Sandle RP (New)

Back at the morgue, Cath and Nick were chatting between themselves reminiscing about Nicks old mustache, while they waited for the Doc to finish with his findings. They knew they should really be doing paperwork or something, but they had both pulled doubles the night before and needed some kind of break.

"Ok, im done here" said Doc Robbins, taking out the thermometer from the vics liver.
"So do you have a time of death for us?" asked Cath yawning again.
"The liver temperature and the distinct lack of bruising where there should be tells me that the vic must have died 2-3 days before you found him." he replied
"And the hand thats gotta be hard to get a time for?" asked Nick
"Well of course that was quite a lot harder to determine but i would say that im almost certain that the hand was severed from the body at about the same time"
"Thanks Doc, i knew you could hand-le it" replied Nick, chuckling a little
"Smooth Nicky, smooth" said Cath smirking, she then turned back to the Doc, "Do you have a COD for us"
"Yes i do, the cause of death is a gun shot wound to the chest, bullet crossed the aorta"
"so nothing to do with bloodloss from the hand?" asked Nick
"No, that was severed post mortem" replied the Doc
"Why cut off the hand, presuming the hand belongs to the body here?" questioned Nick
"Trophy hand?" replied Cath, "Anyway, lets not get ahead of ourselves, we dont even know if the body and the hand are a match, no speculation on anything til Greg gets here" she said assertively. "Ill give him a call" she said getting out her cell.

Sara said okay and Greg couldn't help to smile. He was going to work with her again. But before he could say something, his cellphone rang.

"Sanders." He answered. It was Catherine. "Already did, Cath. DNA confirmed the hand belongs to the body. Actually I'm just about to get the results from Wendy..."

Sara got up and gestured to the door. Greg nodded and followed her into the hallway. He waved at Sofia before exited the room.

"So the TOD is around 2-3 days ago?" He was still talking into the phone when they arrived at the DNA lab. "I'm in front of DNA right now. Meet you in the morgue, Cath..." With that he hung up and entered the lab with Sara followed shortly behind.

Wendy looked up from her miscroscope. She handed Greg the results and explained a bit. Then he asked about another blood sample that he found at the scene, and she said it's not a match. Just then he realized Wendy was avoiding eye contact. But maybe he was just imagining it...

Greg and Sara exited the lab and went for the morgue.
"So what you've got, Doc?" He joined Catherine and Nick around the table with the DB on it, "Hi Catherine, Nick... Looks like your vic's found what it's missing..."

"hey ya Greg, hey Sara, looks like theres no such thing as a night of just paperwork for a csi is there" Cath said, Sara smiled back and then they all turned there attention to the doc.

"As i was explaining to Catherine and Nick the COD was a gun shot wound directly to the chest, and the bit that you're probably interested in is that the hand was severed post mortem, as the veins are narrower on the body than on the hand." he said, clearing up a bit.

"Ok Nicky now for some speculation" laughed Cath, Sara and Nick not getting the joke.
"Why would the killer kill the vic and then dump his severed hand miles away from the body" asked Nick, Catherine shrugged,
"Only thing i can think of is either as a reminder or cos it was worth something. Any ideas guys?" she said turning to Greg and Sara.

{where's Hollie? Do you guys need another Sara to fill in or...I know when I was gone it the CaRWash RP for a week (I'm Calleigh) they just about died from lack of ideas. I dunno where Hollie is...}

[Wonder about that myself... But I don't know if she would appreaciate someone taking over the role. Maybe you could try PM her first, Dutchie. Someone has to bring her back!]

"Ah paperwork is boring!" He commented, grinning at Sara. Then Doc started explaining so he got serious again.

"Why would the killer kill the vic and then dump his severed hand miles away from the body"
Nick asked everyone.

My question exactly.

Catherine added her own speculation, and Greg had his own.

"Maybe..." Greg started, "It was some kind of a ritual?" Everyone's attention turned to him. "You know, like a cult kinda thing. Say, you have to put a part of the body 5 miles away from the body. Or something like that..." Though he thought it was a bit weird. But hey, a severed hand few miles away from the body, everything was weird.
"Is there something strange about the crime scene?"

Then he pointed to the hand. "I was scrapping for the nails..." He suddenly paused, remembered something, "Which Wendy hasn't done yet with the result-- Anyway, I noticed something... See those weird marks?" Everyone leaned in closer to get a better look. "Can you explain, Doc?"

Cath and Nick turned their attention to Greg, his theory was intriguing and possible thought Cath, it was a bit strange, but shed learnt that in this job anything is possible.

She then turned her attention to the hand when Greg remarked that he noticed somee strange marks, and then to the Doc for his explanation.

"Why yes i can Greg, well partially anyway" he said picking up the hand and examining it closely, "there appears to be some lines of blue discoloration in the finger nails, that arent consistent to the discoloration of the hand" he said pointing to the discoloration, everyone leaning in further to take a look.

"What could that indicate?" asked Cath, amazed that she had never seen anything like this before.

"Well i cant be sure, but i would say some sort of toxic poisoning to the hand, that has been absorbed through the fingertips, i cant really say what though without tests being done." he said

"So, what your saying is the killer shot the guy and then severed the hand to stop it poisoning the rest of the body? Thats just weird" said Nick

"Well you dont expect killers to be sane do you" said Cath, "Thanks Doc, ok so heres the plan. Greg can you and Sara go and get the results from Wendy and analyse them. Nick and I will test the vics hand to try and determine what the substance is, and then we'll meet back in the breakroom when we're all done to analyse the data we've collected so far"

(just to let you all know that i will be away for a week from weds, so if Cath and Nick are needed, then Katie will play them for me. Thanks Katie :D)

[Ok, thanks. :)]

"That is weird..." Greg commented. But then again, Catherine was right. You don't really expect killers to be sane... Everything they do makes sense to them, even if it doesn't to the rest of us.

Catherine suggested them to go back to Wendy. So they did.
While they were walking down the hallway, they talked about the case. Greg made a joke and Sara was laughing so hard. She was still laughing as they entered the DNA lab that Wendy gave them weird looks.

"Hey, Wendy." Greg smiled at her. "I forgot to ask about the fingernails scrapping from the vic. Have you got any result?"

[frickangel, wanna add something? :)]

It took a few moments for her to realise she was staring a little too long at a laughing Sara and one grinning Greg. She blinked and cleared her throat while absent-mindedly playing with the edges of her lab coat. "Yeah," she looked away and tried to look busy with searching for the slip of paper. "Results just came in a few minutes ago."

The hunted piece of parchment was right before her, but Wendy decided on feigning ignorance. "It's somewhere here," she smiled at Greg while pushing the other envelopes away and finally said, "There you go."

Handing it to him, she laid her hands on her hips, trying to sound indifferent, "There was DNA under your vic's nails all right, one was male DNA and the other was not human."

Maybe he was imagining it again, Greg thought, as he was watching Wendy rummaging though the papers. He caught her eyes before she looked away, and it had made him stop grinning... wasn't sure why.

"Result came few minutes ago? Wow I thought I was fast..." Greg chuckled, trying to light things up. But it seemed like she didn't heard it, or choose to ignore it.
Though she smiled at him when she finally found the paper.

"There was DNA under your vic's nails all right, one was male DNA and the other was not human."
"Not human?" he raised an eyebrow.

[sorry it's short... I'm kinda... uh, sleepy :lol:]

"Not human?"

"Nope," She shook her head, feeling the strands from her ponytail bounce and tickled her neck. Lifting her hands, she curled her fingers into a claw and scratched the air and settling them on her hips again, "Me-ow."

There was a slight amusement buidling in her as she watched Greg take on an utterly confused look. "Hey, don't look at me," Wendy said before they could ask, "I just give you the results, the other part is for you guys to answer." Grinning from ear to ear now, she threw a casual but reluctant look at Sara before turning back to Greg, "So do I get brownie points for being fast?"

[no big, I *was* asleep :p]

[Weird enough, you bring the connection between Wendy and Greg... Remember Greg's scene when he was still lab tech? It was cat hair, and he was like "Nine lives... (making cat noises)" :lol: Eh, sorry... on to the story then]

Greg watched Wendy with an amused look. It had reminded him about the time when he was also a lab tech, he'd do things like that while presenting DNA results. Like immitating cat's noises and wearing a turban on his head... He surpressed a laugh on this memory.

He looked at Wendy again, raising his eyebrows, still surpressing a smile.
"Cat hair." He turned to look at Sara, "Since I don't believe a cat could shot a gun, drive, and toss a body part in a sandbox... That means... We're looking for a guy who came in contact with cats." He cocked his eyebrows at the thought, "Well that narrows it down."

Wendy was grinning from ear to ear. Sara said thanks to her and exited the lab.
Just before he also turned to follow Sara, Greg took one last look at Wendy, and how her comment had reminded him of his old days in DNA.

"I think you deserve more than brownies..." He finally said and smiled at her.

"Greg! Sara!" Sofia caught up with them in the hallway. "You're not gonna believe this. PD just called me, a jogger found a severed hand in a sandbox."

She saw Greg and Sara's expressions change. "I know. What do you have?" Greg told her about the cat hair. "Cat hair? Half the city owns a cat, so do I, does that make me a suspect?" She smiled. "But okay...on to the scene?"

[I forgot about the cat hair scene. :lol: It just popped into my head and I threw it in.]

"I think you deserve more than brownies..."

Attempting to hide her blush, Wendy laughed shrugged, "Anytime, Greg--anytime. Just make sure there's extra chocolate in those brownies."

She watched as he was about to reply when the blonde officer came bounding in. 'Damn!'. Chewing down on her lip, Wendy could only witness the exchange between the trio as she remained silent.

Greg was just about to say something back at Wendy when Sofia came running at them at full speed. He paused and blinked at her, his hand still holding the lab's door half-opened.

"Another severed hand?" He exchanged looks with Sara, and watched her expression change. He just couldn't believe it himself. It was too bizarre to be coincidence...

"I know. What do you have?"
Sofia asked them and he explained about the result. He had to agree with Sofia's comment though... He almost made the same sarcastic comment as earlier, so much for narrow it down, but instead he just nodded when Sofia asked them to follow her.

As they were walking down the hallways, his feelings become uneasy. He said, only above a whisper, "I have a bad feeling about this..."

(am back for a liitle while)

Cath and Nick arrived at the lab and got the results on the poisonous substance handed to her by Hodges.

"David have you processed the hand yet fro toxic substances?" asked Cath
"Yes" he replied
"and" she continued
"and what?" replied Hodges antagonistically
"dont play this game, its not clever or funny" she snapped back
"someones in a mood today" he said looking at Nick
"Just give us the results"Nick replied annoyed
"fine, fine, god u guys hqve no homour. The substance is a mixture of necury dioxide and lead oxide. deadly mixture really."
"Thanks" said Nicky and Cath walking out the room
"How the hell does anyone get hold of that kind of stuff?" asked Nick "it'd be lethal to touch"
"chem lab of some sort. Ill cqll greg and Sara see what the DNA tell us" she said dialling gregs phone
"Hey greg its Cath, we got the tox results ack its a mixture of lead and mercury, instant death really, whatve u got?"

Back