Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasmine

Jasmine Lab Technician

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

^yeah

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay we will leave this here for the time being but keep an eye on it, Since it reflects the ratings between the two shows and folks opinions on them. That should be where it ends, since Grey's Anatomy has its own thread in the "General Media" Forum.

3. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

actually, the 2nd weeks ratings depend on what numbers you look at. greys won in both demos 18-35 and 18-49 but csi won in total households.

myfuturecsi is right. someone was going to come along and topple csi from the top. and yes, i'm smiling about it but i honestly do hate to see it happening. csi had a lot going for it but chose to change its formula and that is where it went wrong.

add to that the fact that the crime show cycle is almost over, serials are the "new" thing and several strong 1/2 sitcoms are now starting up and things will get bleaker a lot faster than you guys expect.

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Also it depends if you are going on the fast national ratings which are usually not complete, or the complete overall ratings, which usually come in a day or so after an ep has aired.

I agree with the toppling, CSI did it for other show/s, its only natural that it would be bound to happen with CSI.

5. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

The fast ratings are incorrect, this is the site for the Nielsen Ratings compiled in the middle of the following week based on the People Meters. These are the final numbers, my advice is bookmark the page and look at it the following Tuesday or Wednesday to see the prior week, but CSI has yet to take down Grey's Anatomy so far this year.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/si...000880a260aRCRD

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well having said that..the one thing I observed from tonight's ep which I won't reveal anything but something made me think about what's gone wrong with CSI.

I think TPTB have forgotten the chemistry the original guys brought to the show. Instead of trying to cram everyone and their dog into one episode, let's get back to the original guys who made the show what it was. Grissom, Catherine, Warrick, Nick, Sara, Greg, Doc Robbins and Brass are the charactes that I want to see, not Joe Blow tech. I don't know why CSI keeps showing up needless scenes with the lab techs, the av, not that I want don't to see these guys, I just want to see the originals together more often.

Viewers' tastes are quite fickle. One day they like procedurals, the next serials, the next reality tv shows, the next sitcoms and so forth.

ER was a top rated show and had it's butt kicked by CSI in terms of drama. Will and Grace used to win the 9:00 spot until CSI came along. So eventually, CSI was going to suffer the same fate.

But CSI has had an amazing run the past seven years. Despite lack of awards from the showbiz community, it changed the face of TV. I think it even brought the IQ level of viewers up a notch. It used to be that TV execs used to think audiences were stupid and therefore create shows that catered to that level of stupidity-dumbing down is the proper term, but CSI proved that audiences were alot smarter then these exec guys thought. It's deductive reasoning had you guessing every week of who did what to whom.

So let's remember one thing. This show made and continues to make history. So let people enjoy the fluff of Grey's Anatomy. It's not a show that will have a stronghold in the TV history books as CSI will. That says a lot more then a mantle of Emmys.

One thing I will say about Grey's Anatomy. Eventually everyone will have slept with everyone and then what's left for the show? Just a thought.

Okay, I'm done. I'll take my soap box and go to bed.

7. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^^ Yeah. I was just going to say that. CSI has never won so far this season. It did win the total number of viewers in the second week, but Grey's won households (not sure about this one) and sharings (and this is for sure). Unfortunately the most important part in ratings is sharings. It's what the advertisers really care for. It seems that a lot of people were misled by the CBS press release about the ratings for the second week.

I watch both CSI and Grey's, but I still prefer CSI although I'm not as interested in it as I used to be. It's just when it comes to the ratings, you gotta accept the reality. I'm not saying that CSI isn't doing well. It's still one of the strongest shows, but it's also a solid fact that Grey's has won every week so far.

8. coolcatz

coolcatz Head of the Swing Shift

actually cbs is putting a spin on a lot of ratings this season. yahoo has an interesting article about how criminal minds was in a virtual tie with lost.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Like somebody said before CTV has the rights to both Greys and CSI so it works out perfectly for me. I just started watching Greys this summer in reruns and just started this season and though it's a good show it's not something im going to love and buy every season of. CSI is just one of those shows that you have unconditional love for in a way. The characters on CSI don't just have their history revealed we have to figure it out ourselves. Like someone said its a show thatmakes you think and thats what makes it so great. We watch it in Science class you couldn't do that with a show like Greys. Plus CSI is a show that applies to all ages and intelligence you learn something new each week. My last point is when you mention CSI almost everybody you've talked to has watched at least an episode here or there male or female and Greys I find the people I know less people watch it and know the main characters. The ratings don't matter too too much they're just numbers just keep watching the show and our show will continue on its great journey

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

we have to remember to take the ratings with a massive grain of salt, especially when its this close. like someone said, only about 30 000 people contribute to the ratings. thats 0.1% of the american population!! statistically speaking, that is a tiny sample size to extrapolate over the entire population. so the ratings are a very, very rough estimate and could be extremely far off from what everybody is really watching. maybe its just me, but when its that close, it doesnt really matter who is #1 and who is #2, it just goes to show you they are two very good shows.
    just keep watching, theyll keep making csi, and when january comes vote for it in the peoples choice awards! :lol: other than that, no need to worry ;)

eta: woops, need to correct my math mistake! :lol: 30 000 people is just over 0.01% of the american population, i was using canada, theyre a lot bigger than us! :lol: so its even less accurate than i thought

11. SciFiChick

SciFiChick Witness

Nielson ratings are a very antiquated system of measuring how rank up against one another. Alot of us I know have DirectTV or DishNetwork and those ratings sure don't count. All those Nielson boxes are mainly cable used. Off the air tv doesn't count and like allmaple said that's only on 300,000 people. I think I read that there are 30 million people in the U.S. Not a very good method of measuring view habits. Do Canadian viewers even count? Nielsen has alot of catching up to do when it comes to rating television shows.

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i doubt us cannucks count :lol: plus there are about 250 million people in the states, its canada that has 30 ;)

13. SciFiChick

SciFiChick Witness

Whoops you are right allmaple. Gotta clean my contacts. :)
    It's 300 million people in the US. Darned that's alot of people.

14. JangoBear

JangoBear Lab Technician

In the 18-49 category yes but CSI did beat it the second week in total viewers.

Ratings do matter but for CSI to still be pulling this strong into year 7 is very good. CBS knew they were going to have a fight on their hands but I think they underestimated how unhappy many fans were about different changes to the show.

Here in Chicago, GA advertising is everywhere too. At the 'L' stations, on the buses, on kiosks. There's none for CSI. The media is doing there part to promote the snot out of GA as well. If you didn't know any better, you'd think that CSI was this tiny little also-ran show that needs to be put out to pasture. :mad:

15. chocolate_bunnys

chocolate_bunnys Police Officer

Dont forget george and that one doctor(cant remember the name). Sooner or later they are going to run out of people to sleep with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.