Love History?

I had my ancient history exam today. It was pretty easy. I loved the course though, can't wait for next years. It'll be a little bit harder because it's a university course, the course I took this year was an open course, so it was a bit easier. :) I want to be a librarian but I'd reaaaally want to do something with history too, (that's not a teacher), and I dunno what kinds of jobs there are. Hmm.

This thread had to be revived by the way. And a really awesome movie to watch if you like history (even though it's Hollywood's version) is Gladiator. :lol: I love it.

Hi, Luf. Thankyou for reviving the thread, I think it had sunk into oblivion!
Glad the exam went well. I had some strange thing at Uni where I actually enjoyed all my history exams. Yeah, pretty weird :rolleyes:
I thought Gladiator was alright. When it came out I was studying ancient Rome, and my Professor had a half hour rant about the inaccuracies in the film. I don't think he was impressed :) I thought it was ok to switch the brain off for a few hours.

LisaSimpson- I also like the French Revolution. Unfortunately not for a better reason than that I think its action packed :) Thats the kind of history I like, lots of events, one after the other that lead to some big impact. I'm not really one for social history.

I saw a leaflet about summer courses on Ancient Egypt the other day. I was tempted but then annoyed when I found out they had started last month :( I've never studied that time, and I think I would find it really interesting.

^^^ my dad also went on about the inaccuracy of gladiator, it was really funny, he got so angry! but i guess i'd be the same if the film was about industrial revolution/WWI.

i know what you mean about big events, i'm interested in those too, i just prefer looking at them from the angle of how people react to them or were involved with them. power to the people, i guess! i do lie big events in terms of how people think about them - for instance hiroshima/nagasaki interest me partly for the response of the japanese people but also to try to work out what the powers that be were thinking! i like events with thought processes behind them rather than just arbitrary ones.

egypt is a fascinating topic, there's so much of it and they were an incredible bunch of people to do what they did. i was so obsessed i even did a night course in how to read/write hieroglyphics, including the grammar and stuff. i can't remember any of it, sadly, apart from that all the little bird pictures are really hard to draw - they all end up looking the same when i draw them and they're meant to be different letters. the owl picture that represents M is a total nightmare to draw!

I love history i'm taking it for gsce and am definitly considering taking it in college and uni( if i get there :p)
and I love reading ww stories not neccesarily romantic but don't mind either way

when i was at community college i learned a little about the French Revolution in my Western Civ 2 class and it was so interesting. i had to buy a book on the revolution when i was researching the painting "Death of Socrates" by Jacques- Louis David for my research class. haven't read it lol. i probably will this summer some time.

right now i am totally into the ancient Romans. i took a class this past semester called Ancient Art in Italy with a professor i had the previous semester and it was so interesting. i have always been interested in the Romans and their art but after this class i love it even more.

at the moment i am also really interested in the history of film. last summer i really got into old movies and since then i cannot stop watching them. i just bought two books on "Casablanca" that goes into it's place and story during WWII, the characters and the actors. i've also been watching a load of Hitchcock movies and reading about them. a lot of the times it's not about the acting or story but how it was made with the technology that was available when they were made.

I love history i'm taking it for gsce and am definitly considering taking it in college and uni( if i get there :p)
and I love reading ww stories not neccesarily romantic but don't mind either way

do it, it'll be great :D

have you read all quiet on the western front? that's an amazing book. it was written by the "wrong" side (ie a german) but it pretty well sums up the experience of soldiers on both sides - and it's better than the film version of course:lol:

i didn't think i'd ever want to write about romantic fiction - i hate romance! it wasn't really intentional, i just kind of fell into it, i wasn't into the romantic aspect really apart from the bits where bloke decided woman wasn't going to marry him unless he was a soldier etc. some of those books were quite good tho, they were definitely easier to get through than the dry history journals.

at the moment i am also really interested in the history of film. last summer i really got into old movies and since then i cannot stop watching them. i just bought two books on "Casablanca" that goes into it's place and story during WWII, the characters and the actors. i've also been watching a load of Hitchcock movies and reading about them. a lot of the times it's not about the acting or story but how it was made with the technology that was available when they were made.

i like film history too - well, media history generally, i'm interested in newspaper history as well (this all ties in with my social history "thing" i guess). i've been doing a course on french culture this year and part of it was studying french film - specifically jean gabin and catherine deneuve and how they represented france, i really enjoyed that, gabin was a great great actor. we also did 'la haine' which is incredible, it's about as good a film as you can get if you're interested in the impact of the media both from a news perspective and a film perspective, it's just brilliant.

do it, it'll be great :D

have you read all quiet on the western front? that's an amazing book. it was written by the "wrong" side (ie a german) but it pretty well sums up the experience of soldiers on both sides - and it's better than the film version of course:lol:

i didn't think i'd ever want to write about romantic fiction - i hate romance! it wasn't really intentional, i just kind of fell into it, i wasn't into the romantic aspect really apart from the bits where bloke decided woman wasn't going to marry him unless he was a soldier etc. some of those books were quite good tho, they were definitely easier to get through than the dry history journals.

i like film history too - well, media history generally, i'm interested in newspaper history as well (this all ties in with my social history "thing" i guess). i've been doing a course on french culture this year and part of it was studying french film - specifically jean gabin and catherine deneuve and how they represented france, i really enjoyed that, gabin was a great great actor. we also did 'la haine' which is incredible, it's about as good a film as you can get if you're interested in the impact of the media both from a news perspective and a film perspective, it's just brilliant.
I havent read aqowf yet but have seen the film:) and i havnt read any war books in over a year but most are mine are like teenage books, although i did read the diplomats wife by pam jenoff but that not really a war book but it does have a mention of war and a soldier in it:lol:

I did History through to Uni. I think it makes studying so much better if you enjoy the subject :)
What do you get to do for GCSE? We did WW2, over and over and over again. And then I did it all over again at College :rolleyes: But I suppose I still enjoyed it.

I don't really read any historical novels. I think when I was studying History it would have felt too much like work.

What do you get to do for GCSE? We did WW2, over and over and over again. And then I did it all over again at College :rolleyes: But I suppose I still enjoyed it.

i didn't do either world war at all while i was at school, which seemed a little weird. i know what you mean about doing things repeatedly at school - i did the entire history of the monarchy at least two or three times. although it was quite interesting, especially the older bits with all the battles, as a republican i still want to overthrow the whole bloomin' lot of them!

I don't really read any historical novels. I think when I was studying History it would have felt too much like work.

i know what you mean - when i did my last degree (politics/philosophy/history) i pretty much stopped reading altogether, there was so much reading for uni that the thought of reading anything outside uni was too much like overtime. i only read magazines for about 4 years! my current degree is less bookish, it's a bit more practical, so i've got my reading mojo back :)

I did History through to Uni. I think it makes studying so much better if you enjoy the subject :)

I have 2 subjects on it one of it is at the moment hitler and the nazis and ww2 but we staring to study the cold war. and the other subject is medicine through time.

the cold war is an interesting one - i did it briefly at uni and got so bogged down in all the various parallels (the 38th and the 54th or something). my tutor for that was the bloke that told the press the truth about thatcher sinking the belgrano - i believe he got 5 years under the official secrets act. he was a bit of a hero for me!

i did medicine at school too, it's interesting - have you had the obligatory trip to the science museum's medicine section yet? it's really cool there. i did a bit for my degree too although that was more science in general through history - a lot of stuff about the 2 scientific revolutions (which are debatable), i loved it - i did essays on the history of psychiatry (something that was quite personal for me) and on the engineering of london's sewers which was unexpectedly one of my favourite topics!

the cold war is an interesting one - i did it briefly at uni and got so bogged down in all the various parallels (the 38th and the 54th or something). my tutor for that was the bloke that told the press the truth about thatcher sinking the belgrano - i believe he got 5 years under the official secrets act. he was a bit of a hero for me!

i did medicine at school too, it's interesting - have you had the obligatory trip to the science museum's medicine section yet? it's really cool there. i did a bit for my degree too although that was more science in general through history - a lot of stuff about the 2 scientific revolutions (which are debatable), i loved it - i did essays on the history of psychiatry (something that was quite personal for me) and on the engineering of london's sewers which was unexpectedly one of my favourite topics!
your tutor sounds more intresting than mine:lol: and i cannot wait to start the subject

and no havn't been to the mueseum hopefully will though:)

your tutor sounds more intresting than mine:lol: and i cannot wait to start the subject

it was this bloke (he taught me at swansea) - i was wrong about him doing time, but even so, good bloke, anyone who tried to undermine thatcher is good in my book :lol:
:lol:
and no havn't been to the mueseum hopefully will though:)

oh you must, it's great - i love the science museum :)
Well i hope i get to go;), but am going to berlin in two weeks for history 6 days of concentration camps and nazi germany its gnna be a depressing holiday:lol: but hopefully it will be good:)

Last edited:
which ones are you going to? i went to auschwitz (i assume you'll not be there as it's in poland?) a couple of years ago which was pretty bleak - i'm glad i went in summer, it was nice and bright, it must be a lot worse in the snow. it was weird tho, it was 30 something degrees, but even though auschwitz is almost all outdoors, as soon as you go through the gates, it's like everything goes cold, and you feel cold the whole time you're there, it's really spooky. also, seeing that train track with the gatehouse at the end was weird because it's been used as a setting for so many holocaust films, it's so iconic, it was weird seeing it in real life.

i went to the gulag memorial in russia on the same trip, which for me was equivalent really, even though there's nothing left of the camps now.

i'd love to go to berlin, i like germany a lot but i've not been to berlin.

Going to sachenhausen. I wish I could go to auschwitz I went poland years ago but my family didnt want to go, :( it feels a shame now. Were also going to the berlin wall and the wannsee conference room :)

Last edited:
Back