The British and Irish Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Mar 13, 2007.

1. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Is everyone from the north?! I'm from Warwickshire. Shakespeare country. :D
    I am going to Lincoln Uni in September. (unless anything drastic goes wrong. :eek:) I was originally going to Nottingham Trent, but I changed my mind. :lol:

Nice and sunny today wasn't it/isn't it? 18 degrees today, 18 degrees tomorrow, and less warm at the weekend, it's going to rain/ storm on Monday. :( I like it when it storms at night, you don't have to get wet and cold, but I have school. Sucks. :(

Anywho!
    Yay for being British!

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I guess that depends on your definition of North. I know there are at least a couple of posters who are further South than Warwickshire, which is practically the Midlands... ;) Clearly I jest, I am a Northerner and proud. I'm in 'God's own county', or at least that's what my Dad always tells me.

Someone above mentioned wanting to visit North Wales. I have spent many summer months of my life in North Wales and would highly recommend it! Beautiful place, the mountains, castles and walks you can do and visit are amazing and the villages are lovely. If you ever need any recommendations then let me know, I'm the kind of annoying person who has been everywhere and done everything... :lol:

egg, I quite like Lincoln, my husband has family there, I hope all your exams go fine and you'll get to have a great time there! You know that university is supposedly the best time of your life, and only about 30% work and 70% social life right? ;)

3. pixies

pixies Prime Suspect

I'm from dublin, meh-its ok. Depends on where you go I suppose! weathers been great, wearing shades, in april!? :lol:

4. eggbe4thechicken

Sorry I just re-read my post, and it came across bitchy. Sorry. Yep, Warwickshire is in the West Midlands. :) I just thought it was funny that everyone I tend to meet on here from England is from the north. Nothing against the North at all. :D
    :lol: Hopefully. :)

So, how about those 2012 olympics? :lol:

5. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

egg, it didn't sound bitchy, I was only joking. ;)

A waste of money in my opinion...they really need to start on the venues soon if they ever want to get any of it finished on time! Just look how long and over budget Wembley has been... :lol:

Anyway, happy St. Georges Day to all the fellow English folk. :) (thanks to June_85 for posting it up in the UK NY thread, I had forgotten).

6. everclaire

everclaire Rookie

eh up everyone, anyone else from good old northern ireland?

7. eggbe4thechicken

OH! :lol: Good good *hugs*
    Is it St. Georges Day? I didn't realise! :lol: I just read something on the BBC news website, and it said that they reckon that it will be a bank holiday in the next few year! :D Isn't that awesome! They were saying that then Wales would want one too, as they would be left out, etc. Probably fall through. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I am an 1/8th Irish. ;)

8. Fool4love

Fool4love Police Officer

Happy St Georges Day!!!!
    Does anyone really do anything to celebrate ST Georges Day because i've gone through the whole day without it being mentioned.

9. Lvodkadiet

Lvodkadiet Rookie

I think its sad that we dont celebrate really, I mean St Patricks Day is a big thing even in England. I think most people dont really know what its about or what its for etc. We should show solidarity for our country, can you imagine if 4th July was ignored in USA like we ignore St Georges day?!

10. saffire161070

saffire161070 Victim

Hi Everyone - I'm in the Midlands too although originally from York (Gods own country as they like to call it I think). Quite proud to be a tyke but am just a namby pamby southerner now I suppose as have lived down 'ere since '74! Another fine day here in Oxfordshire (apart from the fact we had our first rain last night for three weeks - shock horror). Celebrated St Georges day yesterday with a pint of Hookey at our local in Wardington - mmmm Hookey! (local ale from Hook Norton just outside Banbury - the best around...) My OH father was Irish and from Crumlin in Dublin. He has loads of cousins over there and we've visited a couple of times. My daughter goes to our local Catholic primary school in our little village - we have loads of Irish neighbours round here.

11. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Welcome saffire. :)

God's own county indeed. Us Yorkshire folk do tend to be very proud. :lol: And I would never call anyone a namby pamby Southerner, although I like to think that historically speaking York is the capital of the North. ;)

Anyone who hasn't been to York, I can recommend it! It is a pretty great place to live, and by the amount of tourists around it must be a good place to visit...damn those tourists, getting in my way with their cameras...

We didn't have any St George's day celebrations, I think if I hadn't seen it here then I wouldn't have even noticed it at all. I'm all for it being a bank holiday though, but that's just because I do love a nice bank holiday. :lol:

12. saffire161070

saffire161070 Victim

Thanks Elsie. Must admit to loving York too (was born in Fulford just outside York). Adore the Minster and Shambles. Fan of York City FC too (well, someone has to be I suppose!). Used to live in the small village of Huby near Easingwold until my dad's job bought us down to Banbury when I was 4. Like to go back as often as I can - love walking up Sutton Bank and to the White Horse at Kilburn - my favourite place in the whole world!!

13. eggbe4thechicken

Before you reccommend it you have to warn people about the one-way system! :lol: Stayed on that thing for about 1/2 hour going around and around, until we finally found a way off....going in completely the wrong direction. :lol:
    Beautiful city though. A friend of mine is going to university there.
    Try living in Stratford upon Avon. It's not that big a town, and I swear 90% of the town centre is tourists. :lol:

14. 19ams87

19ams87 CSI Level Two

Howdeeeee my fellow British folk. *waves to the Irish too* :)

I'm from a qaint town in the North West of England, better known to some as 'Chavsville', its nightlife boasts one nightclub and a series of skatty bars playing the most upbeat and modern in the chavs playlist...LMAO, aka Blackburn. I spose it's not that bad, I love the football team and my friends and family are here. Part from that, it sucks lol.

I'll be moving to Leeds in September though, aaaah scary. It's cuz i'm going to Leeds Met uni. Will I count as a Yorkshire bird then?! lol.

15. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

:lol: I recommend taking the train, much less hassle! I've heard a lot of people say that York is a nightmare for driving, so yeah if you don't know it then I wouldn't recommend driving. It's a common problem for people trying to find the university, people always end up at the completely wrong side of York. Even my Mother-in-law gets confused with the one way system and she's lived here for 40 years. ;)

19ams87, I went to Leeds Met undergrad, I'm now at Leeds Uni doing a postgrad course, but it's only part time so I'm not actually physically there. Leeds is a great city, I love it! I recommend the Wednesday student night at the student union, always hilariously funny and really cheap drinks and of course a pub crawl in Headingley. OK, I graduated 5 years ago, but I'm sure it hasn't changed. :p

saffire, I was born at the old maternity hospital in Fulford. I live in Woodthorpe at the moment, but we're moving out of York in October/November. Who doesn't love the white horse? We went there recently, you know they have painted it recently too! A man with a really big paint brush me thinks... :lol: