• A Different Kind of Hero

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Takes a Lickin' and Keeps on Tickin'

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice thoughts here :drool: :drool: :drool: I like the idea about singing in shower, i like everything what includes Ryan and shower! :devil:

Me too, Orla, me too:drool::devil:. The thought of Ryan in the shower will get me through the afternoon:thumbsup::devil:

I'm just kidding! Eric is harder on Ryan than I think Speed ever would have been.

Speed I think would have teased Ryan, been hard on him in that way, but not seriously. Eric doesn't even realize it when he gives Ryan a hard time because he means it.

Oh, I completely agree. Speed would have taken Ryan under his wing and actually TRAINED him. If you watch the earlier episodes with Speed and Eric, Speed was the mature one, and called Eric on some of his stuff. For example in Hard Time, Eric had to call Calleigh to cover for him at a crime scene when he was stuck in traffic. Later, when discussing it with Speed later, Speed commented that is was a different party with him every day. Love Speed!!!:) Hmmmm. Sounds as if someone else had some growing pains. Speed would have guided Ryan through them instead of treating him like his presence was an intrusion.

^ Yeah Solitaire he was hot :D He was skinnier than he is now (like season 3 Ryan) and he had spikier hair.

Well, it doesnt seem like such a bad dream then :)
I like the spikier hair, although I did like the longer do back then.

Speaking of sweater vests,Ryan's clothing style is so different than when he started, and so is the character.
I often wonder if the writers and TPTB had a full picture of Ryan's personality in season 3,if they actually knew what was wanted from the character.
If they were still developing the personality,or if the writers decided they wanted something totally different from the Ryan that was first presented in season 3 and decided to go in an entire different direction .

I was watching a s3 epi the other night, and you are right, his look and character are so different. I think TPTB didn't know what to do with the character and just made it up as they went, to fit the stories.

^ That's exactly how I felt when I posted the statement,as if Ryan's character were being made up as the seasons aired.It's like the writers didn't have a clear idea what they wanted to do with him or they didn't stick to the original idea they had of the character.

Last edited:
Maybe the writers weren't sure about whether or not they wanted to make Ryan a regular character? They just kind of threw a bunch of stuff together as he grew in popularity, and so now it all seems a little "fuzzy" or like it doesn't fit.

Anywho, to comment on an earlier topic: I think that Eric would have treated Ryan differently if Speed were still there. Eric saw Ryan essentially as a replacement for Speedle, a person who could never be replaced, and therefore Eric was fairly rude towards him. Honestly, a lot of people would probably act like that in that situation. Should Eric still be acting like that? Probably not, but I felt that at first it was understandable. Now it's just annoying.

Maybe the writers weren't sure about whether or not they wanted to make Ryan a regular character? They just kind of threw a bunch of stuff together as he grew in popularity, and so now it all seems a little "fuzzy" or like it doesn't fit.

Anywho, to comment on an earlier topic: I think that Eric would have treated Ryan differently if Speed were still there. Eric saw Ryan essentially as a replacement for Speedle, a person who could never be replaced, and therefore Eric was fairly rude towards him. Honestly, a lot of people would probably act like that in that situation. Should Eric still be acting like that? Probably not, but I felt that at first it was understandable. Now it's just annoying.
I got the idea from what I read that Ryan was going to be a regular even before he appeared on the show.Even so,it still shoudn't feel as if the character is made to fit the story.Ryan has been part of the show from early season 3 and the show is entering thr 9th season, Ryan's character should be a little more solid by now.
I agree that Eric would have treated Ryan differently if Speed were there,he wouldn't have any reason for the anger.And no,he shouldn't still be acting that way.That's something else the writers need to work on.

I agree on how Eric would've treated Ryan if Speed was still there. But like you said Eric felt Ryan was a replacement for Speed so he's always acted rude to him. I don't really get that though. Someone had to join the team and it wasn't Ryan's fault that Speed was dead. So Eric taking it out on Ryan is messed up. You would think though after all this time Eric and Ryan would be good friends. I hate the on-again-off-again friendship they have.

I agree on how Eric would've treated Ryan if Speed was still there. But like you said Eric felt Ryan was a replacement for Speed so he's always acted rude to him. I don't really get that though. Someone had to join the team and it wasn't Ryan's fault that Speed was dead. So Eric taking it out on Ryan is messed up. You would think though after all this time Eric and Ryan would be good friends. I hate the on-again-off-again friendship they have.

Exactly. It's not like Ryan's some criminal mastermind that orchestrated the whole killing Speedle thing just so he could get a job at the crime lab. He was just a guy who worked for the police department and wanted a different job, and Eric can't seem to see that sometimes.
If Eric is going to hate Ryan (which I don't think he should), then he at least needs to be consistent about it. All this being "buddy buddy" one day and wanted to bite Ryan's head off the next is just crazy.

I don't get why the writers insist on writing their friendship as a fair-weathered friendship. When everything is good, they're buds, but when something happens that looks suspicious toward Ryan, its back to square one again. What is the deal with the writers on that? Why can't they have Eric say to Ryan (if Ryan does something he finds "questionable"): "You know, I don't really know why you constantly find yourself in trouble, Wolfe and I do get disappointed when you do. But, as a friend, I'm still going to be here for you through your struggles." Not in those exact words (cause Eric doesn't talk that way lol), but something along those lines. Heh, that came from watching Army Wives last night. :lol:

If Eric is going to hate Ryan (which I don't think he should), then he at least needs to be consistent about it. All this being "buddy buddy" one day and wanted to bite Ryan's head off the next is just crazy.
That made me laugh for some reason. But I agree. I think it'd be kinda funny if they had a constant I-hate-you relationship. And all would be well if they were always friends and Eric could learn to trust Ryan. I would say Ryan needs to trust Eric too, he's not perfect just because I'm a Ryan fan, but I honestly don't think that Ryan has anything against Eric, and that he does trust him. ;) But anyways, the I'm-your-friend to I-distrust-you relationship really is annoying. I doubt the writers will ever do anything about it though. We can always hope.

I think that Eric would have treated Ryan differently if Speed were still there. Eric saw Ryan essentially as a replacement for Speedle, a person who could never be replaced, and therefore Eric was fairly rude towards him. Honestly, a lot of people would probably act like that in that situation. Should Eric still be acting like that? Probably not, but I felt that at first it was understandable. Now it's just annoying.

I agree, I can understand why Eric was rude to start with, although he shouldn't have been. He had just lost a close friend and was all emotional, but that animosity should have only lasted a few episodes. Ryan has given Eric no cause to distrust him as much as he seems to. Like in Resurrection- the first thought in his head was that Ryan was involved. But based on what?
GNRF- It does seem a fair-weathered friendship. As soon as there is some kind of problem they are no longer friendly. It would be better if TPTB were more consistent with the way they wrote the relationship. I wouldn't want them to be best friends all the time or anything, but the way it jumps around at the mo is just ridiculous.

Anywho, to comment on an earlier topic: I think that Eric would have treated Ryan differently if Speed were still there. Eric saw Ryan essentially as a replacement for Speedle, a person who could never be replaced, and therefore Eric was fairly rude towards him. Honestly, a lot of people would probably act like that in that situation. Should Eric still be acting like that? Probably not, but I felt that at first it was understandable. Now it's just annoying.[/QUOTE]

It would have happened to anyone who replaced Speedle and it just happened to be Ryan. If Eric is still acting the way he is toward Ryan after all this time, maybe he needs to get help dealing with his grief.

Exactly. It's not like Ryan's some criminal mastermind that orchestrated the whole killing Speedle thing just so he could get a job at the crime lab. He was just a guy who worked for the police department and wanted a different job, and Eric can't seem to see that sometimes.

Watching the earlier episodes and from some of his comments, Ryan knew what situation he was walking into. He wanted this job, interviewed for it and H gave him a chance. Nothing personal Eric. Ryan has done things that made people question him, but to automatically suspect the worst of someone when EVERY TIME something arises (Ressurection comes to mind), doesn't

It would have happened to anyone who replaced Speedle and it just happened to be Ryan. If Eric is still acting the way he is toward Ryan after all this time, maybe he needs to get help dealing with his grief.

Watching the earlier episodes and from some of his comments, Ryan knew what situation he was walking into. All he wanted was this job, interviewed for it and H gave him a chance. Nothing personal Eric. Ryan has done things that made people question him, but automatically suspecting the worst of someone when EVERY TIME something arises (Ressurection comes to mind), doesn't give redeeming oneself and learning from one's mistakes much credence. The writers need this story arc a rest.

It is also time to give us a peek into Ryan's past (I love learning why people act the way they do) TPTB act as if we should believe he was dropped off on Earth by the Mothership four years ago. It could also help heal any rifts between Ryan and his coworkers.:thumbsup:

I don't get the Eric-Ryan relationship either. The way I see it Eric is just always skeptical and pessimistic about Ryan and sometimes he just has to be buddy-buddy to ensure they can complete a case together without hassle.

I'd like some explination of the changes in Ryan as the seasons went on. THEN again...I'd also like explination of where his OCD went, his feelings, and about 500 other things. =/

It eems Ryan attracts shallow, half baked story plots. The kinds that always revolve around him betraying team trust or getting in trouble, and the kinds that never have any real fall out or scratch beyond the first layer of his being. The writers have played a lot with Ryan's behavior and actions, but they never offer us any real reason why.

I don't get the Eric-Ryan relationship either. The way I see it Eric is just always skeptical and pessimistic about Ryan and sometimes he just has to be buddy-buddy to ensure they can complete a case together without hassle.

I'd like some explination of the changes in Ryan as the seasons went on. THEN again...I'd also like explination of where his OCD went, his feelings, and about 500 other things. =/

It eems Ryan attracts shallow, half baked story plots. The kinds that always revolve around him betraying team trust or getting in trouble, and the kinds that never have any real fall out or scratch beyond the first layer of his being. The writers have played a lot with Ryan's behavior and actions, but they never offer us any real reason why.

You are so right. No background, no follow up just "let's make Ryan look as bad as possible AGAIN." I can only admit it here that I do get frustrated with fans of the characters with all the screen time that say their character seems to get the short end of the stick. RYAN and Natalia and Frank are the ones getting the short end. The others get plenty of quality screen time that Ryan and the others are being deprived of
(sorry, kind of grumpy today):(

On a positive note, of the few story lines he has gotten, Jon Togo has made the most of them and has proven himself a pretty talented actor (and those EYES) Gee, I guess I am not as grumpy as I thought!)

Last edited:
Maybe the writers will finally let Ryan be more a part of the team now instead of always at odds with everyone. I hope so cause I love the moments where they've had good team interaction. I like the idea of Ryan and Eric being friends. Not saying they can't have a disagreement every now and then, even the best of friends have those. Warrick and Nick did a couple of times and were always competing with each other, but still were good friends. :)

I made a present for the thread. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back