The Eh? Team: Canadian Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
speed_cochrane said:
VManso, I don't really think Healthcare and rapists have anything to do with one another. The Healthcare system was created because basically it's just common sense. Everyone should have the same benefits no matter how much money they make, or if they make none. If someone who was a bazillionaire decides he/she wants to pay for a private clinic, that's their business.

Exactly! The treatment you get should not depend on the amount of money you make or what your status is in society. No matter who you are you should be entitled to good healthcare. Everyone deserves to have a heart that beats properly & I'm happy knowing that our healthcare is one of the best. I haven't been in a situation yet where I had to enlist the help of a local hospital but if I know that day comes I'll be in good hands. I mean, it's our health that allows us to do so much & it gives us freedom too.

Shuri, I aplogize if I came across whinny but my honest intention was to vent on my opinion on how the current government deals with the whole criminal system. Sorry if I offended you or pissed you off in any manner :).

jorja, speed:
I know that Canada has one of the best health service systems as it an offshoot of the British idea and everyone benefits from it,however, shouldn't the law safeguard the wellbeing of the Canadian populace??
A friend of mine from Vancouver still is very touchy on the subject of the Homolka case because she works with children.

^ A law can only do so much to protect us all. However, I figure that the majority of criminals aren't worrying about the law when they're committing a crime. There could be a new Canadian law that states, "Don't kill so and so" but there are bound to be people who will break the law. It's just not like that here, but everywhere in the world. It's physically impossible to stop all the bad people from doing awful things. That's just the reality & people like myself blame the goverment when honestly the goverment has only a slight fault to the whole concept. I may have said otherwise in my past posts but when I sat down and analyzed the situation I realized I was being pretty much wrong.

Well, it was the goverment that made that " deal with the devil" which allowed Karla to be set free!
And, Karla, don't second-guess yourself!

Shuri,
I'm saying that the judicial system should safeguard the wellbeing of the people of Canada so that they are not subject to people like Karla.And the corrupt politicos should be imprisoned for life and they should throw away the key.

.... Safeguard.. How, exactly? Please, do explain that to me.

Corrupt politicians? Excuse me?? You're saying a lot. How are our politicians corrupt? And you're saying that Karla is the devil, correct? You're still saying that our government made a pact with the devil, plain and simple. There are hundreds of people just like Karla that you never hear about. Hell, one could be living right down the street from you. ..And you're talking like Karla is reading this.. why?

Jorja, don't worry about it, okay? :) Just a little steamed up.

jorja_fan86 said:
speed_cochrane said:
VManso, I don't really think Healthcare and rapists have anything to do with one another. The Healthcare system was created because basically it's just common sense. Everyone should have the same benefits no matter how much money they make, or if they make none. If someone who was a bazillionaire decides he/she wants to pay for a private clinic, that's their business.

Exactly! The treatment you get should not depend on the amount of money you make or what your status is in society. No matter who you are you should be entitled to good healthcare. Everyone deserves to have a heart that beats properly & I'm happy knowing that our healthcare is one of the best. I haven't been in a situation yet where I had to enlist the help of a local hospital but if I know that day comes I'll be in good hands. I mean, it's our health that allows us to do so much & it gives us freedom too.

Our healthcare system works in the same way and it's wonderful :) Of coures the queues are often pretty long so I've mostly gone lately to private, since you still don't have to pay it all and like in my case, my insurance used to cover the rest (like all my asthma medication) until I was 20 :)

Shuri,
What I mean by safeguarding the populace is that they should make sure the the people have the right to live their lives in peace without being attacked by individuals like Karla. And spreaking oof Karla, I'm not calling the devil. What I am saying is that the Canadian govt. made a "deal with the devil" which set Karla free. And that;'s why I state that the govt. is corrupt. However , I'm not talking as if Karla were reading this.

^That's not a reason to call government corrupted.

I'm sorry but if you compare Canada as a country, poltics and that stuff. It's much better than US.

Can I ask, VManso, why as an american you have so terrible need to judge Canadian government and claim it's "all corrupted" even your own country is probably 1000 times worse when it comes to politics and such. And is also more corrupted (check Transparency International researchs for least corrupted countries).

One case can be expection. Even if you fail in one thing or do one thing badly, it doesn't mean you are doomed right away.

VManso said
What I am saying is that the Canadian govt. made a "deal with the devil" which set Karla free.

And by this I believe he's referring to the actual term the newspapers and tabloids etc. were using. She gave testimony to put her partner away for life, and now she's free even when she had a hand in the crimes. I do remember a lot of newspapers saying "They made a deal with the devil" so I understand in a sense where VManso is coming from.

As for our Government being corrupt? Sure there were mistakes made, but I wouldn't call it corrupt. And as DaWacko pointed out, just because a Government makes one mistake, doesn't make it automatically so. It's going to take more than that, and more than one large mistake for the people to call their own Government corrupted.

And I looked up The 2005 Transparency International Corruption Perceptions Index. (As Ducky suggested) and if anyone's interested to know, here are the results.

According to the study for least 'corrupt' nations, Canada places number 14, as the United States places number 17. Iceland and Finland are considered the least corrupt nations of the world as they are numbers 1, and 2.

Chad and Bangladesh place as the the most corrupt nations, sitting at numbers 158, and 159.

So as you can see, it's not all terrible in Canada, and in the United States it's not that bad either. The fact that we're still placed that far down (Even though it's nothing compared to Chad and Bangladesh) there is still room for improvement.

On a side note: Congrats to Iceland and Finland. :p

Not to mention, the "deal with the devil" was made before they found the evidence that showed that Karla was not the "scared spouse" she portrayed herself as. They were doing what they thought they had to to put Paul Bernardo away. In hindsight, all the detectives involved in the dealmaking expressed their frustrations at how it ended up going down. Would they have made the deal if they knew the whole story upfront? No way. But what's done is what's done and they did their best.

And it's not like Karla Homolka can go off and live a rich, fulfilling life... everybody knows who she is, and every time there's an identity change, everyone hears about it.

Overall, we have far more widespread issues that are impacting on Canadian society to worry about one woman, sociopathic though she may be.

The Canadian system has its flaws just like any other democratic, western system. Overall though, I'd have to say Canada is most likely one of the more safe westernized countries where one can claim residence.

We are a dangerous debating team.. Haven't you noticed that, guys?

Anyways.. Can we put this to rest now, or do you want to bring up something else, VManso?

Let's put it to rest, guys. Upon hindsight, I answered with my emotions and not with my mind. A personal fault. However, a friend of mine from Vancouver, when I asked her about politics, said to not let her get started on the subject.

Well, are a couple of jokes to lighten the mood:

You Might Be Canadian If:

You bring a portable TV on a camping trip so that you don't miss Hockey Night.
You can repeat the entire Molson's Canadian 'The Rant'.
You know all the words to "If I had a million dollars" by The Barenaked Ladies, including the inter-stanza banter between Steven and Ed.
You dismiss all beers under 6% as "for children and the elderly."
You hum David Foster's '88 Calgary Olympics theme in the shower.
You know that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) don't always look like that.
You make up patriotic lyrics to go along with David Foster's '88 Calgary Olympics theme.
You cried when Gus "drowned" on Road To Avonlea.
You remember when Alanis Morrissette was "Too Hot To Hold".
You think there isn't enough of Peter Gzowski to go around.
You think it's normal to have a grain elevator in your backyard.
You watch MuchMusic constantly, in the hopes of occasional fleeting glimpses of The Tragically Hip.
You have an Inuit carving by your bedside with the rationale, "what's good enough protection for the Prime Minister, is good enough for me!"
You can sing "O' Canada" in French and actually know what the words mean.
You send angry letters to the CBC demanding the return of the Hinterland Who's Who spots so you can finally find out what happens to the arctic ptarmigan in winter.
You participate in Participaction!
You think Peter Mansbridge is sexy.
You think Lloyd Robertson is sexy.
You think Peter Kent is sexy.
You think Matt Damon is so-so.
You stood in line for hours for Another Roadside Attraction tickets.
You killed your best friend for Another Roadside Attraction tickets.
You think Great Big Sea isn't Atlantic-centric enough.
Your backpack has more than one Canadian flag iron-on (and you always have room for more).
You know the names of all the guys in Sloan.
You have been on Speaker's Corner. Bonus points if they edited out your carefully prepared rant against the Harris government.
You know the French equivalents of "free", "prize" and "no sugar added", thanks to your extensive education in bilingual cereal packaging.
You still haven't taken down your "NON" posters from the 95 Referendum.
You know more than 3 guys named Gordon.
You think Ashley MacIssac isn't Celtic enough.
You remember "Jodie" from Today's Special and wonder why you keep seeing her reading news on the CBC.
You can do the hand actions to Sharon, Lois and Bram's "Skin-a-marinki-dinki-do".
You know why "killerwhaletank" is funny.
You can eat more than one maple sugar candy without feeling nauseous.
You had a crush on Joey Jeremiah from Degrassi Junior High.
You know that a "Premier" isn't a baby born a few months early.
You actually watch The Gemini Awards, The Genie Awards, and The Juno Awards. You wonder why Stompin' Tom doesn't get his own category in all three. You scream passionately at the television when your favourite Canadian performers are overlooked by their respective academies.
You think -10 C is mild weather.
You have twins named Donovan and Bailey.
You have twins named Wayne and Gretzky (alternately Gordie and Howe).
You know the ingredients for poutine.
You know what happens in the Evergreen Forest when Bert Raccoon wakes up.
You dressed as Bruno Gerussi for Halloween. You spent hours sifting through garbage on the beach to prepare for the role.
You substitute beer for water when cooking.
You carry empty beer cans from your camping trips home with you in your backpack so you can recycle them when you reach civilization.
You know that the 'Extra Creamy' in Kraft Extra Creamy Dinner is 'add more milk.'
You prefer Elvis Stojko when he has 'hockey hair' - a.k.a. 'the mullet' or 'the shorty-longback'.
You brag about the sweet herb in BC.
You know the chorus of "The Log Driver's Waltz" and are particularly fond of the 'burling down and down' bit.
You steal stationery from your Government of Canada co-operative education placement because you figure you can find lots of uses for paper with 'Human Resources Development Canada/Développement des Ressources Humaines Canada' written at the top.
You have daydreams that film-maker Don McKellar, and Hugh Dillon from The Headstones, skinned and ate Regis Philbin.
You recognize: CPP, RSP, and CCM.
You know what "Canuba" is. You think it's pretty damn funny.
Your gravy boat is shaped like the Bluenose.
You refuse to consume chocolate that doesn't come in either Smarties, Coffee Crisp, or Laura Secord format.
You die a little inside if you can't get your Tim's double-double every morning.
You know the difference between real snow and "television" snow -- the white stuff that passes for snow on tv and in films. You scream, "For Christsake! That should be sticking to their pants!" and "Lookit, it's not melting! That's *so* not snow!" when watching 'Winter' scenes.
Someone accidently stepped on your foot. You apologize.
You stepped on someone's foot. You apologize, then apologize for making them apologize.
You know Casey and Finnegan are NOT a Celtic rock band or imported beer.
You know who Foster Hewitt is.
You can spot MEC from a kilometre away, even if the little white tag is hidden.
You're either out to bingo or getting stinko (and you think no more of Inco) on a Sudbury Saturday night.
You've actually said, "Stay where yer at, 'till I gets where yer to."
You pity people who haven't tasted a "beavertail".
Complete the phrase: "The good old ____ game is the best ____ you can ____."
You've got some rocks and you've got to leave an important message -- Lucky you know how to build an innukshuk!
You have at least one ROOTS sweatshirt that always smells like cigarettes and beer.
You find it difficult to explain "milk in a bag" to non-Canadians, and even more difficult to describe the "snippy-thing" used on bag corners. (Bonus points if your collected snippy-things are stuck to your fridge.)
You're pretty sure you can see Alex Trebek smirking when Jeopardy contestants get the "Canada questions" wrong. Even if you weren't sure of the answer yourself, you consider yourself a hundred times smarter than the idiots who always guess, "What is .. uh, Toronto?"
Your Saturday nights in the Atlantic provinces include eating beans and brown bread as you watch Hockey Night in Canada.
You know that the Canadian Alliance is just the Reform Party with better hair.
You know that, contrary to general belief, the Inuit have about the same amount of words for snow as do English speakers. Your favourite Inuit word for 'snow' is "navcaq" (snow formation about to collapse).
Your local zoo is mainly flamingoes, giraffes and sad elephants freezing their asses off against a backdrop of pine trees, grey skies, and precambrian shield formations.
You wonder why squirrels and seagulls somehow manage to get in every zoo exhibit (including the parking lot and squirrel and seagull exhibits).
You live in a "beach town" and have to eat your brothers and sisters to stay alive during the winter months.
You wonder why Esther Canadas has been blessed with both beauty and the coolest name on the planet -- although Canuck cutie Shalom Harlow could wipe the floor with her.
You're such a hardcore Canadian punk you used ketchup-flavoured potato chip 'residue' to dye your hair. You know it's kind of gross, but at least you smell good.
You don't consider a date truly romantic until you've slow danced to Blue Rodeo's "Five Days in May". You accept "Lost Together" as a second option.
You're not offended by the term "HOMO MILK"
You understand the phrase "Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield."
You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars.
You drink Pop, not Soda.
You only know three spices: Salt, pepper and ketchup
You know that a Mickey and 24's mean, "party at the camp, eh!!!"
You don't care about the fuss with Cuba. It's a cheap place to go for your holidays (not vacation), with good cigars and no Americans.
You know that a pike is a type of fish, not part of a highway
You drive on a highway, not a freeway
You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.
You know that Casey and Finnegan were not part of a Celtic musical group.
You cried when you heard that "Mr Dress Up" died recently.
You brag to Americans: Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & more, are Canadians.
You know that the C.E.O. of American Airlines is a Canadian!
You know what a toque is.
You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced "Zed"
You live in a house with no front step, but the door is one meter up from the ground.
Your local newspaper covers the national news on 2 pages, but requires 6 pages for hockey.
You know that the four seasons means: winter, still winter, almost winter, and road work/construction.
You know that when it's 25 degrees outside, it's a warm day.
You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.
You know how to pronounce and spell "Saskatchewan"
You perk up when you hear the theme song from "Hockey Night in Canada."
You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade.
"Eh?" is a very important part of your vocabulary, and is more polite than, "Huh?"
You call it a BUN not a "Roll"
Its called a WASHROOM not a lavatory or powder room or rest room.
You've ever had your tongue frozen to something.
You know that in Canada the mosquitoes have landing lights
You have more kilometers on your snow blower than your car.
You have 10 favourite recipes for moose meat.
You know that Canadian Tire on any Saturday is busier than the toy stores before Christmas.
You've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a blizzard.
Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled in with snow.
You owe more money on your snowmobile than on your car.
At least twice a year, the kitchen doubles a meat processing plant.
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
Your snow blower gets stuck on the roof.
You think the start of deer season is a national holiday.
You head south to go to your cottage.
You frequently clean grease off your barbeque so the bears won't prowl on your deck.
You know which leaves make for good toilet paper.
The major parish fund-raiser isn't bingo, it's sausage making.
You find -40C a little chilly.
The trunk of your car doubles as a freezer.
You attend a formal in your best clothes, your finest jeweler and your Sorrels.
You can play road hockey on skates.
The municipality buys a Zamboni before a bus.
You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.

:lol: It's quite long but pretty funny...

jorja_fan86 said
Complete the phrase: "The good old ____ game is the best ____ you can ____."

HOCKEY! GAME! PLAY! ...*sigh* Well it's not my fault.

You know the difference between real snow and "television" snow -- the white stuff that passes for snow on tv and in films.

Oh hell yes I can tell. They can't put one past us Canucks.

You're pretty sure you can see Alex Trebek smirking when Jeopardy contestants get the "Canada questions" wrong. Even if you weren't sure of the answer yourself, you consider yourself a hundred times smarter than the idiots who always guess, "What is .. uh, Toronto?"

That has actually happened to me! I swear to GOD he was looking down at those poor Americans. *plays little violin* If we have to learn about them, they had better damn well know about us before they sign on for Jeopardy. *whispers* Alex knows all!

You understand the phrase "Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield."

:lol: Sad, but true.

You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars.
You drink Pop, not Soda.

Now THAT one is true. Very very true. Although one time I called it Soda and wanted to wash my mouth out with soap. :p

You only know three spices: Salt, pepper and ketchup

Yeah, what is with Canadians and their Ketchup? :lol: Oyvé.

You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.

Why is that sad for so many reasons? :lol: Don't forget that we also keep them in our glove compartments in case of emergencies.

You know how to pronounce and spell "Saskatchewan"

:lol: Shuri, remember that one? :p

You've ever had your tongue frozen to something.

That's right, I have. And if anyone one here hasn't, I suggest you try.

*sigh* Thanks for that list jorja_fan :D It was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back