Review The Last Film You Saw ~ Thread 3

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chazzawazza

chazzawazza Witness

Haha you got him so spot on, he is the same flippin character in all his films! He does my tree in, as does that film, it was ok till the whole supernatural thingy started getting OTT(wont say owt else don't want to give owt away). The scene at the very end was good though it had the potential to be an amazing movie, shouldn't have gotten that twerp Cage to be the main character :rolleyes:.

Just watched Orphan, I was surprised. I was expecting a poor horror film with the usual creepy child b.s. but it was actually a very tense well acted thriller. I would never have guessed the twist either. I just wish every psycho child in films wasn't a tragic carehome case with bad parents/bad childhood memories etc. Some well bought up "normal" kids can turn out bad too I imagine. Still, pretty good film i'd give it 7/10.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Drag me To Hell was the last one I saw. I put it in the worst films thread. :lol: I thought it was pretty bad. the meant to be funny nods to the great Army Of Darkness/Evil Dead movies didn't work in this film at all. Basically the only thing this movie had going for it was Justin Long, whom I adore. The scene with the possessed goat was pretty funny, but all in all this movie was kind of boring and the ending was a bit of a cop out for me. I like it when the ultimate jerk in the movie gets whats coming to them and the one in this movie just had some sad sob story that made the main character feel bad for him and let him off the hook. :groan:

3. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

^^Drag Me To Hell was terrible!! i saw it in the movies and i wanted my money back so bad. my brother loves it he had to get the movie the day it came out on dvd.

Torn Curtain- definitely not one of Hitchcock's best but it was an interesting story. this was the first time i saw one of Hitchcock's later works besides Psycho. i liked seeing Paul Newman in the movie.... Paul Newman in any movie is great. seeing Julia Andrews not as Maria, Mary Poppins or the grandma from Princess Diaries was cool and a bit odd lol. i found this movie not as suspensful as most of Hitchcock's other movies. sure it the old how are the characters going to escape but the way Paul Newman and Julie Andrews got out of their situation sucked.

Psycho is a classic and Torn Curtain is ok but if anyone wants to become a Hitchcock fan or just wants to see one of his movies watch the ones from the '40s or '50s those are usually considered his best.

Kitty Foyle- very very good movie, sad story but it very good to sit through. Ginger Rogers stars as the title character. she was excellent i enjoyed her performance so much in this movie. she definitely proved she's more than Fred Astaire's dance partner in this. Ginger Rogers beat out Joan Fontaine's performance in "Rebecca"; for a while i could not understand why b/c Joan Fontaine was brilliant in "Rebecca" but after watching "Kitty Foyle" i completely understand.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  4. chazzawazza

chazzawazza Witness

I LOVED Drag Me To Hell!!! In fact every other person I know who's seen it has loved it until now. Weird. The dvd is on my crimbo list in fact it's prob my fave movie i've seen this year. Out of interest, who's the guy who got let off the hook coz of a sob story, I can't for the life of me think of who you're on about?? Damn me and my poor memory, for the record I adore Justin Long too can't think of a single film of his I didn't like.

5. GregNickRyanFan

Putting the reply in spoiler code just in case it gives away too much for those who haven't seen it:

I've definitely seen worse, but to me it was just boring... and I probably wouldn't hate it nearly as much if it hadn't been for the scene with the kitten. :( I knew it was going to happen, but I was hoping that I was wrong. And it was even worse that she killed it for nothing. It didn't help her a bit.

As for the guy with the sob story, the guy who was gunning for the promotion she was up for. He took those files and sent them to another company so her boss would think it was her fault... and she was going to give him the button until he gave her some sob story. I missed part of it cause I went outside to check the mail or something but when I came back inside he was nearly sobbing and saying something like "you won't tell my dad will you?" and then she told him to just go and she still had the envelope in her hand. :lol: The switching of the envelope was also too obvious and predictable... but the outcome wasn't. When everyone realized the envelope is still with the boyfriend, people think uh oh the spirit/demon is gonna get him, but then at least there was the twist of no, it had no intention of coming after him because she didn't give it to him formally as a gift, so it was still hers. :lol:

But, I would have liked the movie better without all the gross stuff (slobber and goo getting all over people- the old woman putting her mouth all over the girl's face in the attack- nasty) and without the kitten scene... but all in all I found the movie too slow paced and the story was dragging and boring to me for the most part.

I guess I would say that the movie was a little too Tales From Crypt for my tastes. The way it ended, the story altogether about reaping what you sow or whatever... and like I said the ending, it just reminded me way too much of some cheesy episode of Tales From the Crypt. I'm not sure there were actually any episodes of TFTC that I actually even liked... even a little bit. :lol:

6. FieryRed

FieryRed Rookie

Drag me to Hell was horrid!!! I agree...

Latelly I watched Terminator 4. Is very good film if you like sci fi movies.
    Happens in the future after the destruction of the wold. Is nice film nothing spectacular but nice!

7. GregNickRyanFan

I just watched "Trick r' Treat". It was pretty good. Kind of weird, but not bad at all. :)

8. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i just saw orphan as well. it was better than i expected but still not perfect. and yet i dont really know what would have made it better. i feel that way with a lot of horror/scary movies, they have a great idea but they fall flat on execution. i had thought i wouldnt see it so looked up the twist, but i wouldnt have guessed it anyway. im horrible at guessing!

when the dad died. i was so mad at him for not listening to his wife! yes she did sound a bit crazy, but he could have at least considered what she was saying. he put his children in danger but not listening to her, and got killed in the end. way to go buddy!

the most recent movie i saw was a werewolf movie from the 90s, bad moon. it was pretty crappy. the special effects on the werewolf were terrible, and there wasnt much suspense or action. the acting was also horrid, the best actor in the movie was the german shepherd that played the family dog!

9. chazzawazza

chazzawazza Witness

Just been to see The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus, my god it was horrible. I so wanted to like this being a fan of all the actors in it and the fact it was a British film, however it was impossible. My brain felt like custard afterwards it was so confusing. And it wasn't just me, a group of 10 of us went, 9 of us hated it. There were a few good comedy moments, most of them from Verne Troyer but they were few and far between. All in all i'd say it was the worst film i've seen all year and i'm thankful for orange wednesdays coz if i'd payed full price i'd have been p***ed.

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

^ i so wanted that movie to be good! maybe i will just rent it when it is at the dollar movie store then :(

just watched paranormal activity, and i have one word for this movie... LAME! everyone in my class was talking about it this week. saying it was the scariest movie since the exorcist and they couldnt sleep afterwards. i figured i would give it a shot.

it is filmed like blair witch, using a home movie camera and making it seem like real events. a couple get a camera to film their house at night because strange things have been happening and they want to catch it on film. it was about an hour into the movie before anything happened, and even then it was only a door slam and footstep noises! and then it was another 20 minutes (this is only a 90 minute movie!) before something happened again!

the haunting documentaries on discovery channel are scarier than this movie. nothing happens! save your time, save your money, dont bother!

11. GregNickRyanFan

^ Whenever anyone says a movie is "the scariest movie since the exorcist", that always makes me not want to see it. What I saw of the exorcist wasn't scary. Anyway, that's why the critics said about "The Ring" and that movie sucked big time. :lol: I'm waiting to rent Paranormal Acitivity. That way I can ffwd during the long waits for something to happen. :lol:

12. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Just saw Where the Wild Things Are and I really liked it! :)

This movie really portrays the perspective of a kid well- especially the perspective of a troubled kid. I totally had to ignore my "adultness" a couple times, and stop thinking, "Why would he do that?" and just try to imagine the logic of a kid and the choices/actions he might make. And the Wild Things were just fantastic. How something can look so real and so unreal at the same time... amazing!

Anyway, obviously this movie is not for everyone, but if you a) tend to like the weirdness that is Spike Jonze, and b) want to see something really different, then I'd say go check it out! :)

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

you will seriously see less than 10 minutes if you do this! :lol: absolutely nothing happens. usually these movies about demonic possession freak me out (i will never watch the exorcist again!) but i dont see what is scary about a door slamming. that is why the entire trailer is audience reactions, because they have no footage from the movie that could make a trailer!

eta: forgot to review the second movie i watched! i thought i would try again with the scary movie and watched trick r treat. this movie was so confusing! there were like 25 different storylines with 4 differet killers, so you never really see a particular story for more than 5 minutes at a time. i have no idea what the point was, you never saw any character long enough to really care what happened to them.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  14. GregNickRyanFan

Trick 'r Treat is an anthology (I think that's the right word lol) type of movie. It says on the menu (and I didn't see this the first time I watched it- I watched it twice lol) "4 stories of terror". It's kind of like the Twilight Zone movie or Tales From The Dark Side.

15. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

all you guys talking about Halloween movies... i feel so left out! the only "halloween" movie i really watch are the original Amityville Horror movie and the remake (the original was filmed in my town). AH is the only horror story that is interesting and makes sense to me horror films have some of the worst stories ever but they're fun to watch for a laugh.

anyway.....

The Black Widow- very good film noir movie. Ginger Rogers, Van Heflin, and Gene Tierney are in the movie. Ginger Rogers is fabulous as an actress who thinks she's hot shit. it's a good story and it has a good twist throughout the whole movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.