"Targets of Obsession" Discussion *SPOILERS*

I actually kinda liked the whole psychological aspect of the Haskell/Ray storyline, getting into the minds of the characters is very interesting to me and Bill Irwin really played that craziness of the killer very well. So even if everything else was rather dumb and annoying, all that court-room stuff, at least from the psychological standpoint, it was intriguing to watch the battle of wits and will.

Bieber wasn't that terrible, he was passable in his role, but still, he is not a very good actor, if he should ever choose to pursue acting, I'd recommend taking some classes. As soon as the role called for having more emotions, Bieber failed to bring the emotions forward, he seemed more of a robotic petulant teenager than showing any real emotions. And it didn't help that he was playing off against veteran actor who were much better in their acting craft than he was, it made him look worse. But at least he did the death scene pretty well, I'll give him that.

Jude Ciccolella as Dr. Huxbee was rather wasted, I wished he had more scenes instead of Bieber, it's sad that a man of his great acting talent is wasted in such a small role.

When Vartann was shot, I nearly had a heart-attack! I thought we were gonna loose Vartann for good! I mean, detectives on CSI shows tend to suffer a lot, just ask Flack and Brass. I don't think either of them needs to be reminded of Brass taking bullets to the chest and Flack who pretty much had his guts spilled out on the ground after an explosion. Good thing Vartann was okay!! I was really getting worried there!!

Felt bad for the bomb tech guy Kip, he could have been a great recurring character, it's a shame to loose him....

The main cast continue to do their job well. George Eads carried the episode this time and he played Nick's frustration and emotions very well.

Overall, it was decent episode, surprised that Bieber didn't really distract.

I finally watched this episode.

Hubby and I like Haskell but this storyline needs to end. Although hubby said Haskell is 'creepy smart' which he is. How many times can he escape? And what's with Ray going to him? It seems like Ray and Haskell are the Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Moriarty of CSI. They are nemisises of each other. They seem to feed off each other. Over all that could and usually does make for interesting TV especially when it comes to crime drama, but this storyline is being overused. Let Haskell alone. Either capture him or let him be in the wind... Again, that's me.

So, on to the warehouse. I'm still confused as to why Vartann was there in the first place? Why was he at Nicky's house? Vartann is a homicide detective. Why is he investigating a bombing. And they didn't even know Huckbee was dead until they got the the warehouse.:confused: I guess it was to add to the !Drama!. And to cement his and Cath's relationship and more than likely to clear the path for her departure.

I was sort of cringing at this storyline as well. It seems straight from fanfiction. But I think it was well done. As much as I really am getting tired of the CSI/Cop in peril stories, I did love !ActionCath! She was calm, yet pissy at Jason McCann. She wasn't bitchy like she has been about killers on the loose.

The hospital scene had me going .... awwww. Like everyone said on the C/V thread. It was natural, not overly gushy or romantic. Just like them. It seems that they are wanting to be with each other. At least the 'where else would I be' line indicated that to me.

The Cath/Nicky hug also made me go awwwwww. They have become the Cath/Gil of previous seasons. The "let me take care of you" was his way of saying that she needs to do what makes her happy and he'll take care of the lab. Nicky knows that Cath and Vartann are together. I'm sure he wants her to go be with him while he takes over. Again that's what I got from their convo.

I think I'll need to watch this one again. Just to catch the details I might have missed.

For an episode I thought had way too much going on... it seemed to work well.

It seems like Ray and Haskell are the Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Moriarty of CSI.

That seems like the perfect way to describe Ray and Haskell....they just seem to complete one another in that strangely creepy intellectual way...

So, on to the warehouse. I'm still confused as to why Vartann was there in the first place? Why was he at Nicky's house? Vartann is a homicide detective. Why is he investigating a bombing. And they didn't even know Huckbee was dead until they got the the warehouse.:confused: I guess it was to add to the !Drama!. And to cement his and Cath's relationship and more than likely to clear the path for her departure.

Well....he is their designated detective.....clearly there is large amount of dramatic license being pulled here....but like in all CSI worlds, they've all got their designated detective that is "theirs", Vartann is that for the Vegas CSIs, so when things go wrong and a detective is needed.....Vartann is the go-to guy....

The Cath/Nicky hug also made me go awwwwww.

Watching that relationship grow has been my favorite part of CSI, Nicky and Catherine always has that way of making me smile! :)

Perhaps it's because I was a little tired, but I found this episode to be just so-so. Justin Bieber isn't ready for an Oscar yet, but he did okay, given he's a fifteen-year-old kid who's rocketed to fame from nowhere.

Both storylines seemed a little tired. Nate Haskell's escape was so poorly contrived! I mean, how is it that, somehow, these expeienced police officers don't understand that he's a whacko serial killer who should be in total isolation, meaning no one but guards (and at least two at a time!) ever interact with him? Unless the whole point of this particular scene is to hint that he's convinced one of his guards to "go over to the dark side," the whole escape scenario was just unrealistic; I'll bet there are a lot of real police officers out there rolling their eyes at the laxity in this fictional police force.

So, on to the warehouse. I'm still confused as to why Vartann was there in the first place? Why was he at Nicky's house?

Maybe Lou was with Catherine when she found out about the situation at Nicky's house. (insert over exaggerated wink here)

But seriously, you bring up some good points. Maybe it was because Brass was too busy playing spectator to the 9374th round between Haskell and Langston, and he sent Lou there. Or maybe Cath remembered what happened the last time she went without a cop to investigate something (Crazy Rabies Lady, take a bow): she ended up getting attacked. So, she made Lou come with her because she trusts him and they are on solid ground.

I'm so fed up with the Haskell plot. If Marg is leaving this year they should be building the series to a Catherine plot, not a Langston plot!

OK all you brilliant CSI fans how the H did Haskell escape, and who was the guy who switched with him? But more to the point, what happened to all the police force who were transporting him. They seemed to be electrocuted, how did Haskell pull that off?

They were shot.

OK, how did he pull that off, is what I meant:confused:

Ugh. You made me watch that part again. Okay, it appears that Haskell's harem wrecked a car into the minimum security van to stop it and his fiancee had the gun and did all of the shooting.

By the way, I may be in the minority here, but I am not impressed at all with Bill Irwin's acting in this episode. In the courtroom when he was "crying" about "Who's the real victim here?"...it was just laughable. Especially if we were supposed to be afraid he might convince the jury. And those Stepford vampire wives sitting there...just too over the top.

By the way, I may be in the minority here, but I am not impressed at all with Bill Irwin's acting in this episode. In the courtroom when he was "crying" about "Who's the real victim here?"...it was just laughable. Especially if we were supposed to be afraid he might convince the jury. And those Stepford vampire wives sitting there...just too over the top.

Well, Haskell is supposed to be a sociopath right? Aren't sociopaths supposed to be unable to experience emotion? At least normal, everyday emotions? So perhaps the "crying" was weird cause Haskell himself really didn't know how and that's how Irwin portrayed it. Maybe?

Could've done without the Stepford wives though...

They were shot.

OK, how did he pull that off, is what I meant:confused:

Ugh. You made me watch that part again. Okay, it appears that Haskell's harem wrecked a car into the minimum security van to stop it and his fiancee had the gun and did all of the shooting.

Sorry Smokey that you had to re-watch this,:( It just didn't make sense to me, [what part did] but I was in confusion:confused: on what happened and how Haskell pulled that off, so thank's for the explanation. I think he's good as this creepy character and plays it to the hilt. He's not right in the head, so the crying was part of his bizarrre behavior. Trivia:: I saw him [Bill Irwin] at the Kennedy Center Awards show, in the audience and he was laughing everytime they showed him. A very cheerful/happy person it seemed. It was hard to fathom he was the same guy who plays this spooky Haskell.:wtf:

I understood his "Crying" as trying to manipulate the jury into being sympathetic to him. You could see Ray trying not to roll his eyes at that. However, others in the courtroom who didn't really know how Haskell can manipulate someone so easily (including the 'Stepford Wives':lol: [love that!]) , seemed a bit moved by his display without understanding that they were being played by him.

I was totally :guffaw: at his outburst!

I understood his "Crying" as trying to manipulate the jury into being sympathetic to him. You could see Ray trying not to roll his eyes at that. However, others in the courtroom who didn't really know how Haskell can manipulate someone so easily (including the 'Stepford Wives':lol: [love that!]) , seemed a bit moved by his display without understanding that they were being played by him.

I was totally :guffaw: at his outburst!

The whole storyline was laughable. I laughed at that line, I laughed at the Brides of Haskell, I DIED when Haskell's lead fiance shot the other chick...hilarious.

Back