Season 10 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
and if they do make him supervisor i will STOP watching csi PERIOD

So will I. Greg and Sara both as well as Nick outrank him and it would be wrong of them to let him leapfrog over all of them to become supervisor. I highly doubt they'd do that though. They'd lose too many viewers and the show is already struggling as it is. If they'd wanted him to be supervisor, they would have brought him in that way to begin with. They can't expect people to just accept that he's a CSI 2 suddenly promoted past other CSIs to supervisor. It would be illogical and a huge mistake because their ratings would really suffer. Plus, we're getting someone from Numbers joining the show-running team and if Numbers is anything to go by, it was usually pretty fair with its team members. No one leapfrogging over anyone else and that kind of bull. Hopefully McGill will be good for the show.

Press release for Doctor Who.

Says it's a 2-part season finale and I think this one is ep #22 so (hopefully) that means we'll see both this season. Also says it's a former colleague who accuses Langston as being part of the Dr. Jekyll murders.

------------

04.26.2010 THE CSI TEAM'S ALLEGIANCES ARE TESTED WHEN LANGSTON IS IDENTIFIED AS A POSSIBLE SUSPECT IN THE DR. JEKYLL MURDER INVESTIGATION, ON "CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION," THURSDAY, MAY 13
Bill Irwin ("Rachel Getting Married") Returns As Nate Haskell,

The Infamous "Dick and Jane" Killer

Part One of a Two-Part Season Finale

"Doctor Who" - The CSI team must investigate one of their own when Langston is accused by a former colleague of being part of the Dr. Jekyll murders, on part one of a two-part season finale of CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION, Thursday, May 13 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Bill Irwin ("Rachel Getting Married") returns as Nate Haskell, the infamous "Dick and Jane" killer, who may have valuable information about the case.

SERIES REGULARS:

Dr. Raymond Langston...... Laurence Fishburne
Catherine Willows.............. Marg Helgenberger
Nick Stokes................................ George Eads
Captain Jim Brass....................... Paul Guilfoyle
Greg Sanders.............................. Eric Szmanda
Dr. Robbins......................... Robert David Hall
David Phillips............................. David Berman
Hodges................................ Wallace Langham
Wendy Simms................................. Liz Vassey

RECURRING CAST:

Sara Sidle......................................... Jorja Fox

GUEST CAST:

Conrad Ecklie................................ Marc Vann
Archie Johnson.............................. Archie Kao
Officer Mitchell.......................... Larry Mitchell
Nate Haskell...................................... Bill Irwin
Vince Grady..................................... Jeff Perry
Lou Brennan.............................. David Boswell
Heidi Custer............................... Monet Mazur
Female Clerk....................... Susan Rhea Lynch
Aaron Custer................................ Scott Cohen

WRITTEN BY: Tom Mularz

DIRECTED BY: Jeffrey Hunt

I think TPTB will select him, so if many are going to stop watching that's a shame:( I don't think they renewed his contract to let him be a lowly CSI-2, but maybe he'll turn it down. The pecking order doesn't seem to a strong issue with anyone, I think however he'd be fantastic, whether he's been on CSI a month or 10 years, and that's the reason I would be watching. Cath does have the experience, but I would pick Nick, he's a great leader and has been around since the onset but, beings it's a possiblity that Marg will be herself leaving, Nick to me, would be a great supervisor . Time will tell~And as for the ratings, it's still bringing in 13-15 million viewers per week~

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Nick will be supervisor when Catherine leaves. Ray is smart, but I don't see him having any real leadership qualities, whereas Nick clearly does and has been portrayed as a co-leader all season (like Catherine was with Grissom). Besides, Ray going from a suspect to a supervisor seems like a real stretch, even for CSI. :)
But, they do need some females. So I hope Sara stays on, and then they can finally put Wendy in the field. A team of Sara and Greg (level III), Ray (level II), and Wendy (level I) seems like a good balance, and it shouldn't ruffle too many feathers. I would like to see a recurring character, maybe a new director of the lab, that could come in every now and then to add some conflict and energy to the show.

I'm looking forward to 'Doctor Who'. (Love the title!) The Dr. Jekyll case will probably be solved in the finale, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still leave us with a 'CSI's life hangs in the balance' type of ending.

If Ray is made the supervisor than I too would stop watching. As much as I enjoy Nick, Greg and Brass (this is assuming Catherine leaves and Sara doesn't stick around), I really wouldn't be able to stomach Ray becoming supervisor. Yes, he is the lead - but that doesn't mean he has to be supervisor. There are plenty of shows and other venues where the lead character isn't the guy in charge.

Plus, it would be an insult to the other actors and the fans. And it would be completely unbelievable within the show for a relative newbie (he's only been a CSI for over a year) to surpass the assistant supervisor who has had over ten years experience and the CSI 3 who has five years experience.

... Jeez, now I'm all worked up! :scream:

First of all, Dr. Langston came on in the middle of S/9, and we're winding down S/10, so this 'new guy title' is old and tiresome, he's hardly the new guy anymore:rolleyes: And CBS did hire LF to replace Billy Petersen/Grissom was the "lead", and now he's not~ he choose to leave, I might add, to pursue other interests. And just wondering what shows have a lead character who's not in charge?:confused: If this is true what shows? thank's;)

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/csi/csi-eyes-laurence-fishburne-as-21843.aspx

http://hwhills.com/its-official-laurence-fishburne-joins-csi/

And just wondering what shows have a lead character who's not in charge?

Mentalist, Castle, Grey's Anatomy (Meredith Grey is the lead character since the show is named after her and she is not in charge- at least I don't think she is lol) and pretty much all of the Law and Orders the main characters are the investigators/detectives rather than the chief/captain or whatever. And that's just to name a few shows. I'm sure there are plenty more than I'm forgetting. :lol: I guess you could even throw NCIS: Los Angeles in there... seeing as to how the boss is Hattie and the top two characters are Sam and Callen. :shrugs:

Plus, it would be an insult to the other actors and the fans. And it would be completely unbelievable within the show for a relative newbie (he's only been a CSI for over a year) to surpass the assistant supervisor who has had over ten years experience and the CSI 3 who has five years experience.

I agree completely with you, PraetorCorvinus.

Thank's for the info on the other shows, which I watch none of those, so I didn't know that, so the 'boss' in charge is not in any of the main scenes, or said episodes? I just usually like what ever TPTB select with no particular problem, & don't feel the need to 'crucify' anyone + we would still have Nick, Greggie, and possibly Sara, plus Brass, Doc, Hodges, Wendy Super Dave, Archie, Henry, Ecklie etc. Those are some pretty powerful characters on CSI to stop watching altogether because a character that is chosen to be the boss/leader is someone that some fans don't want:eek:Maybe Ray could be the new janitor, would that please some fans?

I think the main problem with Ray becoming supervisor would be that it's pretty unrealistic for a CSI with such little experience to advance over the other CSI's who have years of cases and experience under their belts. It's too big of a leap. Yes, he's been on for quite some time now, but when talking of being in command there are others who meet the qualifications in a more realistic way.

So basically what PraetorCorvinus wrote :lol:

Other shows where the boss is not the lead: Bones (Cam is the boss :) )

Thank's for the info on the other shows, which I watch none of those, so I didn't know that, so the 'boss' in charge is not in any of the main scenes, or said episodes?

Well, on Mentalist, the leading female character is the boss. :lol: But the lead character is Patrick Jane and he's more like a consultant I think. I mean, I don't think he's a cop. As for the L&O shows, it seems to me like the captains or whomever is in charge get a little more scenes than Brass does. :lol: I don't watch Grey's so I have no clue who the boss is on there. I think they changed it. I think it used to be that one guy who used to date Grey's mother (my grandma tells me stuff about the show lol), but I think he got fired (the character, not the actor), so I don't know who is in charge now. :lol:

I think the main problem with Ray becoming supervisor would be that it's pretty unrealistic for a CSI with such little experience to advance over the other CSI's who have years of cases and experience under their belts. It's too big of a leap. Yes, he's been on for quite some time now, but when talking of being in command there are others who meet the qualifications in a more realistic way.

I agree with that, hiphugger17. I don't dislike Ray at all... I just think it would be as you said very unrealistic for him to jump from Level 2 to supervisor by-passing every other Level 3 with many more years experience as well as by-passing the assistant supervisor.

I really think it's probably a moot point for now though. Marg has said she's planning to stay until at least the conclusion of next season. George and Eric have both said they're planning to stay until the conclusion of the series. So, I don't think they'll be making Ray a supervisor any time soon. There is always the chance that by next season he'll be a Level 3 though.

Other shows where the boss is not the lead: Bones (Cam is the boss :)

Haha, yeah! How did I forget that? :lol:

For the 2nd time, I stated that if I had the say I would pick Nick, he's been on since the beginning and has all the expertise of a great supervisor. And this is what fans are wishing as well, when LF first came on CSI , I was going "I'll never record this show again" I was so furious/sad/upset etc. that WP/Grissom left, and for me acted like a spoiled child. I regret that, because I was a luke warm fan of his [LF's] work prior to CSI, I thought he was a good actor but not thrilled or over the moon about him. But, much to my surprise I was blown away, in "19 Down" when he first walked out & introduced himself "Hi, I'm Dr. Raymond Langston" with his low seductive voice, with that creepy Nate Haskell, and have grown to admire and adore him. As a leader, maybe not, but what is outstanding about him is how he bonds/blends and is in tune with the whole team, & that's just a fact, which is a new refreshing idea. Grissom was always ticked off and putting someone on suspension, I can't see Ray doing that, so he wouldn't be the right boss. I just in a way feel it's disrespectable to the fans who do like him, have to defend him and have to keep reading insulting comments about him. And threatning to not watch the show anymore if he's made boss, that's really HARSH~ Would anyone like to hear negative comments about their favorite character?:confused:

Last edited:
I know you didn't say anything about him being supervisor over Nick, someone else mentioned that possibility and that's what I was referring to in my post. :)

I like Ray (he was especially great in Field Mice). I liked Ray being funny and quirky and seeming to enjoy his job. I think Ray should be like that more often rather than so serious all of the time. Seriousness is good, but I hope the writers mix some fun in there more often as well because LF is great at those scenes too. :)

Guys, let's remember, this is fiction. :) It's easy to get caught up in a favorite character or two and be defensive about them, and that's great. It's loyalty like this that makes CSI fans some of the best out there, I think. But let's keep things in perspective.

So far we haven't seen characters or actors really trashed or bashed. Criticized, yes, and that's okay, as long as it is relative and has a point. Mindless trashing like "I hate so and so they suck!" won't fly here. But good, civil discussion about characters is allowed and encouraged. :)

For those who care to continue the Ray debate, we do have an "Opinions on Ray" thread located here.

Press release for Doctor Who.

Says it's a 2-part season finale and I think this one is ep #22 so (hopefully) that means we'll see both this season. Also says it's a former colleague who accuses Langston as being part of the Dr. Jekyll murders.

------------

Sorry I know this is off topic..but I've got the theme from the British version of "Dr. Who" playing in my head now thanks to the title of this episode..:lol:

To clarify myself (and to reassure Smokey that I harbor no ill will toward any particular character), I have no issue with Ray himself nor the actor portraying him. My issue is with the presentation and delivery of said character.

Yes, Desertwind, you are correct. He shouldn't be considered a newbie any longer and I apologize for saying as such. He is a level 2 now and his medical experience does give him a leg up over other characters in that respect (though Greg would hold an advantage with chemistry, Nick in regards to law enforcement and Catherine with shaking her ass in five-inch heels :lol:). Indeed, I find his character the most enjoyable when he is involved in the medical aspects of a case.

The reason I would find the show unwatchable in the outside chance that Ray is made the lead both as a character and in his position is due to the destruction of credibility. I'm willing to suspend disbelief over many things the show has done over the years. However, in regards to the politics of the show, I cannot. At least not in this situation. Perhaps I have grown too "clingy" to the old gang and thus resist any change that would ultimately be perceived by myself and possibly others as an injustice toward them. Yet when I ask myself the question of if Ray was brought on as Grissom's actual replacement - as in a CSI level 3 with about equal experience as the new supervisor - I find the answer being that I wouldn't have minded as much.

So, my point is that when TPTB decided to bring Ray in as a level 1, they made the decision to make him the low man on the political totem pole. For him to jump forward from a level 1 to shift supervisor in only a period of two years is extremely unlikely. And that is something I can't get behind.

But this is only my opinion which reflects the viewpoints of only one person... me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back