Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

CSI slipped a lot last week, dropping down to third for the first time in a while. Dancing with the Stars did better than CSI. I guess this sends the messages to the writers that they need to have more appealing episodes than 'Double Crossed' or else people will turn off their televisions

Is it just me or... it's like, how many shows would really be that upset with second or third place? Yes, CSI was once number one and for whatever reason - Grey's, GSR, age, spinoffs, ripoffs - it has lowered in number of viewers. But 20 million... can that really be considered bad?

Especially when kept in the context that CSI is mostly watched by men, and at the same time a preliminary world series game was going on?

I realize that doesn't explain the previous episodes, but still.

In my opinion, Season 7 is far better than season 6. Even if Double-Crossed was slow in its pacing, it made me care for the victims and the suspects - something I rarely feel in CSI. We're getting that sense of team again, like with the locker room scene at the end of Fannysmackin'... I don't know. It just feels like CSI is back on its feet from where it lost its balance with the splitting of the teams.

And if it's second or third place, well... I just can't muster up enough energy to care at this point. It's entertaining me, and it's managed, after 6 years, to still have a ton of personal storylines to tell. On top of that, the cases are still the most prominant part of the episodes... it hasn't dissolved into ridiculousness, and ridiculousness has threatened the show in the past.

So... I guess second or third is okay by me if it means that it causes that carrot to be ever-dangled in the collective foreground of the writer's room. Because whether they want to admit it or not, they're brewing more interesting storylines because of the competition.

I think most people wouldn't care if the show went second or third or whatever.. but CSI being beaten by Dancing with the Stars?!?! ouch. And they suddenly slipped 18 million households.. another ouch.
CBS cannot afford to be second or third place. If they didn't care, why else would they bother to gloss over their real standing in the ratings (they're gloating about how they went to a 'virtual tie'/second in the 18-49 demo blah blah) in their press releases.

I happen to believe season 6 was far superior to season 7, so I'm not suprised there has been such a plummet in the ratings. Supply and demand. Viewers demand intense, captivating episodes, and TPTB have yet to supply one this season.

I had high hopes for Fannysmackin, but it just didn't do it for me. It was the best so far, but still...I wasn't very impressed.

The first half of the season seems to be shot to Hell. Hopefully the second half of the season will be an improvement.

I think CSI is being rushed to fit alot of drama in a few episodes. That's my personal opinion. Like the BTK episodes for example. The second one had Catherine nearly raped, her daughter kidnapped, and then her father gets kidnapped. Don't ya think that should have been spread out a bit...almost creating anticipation as to what might happen.

As far as Grey's Anatomy...I will admit that I have watched every episode of season 1, season 2, and now what has aired for season 3. I'm kind of getting to a point in season 3 of this show...where I'm getting slightly bored. I'm sick of the Meredith/Derrek thing already. Either put them together or not.

I do love CSI though...and I think this season has incrediable potential. HOpefully...things will turn around. :rolleyes:

In My Opinion When they are in the top 10 they are doing great, when they are in the top 5 they still have it within them to prove they have an awesome show.

the big question is will they do what is necessary to prove they still have it?

I think most people wouldn't care if the show went second or third or whatever.. but CSI being beaten by Dancing with the Stars?!?! ouch. And they suddenly slipped 18 million households.. another ouch.

I don't know where this 18 million figure came from, but CSI averaged just over 21 last week.

In My Opinion When they are in the top 10 they are doing great, when they are in the top 5 they still have it within them to prove they have an awesome show.

Agreed. Personally, I thought Fannysmackin' was brilliant. And while Toe Tags wasn't great, it did prove that there's still a lot of fun and experimentation left in the writer's room.

Compared to the first 5 episodes of season 6 (Bodies in Motion, Room Service, Bite Me, Shooing Stars and Gum Drops), only Gum Drops was really worth a second look. Double-Crossed, BTK2 and especially Fannysmackin' were all well-done episodes. So in that sense, I'd say that - so far - 7 is better than 6 was at this stage.

I definitely think that promotion played a part in the ratings. I know I saw a lot of promotional stuff for Grey's not just on TV and magazines, but around the cities where I live. There was a billboard advertising the return of the series. Grey's had a musical video staring the band The Fray as well. That's kind of huge. CSI did basically nothing. I think promotion gets people thinking about the return of the show and gets people wanting to watch it.

However, obviously people still watch CSI. 20 million viewers isn't a bad turnout at all. It's not like CSI is going to be cancelled because it slipped into third place in the ratings, you know?

CSI beat Grey's by 4 million viewers last week. It also won the demographic. Both were re-runs.

I am afraid that the reason that CSI is actually beating Greys now is because T. R. Knight outted himself, the ratings have been slipping since then. That is not a good enough reason to win just because someone is homosexual.

I feel bad that T.R. Knight was forced to out himself after the altercation between Dempsey and Washington. If ABC had any balls, they would cancel Washington's contract. That said, I'm glad that CSI beat Grey's Anatomy in the ratings because I'm that selfish.

I agree - and frankly, I don't think that Washington's character is all that interesting.

Having said that, T.R. Knight outing himself may not be turning people out. It could have been the fight itself. Or it could be the increasing silliness of the storylines.

But more than that, it's probably just that CSI is more re-watchable.

You look forward to an episode of Grey's because it's a soap - what will happen next? With CSI, I can watch an episode from season 1 and then a season 4 without needing any information to bridge the gap or really work that hard to figure out where I am. The seasons of CSI are very individual, but still stand-alone.

I do hope, though, that we see CSI rising a bit in the ratings, because this season more than ever, it deserves it.

Season 6 probably got a huge boost because of Grave Danger, and then every once in a while it would churn out a speculatcular one, but it sort of coasted all last year. All 5 of Season 7's offerings have been original and fun, even if they weren't as great as, say, Gum Drops or Roshomama.

Having said that, Fannysmackin' is probably one of the best they've ever done.

I used to watch both shows. They are not similiar in any way so I was watching each for completely different reasons. The curiousity is always going to be there when it comes to the Mer/McDreamy storyline. They will create a crisis for sweeps and for finales and folks will tune in. Success will be measured in the long run and I think Grey's will run its course sooner.

I live outside Chicago and every other bus and building have a Grey's ad on it. I haven't seen anything for CSI - not sure if that's good or bad.

And that's my two cents!

i think the reason csi beat grey's in the ratings last week was that the ep was from LAST season before all the changes. viewers who had tuned out may have tuned in for a week of the before csi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back