Season 7 Spoiler Discussion part 2 - Fighting Crime In Gotham

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

2. Sarah

Sarah Victim

This is it, crime stoppers, CSI: New York's final two episodes of the season (fingers crossed) start on Friday. So we went to the show's star, Gary Sinise, and got all the details for you.
    This week concludes the two episode arc with Mac's former partner played by Peter Fonda and with it brings action aplenty: a vicious lab attack, car wreck and a shoot-out. Plus, we have scoop on the emotional season-ender that has Mac questioning his future.
    What could make Mac Taylor walk out on his lab family? Who has a target on their back? What's really behind the Mac-Jo flirtation? Here's what we learned:
    Vote in Save One Show 2011: Which Series Will Prevail?

Q&A With CSI: New York Star Gary Sinise

What can we expect in this season's penultimate episode?
    This week is a powerful episode that really has a lot of high-tension drama, there's a lot of destruction. Somebody's after us, he's out for vengeance and he's not going to stop until he makes sure both Peter Fonda's character and my character have paid the price. He's after us to kill us. We have to try to prevent that from happening. This week is action packed. It's a high-tension, action packed episode that starts at a very high level and goes higher.

Some of that action puts the team members in danger when the lab is attacked.
    Lindsay (Anna Belknap) is pinned down, and Mac rescues her and gets her out of there at great personal sacrifice. He just runs into the hail of bullets and tries to pull her out of there. He could easily stay where he is, behind the desk, but he doesn't even think twice about it. That's what certain people do, they're just put to the test, we hear it all the time with Medal of Honor recipients. He sees a need that needs to be met and he goes to do it. Not everyone has that kind of quality.

Mac and his former partner, William Hunt, have very different law enforcement styles, but will reconnecting with his old partner affect Mac emotionally?
    I think so. He has found out some things through the course of this two episode arc that were really shocking to him. So there's some good mystery as to what happened in the past, these two characters are tied together from a past life, when they were partners. Fonda's character has been out of the picture for a while. Him coming back into Mac's life, where they don't really see each other very often, and having it be in this dramatic fashion puts Mac's patience to the test.

Let's talk about the finale, what events lead Mac to question his future in the crime lab?
    There's something very scary that happens to him in beginning of the episode that drives all the action in a very specific kind of way. Mac's really put to the test and he starts evaluating a lot of things in his life. When we first started the series there was a pile of unsolved cases on his desk and here in the season finale there is one left. Through the course of event it makes him really go back and revisit this particular case and want to find closure to that one. We end up down in South Carolina, I believe. We're tracking somebody and they're taking us on this journey all over the country. That pulls us out of New York in a very emotional conclusion to that particular episode. He's going to be questioning a lot of things in our season finale.

Do you think at this point Mac is still happy in his job?
    At the end of this season he's evaluating a lot of things that are going on inside of him. A lot of feelings, a lot of unanswered questions and questions coming up that he never thought about much. And personal happiness is one of those things. Like so many police officers and people in those positions, at a certain time, when you've seen a lot of death and you've seen a lot of despair and you've seen a lot of ugly things in your life, you might come to a certain point where you wonder how much more you can take.

He's really built a family with his team, would that make it difficult for him to walk away from the crime lab?
    That's his family absolutely. It might [affect his decision], sure. He's not married, he doesn't have kids and he's dedicated to his job. Like anybody in a leadership position like that, in public service, you want to know that you are contributing. I don't think he's at the point where doesn't think he's effective, he knows he's effective. I just think at the end of this particular episode he has a couple of questions in his head maybe we'll get a chance next year to find out where those go.

In the finale will we see emotional moments from the other members of the team?
    Yeah. It's the end of the season so everybody is moving on with their lives. A lot of them are just going on as usual. Mac's a little bit different and Jo (Sela Ward) recognizes that something's going on with him. They have a very nice relationship that they've developed over the course of the season. There are some very good scenes between Jo and Mac in the finale.

Do you think there is something deeper to their relationship or is the flirtation part of Jo's character?
    No, I think that's who she is. She plays mind tricks with all kinds of folks. [Laughs.] She's coming from the FBI, as an investigator, so she's used to tricking people and she'll do whatever she can. With Mac she's let her hair down. She's let herself show her vulnerability because she trusts him so much. They proved to become colleagues, friends, she respects him as a boss, he respects her as a senior member of his team and they've developed a very nice relationship through the course of the season.

What has been your favorite part of Mac's growth throughout the series?
    That's such an interesting question because I've always wanted Mac to be representative of so many of the great public servants that I know out there. Either firefighters or police officers or military leaders, I have a lot of friends in all those areas who are really really good at their jobs. Over the years I've met more outstanding people that are serving our country and serving their cities in very distinguished ways and I've always wanted Mac to be representative of so many great people I've met. I think that part of the character has deepened as time has gone on. He's just a high integrity, honorable public servant and we have a lot of those folks out there. They're family men, they go to church, they do jobs on a daily basis that are just a very significant part of their lives. And that's who Mac is.

With CSI: New York on the bubble for renewal, has the network given any indication about the show's renewal chances?
    Everybody I talk to says they love the show. [Laughs.] That's all, that's all I know, they love the show. So let's hope they love it enough to keep it on the air. I'd like to keep doing it.

via E! Online

3. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

Thanks Sarah and Nel2h!

Huntvision

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

Wow. $30,000 for glass? They should have just CGI'd it in... Seems like a waste of money, really, the less money the show spends the more likely it is to be renewed.

5. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

6. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

^Wow, you know your stuff! This is very impressive and interesting!

I'd LOVE to see Danny be a Sgt. Detective and work on the street as opposed to in the lab. It would separate him from Lindsay, who tends to bring out his whiny, attention-seeking, immature, emotional side (and vice versa) allowing more room for the characters to develop individually. There could be the chance for seeing more of Danny on the street as well which is interesting.
    I think I would like Danny more if he was in that kind of position, because when I have seen scenes with him doing 'street detective' kind of stuff, especially with Flack, I've enjoyed them more than scenes with him in the lab doing science-y stuff (because that almost always inevitably means he's doing said science-y stuff with Lindsay). Plus the last couple of episodes I have seen here (we just had ep 18 last night) Danny seems to be being quite buddy-buddy with Adam and trying to be the 'lab joker' along with Adam. I personally think that's Adam's role and should be Adam's role alone, because what's so funny with Adam is a lot of the time he's not out-and-out trying to be funny, he's just being geeky, weird Adam, whereas with Danny it just seems like he's messing around. Take that scene with the ageing thing in ep 18, Adam was much, much funnier in that scene than Danny and Lindsay, who just seemed annoying. The thing is, I think, Danny's not as funny as he thinks he is, whereas with Adam and also with Flack, they are very,and naturally, funny, Adam especially so because a lot of the time it's sort of unintentional. Danny's humour comes across better via his banter with Flack, which often occurs when they are working out on the street together. So I wouldn't mind at all Danny moving out of the lab.

Whatever, if there is a season 8, Danny and Lindsay really need to be separated more. There is no need to have them work together all the time. They actually both become more likeable characters, and work better, with other members of the team, i.e. Lindsay and Mac, Lindsay and Jo, Danny and Flack, even Lindsay and Flack. I'm getting tired of 'DannyLindsay', I prefer 'Danny' and 'Lindsay'. It's quite hard to remember in some eps that they are actually separate people.

I don't think that Danny becoming a Sgt will mean he automatically becomes all responsible and mature, because he's always been emotional and reckless and somewhat immature. It's just that Lindsay brings those elements of his character out in a more extreme way, which is not good.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Agreed. I like the ship myself, but it's getting annoying that they're always together. I liked the last ep for that...they were actually working apart for once.

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

FRINGE (airing against CSI: NY) was renewed by FOX even with horrible ratings. Some said it's because the executives love the show. I too hope CBS loves NY that way!

Wow, they spent $30,000 on glass? Maybe they shot that scene several times.

9. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

10. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Man, I've been trying to pop in here for days, let alone comment of the last ep :lol:.

Nice to see a new assortment of articles and promos etc.

Trust me when I tell you that shows spend far more cash on far more ridiculous things :p. I can also only imagine that CGI-ing someone crashing thru a shattered window would be harder than it looks, time consuming given you'd need the footage to do so, and not necessarily cheap in it's own right. But who knows. I expect timing would be the key thing in this scenario, especially wanting to wrap the season substantially earlier this year.

With all the process shots seen (ie. people talking in cars etc), they already are cutting back in a lot of ways. Perhaps if they can trim enough, it will help NY remain viable as an older and therefore presumably more expensive show. Worth the money, IMO :p.

Glad Gary would be interested in doing another season should it be given the opportunity.

What a game this all is. Upfronts, bleh :lol:. CBS you bastards :p.

Fringe is a whole other kettle of fish, and while the intangibles of who loves the show may have played an unexpected part in its renewal, I suspect there was far, far more to it. Especially with the announcement made so early on in that case.

As far as the glass, I'm sure NY would have wanted to shoot that as few times as possible :lol:. I'm just glad they did spend the cash on that and on the car crash etc. It looked great.

Thanks for all the tidbits y'all :)

11. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I think that we Friday last from CSI NY become to see. I find this very bad. Gary will do a film again. " Human Factor " It is not enough time for Gary, CSI NY, Human Factor and Lt. Dan Band etc.:confused::confused::confused:

12. TheChaoticBox

TheChaoticBox Rookie

13. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

It either has something to do with Mac's last case of the missing girl or it has something to do with Lindsay and Danny reevaluating things after the gunfire at the lab.

This was posted on FB as well and the responses have me loling. Most think she is going to be kidnapped, but some think Shane Casey and/or Rikki Sandoval will be the kidnappers. :guffaw:

Considering this show can serve as a series finale if need be I highly doubt they'd go the kidnapping route.

P.S. That is an adorable picture.

15. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Maybe those FB commenters were just being sarcastic? NY was once obssessed with bringing back old characters or having cheesy/soapy story lines. But it's funny they thought Rikki as a kidnapper! Hahaha!

Nice, Lucy is still around 2 years old. Not bad continuity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.