Speed/Rory #14: Speedism Preservation Society

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mind Season 3 and 4 and I found it watchable but no one in the show anymore to make me feel excited whislt watching it :-(

We got 2 Miami re runs on 2 different cable channels here tonight in the UK Blood Moon @ 9pm and Body Count @ 10pm, Good Speedy episode with Bloodmoon, but its clashing with Celebrity Big Brother haha....oh how sad...my Friday evening is ruled by the Television schedule lol

I have that Hurricane Anthony picture as my wallpaper on my phone, It is PURE LOVE

Geni, that is a great line. I love it too. I also happen to love Nirvana ;)
I think the line you're thinking of from the beginning of JOK is 'We're working on the murder scene. You asked for the girl?'

Calleighspeedle, I believe that line is actually from Losing Face, but it's still a good one.

Thanks for your input Luce :) and I'm lovin' all the lines you guys are coming up with :D though I think the lack of them from some season 1 episodes supports our view that Speed was too under-used in the first season :(

Well, I survived Lost Son...got through a few tissues, I have to say. *sniffle*. Man, it was so sad :( I think the funeral at the end was the worst bit for me. Yes, I cried when Speed died at the scene, and then again when Alexx was doing his autopsy, but seeing the team upset at the funeral service, and the slow-motion shots really overwhelmed me. I'm glad it wasn't *too* dragged out at the end, because I think if the final scene had gone on for a couple of seconds longer, I would have had some sort of breakdown :eek:

I can see why Rory didn't like the way he was written out, and I think the scene in the jewellers where he dies completely sucked for two reasons:

1) Speed already got shot once in Dispo Day because he didn't clean his gun. Now for goodness sake, I actually find it kind of insulting to Speed's character that he should die by getting shot because again he didn't clean his gun properly. Speed is obviously above average intellingence, and I don't think he would be so ignorant as to not be more careful with maintaining his gun after what happened in Dispo Day, especially since Horatio also gave him a gun-cleaning kit at the end of that episode.

2) Again, with regard to Speed's intelligence, and perhaps more his training as well: if his gun misfired in that sort of situation (where he's being directly fired at), surely he would have the sense or the instinct to duck down out of the line of fire whilst he looks at his gun. It just seemed so daft the way he stood there right in the line of fire and took his eyes off the shooter to check his gun. :eek: *shakes head*

Well, those are just my opinions, but I really think that if TPTB couldn't come up with a better way to write Speed out (which I'm sure they could have - they're supposed to be creative after all), they could have at least written that scene better so it wasn't so kind of "Speed's fault" in terms of not cleaning his gun and/or ducking out the way.

I respect Rory's decision to leave the show at that point, because I read in the interview that he wasn't happy with the filming schedule etc., but it would have been really nice to see him die in a more original and heroic manner, such as when we witness him helping get people out of the club in Tinderbox. Basically, just something that would be more of a credit to his memory, so that when we thought of his exit, we can look on it a little more reasonably, because his death would be a reminder of how great his character was, rather than "that horrible episode where he got shot because he didn't clean his gun...again" :rolleyes:

Oh well...I'm just going to be glad that Speed's character existed at all and that I have my S1 and 2 dvds to re-live fond memories of him :)

You make excellent points, Wibble. I've always felt that Speed's manner of death was insulting. Insulting to the character, the actor, and the fans. It also really bothers me that Rory said he would come back and do a guest spot sometime, but still they insisted on killing him. They couldn't even give us that little bit. I don't think the writers realize just how loved Speed was/is.

eta:
Ashes to Ashes speedism: I got a priest shot with a rifle dead in a church
and: It's at least a draw. You're not going to beat me with a burned-out car.

Something Wibble said, brought a thought to my attention.

Am I the only one that feels something missing? I mean, just the way he died was so horribly written, but also, the fact that he died for pretty much no reason really pisses me off. The point I'm trying to get at is that we have no closure. You get emotionally attatched to a character, and then to kill him off so coldly like they did really makes me want to rant to every single one of the writers. I feel bad for Corey cause I kinda took it out on him, I had to apologize for it later. I need to write him again, I have a few questions. Anyway, I think that if Speed had died in a more noble way, I would be content right now, but the fact that he's now dead and was shot just out of dumb luck for the shooter, just makes me want to lash out on the writers. It's just not fair to the viewers who loved him as much as we did. I think they owe us something, I mean, we're sitting here with our thumbs up our asses waiting for some CONTINUITY which the writers seem to have a problem with. Like DragonflyDreamer's banner says: SPEED FOREVER! *raises fist* *goes back into lurking*

*pulls Jess out of lurking* Come on girl, you make good points. Take off your coat and stay awhile. ;)

I agree with what you've said. His character died for no reason. Those 'security' men were barely part of the episode. It seems the writers took the easiest way out to get rid of him fast, and then solve the 'case'. Even in the audio commentary, Liz Divine said they wanted to kill Speedle off, but they didn't want to make the episode about him.

Um, hello Speedle had fans. Those fans expected something. Hell, even an entire scene devoted to the team's feelings regarding his death. We got 30 seconds of it with Calleigh and Horatio in the locker room. And it turned out to be a rather tender moment between the two CSIs. Eric didn't react at all, and then the reprecussions and absolutely contrived storylines for him appeared later on.

Spoiler for those who haven't seen season three

Come on, we weren't asking for the entire episode to be about him, but maybe a mention in the next episode? Pro-Per had to be one of the most disappointing episodes for the Speed fans. (In my observation) No continuity. Their team-mate dies, and the next week everyone is back to work and okay? Um. No. And the part that really infuriated me is they seemed to subtly throw it in our faces when Calleigh says "The guy thinks he's Johnny Cochrane." Um, yeah nice way to slide it in there.

Like Jess said, if Speed had died in a more noble way, perhaps we wouldn't feel so...Left out of the series. The Speed fans kind of got pushed to the sidelines during season three to make way for Horatio's story arc. (Not saying it's a bad thing, but there could have been a lot more done to accomodate the fans that just wasted their invested time watching seasons 1 and 2. Why bother making two whole seasons that seemed to have been forgotten?)

I also thought that in season three when they had cases revised because Speedle had worked on them just cheapened Speed. They're making him look like an incompetant CSI now? Wow great job in continuity. I always knew Speed was an irresponsible slob with no work ethic. :rolleyes:

And they used his notes? Um...When was the last time we saw Speed even taking notes? (Besides C-J) Um...Okay so let me get this straight. He took the notes, put them in a folder, didn't bother checking into the evidence, didn't have any of the technology to solve the cases, and then...Gave up?

Come on. There were cellphones at least when he started working as a CSI right? OH wait, he was 19 when they were invented. Boy time flies.

I'm sure they had sufficient technology otherwise the rest of the team would have the same trouble solving cases. (This is in reference to 'Whacked' season three - when they had to revise a case because apparently they didn't have a nifty piece of technology that could detect cobalt..Give me a break.)

*sigh* I'm not even going to get into the fact that Valera said she got notes from Speed FIVE years ago. Um, Valera showed up in the beginning of season two. I was right, time DOES fly and yet none of them have aged.

Mergh. Lack of continuity makes me want to puke.

[/rant that made no sense]

*de-lurks* I totally agree...seriously, you can't just have a main character that you kill off in the middle fo the episode (and episode tha isn't even about him) and then never mention it again, it's just not right...*slaps TPTB* I mean, he was at the very lease, a good friend to everyone and then he goes and dies in his boss' arms, and it gets mention by someone crying a 10 second funeral scene. Every other show I've seen that a main character dies, it's usually the focus of the episode, and it at least gets mentioned throughtout the season, and you get to see reactions from the other characters, and I guarantee you, its more in one episode than we got in the entire season...GAH! I can rant about this forever! It was just so cold of them...and then, the one mention we get is because he screwed up...STOP FLOGGING A DEAD HORSE!...so to speak. Gah!...
[/rant]

and yes, I AM going to watch Harts War soon...

*goes back into lurking*

wibble said:
2) Again, with regard to Speed's intelligence, and perhaps more his training as well: if his gun misfired in that sort of situation (where he's being directly fired at), surely he would have the sense or the instinct to duck down out of the line of fire whilst he looks at his gun. It just seemed so daft the way he stood there right in the line of fire and took his eyes off the shooter to check his gun. :eek: *shakes head*

Well, those are just my opinions, but I really think that if TPTB couldn't come up with a better way to write Speed out (which I'm sure they could have - they're supposed to be creative after all), they could have at least written that scene better so it wasn't so kind of "Speed's fault" in terms of not cleaning his gun and/or ducking out the way...Oh well...I'm just going to be glad that Speed's character existed at all and that I have my S1 and 2 dvds to re-live fond memories of him :)

Everyone's made some excellent points, and I won't say too much because I'll be reiterating everything. But yes, I hate how tptb discredited Speed as a character by making him die in a such a tarnished manner! I mean, in the end, the character has a badge for a reason. Would it be too much for him to have died in an honorable way? It didn't have to be anything flamboyant...but something that could've shown how much the character meant overall, especially to the fans and the Rory himself.

I will admit that everytime I watch Lost Son, I yell for him to run the other way. In the dream I just had, I told him to duck.

But yes, at least we have 49 episodes to re-live Speedle goodness. And that's all that matters imo. Memories...of the way he was...

Oh and btw, thanks for all the lovely pics everyone. They made my happy Friday even happier!

Oops, what did I start in here by watching Lost Son? :lol:

Amyways, you all make great points following my last post, and I agree with you all about Speed's death. Most of you have beaten me to what was going to write in my post now, lol.

I think I was expecting the whole episode to be about Speed, and...it wasn't. I'm sad that Speed is gone, but I'm more annoyed about the way he was written out. You know what? the writers for the show are probably on a pretty good salary and have good qualifications/writing experience, etc., yet even *I* could've come up with a better-written and more original way of writing out Speed. :rolleyes:

And Jess, I totally feel the same - if Speed had died a more noble death, I would also be content. But no...it just seems to me that the writers thought "right, we need to kill Speed, so we'll just have him shot by these random, unimportant blokes and allow X amount of air-time for his death". I seriously start to think the writers did not appreciate Rory, or the character he portrayed, which ummm they were responsible for creating and writing in the first place :rolleyes:

I wonder if TPTB really didn't mind letting Rory leave his contract after all, and were actually not happy about it, so they stuck the knife in by writing him a lame death in a "that's ok, we don't need you anyway" manner?

Sorry, that probably sounds like an awful thing to say :eek: but I do wonder what really goes on behind the scenes sometimes and if the fans are always told the truth.

ETA: Does anyone know if the writers read this forum?

I think TPTB thought that because they were letting Rory out of his contract and let him get his own way by leaving the show as soon as he did that they didn't feel obligied to give him an honorable send off. Thats the only explaniation I can think of, TPTB wanted to show that they run the show, they are the ones that says what goes, sure they're going to piss off a few Speedle fans but its a small price to pay.

I dunno maybe I'm a little synical but....thats me :lol:

Wibble said:ETA: Does anyone know if the writers read this forum?

I think if the writers read the forum the show would be a whole lot better than it is. I mean, heaven FORBID if they ever wrote something the fans actually want to see. I don't think all of them realize that if they do what the viewers want to see, they would like the show a whole lot more and we wouldn't be talking smack about them. However, TPTB sometimes feels the need to say **** you we don't need you to succeed, yet when they killed off Speed, ratings skyrocketed.....hmmmm what would you have done without him I wonder? *rolls eyes*

wibble, I only *wish* that the writers would read this forum! But seriously, I have no idea.

Every other show I've seen that a main character dies, it's usually the focus of the episode, and it at least gets mentioned throughtout the season, and you get to see reactions from the other characters, and I guarantee you, its more in one episode than we got in the entire season...GAH!
Let's take CSI: NY for example. Vanessa Ferlito quit. They didn't kill her off right away. Over the span of two (not one, two) episodes, they showed her dealing with an unsolvable case, and how much it was getting to her. They showed that she considered tampering with evidence, but couldn't go through with it. She almost got fired, but really sort of resigned. THEN they allowed the actress to come back and do another episode later on. She died in that episode to bring a criminal to justice. She was the main focus of the episode. Oh, and at the end, they toasted to a good friend. I felt that the writers did very well with that situation.
And what do we get? Shot by someone of no real importance to the plot, and minimal mourning. Yeah, that's fair.

Hi There.....guessin most you won't remember me but I used to come on here my screen name was RIP_Speed...I can only apologise for my absence....I had a degree to finish and then various other things but I kept the faith with Speed and looking forward to enjoying the chat again

For Christmas I got 2nd half of season 1 on dvd (we can only get half series box sets in uk-stupid or what??) anyways I forgot what an amazing speedle eppy Grave Young Men is....he is so sweet and yet so clever-classic speedle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back