Stella/Melina #7 'Cause everything sounds better in Greek

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Ghawazee, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Choose New Stellarina Thread!

Poll closed Aug 10, 2009.
  1. Stella/Melina #7: 'Cause even Athene and Aphrodite worship her.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Stella/Melina #7: The perfect combination of brains, looks, and personality.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. Stella/Melina #7: a goddess came down to earth !

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Stella/Melina #7:Athene in her mortal form.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stella/Melina #7: Zeus' gift to Hollywood.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Stella/Melina#7 'Cause she is the angel that enlighten our hearts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Stella/Melina #7 'Cause everything sounds better in Greek

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Stella/Melina #7: Because she´s the Greek Goddess of Crimonology

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. Stella/Melina #7Because she´s the heart and soul of the CSI-team

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. Stella/Melina#7 Because Lady Liberty speaks in Greek!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  11. Stella/Melina#7 Because she is the light and soul of NY Lab

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Stella/kelina#7 Because we all love Rambo Stella

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. aussieturtle

aussieturtle Witness

I'll have to keep my focus in the lolly shop though, in fact I can see it now: I stumble out of the candy shop with lots of bags, and think to myself 'I forgot about something. Oh right! Melina's relatives.'

125 billion euros is Im pretty sure around 200 or 250 mil Aussie dollars, which is probably about the same amount as we are in debt to America lol. Wouldn't this affect prices on traveling to Greece too? If they are lower then perhaps more poeple would go, which would generate lots of tourism dollars I would have thought. Although I dont know much about Europe, or politics, or any of the like.

I always feel as though I'm off topic in this board, given that I havent seen a new episode of New York in a long time, and we are rediculously far behind the US with them. But I thought to make this a little relevant and bring up one of my favourite episodes that I have so far seen, being the first episode of season 4, Can You Hear Me Now? I like it, Stella is commanding and strong in that episode.

2. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Hi, aussieturtle,

Well, that´s what would happen to me: I´d buy the shop empty, but then I´d probably be too shy to approach Melina´s uncles or whoever of her relatives would be there :lol:.

Really, Australia is in debts to America with such a huge amount? Wow, that´s quite something :lol:, but still I think that Australia has a very good income and can deal with this.
    I don´t think we´ll ever get the money back from Greece, I´m afraid, but they´re our neighbours, so we´ve all got to help them.
    I don´t know how this will affect their tourism business, but it could well be that they will lower prices to make more tourists spend their holidays in Greece. Due to the riots and protests the tourism suffered in the past months, because people were scared to travel there.

No, no, you´re not off topic at all, there´s loads of episodes of the past seasons to talk about, so that´s a good idea to discuss favourite epis.
    "Can You Hear Me now" was great, I agree, bossy Stella is enjoyable.
    We currently have another re-run of S3, so last week it was "Cold Reveal", which is, of course, a special Stella-one. I liked that it brought new details of Stella´s childhood and youth and that Stella shove her tough side aside and let her foster sister go.

Take care, see ya :)

3. aussieturtle

aussieturtle Witness

I probably wouldn't approach anyway, unless Melina herself was there.

Australia is in debt to a lot of countries I think, because we have a fair amount of tourism, but not as much as we would like. And a lot of Australians don't work. So, at the risk of sounding like my year 8 history teacher, we generally don't have enough workers to improve infrastructure, and because of our low population, the government doesnt pull in much via tax, and we have huge amounts of infrastructure that need upgrading. So we generally borrow mass amounts of money to pay for our upgrades. And it stinks because what little money the government does get, it spends on capital cities, so our regional areas are desperately run down.

I like that episode, is that the one where she had the vial of Stella's blood? Or am I thinking of a different one? I'm going to be watching The Deep in the next couple of days, when I get the time lol. Its in season 4 too.

And another thing, does anyone have a link to the video of Melina on Ellen? Where she tries to teach Ellen to Greek dance, its hilarious.

4. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Well, unfortunately no-one knows when she´s going to visit her uncles again, but who knows, maybe you´re lucky.

Well, tell me one country that is not in debt to at least one other country. The world wide financial crisis made it all just worse.
    So you mean there´s enough work and jobs, but not enough people to do the jobs? And what are those Australians living from who don´t work? From welfare?
    Maybe the government should allow in more immigrants to increase the population, of course only well-educated ones who want to work there and have learnt a profession, but not those adventurers who dream of lying on the beach under the Australian sun all day :lol:.

Yes, that´s exactly that episode, with Mindy Sanchez being Stella´s blood sister and having a vial of her blood.
    Hm, "The Deep", which one was that? Sometimes I can´t remember the English titles of the episodes, so I don´t know what they were about.

Did you read the interview with Lenkov and Reiter? They assure us that there´ll still be a lot of stuff to find out about Stella in the future. Great!
    But the new timeslot for the show is less great, IMO- Fridays, 9pm, so it lost the 10 pm primetime slot, and I have some doubts if Friday night is a good time for good ratings....

So here´s the link of Melina at the Ellen show, once more Melina telling funn things about her father :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZ7czzbfRw

Good Day!

5. aussieturtle

aussieturtle Witness

It doesnt take the prospect of metting Melina to get me into a candy shop, so Im sure Ill visit anyway. And Im also trying to factor in getting to Powell where she actually lives which, if I understand correctly, is a fairly small place so I might have some luck there.

The strange thing is, Australia managed to escape the worst of the global financial crisis. Our dollar shot up, and even though our tourism industry was affected, our own citizens were going out places and spending money, so we were never officially in a recession. And yes, people do get welfare. We call them dole-bludgers. They just get money off the government which pays for rent and basic needs, so they never feel the need to get a proper job. My brother is one, but he does try and find odd jobs every now and then. We also have something called the Skilled Migrants Scheme, where almost anyone from overseas with some kind of trade experience or degree can get a working visa, and then when it runs out they can get citizenship. Its good because we get the workers, but the country is in drought as it is, we dont really get much rain, so we have water shortages and cant support a massive population. Good to see my high school comes in use after all. :D

I didnt end up watching 'The Deep' and I dont think Ive seen it before, so unfortunately I cant tell you what its about. I watched 'Help' today though, from season 5, which I also havent seen, and it was good. Its where theres a bridal sale and a woman is killed. And also, a woman who plays the guitar in the subway is killed. It was good, and Stella stands up for herself in it, but once again, she gets attacked. The writers seem to like putting her in direct danger.

New things to learn about Stella is good. Personally I would like to see her find a biological brother or sister. There was a real life show here in Australia not long ago about a guy who had been adopted as a kid, and he set out to find his family and discovered he had a brother he didnt even know about. It was heartwarming.

Friday nights might not be all bad, we have some great shows on fridays here. But isnt friday a big night for football in America? Might not be so good. Although with the digital stuff now people might record it if their out to watch later, so I dont think it will be disastrous. Personally I think the quality of the show will still affect its rating more than the timeslot.

And finally, I think I would be the happiest person in the world in Melinas family. It sounds like theres never a dull moment. That is precisely the interview I was thinking of. Ellen should be a guest on New York one day, that would be great.

Phew that one was long! And good day to you too. (Even though its night here lol)

6. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

Interview with Melina KanakaredesPosted

In the link source, there is one video interview

7. aussieturtle

aussieturtle Witness

Thanks heaps for that! Dont like her quite as much in the pink shirt though. The black suits her better. I liked the cycling through of the photo shoot, theres some really nice shirts in there. And she brought up the issue that she is the last person in her family that she takes care of, which is something I think most families can relate to, certainly my own. Shes a wonderful woman, and for a wonderful cause too. I might just design my own shirt. :D

ETA: This might be the section that someone else posted before, but on the Hanespink website there is a section on Melina, including her photos.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  8. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Hi! Well, I guess, you like sweets and chocolate, too, so I understand that such a candy shop is a big temptation anyway to enter and buy it empty, even if Melina wasn´t there, but if she was, she´d be the extra candy treat :lol:.
    So, is Powell the place in San Fernando Valley outside of LA? Because I read that she lives there with her family in a big ranch.

Well, so you were really lucky that your country wasn´t affected too much by the financial crisis, and obviuosly having your own currency did help to get through. Which again makes me wonder how we´d have coped if we still had our Deutsch Mark and were not trapped in this Euro-currency; because the Euro has dropped into nowhere due to the financial crisis and the followed by Greece-crisis. I consider myself as a European citizen, but I think every country should have kept their own currency, because with the Euro it is like if one country gets in trouble, it affects all others, while otherwise if the Greek Dinar currency had collapsed, it wouldn´t have affected us so badly and we could have helped the Greek without getting us into big debts.
    Well, I think with welfare it´s like everywhere: some are lazy and take it for granted, while others would love to work, but can´t find jobs, you´re brother is then one of the latter.
    Well, that´s a big problem to not have enough water to bear an increasing population, and I suppose due to the global warming this will rather worsen than improve.

Yes, "Help" was another good episode, like most of S5, but you´re right, the writers seem to love to put poor Stella in peril. I don´t think they´d have to do that to prove she´s a tough cookie, we know this anyway.

Finding out more about Stella could only mean she´ll find out more about her family background, IMO, either about her father or, like you suggested, about possible siblings. It´s a pity that since she found out about her mother, she didn´t mention the slightest thing about her anymore. All through S6 there was no hint of how it affected Stella emotionally, OK, except in the first few episodes, she seemed more introvert and disturbed as aftermath to the events in S5 finale. But I guess the authors will come back to that topic in one of the next seasons.

Well, I just feel it´s generally not a good sign that CBS have shifted NY to another timeslot, it means they´re not happy with the ratings of this season for a Wednesday primetime. These ratings would be obviously OK for a Friday night 9 pm slot, because they know that people go out or watch football and rather record the episodes or watch them in the internet. But it could hence also mean that NY will never again reach the old great ratings and might drift more and more into a less popular show that will end up on a bad Sunday timeslot.

Yes, there´s always some madness going on in Melina´s family, I´d love to play fly on the wall at her home :lol:. Oh, and just today might be one of the even madder days, as I think it´s the birthday of one of her daughters, Zoe, if I´m right, lol.

Thanks perl for the link, I like all of her shirts, I think the pink is a nice contrast to her dark hair. And yes, it seems in her family it´s like in all others: Mummy takes care of everyone else, but she comes last. But it´s a great idea to use her birthday as a memory to go for a check up.

So, good day or good night to you ;-)

9. aussieturtle

aussieturtle Witness

I was going to post the link to the restaurant that they owned in Ohio, but it seems my information is out of date, because it has since closed. So apparantly they sold it, which means they may well now live in California. Although I must admit I never heard this news. It would make sense though because the CSIs are filmed in LA. And there are also massive revisions in my America trip. My mothers partner told me about all these murders and how you never walk alone, even in well lit populated places, and lots of people have guns. So basically they didnt want me travelling alone at any point. It would be fine only Ohio was going to be the time between visiting one friend and another, which means I would be greyhounding alone, and they have sufficiently scared me off doing that. I dont especially want to get murdered, and the consequences of disobeying my mother may be even worse. :D So its turned into a smaller trip with less things, but still exciting. Not much chance of meeting CSI people though unfortunately.

Yeah true, we dont know about Stella's father yet. (I dont think?) But for all we know her mother could have just fallen pregnant to some guy that she didnt see again, so I never really explored that possibility overly much in my mind. I would like to see more exploration of St Basils, because from what I understand Stella's time there was bittersweet.

I agree, the new timeslot seems to only be bad news. Hopefully they can still pull in enough to keep it going, and hopefully theres enough fans to watch it in whichever timeslot it happens to fall.

And I am really tireed right about now, so I will once more bid you all good day/night, and head off to bed.

10. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

I once read that Melina´s husband owned a restaurant and still had it when they moved to LA, but not where, so if this was the one in Ohio, it´s obviously a has-been.

Oh, yeah, don´t become a CSI-case :lol:, be careful, this country surely has its dangerous corners and as a tourist travelling alone you would probably not know the good quarters from the bad ones. So better have someone with you.

Well, I hope the authors think out a credible and sensible story about Stella´s origins. We don´t know yet if her Mum was married to Stella´s Dad or if it was just an affair, maybe even a forbidden one. And what about Stella´s surname? It´s Italian, so is it the name of her father, who was Italian-originated, or did someone adopt her and did she hence not spend all of her childhood at St. Basil´s? There´s really a lot to find out.

Well, I hope S7 will be a great one, so that NY might re-gain those viewers they´ve obviously lost this season.

So, good day, or it´s more good morning for you ;-)

11. Queenie

Queenie Witness

12. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

I feel like crying too. Melina's my favourite actress. Stella's my favourite character. CSI:NY is my favourite show. Mac/Stella is my OTP. I feel like curling up into a ball and crying...

I can only imagine that most of you feel the same.

13. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Your right Axel ...we do:(

14. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Goodbye Stella, she was my favourite character, too. :(

I hope Melina will soon get new offers for TV or movies, so that we won´t have to miss her for too long.

But CSI:NY, I dunno if I´ll give it another chance; this season was very disappointing and I only held on because of Stella, she´s such a unique character, thanks to Melina who played her with such outstanding talent and ingenuity.

Thank you, Melina and all the very best to you and your family :)

15. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Goodbye Melina and thanks for all the great moments you gave us on the show!I already miss you and I want to wish you good luck with your career!