Review The Last Film You Saw ~ Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defiance I remember wanting to see this movie when i saw the previews but it was one of those movies that slip your mind and you totally forget about untill you see in on the shelf of the video store. So i rented it and i will tell you i plan on buying this amazing film as soon as possible!!!

Defiance tells the story of the Bielski brothers who were a group of Jewish Partisans during the Nazi rein of World War II. The boys, rather than living in the Ghetto and waiting for death, head toward the woods that they have become familiar to them in childhood.

Based on a true story that is unknown to many. Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber give amazing performances. The lenght may be an issue for many (it's a 2 and a half hour long movie) but there is just enough violence and an amazing storyline to keep you attention.

4 out of 4 stars

X-men Orgins Wolverine- I put off see this movie as long as possible, don't get me worng I'm a HUGE marvel comic fan and enjoy comic book based movies, but the critics totally slammed this movie. They called it the summers most disapointing blockbuster.

Were the critics and I watching the same movie?? It was beyond amazing, the visual efects were a little chessey in some places (ie: Wolverine slicing and dicing the fire escape.) Liev Schrieber was great ( I may be biased, i love me some Liev). All in all a really great movie

3.5 out of 4 stars

Tyler Perry's: I CAN DO BAD ALL BY MYSELF really good, more sad then I thought and poignant, not to give anything away, but Madea and her low-life bro. weren't in it as much as other Madea movies, although one scene when Madea was telling the little girl about god and the bible, brilliant, we were cracking up, she was mixing up the Peter and Jesus and Jonah and the whale with other stuff that had NO relation what-so-ever to the bible:lol: classic and I've never seen one scene so hilarious, Tyler Perry is in fact a genius. He writes, produces, directs and stars in this flick. The main girl Taraji P. Henson I'd never heard of, but she was amazing, really dramatic and riveting performance. And the stars such as Gladys Knight great blues voice and Mary J. Blige were wonderful. The there was Adam Rodriguez from CSI/Miami.. drool:p wow what a charmer, and good actor the good guy in this movie. I might watch CSI/MIami just to see him and handsome too. Good movie, go see it~

I just saw "9", and while it wasn't exactly what I thought it would be like (although truthfully I'm not even sure what I was expecting) I still thought it was really well done, interesting, and pretty action packed, as well. The CGI or whatever they call that these days(?) was very cool. If you like these sorts of fantasy based dealios, I'd recommend this one. :)

Wild Reeds- some may know this film by it's French title Les roseaux sauvages, i stumbled upon this film on Saturday night on Ovation. It's a coming of age story of 4 french teenagers.
Maite- she is a member of the communist party, she is left depressed after her mother suffers a breakdown due to the death of a former student who asks her help in going AWOL from his military unit. She has a wicked view of the female/male relationship as many children of divorce do.

Francois- Recently finds his attraction to males a little more then just experimental and must deal with the sexual feelings he now expresses toward his friend Serge.

Serge- Loses his brother in the war and must now deal with family responsibilties.

Henri- Struggles with the fact that he is uncaring about almost everything in his life. Finds a weird attraction to Maite.

2.5 out of 4 stars

Final destination 1-Watched this today for the first time in about 5 years, felt the urge after seeing the new one. Definatly my fave of all the FD movies, the deaths are actually more shocking, not as gory but less expected and more effective due to the overuse of CGI in the new films.

Also, the characters are a little more likeable than in the other films as they bother to show actual reactions and emotions to situations rather than just "oh no they died, youre next". The woman who played the teacher was particularly good.

Another point, tho the acting is questionable in all the films, lets face it the films arnt really about stellar acting performances, but this one definatly has the most convincing performances. Seann William Scott and the guy who played Todd made their characters pretty likeable people and Kerr Smith also put in a pretty good performance.

Sadly I think the FD films are declining in quality with each film, if the recent one wasnt in 3d it would have been a pile of toot. If anyone has seen the others but havn't seen the first I would deffo recommend it, the deaths will seem slightly underwhelming compared to the others but there's more explanation into deaths design and a bit of character development which I think makes the film more enjoyable.

Ice Age 3 - LOVED it!!! It's such a cute movie, just as the other two. I really like Sid's German voice which makes him so adorable. And there were a few scenes which almost made me cry *hides* I am such a baby, I know...I liked the new characters and the story. The "2nd world" underneath the world of Sid and friends was a bit unrealistic (surprise, surprise). All in all it was a nice watch.

ZOMBIELAND: wow. lol I actually really really loved this movie. Woody Harelson was fantastic, it was a really light movie, but so enjoyable! I highly reccommend it. Hilarious.

CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY: again, wow. I've always been 50/50 on Michael Moore's work, but this movie sold it. I would say it was about a good 27 mins too long (127 mins), but it was extremely well done, and it talked about some serious issues and got some serious answers. It really hits the point home. Definitely one of the best documentaries I have seen in a looong time.
I can definitely tell there are going to be mixed reviews on this though ...

I really want to see both of those^^^.

I forgot to mention that I went to see Pandorum last weekend and it's really, really cool. A lot of people are comparing it to Aliens meets The Descent and I'd say that's a dead-on description.

Great performance (again) from Ben Foster. I think he's one of those best-kept-secret types of actors. I haven't seen him doing anything yet that I haven't thought was an excellent performance. And Dennis Quaid is quite good in this one as well.

I will say I'm not sure I liked the ending, but that's the nature of these Sci Fi films- either you like the ending or you don't.

Anyway, if you liked The Descent, I'd definitely recommend checking out this film. It's just as gritty and visceral as that one, and possible even more compelling to watch- I couldn't take my eyes off the screen (except when I turned around and told these 2 kids to shut their fat yaps! I hate when people talk in theatres at the same volume as they would in their living rooms! Dummehs).

Definitely destined to become a cult classic... for those of you who can handle the gore. ;)

Fast & Furious. I had seen the other 3 movies, and thought I just had to see the fourth movie too. I never liked the other movies (with an exception for the third movie, Tokyo Drift). But this was alright. Just wish there was actually a story too. Not only action all the time. I liked the end, just because it was quite surprising

Zombieland- hilarious and disgusting at the same time! :lol: Woody Harrelson was hysterical, as was the kid who rides along with him. There's an awesome cameo in this one too.

Overall, just totally hilarious and very entertaining, as long as you're not particularly squeamish. ;)

The Informant! - I didn't really like it. My sister decided she and another friend wanted to go see it, so I said I'd come too. It seemed like it was going to be rather funny from the previews. Yeah, it wasn't really. At some points it was good, but at others it was confusing and kind of boring.
I kept trying to figure out why our theater didn't turn the lights completely off like they normally do, but about halfway through the film I realized it was because we'd all fall alseep if it was dark. I was actually considering playing tic-tac-toe on the popcorn bag at one point...
It probably was a good film, but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't anything like I thought it was going to be.

Surrogates

Of course I go to see Bruce Tha Man... It was not bad, but not wonderful either. Kind of enterntaining to watch, even tho I think it was bit short and they could have devloped bit more of the story. I thought it would be more action-explosions movie but it wasn't. Yay.

i forgot my dvds at home so i went through my roomie's collection and found The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood.

i haven't seen that movie in so long it's so good. Ashley Judd is fabulous one of my fave performances from her. Maggie Smith as an old southern lady is hysterical. my night was made watching this movie b/c Jacqueline McKenzie from The 4400 was one of the Ya Ya's when they were younger. i've never seen her in anything else so it was cool to see her in the movie.

Just watched "Knowing" with Nicholas Cage who, let's face it has pretty much one character he can perform these days. And yeah, he's that same guy in this movie too! :lol:

However, this movie wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was still entertaining and managed to keep me interested. I didn't totally expect the ending either, which is always nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back