RENT

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Athena, Feb 22, 2006.

1. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

*high fives Emily*

Woot!!! Another RENThead to add to the fray!!!

Rumour has it that the show is coming back to my town next March, if it turns out it is, I will be going with a bunch of people from an LJ community I belong to, and rushing for tickets for the WHOLE WEEK. WOOT!!!

And don't even get me STARTED on Taye Diggs. I want HIS children. Only I think Idina should have them, because then they'd be REALLY hot. I just want to jump his bones because he's the hottest thing God ever blessed this Earth with.

2. speedmonkey2

speedmonkey2 Head of the Graveyard Shift

lol. Well someone seriously like Taye Diggs. lol.

I like Idina but not so much Maureen if that makes since. Just like when she's like "There's always buzzline." and then she smacks on that chip that drives me crazy. And the whole Over The Moon part kinda got on my nerves. But I did LOVE IT when she was like "There will always be woman in rubber flirting with me!"

And one of my favorite parts of the movie is when Marueen's mom turns to Mark and says "Maybe now you two can get back together." and Mimi says "Wow!" I just love that and when Collins does the whipped thinger that cracks me up everytime.

3. iluvroadrunner

iluvroadrunner Pathologist

"There Will Always be Women in Rubber Flirting with me" was my icon for the longest time, before i switched to this pretty flack one.

i love maureen. she's my freakin idol. "Over the Moon" is way better in the show than it is in the movie.

but i do love that part with maureen's mom. i laughed so hard.

4. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

I LOVE MAUREEN!!! She's BY FAR my favourite character!!! My friends joke that she's ME. I'm the exact same way, in fact, I sometimes get up on a chair in the foyer where my freinds and I hang out, and I'll do Over the Moon with my friends doing the backup voices. Sometimes teachers give me strange looks, or the cool ones will clap.

For the "now maybe you two can get back together" line, they shot like 10 different reactions, with different people, but in the end, I think Mimi's "WOW." is the best thing ever.

My other favourite little bit is when Collins yells "Merry Christmas, Bitches!!!" apparently Jesse said somethign different for each take, and I kinda wish they'd used the take when he said "Happy Kwanzaa, Crackers!!!"

5. 915

915 CSI Level One

:lol: I bought the movie, and I've watched it so many times I'v memorized every song in the movie. :lol: The funny thing is that I got both my little sisters into it too. One of them is almost always singing "Out Tonight" eveytime she is around me. Now that I've seen the movie I want to see the show really bad.

6. iluvroadrunner

i saw the show not on broadway *grumbles* but when the tour came to town near me. i went with a bunch of friends and we were all the way up in the nosebleeds but we had so much fun. i was singing every word.

7. speedmonkey2

speedmonkey2 Head of the Graveyard Shift

Oh, I love the "Merry Christmas, Bitches!" line and then at the end of the movie I thought it was kinda rude but kinda funny at the same time when Mark said "Hey collins, don't get beat up this time." and threw down the keys.

I still can't pick a favorite character, its just to hard. But Angel would have to be one of them.

Collins: You gonna put the trash can back?
    Angel: No

I love that scene!

8. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

Collins: You're drunk, baby.
    Angel: No 'm not.

I love Angel.

I want to get "Forget Regret" tattooed on me somewhere, somewhere where it doesn't hurt TOO TOO much and that won't stretch horribly over time, but where I can easily hide it. Any ideas??? I might just go with back of neck if I can't find anywhere else.

9. screamingpoet

screamingpoet CSI Level One

I can't get "Out Tonight" out of my head right now.

10. iluvroadrunner

love angel. she's fabulous.

and i will always call her a she. i do not care.

in the deleted scenes though, if any of you looked, i really loved the alternate ending. i wished it had been the real one for the movie, because it tied in the beginning to the end, and brought the movie full circle, you know?

11. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

the alternate ending is the same one they do on Broadway, it's a good ending, but I like the other one better. I mean, it does pull you out of the movie too early, and it gives you a false sense of security.

It makes you feel like "Oh, Angel's okay, he's alive." When the hard, cold reality is that he's not.

I dunno, just my opinion.

I only refer to Angel as She if I'm talking about a scene where he was in drag, if not, I go with He.

12. screamingpoet

screamingpoet CSI Level One

madgeorge -- is that Elphaba in your avatar?
    who made it?

13. iluvroadrunner

^^i didn't see it that way. it draws it back to the stage element of the show, you know. with the minimal set, and the switching of characters, it always has given me the impression of being a play at heart, and just that.

the movie opens with this great staged number, not showing the characters themselves, but the actors who are going to play them, and it should end that way too. it gives it closure.

that's what i think, anyway.

14. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

Very astute!!!! It is indeed Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West!!!

And to answer your question, I made it, :D Wicked icons are my specialty lately. I've made about a zillion of em, lol

and with more regards to the ending. I really love both ending, I just think that since Seasons of Love is in the wrong place in the movie, doing the ending the same way might also have felt a little out of place, but I do like that one, :)

I do, however, feel that the other ending, with Angel coming out, takes you out of the film a little too early, like I said, for ME, at least, it would have given me that false sense of security, and made me feel like Angel was okay and that he was alive and well. Although I do like this ending when they do it onstage, since it IS the stage ending, having Angel run out to join his place in the line during Finale B, I think that in the film it does sort of trivialize the AIDS crisis that is taken so seriously throughout the film.

But we can just agree to disagree, :D

15. Laetri

Laetri CSI Level One

I liked the other ending with them all singing but I felt it would have been more powerful if Angel's spotlight had been left empty, like they are not quite whole.

Me and my friends are going to go as the RENT people for Halloween, we are going to get a bunch of people together. I am Maureen (I can MOOOO the night away) and my friend Silver is going to be Angel. I don't know what other parts will be who but we are going to go around singing the songs.