S. My new signature is meant as homage to the character we used to know and love, not to be confrontational.

Damnit, I go and try to be all devil's advocate and you two totally blow holes in my theories.
:devil: Bwuah-ha-ha-ha! Just kidding. :p But really, you made us think about it, which is the point, and even though I ramble out my ass, none of us is really right or wrong. ;) I just love being able to have discussions like this with y'all. :D

*holds hands and sings "Kumbaya"* :lol:

there's most likely multiple reasons - including Carmine himself - for it happening.
Exactly--and hopefully at least a few of those reasons will iron themselves out before season 4. :p

My new signature is meant as homage to the character we used to know and love, not to be confrontational.
Hehe, I like it. :D

I just feel like the writers gave us such a powerful character and started to build, in my opinion, one of the best characters on tv in the first two seasons and then have just dropped him to a bit actor this season. I don't want him to be centre stage each week but at least decide who you want Danny to be and run with it.
There was so much room for development with Danny's character and it just seems so forced now! Even Carmine doesn't seem half as bothered at the moment.
I'm not giving up on Danny because I know somewhere he is waiting to burst out and go all drama queen on us. I'm just not holding my breathe for it being anytime soon.

Yeah, thanks for making me think about it. I've felt like this for a while, its great being able to finally say it all! :D

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there's most likely multiple reasons - including Carmine himself - for it happening.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly--and hopefully at least a few of those reasons will iron themselves out before season 4.

Something tells me thats gonna be kind painful for one of the creases in particular?...

There was so much room for development with Danny's character and it just seems so forced now! Even Carmine doesn't seem half as bothered at the moment.

Agreed!! I think thats also my main problem. Sorry to say it but i do feel Carmine is beginning not to care, maybe thats cos he feels the sameway we all do. Who knows? but i think partly some of the blame has to go to Mr G himself. We see sparks of his old Peppyness and emotional traits and at other times it seems like he can't be bothered. Maybe that is a little harsh, but its the only way i can describe it.

Faylinn said:
^^ In season 1, I believed Danny to be a rough-around-the-edges guy with a lot of intelligence. He didn't always use it, and his intuition sucked sometimes, but he was by no means unintelligent. Not every scientist is Adam, the socially awkward guy who just seems to belong in a lab coat--Danny was different, and that was so much of the appeal.

The changes that were made to the character starting in season two squashed so much of the uniqueness that he had, his 'bad boy' side, if you will--but he didn't suddenly become more intelligent or more capable of being a scientist. :rolleyes:

Well, I have never seen Danny as a scientist, even this season...he is more of a cop, than forensic scientist. I have always like Hawkes better though. I have been in so many different science classes, and the one thing that I always notice, is how similar we all are. Nerdy and socially awkward, its pretty funny. There are exceptions, but I have never seen a guy like Danny, he just isn't rational. Not saying he isn't smart, just has a different type of smart, he doesn't seem science minded to me. I like him better this season, he seems to be more rational now.

for me, danny got interesting in the second season but htis season not so much...they need to do something with his character....put some spices in him...but he is still quite handsome to me... :D

MichelleK said:
Even Carmine doesn't seem half as bothered at the moment.
I'm not giving up on Danny because I know somewhere he is waiting to burst out and go all drama queen on us. I'm just not holding my breathe for it being anytime soon.

It's a possibility that the writers are deliberately writing his character this way, and that he doesn't have much of a choice but go along with it. Who knows, we might get the old Danny back in spades in the new season, kinda like the calm before the storm. *shrugs* I just feel that him not 'bothering' to put effort into his acting isn't ... him. Not after the passion he's shown for his character on the show as well as his other projects in his interviews.

Then again, if people are actually noticing that he might be losing interest ... you know the show's not going along a positive way.

Kimmychu said:
It's a possibility that the writers are deliberately writing his character this way, and that he doesn't have much of a choice but go along with it . . . I just feel that him not 'bothering' to put effort into his acting isn't ... him. Not after the passion he's shown for his character on the show as well as his other projects in his interviews.

Then again, if people are actually noticing that he might be losing interest ... you know the show's not going along a positive way.

I didn't really stop to think about it, but it is very possible that Carmine is being directed to act Danny the way he has been. That's a good point, and I agree if that's the case TPTB should realize there are plenty of diehard fans hating it almost to the point of giving up on the show.

Kimmychu said:
It's a possibility that the writers are deliberately writing his character this way, and that he doesn't have much of a choice but go along with it . . . I just feel that him not 'bothering' to put effort into his acting isn't ... him. Not after the passion he's shown for his character on the show as well as his other projects in his interviews.

Exactly what I was thinking.....To my mind the writers and directors don't let anything past that they're not happy with, regardless of whether or not, we (the viewer) will be happy with it. They have a clear view of what they want for the characters and the show and I'm presuming that it is acted out to their instructions......I think that if they wanted more passion outa Danny they'd direct him to act accordingly. As a comparison, I'll bring in ER and Goran Visnjic's character, Luka. There have been series of this show that have had me tearing my hair out in clumps for the way Luka has been written....from killer to doormat, from can't be bothered to Doc with a conscience. I could go into all sorts of rants about that.....What I'm getting at is that no matter how good the actor, they're written and directed to play a character a certain way. As much as I may love the feisty season 1 Danny and the cheeky season 2 Danny if Zuiker dont want him that way, I ain't gonna get him that way. As for the way Danny has been with Lindsey.........ack!! as much as I hate it, Zuiker seems to love it so I know it's only gonna be put on the back burner if it's his whim next season. Carmine may or may not like the way his character is or isn't developed but as an actor we know he can pull out all the stops and have us fall head over heels for Danny again.......but only if it's what he's been written and directed to do.

I loved the character of Danny, I really did, just as I loved the Luka character in ER........I've had both joy and disappointment at the way they've both been slammed, but I guess it's just par for the course in a drama series. I guess you can't have it good all the time and I'm avidly pinning my hopes on season 4 as the return to the Danny glory days.

Oh well that's more than I've ranted before........

Oh, yea! Recently I've noticed that Danny/Mr.G's eyes have been 'strange'. When he looks at people his eyes seem half closed. Does this mean that
a) he needs stronger glasses?
b) he couldn't be ar*ed with the story line?
c) he couldn't be bothered acting to his normally high standard?
d) he's having too many late nights?
e) he is using Prozac? (as suggested on this site)

Sadly, I'm beginning to think that the answer is both b & c, and unless the script writers give themselves a kick up the bum, then 'fans' will start to drift away. By the way, do any of the Production team read anything on this site?

The only thing I don't understand is why TPTB would spend all the time and energy in building up Danny and having Carmine put in fabulous performances to then treat him like this!
Maybe Carmine wanted a break, acting like he has for the past two years has gotta be tiring. I know the show wanted to focus on the other characters, it just doesn't take much for Carmine/Danny to excel in a scene. It just seems like a waste.

I guess my only answer to that is that TPTB thought the romance would write itself and that the audience would like the fact that Danny had fallen in love. *flaps arms around and hopes the bucket will come quickly*

Well we didn't, and now we are posting here and trying to find answers.

Back