Mac Taylor's Love Life *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 7, 2010.

?

Who do you want to see Mac Taylor with?

1. Aubrey Hunter

18 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Peyton Driscoll

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Stella Bonasera

66 vote(s)
    55.9%
  4. No one--Mac should stay single

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Mac can schtupp a couch for all I care

13 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Giving Mac a love interest doesn't automatically equal a sopa opera. If they just decide on a woman and go with it it doesn't have to be that way at all. And one of the reasons I never liked the idea of Stella with Mac was because I liked their dynamic the way it was. To me it was that of close friends and co-workers who had almost a familial connection and I didn't want TPTB to screw with that. But bringing on a new character opens up possibilities. I definitely don't want Sela Ward brought on to be nothing more than Mac's love interest. That'd be stupid. But if they have the right chemistry it could be a direction they could explore slowly and not have the problem of screwing up an already established relationship.

I certainly don't want them not to give Mac a love interest just to keep Mac/Stella shippers happy because they can't keep their ship alive without her on the show. That'd be ridiculous and confining for the show and very unrealistic for the character of Mac since he was never involved with Stella beyond friendship in the first place.

2. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

PA
    what if they decided to let him alone or having him starting an off screen relationship with Stella? Would you say this again? :D

Personally the off screen would work for me. A picture in a frame work, little smiles, phone calls (like those Stella received when she started her relationship with Frankie and Sheldon witnessed), emails,SMS, ANYTHING could work like a hint he is dating someone.It could drive people crazy because they would guess who got the lucky ticket :D and then at some point he could show a picture with both of them and Voilà! Smackies would be a little happier than they are now.Maybe not what they have hoped but at least a hint there is someone who still think about them and appreciate their support after all these years

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I think whatever they do with Mac's love life will depend in part on how much longer Gary Sinise will be around, especially if he is only contracted (at present) through the upcoming season. As some have mentioned before, they could tie some type of romantic resolution (choose whichever lady you like best :)) in with his exit

It's possible Aubrey might be back for a few episodes this season. It's harder for me to see Peyton showing up again, but that's because I can't think of a good scenario (case-wise) for bringing her back right now.

I wouldn't be surprised though, to see the showrunners pull back on the romance for a while until they really spend time establishing Sela Ward's character and figuring out the dynamics among the core cast.

I would be surprised to see them develop SW's character as a romantic interest for Mac. She doesn't quite fit the profile of Mac's previous lady friends and seems like she would suffer from many of the same criticisms and barriers that applied to a Mac/Stella pairing -- i.e., too cliche', too much focus on intra-team romance, leading man & leading lady together throws off dynamic of show, unprofessional supervisor/subordinate relationship, etc.). But stranger things have happened when it comes to tv shows. :lol:

4. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

I think this season probably gave them a good lesson; neither Messer family cheesiness nor Mac's lovestorylines doesn't make any better ratings. :p

5. PerfectAnomaly

If they choose to have him stay alone then I say that's fine. I've never liked the idea of Mac/Stella and I never will like it.

Being with Stella if she's off the show would be worse than if they had hooked them up while she was on it. It wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. They've shown Mac's personal life with Peyton and Aubrey so it would make much more sense to have him with a recurring character than someone who will never be on the show.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  6. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

The way they announced it to be handled though and made it the center of attention for spoilers made it one though. Peyton and Mac wasn't a soap opera, I agree but that was low key.

I don't think it would have to change because I've seen couple who have that understanding Mac and Stella have/had. To me they did represent a perfect relationship. A fairy tale maybe but then I have reality right outside the door, so fairy tales and perfect relationships are nice to have every now and then ;)

I guess they do need to think about what's good for the show... From what I've heard non-Mac-Stella shippers weren't too happy about that triangle because they wanted the focus to return to cases, Mac-Stella shippers weren't happy for obvious reasons. I don't think anyone who tunes in every now and then could care less about Mac's love life.
    Of course the ship can be kept alive without Stella of the show, it's called imagination. Certainly, it depends on what they do with her, it can't stay alive with Stella dead, although there's always tragic romance - which I'm not a fan of - but if they kill her I don't think Mac should have a relationship in the near future because that wouldn't make sense.
    And where's the problem if Stella was transferred for them to start exploring a new side of their relationship? They wouldn't have to deal with any policies. There's nothing unrealistic about that.
    But again, it all depends on how Stella's departure is explained.

Neither Aubrey nor Peyton were popular characters, Peyton even less than Aubrey. They might want to consider leaving Mac's love life alone for a while. Especially if they're getting Sheldon a love interest because that together with Danny and Lindsay and then Mac could be a little too overwhelming for the show.

Though everything aside, I don't need to see Mac with Stella as long as Mac and Stella's bond is not forgotten. I love that bond. I was fine with Peyton because Mac and Stella still had their extraordinary friendship.
    I minded Aubrey because that wasn't the case. Of course, Mac and Stella still had their friendship, however, the show seemed to ignore it for the sake of Aubrey. So that was what I wasn't happy with.

Although, on a side note, I have to wonder if my boyfriend had a best friend like Stella if I wouldn't be incredible jealous.

7. PerfectAnomaly

Why wouldn't it make sense? Stella and Mac aren't married. Hell, they weren't even romantically involved in the slightest. In fact losing a good friend could be a catalyst for Mac to realize his feelings for whomever he chooses and start a romantic relationship.

Melina is leaving the show. There's the problem. You can't have a relationship when only one of the characters is on the show. They can't show their relationship if Stella isn't there. IMO, it would be really stupid to hook Mac up with someone who can only be referenced and never seen or heard from.

I wouldn't say Peyton and Aubrey were unpopular either, though. They are recurring characters and don't take a lot of focus.

It's not confirmed Sheldon will get a love interest. He was supposed to last year and it never happened. They've already started something with Mac's love life and I'd rather them see it through instead of dropping yet another story line. If they give Mac a love interest who is a recurring character it won't overwhelm the show, IMO. Mac/Peyton never overwhelmed the show and was well done IMO. What they've done with Mac/Aubrey hasn't overwhelmed the show and has been well done so far IMO.

8. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I really hope they don't try to pair Mac up with Sela's character romantically.

9. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Mac & Stella are not Grissom & Sara. They do not have any romantic chemistry at all. At least with D/L even if you go all the way back to Zoo York (Lindsay's first appearance) Danny's obviously interested (the way he watches her) and within the year he asked her out and all - it's not like they were only friends for ten years then suddenly got involved out of the blue.

10. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

How ya been, you? ;):D

Two points.

Flirting & sexual tension are not unheard in a work environment. Flirting can also simply be banter, and have nothing to do with chemistry. My point is that the show never made either a driving dynamic. There is nothing canon about Mac and Stella other than friendship.

There was nothing in Mac's S6 romantic scenario that involved Stella. Triangle. Three sides. Twilit or not. :lol:. The story predictably poked along the lines of Nudge gimme a good soundbite, something I can write up sensationally, tongue in cheek or otherwise, it works for both of us" Undeniably part of the equation here. "What team are you on?" it asks. ...Gimme a f*cking break :lol:

I respect yer views, as always, but Mac being in a romantic relationship with anyone other than Stella is not by default "vomitive" (nor "Viral").

I like Mac. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of a very small handful who like Mac :lol:. But I also easily understand why Mac can get up one's nose, and some of the material he gets makes me wince.

Mac has had some great episodes over the years. He's also had many where he, and indeed all the team, have to me, been pigeon-holed for episodic functionality and predictably used.

I celebrate your celebration :lol:. Parallel parties can still be a good time. I'd certainly buy ya a drink, and encourage general mingling.

I agree. And me too.

That I completely get. And you and I have had discussions with Stella as our common ground. I know it's not easy. And in part why I were a wee bit worried for you...

...and this is why I get the impression you're still kicking dandyo ;)

What one likes and what makes sense do not always coincide as one and the same :lol:.

We happen to both coincide and differ on likes and sense, although our reasons may differ. :p.

:lol: :lol:. Excellent. Gets messy up there when off kilter. :p.

I think they have kept Mac's on-screen relationship material fairly low key. It's the off-screen promotional tactics that are filled with suds :lol:

I think the show's priority will be to address the character transitions, not so much add to Mac's list of options :lol:. I would be perplexed if Ward's character parachuted into show, in these circumstances, finding her feet in a new position of authority, in the midst of an already prefaced potential pair of relationships for Mac, and Be The One :p. Completely and utterly perplexed.

I think keeping Stella alive would be a good way to avoid alienating viewers they hope will follow the show to a new slot. I think keeping her alive would leave things open for the imaginations of writers and viewers alike. Questions might be whether they are interested in resisting doing up an uber-dramatic exit of mortally consequential proportions, what they can/want to do without MK participating on screen, and whether having Stella take her leave of the labs more quietly is somehow easier.

This.

I would happily borrow the words :p.

Voilà! ...Smackies are not teh only supporters of the show :p.

Personally, an off-screen continuation of their current friendship thru calls and stories of a coffee shared or the like, would work for me. That'd be about it.

More generally. Why limit the onscreen character's storylines. I'd rather the show had a bit more freedom in how they proceed than hem themselves in. And. An on screen recurring character can give the main character additional opportunities that playing to an unpartnered offscreen character does not. Family, romance, or otherwise. That's why it's nice to see them from time to time and not just hear of them.

This I agree with and think likely.

I'd not call the onscreen time that Aubrey and Mac had a soap opera. The promotional hype? Definitely. What made it onscreen? Not really. Peyton's return, equally well-handled.

(I'm not sure I understand how you saw Aubrey's presence on the show as somehow hindering Mac and Stella's interaction?)

Agree.

Also agree. I think having recurring characters works well in not taking undue time or focus, and maintaining a flexibility and fluidity for the show. The problem may sometimes lie in devising ways to include them.

Tricky in a procedural dabbling with small hints of genre in an episodic format. They've managed pretty well to create eps that work as stand alone and also augmented when seen collectively. Not a stellar series, but one that I've followed over the years for reasons I still don't know if I can articulate :lol:.

I think the roster of recurring characters that have made appearances over thru the life of the series have helped. Even the S5 3-ep guest mini-arcs were fun. (That's exactly how many eps Aubrey appeared in btw :p. Hardly overwhelming).

Agree it's possible, but not necessarily determinative.

Btw I believe Gary has been extended thru to a possible S8? That even though the show itself has not been renewed beyond this season, at this point.

Also depends on the availability in casting terms of whomever they choose to have Mac involved with, allotment of screentime, and stories developed that make it into the show. Mebbe they'll fit it in, mebbe they'll drop it. As several have said, I think the show has a lot on right now that may have altered the planned focus of some material. Guess we'll see how they work it all out.

Meh. *shrug* Lolz. It's now getting late. The couch looks increasingly comfy :lol:

11. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

12. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Hey El!!! :D

You have a point and i really hate you do:lol::lol: It's true nothing happened between Mac and Stella (if you don't count Grounds for deception ;) but I wouldn't use S6 as a measure. Stella was kept quite away from Mac compared to past seasons

I want a confirmation from the CDC! :lol:

True again. However if i wanted a serious relationship for him I would expect certain credibility. My objections come from the fact, after Claire and because of his real nature, he doesn't make bonds so easily, specially romantic bonds or commintments. Actually Peyton (V dear V:lol:) had to almost coerce him crying and blaming him because of the lack of development into their affair just in order to get some kind, any kind, of reaction from Mac.
    Watching Mac having weird behaviours, like a teenager, it tells me about how a character is forced to fit into a given storyline which i think it's a pity ;)
    And maybe it's not vomitive but for me forced sounds pretty much like unrealistic :D

I have never felt there was too much Mac :bolian:(mainly because i am so S1 fan!) EXCEPT in some specific episodes where less Mac would have been a benefit to the character and the storyline. In Season 6, we did have too much Mac and at the same time we didn't have much storylines about him like in previous seasons.

I mean, it looked like all characters had to receive wise words from him when Stella had connection with those same characters or even among them. For example, Don. He has been very connected to Stella for years but there wasn't any communication between them. Nothing. It happened the same with Danny when he could have received some advice, lecture or whatever from another character when his badge was stolen (well it was normal he received words from Lindsay because after all they are married :D

I really appreciate your concern but it's not necessary :D I am a mix between upset and sad. Sad because a great character was lost. A rich character source of rich possible storylines supported by an amazing perfomance :D
    I said in another thread, i loved Melina's past characters but Stella Bonasera was the best. She gave a depth to Stella, even since the pilot episode, that touched me inmediately. Maybe because she portrayed Stella at this point of her life where she has more knowledge of life :) and that's why i feel Stella Bonasera was so enjoyable :D

And i am upset because there were a bunch of question we will never get answers and that's why it bothers much as well

you should be a poet:lol:

Yes, having DL around won't help me to adjust. Actually it hasn't worked for last 6 seasons:p GAH to any scene between them, GAH to any line between them, GAH to any thought about them :lol:

I have to agree with you with all my heart on this. It's always easier to leave a door open than having a traumatic and mortal exit for the main female character. I mean, i loved Heroes and at that time it looked like the right thing to do because it provided all characters good scenes. However, I think would have been a good idea too to keep her alive just giving her the chance to come back. She had a great chemistry with all of them. And yep, i am quite biased. I missed Aiden working with Stella. They seem sisters instead of just colleagues. Stella remained quite isolated after she dissapeared until she started working with Sheldon and Adam on the field :D

i knew you would say that :lol: I support the idea of hearing about Stella time to time and, if we are lucky enough, to have Melina back from some episodes. Why do i think it would be convenient?
    Because in any other show i have watched before, colleagues, friends or family have asked about the missing character. Actually i remember David Duchovny on The X files (how many seasons away ? 2?) Mariska Hargitay when she had her baby, Roy Dupuis on la Femme Nikita (just because Warner didn't offer him to be in the first part of last season!)

As it was said before, Stella was the only one who could stopped Mac when he was out of line. If her exit is set as "temporarily" at the beginning,, i don't expect any change on Mac. But if that status changes and Stella receives a permanent change of location then i do think Mac should show some change on his behaviour.
    Imagine 5.06 without Stella in the middle to stop him or even Taxi :D

However i agree with you. Mac's possibilities shouldn't be limited. Reed should come back or even it would be nice to have her mom back as well :D
    Even to my own surprise, it really was :lol:

In my case I don't think she was there to hinder Mac and Stella's relationship/interaction but using past Mac/Stella scenes and replicate them into Mac and Aubrey's interaction, i dunno, i don't think it was too convenient (I got an A in Diplomacy:lol: )

Anyway this is gonna be fun to watch ;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  13. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

This is sort of what I meant. And why I've been saying Aubrey wasn't needed because it wasn't only that she was placed into scenes like Stella but also in other scenes like other characters. Thus my saying Aubrey wasn't needed and only in the episodes to push her into Mac's face so the triangle would work. :)

14. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Honestly I don't care which woman he gets. But I'm tired of him being single. Mac is a sexy man and should have someone. It seems odd to me that they haven't let him have much fun considering other crime dramas that have characters hooking up left and right lol.

15. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

It's a shame Jo Danville isn't a choice. If she were, I'd vote for her. As is, I vote for Peyton. I always thought they had great chemistry together. Even when Peyton returned in the season 6 episode Point Of View, that chemistry was still there. The real shame is that Peyton broke Mac's heart with her "Dear Mac" letter in season 4.