Love History?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by addictedtoSpeed, May 27, 2008.

1. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I also love Greek and Roman history.
    I have never studied Chinese history. I have done the French Rev, but that is it for French History.
    Being English, I really love English History- its good to see the connection with past events, how they have influenced your surroundings and the structure of your society.

I went to Rome a few years back. I loved it too :) Being amongst all those old buildings I had learnt about- fab!

2. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

My first glimpse of the Coliseum was like that. I just stood there with my jaw gaping. I was in awe. I really do recommend anyone go to Rome. Although, not in August. I pretty much melted from the heat!! :lol:

It's pretty amazing isn't it?! I love to travel, to see the places I read about and *be* right there instead of staring at a picture. I didn't get to see half the things I wanted to see. Partly because when I was there, I was with someone who was basically a storm cloud the whole time :rolleyes:. So I will definitely go back and see it all.

My dream is to one day see Petra. :adore: THAT would be amazing too.

3. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I'm like that with Washington DC. I absolutely love it and all the historical monuments. It's very awe-inspiring too. I was just there again two weeks ago. It never gets old or less daunting to see all that. I can't imagine seeing the Coliseum, I would probably just be mesmerized!

4. egeria

There's just something about history that's fascinating. And for me, the older the better!

I'm going to pm you with some cool pics. I just don't know if we can post pics on this thread so. I think you'll like them.

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Not just in August, trust me :lol:. Unless it rains, Rome is a very hot city.

Anyway, usually when you talk about a city from your country or anything else about your country, you usually tend to be very cynical and critical. Well this thing doesn't happen to me whenever I think about Rome. It is just one of the most beaufil cities of the world jut because of the history behind it. I've always been fascinated by Ancient Rome and its civilization. It was (well "is", if you consider the ruins too) just amazing :thumbsup:

6. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I don't see why we can't post pics. But please PM them then! I would love to see them!

7. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I don't have a problem with pictures being posted here :) I would love to see the pictures :)

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i went to petra a few years ago, it really is amazing!

9. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I bet it is, I have seen the pics and its looks beautiful. Definitely somewhere I would love to go.
    Egeria- I know what you mean- there is so much to see in Rome, I didn't do half. But at least my companion was into all the historical stuff! And we managed to get into the Vatican for free, which was a bonus!

10. egeria

Oh wow....wow wow...I'm sooo envious!

Anyway, here's a few pics of my trip to Rome. :D I'm so going back someday though. Someday soon!!

Inside the Forum. I just loved these random columns soaring up into the air...at night they would be lit up, standing against a black sky...it was so beautiful.

[​IMG]

The Colosseum as viewed from Via del Fori Imperialli. Absolutely stunning to see it in person and up close. Having only ever seen it in photographs it was breathtaking in real life.

[​IMG]

A view of one side of the Colosseum taken from the other.

[​IMG]

I need to find my original downloads as I never actually uploaded them to pb! These were for my bebo page but I have tonnes more :D

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i think i might have some photos from it still - my little brother and i decided to go all 'last crusade' and ride through the cliffs on horses. it was my brother's first time on a horse and he was terrified! he's since been galloping along the mongolian plains though so i think he got over it.

the colosseum was pretty cool i thought but for me, for sheer amazingness, nothing will ever compare to egypt - karnak temple, the pyramids but above all abu simbel which is the most incredible place ever :)

12. egeria

lisa it sounds like you've travelled a lot! I have yet to get to Egypt but Abu Simbel and Deir el-Bahri top my list of historical places I want to see.

I love the Ancient cultures, most particularly Roman and Egyptian. I can't pin down why they are so fascinating, and I don't think I'd want to actually live in that time period, but the history is amazing. What we know and what we've lost...combine to shroud the eras in a mystery that compels a thirst to know more, to see more and discover more.

I guess, history is kinda inspiring. Yes?

13. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

Im off to my Berlin trip on wednesday :) Hopefully it will be very history filled and exciting.

so from wednesday onwards i wont be on talk csi:(

but i will be back:)

14. egeria

Have fun meggzie!! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!

Another historical place I was at was Mostar, in Bosnia. It was such an interesting city and so diverse but the history was really fascinating. The way locals talked about it was so refreshing too, their attitude was 'it's in the past, we've moved on'....

15. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

Thank you:)