• A Different Kind of Hero

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Takes a Lickin' and Keeps on Tickin'

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't change what tptb have written and we don't even know if this stuff's going to be anything more than spoilers. They may have to make drastic changes depending on who's available as actors to them. Actually, if they can't get Rory back Ryan's little vending machine scene may have to be cancelled completely. Tptb have always done to Ryan whatever they wanted so it's nothing really new. >.>

Yeaaa guys, I think we're over reacting here a little. All we know so far is that he's going to be chubby (and who knows how chubby, chubby doesn't exactly mean SUPER FAT does it? I'd say I'm chubby but I'm definitely not huge) and that he stopped to use a vending machine. That doesn't mean he's addicted to junk food. It also doesn't say he's going to be stupid does it? I read the sides and he doesn't come across as stupid to me at all. Anyone could lose their group in an unfamiliar place for any reason. :rolleyes: I think they're just doing it this way to add a little bit of interest. I mean it would just be normal and boring if he was just this skinny good looking teenager, which would be the norm for this show. I think it's cool they're going to make him so different as a teenager compared to now. I think we have to wait and see. We can't go making all these assumptions when there are still weeks and weeks before the premiere, a lot of things can change in between then.

Plus
let's not forget that teenagers during 1997 were completely different from the ones we have to see nowdays. While in 1997 people weren't that good-looking and used to wear horrific t-shirts with Nirvana or any other band on, teenagers now, especially in Miami tend to wear just fashionable clothes and are just busy with their mobile phones while texting some stupid messages to their friends.

Ryan is a solid teenager who acted as a perfectly normal guy from 1997. Plus the fact he stopped by the vending machine isn't that weird. Teenager in 1997 used to eat lots of snacks for a break. I wouldn't mind seeing him while he punches the vending maching just to grab a "snickers" or a "mars". It is absolutely normal and perfectly fine for the time.

As for chubby Ryan, well it doesn't mean he's going to be obese.
He may look like Bugsley, so what? Is that disgusting to see? To me it's quite interesting to see as I find it a pretty cool idea especially for a guy like Ryan who, now, is quite tiny and tends to wear shirts and ties. He was a chubby teenager with acne on his face and a Niravana t-shirt??? Look what a very handsome/hot guy he's become :drool:!!!

As for Ryan remembering Speed, well now I do undertand why he kept staring Speedle's locker. I do think that he recognized who the guy was. He met him, he talked to him and it was pretty clear that he wished to work with Speedle once he was out of the Academy. So yeah I'm pretty sure that Ryan remembered the guy ;). Which is nice :D
Florry- 1997 wasnt all that long ago! I think teenagers are pretty much the same. I have seen plenty of teens in dodgy t-shirts, and there were plenty of mobiles around then.
Anyway, I agree that it could turn out to be a cute scene. It could go either way. I dont think TPTB would want to make Ryan look really stupid. (crosses fingers)

Wasabi- you are right, any of these spoiler details could be changed. Just have to wait and see. But I have no probs with speculating until then :)

Florry- 1997 wasnt all that long ago! I think teenagers are pretty much the same. I have seen plenty of teens in dodgy t-shirts, and there were plenty of mobiles around then.
Anyway, I agree that it could turn out to be a cute scene. It could go either way. I dont think TPTB would want to make Ryan look really stupid. (crosses fingers)
Well it's not that long ago for sure, but IDK I do think that even it wasn't so many years ago, there were some substancial differences between the teenagers of that time and ones nowdays.

As for mobile phones I'm pretty sure that very few teenage people had it also b/c the mobile phone, as we intend now, wasn't invented too many years before.
Also, I'v read that in the department people were writing reports with typewriters. So, as for TPTB computers didn't exist (at least in the hall as Calleigh has a very very old computer in her firearms closet/lab) I really don't see how teenagers could be there with a mobile phone :lol:

Well it's not that long ago for sure, but IDK I do think that even it wasn't so many years ago, there were some substancial differences between the teenagers of that time and ones nowdays.

As for mobile phones I'm pretty sure that very few teenage people had it also b/c the mobile phone, as we intend now, wasn't invented too many years before.
Also, I'v read that in the department people were writing reports with typewriters. So, as for TPTB computers didn't exist (at least in the hall as Calleigh has a very very old computer in her firearms closet/lab) I really don't see how teenagers could be there with a mobile phone :lol:
I agree with you to some extent. Teens now are much more technologically savvy, but I had a mobile back in '98 and I was one of the last people in my group of friends to get one, and I considered it pretty late in the day!
A typewriter? I used to watch Lois and Clark in the mid '90s and even they had those old computers. It will be interesting to see the lab without all the fancy gizmos.
Well, back to Ryan......:)

Yeaaa guys, I think we're over reacting here a little. All we know so far is that he's going to be chubby (and who knows how chubby, chubby doesn't exactly mean SUPER FAT does it? I'd say I'm chubby but I'm definitely not huge) and that he stopped to use a vending machine. That doesn't mean he's addicted to junk food. It also doesn't say he's going to be stupid does it? I read the sides and he doesn't come across as stupid to me at all. Anyone could lose their group in an unfamiliar place for any reason. :rolleyes: I think they're just doing it this way to add a little bit of interest. I mean it would just be normal and boring if he was just this skinny good looking teenager, which would be the norm for this show. I think it's cool they're going to make him so different as a teenager compared to now. I think we have to wait and see. We can't go making all these assumptions when there are still weeks and weeks before the premiere, a lot of things can change in between then.

Plus
let's not forget that teenagers during 1997 were completely different from the ones we have to see nowdays. While in 1997 people weren't that good-looking and used to wear horrific t-shirts with Nirvana or any other band on, teenagers now, especially in Miami tend to wear just fashionable clothes and are just busy with their mobile phones while texting some stupid messages to their friends.

Ryan is a solid teenager who acted as a perfectly normal guy from 1997. Plus the fact he stopped by the vending machine isn't that weird. Teenager in 1997 used to eat lots of snacks for a break. I wouldn't mind seeing him while he punches the vending maching just to grab a "snickers" or a "mars". It is absolutely normal and perfectly fine for the time.

As for chubby Ryan, well it doesn't mean he's going to be obese.
He may look like Bugsley, so what? Is that disgusting to see? To me it's quite interesting to see as I find it a pretty cool idea especially for a guy like Ryan who, now, is quite tiny and tends to wear shirts and ties. He was a chubby teenager with acne on his face and a Niravana t-shirt??? Look what a very handsome/hot guy he's become :drool:!!!

As for Ryan remembering Speed, well now I do undertand why he kept staring Speedle's locker. I do think that he recognized who the guy was. He met him, he talked to him and it was pretty clear that he wished to work with Speedle once he was out of the Academy. So yeah I'm pretty sure that Ryan remembered the guy ;). Which is nice :D

Wasabi- you are right, any of these spoiler details could be changed. Just have to wait and see. But I have no probs with speculating until then :)

Thanks, you guys have made me feel better.

[spoiler="8.01]I really can't wait to see Speed and a teenage Ryan interact. Maybe we will get an idea from their conversation why Ryan wanted to be a CSI (maybe Speed the inspiration?!) And you are right luf100, chubby doesn't mean fat it could just mean stocky. It sounds as if it is going to be a great scene and it would make Ryan's reaction at Speed's locker make a little more sense. I wouldn't see any purpose of making Ryan look stupid, maybe inexperienced and young (well, because he is), but not stupid. Just hungry!:)

I maintain a scene immediately following this one showing a grown up Ryan would be very effective.

You were talking about the mobile phones in 1997, I got a sudden image of Ryan carrying around a phone the size of a loaf of bread:guffaw:[/spoiler]

I don't know what happened in this, so I'm replying to MiamiWolfe in the Spoiler tag. The quote thing isn't working.

I have a question about Speed's locker. When Ryan went in, and he looked at Speed's locker did he take the one beside it? If he did that would definitely explain his look at it...

I agree with you about showing a grown up Ryan right after the parts of him as a teen. That'd be awesome. Just to make it completely obvious on how much he changed.

Oh man. My Nannie STILL has one of those really old cell phones. She doesn't use it but for some reason she keeps it. It's horrible.

Last edited:
I don't know what happened in this, so I'm replying to MiamiWolfe in the Spoiler tag. The quote thing isn't working.

I have a question about Speed's locker. When Ryan went in, and he looked at Speed's locker did he take the one beside it? If he did that would definitely explain his look at it...

I agree with you about showing a grown up Ryan right after the parts of him as a teen. That's be awesome. Just to make it completely obvious on how much he changed.

Oh man. My Nannie STILL has one of those really old cell phones. She doesn't use it but for some reason she keeps it. It's horrible.

He went in to the locker room, saw Speed's name on a locker and took the nearest empty one which happened to be the next one.

He seemed to me to pause a second before grabbing the other locker which would make perfect sense if he met Speed in the past

I agree with you about showing a grown up Ryan right after the parts of him as a teen. That's be awesome. Just to make it completely obvious on how much he changed.

He went in to the locker room, saw Speed's name on a locker and took the nearest empty one which happened to be the next one.

He seemed to me to pause a second before grabbing the other locker which would make perfect sense if he met Speed in the past
You're right,he did pause before before taking the locker next to Speed's,a locker that didn't close properly.That would fit well with him having met Speed before,or just showing respect for a fallen fellow officer.

Alright, another bit of honesty, I haven't read all the responses!! But I didn't mean to imply Ryan would be dumb because he was fat, but more like he would look dumb with a bag of Funyons in his hand asking where the "Junior Officers" are. Here's my better idea to incorporate Ryan into this Blast From the Past story: Ryan is a tad older, (college age) visiting his uncle Ron from Boston. Ryan has issues back home, which would be reason for the visit (and explanation for future jerky behavior). Something happens that would require him to go to the police station, he gets turned around and runs into Speed who shows him all the policey stuff. Later, Ryan goes back to Boston, but can't deal with whatever problems there are. SO.....he comes back to Miami, becomes a cop, and nanner nanner, end of story.

Why I added nanner nanner......not completely sure. Anyway, they could do something simple like that and still keep up with continuity!!

Last edited:
Alright, another bit of honesty, I haven't read all the responses!! But I didn't mean to imply Ryan would be dumb because he was fat, but more like he would look dumb with a bag of Funyons in his hand asking where the "Junior Officers" are. Here's my better idea to incorporate Ryan into this Blast From the Past story: Ryan is a tad older, (college age) visiting his uncle Ron from Boston. Ryan has issues back home, which would be reason for the visit (and explanation for future jerky behavior). Something happens that would require him to go to the police station, he gets turned around and runs into Speed who shows him all the policey stuff. Later, Ryan goes back to Boston, but can't deal with whatever problems there are. SO.....he comes back to Miami, becomes a cop, and nanner nanner, end of story.

Why I added nanner nanner......not completely sure. Anyway, they could do something simple like that and still keep up with continuity!!

I think I might like that better. He returns to Miami after college primarily because Uncle Ron is there and he wants to get as far away as possible from the issues back home, becomes a cop then a CSI because of his encounter with Speedle. Then we get more of glimpse of Ryan's past and a explaination of events consistant with the facts already available. Hollyyo, why aren't WE writing for CSIM?!:lol::guffaw:

Oh, by the way, I like nanner, nanner!!:lol:

OT: Luf, I love the caption on your Eric icon. It made me :guffaw: And the coloring is gorgeous! It's so vibrant and clear. :)

I wonder if we will ever get to meet Ryan's uncle. :lol:

I agree GNRF, luf does have a great caption for her Eric icon.
I want everyone to forgive me because I'm in a pessimistic mood today,but no we aren't going to meet Uncle Ron.:(If I see a glimmer of hope at the start of the new season as far as how the stories are written,I may change my mind.

Last edited:
Does anyone think Ryan will end up leaving (hopefully not the way of Speed) before the show ends, or do you think he's there to stay?

I think, depending on how long the show runs for, and what Jonathan Togo is doing, that he could possibly end up leaving before it's over. What would you do if he did leave? Would you keep watching if it was the actors choice to leave, or would you give it up? What if it wasn't the actors choice, they just decided to cut him out?

Random questions, but just wondering. Plus it might possibly give people who aren't spoiler readers something to talk about. :lol:

Oh and thank you greatfan. :)

I do think Jon is there to stay. I only see a few more years for the show and the actors appear to have the time for other projects they want to take on(Adam seemed to have tons of other projects) .Unless something really huge came along,I don't see Jon leaving unless he was written out,and I would want the character to be transfered instead of being killed.If that happened, I may give the show a chance,but likely I would stop watching after a while.Another really interesting character would have to come along and other aspects of the show improved for me to continue watching on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back