Spoiler-Free: Be Aware of Spoilers in These Places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Att: Non-Spoiled: AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!

I'm game for a non-spoiled discussion thread. We'd have to establish, though, how non-spoiled. For example, Adzix even avoids CBS promos for the show - she wants to know absolutely NOTHING going in. Are we taking it to that extreme? I wouldn't mind, personally. If the mods are going to go to the trouble of making a non-spoiled thread, we might as well go all the way with it.

CURRENT LIST:

1) CBS's CSI Wiki (spoilers out in the open)
2) CBS message board (spoilers put in names of threads)
3) The "spoiler" sections of CSI forums (spoilers typically given in great detail)
4) Geekfiction - the LJ community (icons using spoiler pics)
5) IMDB/Internet Movie Database (spoilers out in the open)

We'd have to establish, though, how non-spoiled. For example, Adzix even avoids CBS promos for the show - she wants to know absolutely NOTHING going in. Are we taking it to that extreme?

Well, as much as I would like to have a place that accommodated to every SF person out there, if we couldn't discuss the promos and knew nothing about the episode, what would we have to discuss? Most of the SF people I know only go as far as watching the promos, but no farther than that. Actually, I think Azdix is the only one I know of that doesn't (VERY honorable I think, I would never be able to stick to that! lol)

I said before, since I've been spoiled enough, I'm going to attempt avoiding the promos from here on out. I doubt I'll actually go through with it, but it is worth a try.

Okay but they have a small point, umm how about allowing to use for discussion points.

-Tv Guide Discriptions (that part when you look up the night its one and it says something like "Girl from a university goes missing")

-The Futon Critic: This is what we use in the ep discussion threads, (example: "Big shots", Greg is forced to again contend with the hostile mother and brother of the hoodlum he killed in self-defense several months ago when the CSI team discovers that the brother is involved in a new murder case.)

Tv Commericals: Yes or no?

So you don't want to have promo's, first run details (from CSIfiles news), Scripts, casting sides, gossip/spoilers from other sites, did I miss anything?

Some of those reveal too much though, like the episode descriptions, but it isn't my call on this one. A little spoilers is better then a lot I guess.

I also don't know anyone else who takes their spoilerfree-ness to the extent i do. i wouldn't mind if y'all created a thread where you can talk about promos and yours expectations and predictions basing on what you know. i wouldn't participate in it, but i think there is nobody else besides me who wouldn't. y'all would have to make it VERY clear to people that this is a s-f thread cuz there is a high risk that one newbie or another will come and spoil all of you, not on purpose of course.

so maybe it should be named:

"Season 7 Spoiler-FREE Lab"
"Season 7 Discussion ONLY for Spoiler-FREE"
"Season 7 Spoiler-FREE Discussion"

or something similar.

Ya all three of those would work. I think right now I am going to go find the "Loco Motives" thread and find out who ruined the Mini Killer not ending storyline for me.

I said before, since I've been spoiled enough, I'm going to attempt avoiding the promos from here on out. I doubt I'll actually go through with it, but it is worth a try.

Well I guess we'll have to get opinions from different SF people who want a SF discussion thread and decide how to run it by that... but, thinking realistically, I doubt it would get very far without discussing promos too. It would be nice, but like Destiny said its impossible to keep out EVERY spoiler, and it would be even more impossible to keep out promo information too.

I still have one question, if you want to discuss an ep for instance like "Big shots" as an example, how do you discuss it without knowing a little about it, and if you find out a little about it, where do you learn it? but if you don't learn about it, goes back to how do you discuss it?

This is why I brought up the three options, to use personally the futon critic has the least spoilerish of them all. Its a general descript of the episode without indepth detail (as I showed above).

Again as I stated I can NOT guarentee a spoiler wouldn't slip in, that would be like me guarenteeing a perfect world.

Before naming, might want to get a general idea of how you're going to get a discussion. We will keep the names in mind. ;)

Thats what I was wondering too. Because some people think of promos as spoilers, but if we couldn't discuss the promos at least, we would have nothing to discuss. I was thinking we could have a place to talk about the promos and what we think will happen without having other spoilers out in the open (or at least, less of a chance)... like in the "big shots" thread, they discussed the promos, but they also talked about the bad news Grissom had for Greg, which wasn't in any of the promos... plus in those discussion threads, they sneak in stuff about later episodes and the finale, which is something I really dont want to be spoiled about...

I dont read anything online about upcoming eps, but like Azdix said, being spoiled a little is better than a lot, and reading about what the episode will be about is different than reading about every little detail thats going to happen.

Re: Places to find spoilers

Maybe the problem is what people are thinking about when we say the phrase "discussion thread." If the discussion thread is for discussing upcoming episodes, then yeah, we'd need some kind of description to go by. However, if the discussion thread is for discussing aired episodes and only speculating on upcoming episodes, then we can do that without any outside information whatsoever.

Personally, I would go for the latter thread and keep any kind of information like that out of the thread as much as possible. But if that's not possible, then next I'd go for Destiny's suggestions as being middle ground.

I would leave out the promos, however. TPTB of CSI do not create promos - CBS does. And, as it would be for any for-profit organization, the purpose of them making those promos is to get you to watch the episode. Therefore, they have absolutely no problem spilling major plot points in order to make that happen, and there's been quite a few episodes where a surprise I'd have enjoyed is ruined by a promo that reveals it. So I would leave out promos, "sneak-peek" excerpts from the episode... basically, anything that can, theoretically, be watched on YouTube.

If it's a printed description... well, these are meant to sell the episode as well, and I've seen plot points spilled in even the briefest TV Guide descriptions. But if the general consensus is that we have to have something to go by, then personally I would restrict foreknowledge of upcoming episodes to brief printed descriptions like on TV Guide and Futon Critic. Anyway, that's my opinion.

CURRENT LIST:

1) CBS's CSI Wiki (spoilers out in the open)
2) CBS message board (spoilers put in names of threads)
3) The "spoiler" sections of CSI forums (spoilers typically given in great detail)
4) Geekfiction - the LJ community (icons using spoiler pics)
5) IMDB/Internet Movie Database (spoilers out in the open)

ETA: To deal with questions regarding spoilers and when, where, how to post them, I've started a "Tips for Posting Spoilers in Non-Spoiler Threads" in the Questions, Suggestions, and Feedback part of the board. You can find the thread here - so if you, the non-spoiled, have any comments or tips about how spoiled posters can post spoiler boxes without giving you accidental hints about future episodes, please feel free to leave them on that thread. :)

^Whilst I'm sure it's useful, I thought Destiny didn't like any spoilers in non spoiler threads? ;)

To weigh in a little on your discussion. To have a thread for discussing aired episodes and what you think might happen, would simply be a season 7 discussion thread with some random speculation about what in these previous episodes might be mentioned again in the future, because any thing else would be purely wild speculation unless you have the mild spoilers as Destiny suggests? I wonder if there may also end up being a slight 'fan fiction' element to it? It also reminds me a bit of the thread last used in March entitled Possible Things I think Will Happen *spoilers possible* The spoilers presumably being that someone may mention something which later happens to come true. ;)

As there is also episode discussion threads containing spoilers I imagine that some people may get confused between what can and can't be discussed as often we all read even small points that we don't realise would be considered spoilers, and that others will get annoyed if a poster does bring in something that is then found to be a spoiler following the airing of the episode.

Anyway, I hope it works out for all the non spoiled, I wish you the best, good luck with it and apologies for what are simply my notes of caution for you. :)

One last note, spare a thought for those of us who have no choice but be fully spoiled despite the fact that these episodes won't even air for us for at least a couple of months. :(

Elsie One last note, spare a thought for those of us who have no choice but be fully spoiled despite the fact that these episodes won't even air for us for at least a couple of months.

Oh yes, Elsie, that must be difficult. I know that fans from the U.K. and from Aussie/N.Z. have their own separate discussion threads that the die-hard unspoiled can use, which discusses episodes as they air in those countries rather than at the same pace as the U.S. ones.

Maybe when the new Talk CSI board is created, they could consider having a "World Discussion" section with general discussion threads for each country that Talk CSI fans hail from, or something. :)

^^^ well, you see many of the countries that CSI is aired in have their own boards. there is a Polish board, French board, a separate British one as far as i know, a Spanish one and many more. this one is mostly American but it's the "biggest", the best updated from all of them and discussion is held in English, so it's considered as for everybody.

That would be the techs decision but I have seen the new forum, and not much different then it is here so I wouldn't look for too many changes in how the board is done for a while. Course that is dependant upon when the move will take place. ;)

Now as to this thread I will let you all hash it out a while longer, My questions (generally all of them since the agreement of Discussion thread) still stand if folks need to go back looking for them. We will listen to what you have to say and then see if a compromise can be worked out.

Hash out things among yourselves such as what you don't want and what you would compromise on, regarding the discussion thread. From there Tally and I will figure away to handle this. We will use this as a discussion thread on the new thread and for what it is for. Also when we get to the point of a new discussion thread, a new thread for this type of thing will also be redone, so there is no interference. ;)

Now lets get it hashed out before I feel any older then the 33 yrs I am. (damn I already do, oh well try it anyway). :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back