Supernatural

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but the production values on Supernatural seem really high. I don't think you're being ridiculous at all.

Ah, right- Dean shot the last shapeshifter. I forgot. He's so reliable... siiiiiigh.

:lol:

Anyway, I don't really have a problem with them running into the same creatures once and a while; after all, the stories become myths because there are obviously tons of each of these creatures out there. I guess I was just wondering if they're trying to say that it's the same shapeshifter as before, or they just mean, "Here's more shapeshifter problems". Am I making sense? :lol:

I guess it doesn't really matter, since I'll find out soon enough. ;) And I do promise to hold off any observations on the episode until later Friday night, since some people don't get to see it until then.

I saw the first little bit of 'The Dresden Files' too, and I was thinking the exact same thing. I was like "Whoa, this is just like Supernatural... but it's just lacking that... je ne sais quoi..."

I love when Sammy gets strangled and Dean comes to his rescue. :D I started to count how many times Sam got strangled in season one, but it turned out to be not as many as I thought. Skin, Home, Something Wicked, Hell House, Dead Man's Blood.... I think that's it, as far as I can think of off the top of my head. 5 episode... not bad. And he hasn't been strangled a single time this season! :eek: *is shocked*

"I like him. He says okie dokie" :lol: Great episode! I'll start with the ending- loved that song!! Another touch I liked was how the epi started the same way 'Skin' did with the reveal of Dean at the scene of the crime. I do have a question though...anyone know how the shapeshifter took Sherry's form without killing her? And Sam can overpower swat team members? Damn, boy's got skills!! I really liked Ronald. He was cool. Poor guy- nice moment with Dean after he was shot. ....must go watch episode again. I'm sure I'll have more to add later :D

^
^
In the season 1 episode with the shapeshifter, he didn't kill any of his victims either. Dean, Becky, and the other random guy in the episode were all alive, just unconcsious. I think he killed the guy last night because he had no use for him, but with the girl he had a plan so...

Hope that makes sense :D

When they both smacked their FBI badges on Ronald's door. They both looked so equally pissed, it was so funny :lol: And Sam's takedown of the SWAT guys, very nice! Poor guys though, they thought they had their guy them - BAM! Not so much :lol:

quickbeam, there was a running tally in the SN community last year about how many times Sam was choked and I think how many times Dean kicked down doors. I think this year it'll be everytime Sam does his puppy-dog expression or how many time Dean says "sonofabitch" :lol:

^^
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for your response! I was having a total blond moment and didn't even think back to 'Skin' in regards to that...
"hmm...(seemingly) dead guy fell out of cieling tiles and the other victims seem dead...why didn't they kill her?..."
Ah well, happens to us all :rolleyes: :lol:

Here's something I'm wondering. Do they use the real songs for this show, or just amazing covers? Because twice now, they've played songs that I actually own, and they sound ever so slightly different than the originals. The first one was "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith (in Route 666) and then again last night when they played Styx's "Renegade" at the end... the beginning, mellow part of the song didn't sound like the original.

Does anybody know the answer to this? Or perhaps more importantly, does anyone care? :lol:

^^
My guess, knowing Kripke's love for the music, is that they would use the originals (unless they couldn't get the rights). Maybe they're just alternate versions....Sorry I'm not much help.

Ok, I've got lots to say about this episode, but I've gotta really work it out and formulate my thoughts, but I'm gonna edit in the longer version later. First though I just wanna say my thoughts about the music question: I'm pretty sure they use the original version, but they do alter them slightly. It's just that since you're used to hearing it a certain way it seems way different when they cut together different parts of the song. For example, in "Renegade" they start off with the beginning part (about the first 51 seconds of the song, plust the extended "thump. thumpthump." part). Then, somewhere they seamlessly crossed over from the first chorus to the second chorus, around 1:37-1:58 (right before the big guitar solo) and then skipped to about 2:53-3:00 for the ending. And I think they may have thrown in a little extra reverb/echo into it... although that coulds just be me imagining things, or just the way that the ambient noise kinda mingles with it.

*whew* Sorry, that was long and rambly and confusing, and more than anybody cared to know. But I really liked that scene. I mean really, really liked it. A lot. And as a result I went and obsessed about it ^up there. :p Seriously, that end scene was one of my favourite moments in the entire series... and that's saying something.

All right, I’m gonna try to contain myself and make this short and avoid a full blown geek-out... but it might be tough. :p

This is probably my favourite standalone episode of the series in many respects. It’s so impossible to rank favourite episodes, because they’ve just all been so good, IMO. This series is really, really something special. *loves infinitely*

We know by now that the writing and acting is amazing. And, we know that the technical work is amazing as well, even though like many TV shows, the technical side sometimes gets overlooked and taken for granted. But in this episode, I thought the crew really knocked it out of the park. First off, the music was absolutely phenomenal. And the sound editing was fantastic as well (they’ve won awards for their sound editing, if I’m not mistaken). I absolutely loved the scene when Ronald got shot... they cut out all the sound, and then all you hear is the sniper bullet breaking through the glass, and then shooting through Ron, and then the sound of him hitting the ground. *is blown away* Also, the camerawork was really well done, too... they had a lot of handheld stuff, which really set the mood, I think. And lastly, I loved how they cut off the recap for the ‘breaking news.’ I started freaking out briefly because I thought it was gonna be some politician with some critical report about some situation or whatever. :lol:

Now, a few of my favourite parts:
-Dean has FANGIRLS!!! “He’s so brave!” and “OMG, he saved us, he saved us!” Yes! Kripke reads the fanboards. That totally had to be a shout-out to us. :D
-multiple disguises! I thought it was such a treat just to have the FBI get-ups...but it just kept getting better and better.
-“I like him. He says okie-dokie.” :lol: This gave me overwhelming deja vu for some reason. Was this line in the promo? Has Dean said that before? Why the heck does that seem SO familiar?
-the guest star who played Ron was AWESOME! :D
-Sam taking out TWO FULLY ARMED S.W.A.T. DUDES!!! ZOMG!!
-Dean’s fight with the shapeshifter... peeling the skin off and saying “Gross!” and then getting sacked... poor Dean. Also, look at the sign on the wall behind her, it says “Number of days without injury: 67.” LMAO!! :lol:

And last, but certainly not least, the end scene. You already know how I feel about that one. Seriously, absolutely loved it. *bliss*

^^^ Man, I've watched it twice now, and I missed that injury sign on the wall! I guess I'll have to go back and watch it again. That'll be a hardship, but I'll do it for artistic integrity... or something... :lol:

I had a thought the first time I watched it, but I forgot about it until I watched it again last night. That scene where Dean is chatting up that jewellery store babe (which was hilarious Dean player-ness. Loved it! :D ) and when she asks him about being an FBI agent and he mentioned that it's "lonely" and he gives her that look... I'm wondering if that wasn't a bit of foreshadowing, since that was one of the things shapeshifter Dean said to that blonde chick in the original shapeshifter episode?

Or all my CSI/Nick watching has made me look for clues even when they're not there! :lol:

One more thing I'd like to add quickly... I love how this ep makes it REALLY apparent just how GOOD the boys are... I mean, we know they're good, we've seen them kick major supernatural ass on many occasions... but when you put them against humans, in a human situation, you really see how well-trained they really are. The way they could see every flaw in Ron's plan, and the fact that even though they knew they were totally screwed, they were still resourceful enough to get out of it. The place was swarming with SWAT and FBI and cops... but none of them is as good as The Brothers Winchester. :D

And Dean's right, it's almost creepy how good of a fed Sam is. And Dean himself is crazy good too. If it wasn't for the whole "FBI's most wanted" thing, I think they could have some pretty awesome careers if they ever got out of the Hunting Evil business. :D Maybe if they get caught they can pull a Frank Abignale like on "Catch Me If You Can" and teach the feds a thing or two. :D :p

I come baring spoiler pics for 2x14 - Born Under a Bad Sign.

Right here.

This episode looks gooooood! I can't wait, I have no idea when it airs but it's definitely not soon enough.

Gah! Where have I been? :eek:

Thanks for the pics allstar. :D Looks like I'm getting my wish. :devil:

So, I know there has been a billion posts about 'Nightshifter' but I thought I'd give my review anyway, even if it's quite a few days late.

Firstly, 10 colts out of 10. Excellent episode filled with drama, suspense, humour, and everything we'd expect from a 'Supernatural' episode. I thought that the plot was very well thought up, and it kept my attention all the way through.

The re-cap at the beginning was pure genius. I loved how they showed re-caps from 'Skin' (My favorite episode, woo!) and then went to a breaking news story. Clever, clever. Lovely how the editor, writers, and producers play around with this show. Hee.

My gosh, the BUDGET they must have had. :eek: It looked like a mini movie, and it really set this episode apart from the other ones. As a stand-alone episode in a story-arc, and a continuation of a season one sweeps episode, this one went by far beyond my expectations.

The acting was tremendous. I really sympathized with Ron when he was shot. The poor guy was a crack version of Sam and Dean, and lacked all of the expertise to be anything close to a hunter, but the guy pulled on my heartstrings. :( The fact that he even tracked down the shapeshifter for them - albeit thinking it was a mandroid :lol: - moved the plot along nicely for the rest of the episode, and made Ron a very important character.

As was said, the editing for the part when he died was done beautifully with slow-mo, and zero sound except for the bullet cracking through the window. It made the scene much more intense, and so much more tragic.

A couple of things bothered me though. Sam. He was a jerk through half the episode. Usually he's the one with his teddy and innocent understanding face, but this disturbed me a little. - I know why they're setting him up to be acting this way, but it was still disturbing. It was like Dean was the understanding and sympathetic brother. He kept his cool through the entire episode, but Sammy didn't seem to be playing along very well. (Again, I know why they're setting it up that way.)

Another thing that made me think, was that this shapeshifter killed his victims before he/she took their shape. Um, so how come in season one, the shapeshifter didn't need to kill them? This new shapeshifter was much faster, so perhaps the psychic link (Vulcan mind-meld, LOL) downloaded a lot faster as well. -- Unless it was explained and I'm just rambling.

And I didn't like how this shapeshifter barely had a personality. It's only motive was to rob banks to get money? ...Um...Blah. No sympathy for this one whatsoever. In season one, I had sympathy for the first shapeshifter because his motive seemed to be to make everyone else the freak. Show what humans could do, and that they were truly the monsters.

Although, did anyone else think that when the shapeshifter!woman was stabbed with the knife, that it was a little more....Sensual? (Probably not the word I'm looking for) :lol: I don't know, I mean the way she slid her hand down Dean's face and neck as she fell looked a little...Risqué. :lol: Unless I'm just being crazy.

Anyway, the episode was excellent, the music was wonderful, and the acting was super! Can't wait for next week. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back