Say NO to Homophobia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by beautifulview, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SparkyGirl

SparkyGirl CSI Level One

I was raised with an open mind and not to judge others. In my opinion I'm not the almighty. I have no right to pass judgement on anyone due to color, race, sexual orientation or what kind of jobs they do or their beliefs.

I've had bosses who were gay and lesbians and never had a problem with it. I've gone to gay clubs with them and met some of the most friendly people, some of the best frineds I've ever had. They have feelings just like I do and want to be accepted for who they are. In my circle they will always be accepted.

Society doesn't allow change and doesn't accept a lot of things.

2. iluvEricSzmanda

iluvEricSzmanda Coroner

I don't personally agree with homosexuality, but I would never be unkind or discriminatory against them (its kinda like hate the sin, not the sinner)I was taught that we should love everyone just like God loves us :)

3. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

I'm definitely saying NO to Homophobia. I got a lot of friends who are homosexual, and I respect them as much as any other person.

4. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i think ive said this before in the thread that was talking about gay marriage, but my momma has a saying, and it is: 'a persons sexuality shouldnt matter to you unless you want to have sex with them'
    i have had such heated discussions with some friends who are strict christians, and some guys at work (who i think are just plain homophobic) and i just cant believe these people! they try to give you all these crap reasons why homosexuality is a choice, or theyre just doing it for attention. give me a break.
    although it makes me wonder sometimes, do these people feel this way because its their own ideas, or are they just blindly following their religion? i was raised catholic, but i absolutely do not feel the way some of them do. in fact, the last time i was at church (other than christmas and easter) was right around the time gay marriage was legalized in canada, and the priest was talking about a petition they were having in the parish to protest the new law. basically, i told my mother i would not be going to that curch with that priest again.
    last summer i went to my cities gay pride parade for the first time. and it was so much fun to watch! i think there were 2000 people marching down the street, and about 50 protestors following them and yelling at them. and between the men dressed like vegas showgirls, and the protestors with their signs, who do you think looked more ridiculous? thats right, the protestors. people are people. you are not defined by your sexuality and if you are against it you are denying yourself some of the greatest friends you may ever have. thats my two cents anyways.

5. BittenByTheWolfe

BittenByTheWolfe CSI Level Three

Man, I hate to hear things like that. I'm Catholic myself and I've always taken pride in the fact that Catholics tend to be more open-minded about things, probably because so many are prejudiced against Catholics, so we kind of know what it's like to be on the receiving end of things, you know? But ugh, that just totally sucks. :(

6. Joy22

Joy22 Pathologist

I have no problems with gay people what so ever. The only people I have problems with are the ones who tell other people what to do because they feel their God has told them so. I can't stand people who are like that, the bible was written a very long time ago and the world had changed a whole lot in that period of time. Deal with it.
    In the end I don't want to judge a person by their sexual preferences, I either like people or I don't. Who they sleep with has nothing to do with that.

7. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

Exactly, Joy. I couldn't agree more. I think that religion can be a wonderful thing for people, and enrich their lives, but there is an ugly side too - a side where people feel their religion is the only truth in this world, and that "truth" gives them the right to judge others. There is not only one path that we all must walk down in this life. There are many paths, and just because you're on a different one from me doesn't make me right and you wrong, or vice versa.

I simply don't understand all this vigarous campaigning against gay marriage and the gay community in general. Excuse me, but how does two people getting married affect these other people? How does it negatively impact on their lives? That's right - it doesn't.

It also grates on my nerves when people call homosexuality a sin. If it were such a sin, then god wouldn't have created gay people. And afterall, She is supposed to omnipotent.

8. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

Here, here. When my son was in high school, although he himself is straight he had a lot of friends who felt disenfranchised, and in many of their cases it had to do with sexual identity. Some were gay or bi, some came from dysfunctional families, some had unrealistic expectations placed on them by underachiever parents...whatever. I always saw to it these kids felt welcome at our place because kids need love, guidance, and hope, and one if not all of those things seemed to be missing at home for a lot of them.

I think a lot of men's issues about homosexuality have to do with the fear that they are being looked at by another man in the same way they look at women, and that there is the potential of being treated the way they treat women. (Hence, the guys I know who treat women right aren't bothered by other people's choice of sexual partner.) My husband even brought that issue up - he's not a homophobe and has little patience for those who are. I've had gay/lesbian friends, co-workers, teammates, bandmates, whatever...not once has their sexuality had any kind of adverse impact on me.

Best teacher I ever had was gay - my 5th grade teacher. I was just a kid and had no idea (it was a different world in the mid 60's, believe me) but he became good friends with my mother, also open-minded enough not to let it bother her. He was a fascinating man. Taught the school choir and put on incredible productions with us. Took us on field trips to the museum and people would follow us around, just because what he was explaining to us about the exhibits was fascinating. And never a single complaint from a parent - of course, he didn't come out, a teacher just didn't back then, and his sexuality never impacted the classroom. But my mom told me when I was in my teens about how he'd confided in her, and his terror at the idea of coming out and his father's reaction. Anybody wants to tell me a man goes through that anguish by choice, and I know of a nice mental health facility they can check into.

Oh - and I've been in San Francisco on Christopher Street weekend. Talk about a citywide PAR-TAY! :D

9. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

I've experienced the biphobia being stronger than the homophobia in the straight community.. in Gay-Capital of Europe (the Netherlands) People understand (or try to anyways) when someone's gay.. but I've had different reactions on me being bisexual. They didn't understand that someone could like both sexes. Some other friends, on the other hand though, they were like "awwww you're so lucky, I wish I was bi, means more choice!" :D I bless those friends.

iluvEricSzmanda I probably lack the understanding of this. And don't want to leave with a wrong impression. But by saying:
    are you saying that you think it's some kind of disease or something, cuz I don't believe that is actually what you mean, but it looks like you do to me. Again, this is no way of looking for fights (or whatever), I just have the feeling that I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. So if you or anyone else could clarify this, many thanks :D

Has anyone been to the Gay-Parade in Amsterdam (or Berlin last year)??

10. Sillie

Sillie Pathologist

Yes! Wordy Mcword Word.

I've never understood homophobia. The first time I heard of it I was actually surprised it excisted.

Hmm, yup, which makes me really sad.

ETA:
    No, but I really want to one day. I mean, I live a half hour by train away from Amsterdam, so that shouldn't be a problem. :3

11. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Nice topic ;)

I have an uncle who is gay. He is one of the coolest people I have ever met in the world, I love him to death. I see no problem with him being a homosexual, I'm actually very proud that he felt okay to tell the world that he was. People should not be criticized for their different sexual orientations. It makes them no different than you or me, they're still human, and you should still treat them with love and respect.

12. tuesdaymorning

tuesdaymorning Judge

Hm.

I used to be Homophobic because when I was younger (Well, sixth grade), this one girl had approached me and told me that she had a crush on me. Now, coming from where I was (very conservative town) and with the little education I had with Homosexuality, I grew frightened, scared and ran off towards home where I explained to my parents.

My father is a very big Republican and right from there he told me how (as mentioned above) God created man and woman and in order to repopulate the world, it must be man and woman not man and man or woman and woman. And so I agreed with him and as I grew up, I was Homophobic and never dared to talk to those who were gay.

That changed when High School came around and more and more people began to admit that they were gay and thank God for my High School for turning things around. The once Conservative Community was now facing a new generation that was filled with those that accepted people. Not only that, but a school filled with many blacks and whites so we were very multi-cultural and accepting. Now, it wasn't until I realized that some of my closest friends were gay and that because I never knew about it, I didn't see them differently so slowly and by slowly, I began to become educated and accepting.

So, with that long story, you just have to realize on those that have the education and where they're brought up in.

With other phobia's, it's different. Fear of sharp objects is okay because the fear is of the objects. Homophobia is people, not objects. Therefore, I believe it is not all right.

13. BittenByTheWolfe

BittenByTheWolfe CSI Level Three

My favorite saying is "One mountain, many paths." Basically we're all sort of striving for some sort of spirituality but we're taking different ways to get there. I can't see anything wrong in that and don't see a need to impose my path on someone else if theirs is working for them. On the flip side, my path is working quite well for me so people shouldn't try to impose theirs on me.

Not to mention it was written by man and, since man is fallible, his words are fallible as well. Add into the fact that meaning often gets lost in translation (after all, the bible wasn't originally written in English) and you get a possibly very distorted and biased view of what God's word is. All in all, the bible is a great historical document but as a rulebook to live by, especially in this day and age, it really ought to be taken with a grain of salt.

Rock on! Agreed completely.

Oh, but what about the sanctity of marriage? It's more important for Britney Spears to be able to have a legal marriage that lasts 50 hours than it is for two men who have loved each other and been monogamous for 50 years to have any sort of legal claim to each other. :rolleyes:

14. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Everyone needs to be happy and as long as your happy screw the world.

15. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

I have no grudges against homosexuals! At all. There is a gay couple about 60 years old that works at the cinema together, they are SO adorable! They are one of the most sweetest couples I've ever met! :D They are SO cool for their age. :p

One of those things that I never really understood in Christanity was that, if God didn't want us to practice homosexuality, why give us homosexual feelings?! Unless he doesn't condemn it. But my brother have always disagreed with me on this topic. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.