Ratings: CSI vs ...

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Waiting, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

2. MissDee

MissDee Lab Technician

Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

I'm not optimistic like y'all... put me down for 19.6 million, bookie.

3. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I certainly shall, but just to remind you... you do know that Grey's will be a re-run on Thursday, right?

General reminder: bets can be changed until 6 PM Thursday night.

Those are the ratings - I've been posting audience numbers in the millions.

Only because I think the ratings are more for the advertisers, but sheer number of viewers is a more reliable resource when we want to talk about whether CSI has lost popularity in general, rather than just one sector.

Also, percentages can be skewered if there are a lot of popular shows on one night, as we have here.

mrb105 - 29.3 million
    Ilovebilly - 26 million
    Sarahvma - 25.2 million
    Adzix - 25 million
    Ziggy - 24.67 million
    Allmaple - 24.5 million
    DragonflyDreamer - 23 million
    greggoooo_fan - 22.4 million
    Miss Dee - 19.6 million

A quick FYI. If CSI's numbers rose the same amount for this episode that they did in the gap between episodes 6x09 and 7x10 for last year, the ratings would be roughly 20.7 or so. But the ratings went down hugely this year due to Thanksgiving, Deal or No Deal and Grey's, so I'm feeling optimistic.

ETA

Checking the Futon Critic's ratings for the week, here are my early projections for each category:

(These are just ratings and have nothing to do with viewership numbers, because it's just how each show faired on its given night against the others) I have no idea if any other show besides CSI was a repeat. Also please keep in mind that I barely understand this stuff. lol.

18-49's

1) Grey's Anatomy - 9.6
    2) NFL Overrun - 8.7
    3) House - 6.9
    4) Heroes - 6.5
    5) CSI: New York - 5.2
    6) CSI + Deal or No Deal + Criminal Minds - 5.0
    9) NCIS - 4.1
    10) Polar Express (movie) 4.1 - I don't know if movies go on Nielsen's final charts or not.

HOUSEHOLDS

1) Grey's Anatomy - 15.5/24
    2) NFL Overrun - 14.3/23
    3) Criminal Minds - 11.4/18
    4) NCIS - 11.2/18
    5) CSI: New York - 10.5/18
    6) House - 10.5/16
    7) Deal or No Deal - 10.3/16
    :cool: CSI - 10.0/15
    9) Heroes - 8.9/13
    10) Polar Express - 7.2/12

I am fairly certain that with the exception of CSI and Polar Express, all of those were first-run episodes. Does anyone know differently?

4. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

Ya I didn't realize you were doing the viewers. Anyways, I'm still thinking CSI: will do big numbers on Thursday, but I'd like to see my promo's for the episode like there were for "Happenstance," which did really well. I think if they promote a lot in the next few days it could do real good.

5. IloveBilly

IloveBilly Police Officer

i hope mrb105 win the bet!!

6. brass_lives

brass_lives Prime Suspect

I'm going to guess 21 million. But I hope I'm underestimating the viewing public's ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

7. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

mrb105 - 29.3 million
    Ilovebilly - 26 million
    Sarahvma - 25.2 million
    Adzix - 25 million
    Ziggy - 24.67 million
    Allmaple - 24.5 million
    brass_lives - 21 million
    Miss Dee- 19.6 million

Agreed. These are weird times for ratings.

It sounds, FYI, like Kristin of E! is going to start doing Ratings Decoder again, but I don't know when she'll be kicking that off, so we could, unfortunately, end up waiting a while for the results like last time.

8. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Since I imagine a lot of people get overwhelmed by the long charts, I'll shortlist this one for Grey's Anatomy.

CSI (repeat) final ratings: 10th place in ratings and viewers

Grey's Anatomy (new show) final ratings: 1st place in ratings and viewers (by a handy margin of about 3 million)

Compared to fast nationals, CSI gained 1.1%
    Compared to fast nationals, Grey's lost 1.2%

Grey's Season 3 vs. Itself

Episode 10: 24.01 million viewers - 22.9% gain

Average week-to-week change: -0.78%

Grey's episode rating average for this season is: 21.97 million

Compared with the re-run of Dog Eat Dog (16.83 million) which went up against a re-run of Grey's, the re-run of Toe Tags which went up against a new episode of Grey's (16.077) lost 4.5% of that previous re-run viewership.

Grey's New vs. CSI Repeat
    Grey's beat CSI by 33.0%

(Note: I'll do the same thing for the Grey's re-run, and then I'll compare the two shows' repeats against each other, and their new numbers.)

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Bets are currently at:

mrb105 - 29.3 million
    Ilovebilly - 26 million
    Sarahvma - 25.2 million
    Adzix - 25 million
    Ziggy - 24.67 million
    Allmaple - 24.5 million
    brass_lives - 21 million
    Miss Dee- 19.6 million

Anyone else who wants to vote, you can do so until 6pm tonight!

10. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

CSI was number one in both demographics last night.

While CSI's re-run last week scored the number 2 spot for the night, the re-run Grey's put up came in 5th for this week.

So here are the fast nationals for last night. Not as good as I was expecting, but good for their overall season (the second-highest rating).

Unfortunately while the Futon Critic had the fast national numbers up this morning, it has since, (for some reason) taken them down. Reuters usually has them, but hasn't posted yet. So I'll let you guys know who won the actual bet when I have them.

11. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Try Zap2it.com they have the FNR. its headline reads: CBS Murders Thursday Competition

Since Zap2it doesn't ask people not to copy them as the futon critic usually does.

12. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Yeah - I needed the physical audience numbers.

I have them now - luckily I sent them to my e-mail because I knew this would happen. lol.

Okay, the fast nationals are:

So the winner is:

DragonflyDreamer

*parade*
    *balloons*

lol.

And yes, you can start placing your bids for January 4th if you're that crazy.

So... I'll minify the charts. Keep in mind, of course, that CSI's fast nationals tend to go up quite a bit when it comes to final numbers. I think one week they even rose by almost a million. So... they may beat Grey's yet.

But not this night. lol.

Final Numbers:

Grey's Anatomy 24.01
    CSI 23.72

CSI Season 7 vs. Itself
    Season 7 Premiere: 22.58
    Episode 9: 17.171 - 28.8% drop
    Episode 10: 23.72 – 27.6% gain

Average: 21.63
    Average week-to-week change: 0.49% gain

Compared to the premiere their numbers are UP: 4.8%

Grey's Season 3 vs. Itself

Premiere: 25.4 million viewers
    Episode 9: 18.509 million viewers - 11.5% drop
    Episode 10: 24.01 million viewers - 22.9% gain

Average week-to-week change: 0.33% drop

Grey's episode rating average for this season is: 21.97 million

Difference in ratings averages between the two: 0.34

CSI Season 7 vs. Grey's Season 3

Episode 10: Grey’s beats CSI by 1.2%

Grey's this season has beat CSI seven times (not including the repeats) and beat them by an average of 5% when it beat them.

CSI beat Grey's three times with an average of 4.5% when it beat them

CSI Season 7 vs. CSI Season 6:

Premiere of Season 6 - 29.02 million
    Episod 2 - 28.00 million
    Episode 3 - 28.85 million
    Episode 4 - 28.34 million
    Episode 5 - 28.48 million
    Episode 6 - 28.73 million
    Episode 7 - 29.55 million
    Episode 8 - 28.98 million
    Episode 9 - 25.72 million
    Episode 10 – 30.945 million

Average: 28.66

Premiere of Season 7 - 22.58 million - 22.2% drop
    Episode 2 - 23.77 million – 15.1% drop
    Episode 3 - 21.51 million – 25.4% drop
    Episode 4 - 21.58 million – 23.9% drop
    Episode 5 - 20.49 million – 28.1% drop
    Episode 6 - 20.53 million – 28.5% drop
    Episode 7 - 20.83 million – 29.5% drop
    Episode 8 - 24.11 million - 16.8% drop
    Episode 9 - 17.171 million - 33.2% drop
    Episode 10 – 23.72 million – 23.3% drop

Average: 21.63

Average drop: 24.6%

Grey's re-run

10.5 million.

That's 34.8% lower than CSI's re-run from last week.

13. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

Not as high as I imagined. I think they did a lousy job of advertising this episode, I barely saw any promos for it. I'm unaware if Grey's will have an episode on the 4th, but if they don't that episode will probably do a lot better then this one if they advertise Grissom leaving, which I assume they will.

14. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Yeah, agreed. Grissom is a pretty big pull on viewership.

If this teaches us anything about ratings, though, it's this - 23 million people aren't tuning in each week to see one particular character or pairing. Nor is Grey's Anatomy CSI's biggest threat. Ironically, after the past two weeks it appears that the two shows don't really share the same fans.

What I find funny about the attempt to justify ratings is this: if it works to their theory, people will both argue that previews had something to do with it, but also the episode before.

Example: Everyone 'knew' that [some character] would be heavily featured tonight, so they tuned in. The reason that no one tuned in during this case when the same character was heavily featured was because some other character, whom no one likes, was featured the week before.

Doesn't make sense.

I don't think people tune into CSI based on what characters are in the previews or spoilers.

I think the vast majority tune in when they have the time, and the cases look interesting.

And - and this is an especially big and this year - if there isn't something else on they'd rather watch.

NBC is now airing a "Comedy Block" during the Grey's/CSI hour, and the portion shown during the 9-10 time includes The Office and Scrubs. Popular shows that average a few million each. The important thing to note is that Scrubs just started its season.

Either way - ratings? Not all that important.

I mean, if 25 million people tuned into the Grey's premiere to see who Meredith would choose, yet only 20.5 or so stuck around to see when she actually DID choose (Mer and McDreamy in the tub), then clearly Grey's storylines are not holding the same interest they once did. THAT is an example of a show where people look to see, in the previews, who is working with whom. Because it's a soap opera where EVERYONE is involved with someone else.

So if you know it's going to be, say, heavy MerDer and you're a Cristina/Burke shipper, you might go, "Nah".

Or perhaps the show is just slowly losing quality.

Yes, they got 24 million, but before that, their ratings were going pretty steadily downhill. CSI, at the same time, gained about 3 or 4 million (Thanksgiving ommitted for both), and voila - when they went up against each other the last couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, CSI won.

So... if CSI was the one that had jumped the shark, if people were revolted by one storyline or one pairing, no matter WHO was shown in the previews, people wouldn't necessarily tune back in. Those who truly hated the decisions made this season wouldn't devote a full hour of their life to a show they thought sucked.

When Buffy was really hitting rock bottom, I watched the first ten minutes, shook my head, and turned the channel.

15. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Guys I would just like to add it was mentioned that alot of the results on here for FNR came from Futon Critic if you follow that link you will see where it says on the site PLEASE DO NOT COPY OR REPRODUCE THIS INFORMATION TO OTHER WEB SITES, FORUMS, NEWSGROUPS, ETC.

So from now on please use sites that either state you can use the information or that do not have that sort of disclaimer. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.