• A Different Kind of Hero

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Takes a Lickin' and Keeps on Tickin'

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really excited to see a chubby Ryan. That sounds odd, but it's at least something new for his character that we never knew about him before, so I'm simply taking in all that I can get. :p
As much as I'm unthrilled about the concept of the episode, I am looking forward to seeing him & Speed interact. I don't think it's going to make a whole lot of sense, but all the same it should be a fun scene between them.
Ditto.I feel the same about at least
getting something different for Ryan. I always thought Ryan grew up and went to school somewhere else,or did I just remember incorrectly? I really hope we get to see a little more of Ryan than I read in the spoilers.

He supposedly grew up in Boston. That's what so confusing about all of this. I don't have a prob with chubby Ryan. My issue is with the fact that writers seem to be mocking his chubbiness by using a stereotype of having him "addicted" to junk food. Not everyone who is overweight is overweight because they eat too much junk food! Some people just have bad metabolisms.

He supposedly grew up in Boston. That's what so confusing about all of this. I don't have a prob with chubby Ryan. My issue is with the fact that writers seem to be mocking his chubbiness by using a stereotype of having him "addicted" to junk food. Not everyone who is overweight is overweight because they eat too much junk food! Some people just have bad metabolisms.

Yeah. Some people become overweight from certain medications, too. Weird, I never saw Ryan as much of a junk food eater. Maybe a steak dinner kind of person...Mlah maybe it's just me.

Alright, I'm going to be honest. I don't like the idea of a chubby Ryan at all. Togo (esp in season 3) has the body type where you can tell he's always been skinny. It just sounds like they're going to make him look stupid, and continuity will go out the window. And Yelina said in Under the Influence Ryan came from Boston.

Alright, I'm going to be honest. I don't like the idea of a chubby Ryan at all. Togo (esp in season 3) has the body type where you can tell he's always been skinny. It just sounds like they're going to make him look stupid, and continuity will go out the window. And Yelina said in Under the Influence Ryan came from Boston.

Did she say he was from Boston? I did always think he was from elsewhere. Im not sure about this idea. It could be cringeworthy. And I agree with the comment about Jon always looking the skinny type. I cant imagine him chubby, at all.
I would much rather some actual character development, and I hope he does more in the epi, in the present time, Maybe at Eric's bedside or something
I was going to be good this season, and not look at spoilers. I am failing miserably so far :rolleyes:

I hadn't really thought of TPTB making Ryan chubby as them them making Ryan look stupid,but I do see your point. I was thinking more of the issues teens sometimes have at that age anyway.Now I'm kind of disappointed, I really hope this isn't his only scene for this episode.I'm not sure if Jon was always"skinny".There is a pic of him around leaning on a bike(he was pretty young)he's not fat,but he is heavier than he was in season 3.I think you are right about Yelina saying he was from Boston.

I would love to post spoilers here but first I have a weird question. Does the spoiler tag only show up when you post or can it show up when you preview? I don't want to mess up here.

I would love to post spoilers here but first I have a weird question. Does the spoiler tag only show up when you post or can it show up when you preview? I don't want to mess up here.
It shows up when you preview too. Whenver I have to post something in a spoiler box, I always preview so that I can be sure of what I'm doing ;)

Is that about.....
chubby Ryan??? :lol:

Thanks for the help Florry.:thumbsup: For some reason all of a sudden it decided to work:confused:

Geez, why stupid too?! I can see him chubby (although I agree Early Ryan doesn't seem to have the body type--I have seen pictures of JT where he looks as if he could have issues with his weight), but why not chubby, AND smart. Yelina said he has a undergrad degree in biology and is working on a masters in Genetics, so he can't be stupid. How much more abuse are they going to dump on this character?!

I remember Yelina telling H he was from Boston. So much of continuity:(

I happen to think that Jon can pull off a chubby look and look devilishly hot. The editors might need to do a little photoshopping with the liquify command but I think it could work. Maybe the reason for Ryan being in the department could be a class filed trip but who know with TPTB, but yeah Ryan is from Boston no question about it.

I hope I did the right thing with putting my comment in a spoiler box!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help Florry.:thumbsup: For some reason all of a sudden it decided to work:confused:

Geez, why stupid too?! I can see him chubby (although I agree Early Ryan doesn't seem to have the body type--I have seen pictures of JT where he looks as if he could have issues with his weight), but why not chubby, AND smart. Yelina said he has a undergrad degree in biology and is working on a masters in Genetics, so he can't be stupid. How much more abuse are they going to dump on this character?!

I remember Yelina telling H he was from Boston. So much of continuity:(

It feels like to me that the fact that they're making him someone who got lost from his group because he stopped at the vending machine... that just feels to me like the writers are trying to further humiliate the character and that really bothers me.

Last edited:
Nah TPTB is not humiliating Ryan

in his first scene we see him with a snack getting lost b/c well he was busy with the venidng machine. I don't find it stupid (otherwise I'd be an idiot :lol:), I actually find it sweet :adore:
He askes where his friends are to Speed and Speed treats him nicely.

Then well Speedle bets Ryan won't even pass the physical exam for obvious reasons, but I have read their second scene togheter whic his just sooo sweet both from Speedle and Ryan. They're just two great guys who would love to work together in the futre. Too bad it never happened.
Plus you can see that Ryan know lots of things and has the real passion to become a CSI.....so he's not stupid at all.

I, for once, wonder whether their chemistry and very short friendship will be good as it looks like b/c yeah reading their interactions....I do enjoy them!

Yeaaa guys, I think we're over reacting here a little. All we know so far is that he's going to be chubby (and who knows how chubby, chubby doesn't exactly mean SUPER FAT does it? I'd say I'm chubby but I'm definitely not huge) and that he stopped to use a vending machine. That doesn't mean he's addicted to junk food. It also doesn't say he's going to be stupid does it? I read the sides and he doesn't come across as stupid to me at all. Anyone could lose their group in an unfamiliar place for any reason. :rolleyes: I think they're just doing it this way to add a little bit of interest. I mean it would just be normal and boring if he was just this skinny good looking teenager, which would be the norm for this show. I think it's cool they're going to make him so different as a teenager compared to now. I think we have to wait and see. We can't go making all these assumptions when there are still weeks and weeks before the premiere, a lot of things can change in between then.

Last edited:
^Making assumptions is part of the fun.
I wonder if Ryan will remember talking to Speed,or if he remembered Speed when he saw his locker in his first episode?

Yeaaa guys, I think we're over reacting here a little. All we know so far is that he's going to be chubby (and who knows how chubby, chubby doesn't exactly mean SUPER FAT does it? I'd say I'm chubby but I'm definitely not huge) and that he stopped to use a vending machine. That doesn't mean he's addicted to junk food. It also doesn't say he's going to be stupid does it? I read the sides and he doesn't come across as stupid to me at all. Anyone could lose their group in an unfamiliar place for any reason. :rolleyes: I think they're just doing it this way to add a little bit of interest. I mean it would just be normal and boring if he was just this skinny good looking teenager, which would be the norm for this show. I think it's cool they're going to make him so different as a teenager compared to now. I think we have to wait and see. We can't go making all these assumptions when there are still weeks and weeks before the premiere, a lot of things can change in between then.

Plus
let's not forget that teenagers during 1997 were completely different from the ones we have to see nowdays. While in 1997 people weren't that good-looking and used to wear horrific t-shirts with Nirvana or any other band on, teenagers now, especially in Miami tend to wear just fashionable clothes and are just busy with their mobile phones while texting some stupid messages to their friends.

Ryan is a solid teenager who acted as a perfectly normal guy from 1997. Plus the fact he stopped by the vending machine isn't that weird. Teenager in 1997 used to eat lots of snacks for a break. I wouldn't mind seeing him while he punches the vending maching just to grab a "snickers" or a "mars". It is absolutely normal and perfectly fine for the time.

As for chubby Ryan, well it doesn't mean he's going to be obese.
He may look like Bugsley, so what? Is that disgusting to see? To me it's quite interesting to see as I find it a pretty cool idea especially for a guy like Ryan who, now, is quite tiny and tends to wear shirts and ties. He was a chubby teenager with acne on his face and a Niravana t-shirt??? Look what a very handsome/hot guy he's become :drool:!!!

As for Ryan remembering Speed, well now I do undertand why he kept staring Speedle's locker. I do think that he recognized who the guy was. He met him, he talked to him and it was pretty clear that he wished to work with Speedle once he was out of the Academy. So yeah I'm pretty sure that Ryan remembered the guy ;). Which is nice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back