Love History?

lisa it sounds like you've travelled a lot! I have yet to get to Egypt but Abu Simbel and Deir el-Bahri top my list of historical places I want to see.

I love the Ancient cultures, most particularly Roman and Egyptian. I can't pin down why they are so fascinating, and I don't think I'd want to actually live in that time period, but the history is amazing. What we know and what we've lost...combine to shroud the eras in a mystery that compels a thirst to know more, to see more and discover more.

i know what you mean, i think for me it's that they are mysterious, because we can never know everything about them - we can study things as much we like but it's only speculation when there's hardly anything written down or even still standing. the other thing that i love about them is that (paradoxically) so much is still standing. when i look at modern (post 1900) architecture or engineering or building i can never be sure the buildings will last 20 years let alone 3000. i love that in a time that according to modern standards was "primitive" they outachieved us in so many areas. i guess that's a modernist view, that progress is all a con!

yeah, i have travelled a fair bit, i love it :D

^^ you summed up the reasons why i love acient Egypt and Rome. the Romans are my favorite to study because they were geniuses with everything. the fact that remnants of their architecture survives today is just amazing. i had a great professor for my Ancient Art in Italy class she made learning about the Romans so fascinating it got my passion for the art and culture going again.

in my History of Modern Art book there is a chapter on buildings that were build in the early 1900s-30s and most of them are gone they were torne down years later. modern things are build to last but many never do while all the ancient ruins are standing after thousands of years.

after European paintings i would love to study Ancient Roman art. i used to be so into Ancient Rome and Egypt when i was little, i still have all my books from back then. the greatest thing for me since my family or i don't have the money to travel is going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. their Egyptian Wing is breath taking it really feels like you're in Egypt and their new Greek and Roman Wing is so beautiful.

i plan on traveling though, i would love to study abroad. i would really like to study in Italy i'm really into the Renaissance and i like to learn about the Vatican. i'd also like to study in France or England.... England more so for the partying and the music lol.

^ well england is pretty good for those things :lol: i study in london now and it's great (although i don't do the partying so much now - when i moved here about 15 years ago i did!), but when i've finished i'd like to move to study in france :)

i like a lot of 20s and 30s architecture, and also a lot of british georgian and victorian stuff, and a lot of that is still standing (i live in a georgian cottage, it's absolutely lovely, it's listed as well which means it can't be knocked down), i think the problem is that in the modern age, tastes change very fast and so generations will happily knock down buildings from their grandparents' or parents' generation, they think those buildings don't have posterity or style. actually looking back, 1900-1930 buildings are often very stylish.

the nice thing about ancient stuff is that almost everyone agrees it's worth keeping. it doesn't really get affected by changing fashions like modern architecture does.

lisa it sounds like you've travelled a lot! I have yet to get to Egypt but Abu Simbel and Deir el-Bahri top my list of historical places I want to see.

I love the Ancient cultures, most particularly Roman and Egyptian. I can't pin down why they are so fascinating, and I don't think I'd want to actually live in that time period, but the history is amazing. What we know and what we've lost...combine to shroud the eras in a mystery that compels a thirst to know more, to see more and discover more.

I guess, history is kinda inspiring. Yes?

Egeria- great pics.
I really enjoyed Rome, such wonderful buildings. I agree, I wouldn't have wanted to live in those times, but it is inspiring what they managed to achieve.
I would love to go to Egypt, and see the pyramids. Unfortunately I ahven't travelled much, but I do try and get away for days here and there, and go to somewhere historical, so I dont do too badly :)

Hey I'm back missed everyone loads:lol: no talkcsi for a whole week was hard but i managed, anyway will tell you more bout it later when i have more time:)

same here, paris was lovely but the only csi i got was dubbed in french which was just plain wrong! saw lots of historical things while i was there tho - this was the coolest, i'd been meaning to see it for ages - mainly because i wanted to go on the roof! it's only 20 years old so i'm not sure history would normally cover it but the planning of it was so tied in with parisian history and its construction was certainly innovative, and it's a pretty impressive thing, i think it counts :)

click for bigger version :)

Hey I'm back missed everyone loads:lol: no talkcsi for a whole week was hard but i managed, anyway will tell you more bout it later when i have more time:)

Meggzie- hope you enjoyed yourself.

same here, paris was lovely but the only csi i got was dubbed in french which was just plain wrong! saw lots of historical things while i was there tho - this was the coolest, i'd been meaning to see it for ages - mainly because i wanted to go on the roof! it's only 20 years old so i'm not sure history would normally cover it but the planning of it was so tied in with parisian history and its construction was certainly innovative, and it's a pretty impressive thing, i think it counts :)

click for bigger version :)

Lisa- glad you enjoyed yourself. What is that building? It does look impressive.

Hey thanks solitaire i did enjoy myself but sisnt really enjoy the 20 hour coach trip there and back:lol: damn schools :p

It was great Berlin was amazing it was full of so many modern and old buildings that were just gorgeous. we visited the Brandenburg gate,the reichtag dome (which we couldnt go in:() We also went to sachsenhausen which wasnt as good as i though it would be as it was a memorial and they have made it more 'family friendly' for reasons i cannot think of:lol: it wasnt as good.
we also went to the wansee villa, the soviet war memorial, hitlers bunker plotenzee execution centre. resistance mueseum,stasi HQ,berlin wall and checkpoint charlie mueseum.

A lot as you can see:lol: will try and get the photos on later

Lisa- glad you enjoyed yourself. What is that building? It does look impressive.

it's la grande arche de la defense - when mitterand (i think) was in power he had these things called "grands projets" where he wanted to build new stuff for france. that was the big parisian project, it was based around the grand axe which is the long straight line that runs from the louvre through the arc de triomphe and out of paris to la defense (which is the business area) and he also wanted it to reflect the arc de triomphe, so they picked another arch. it's really impressive - i think they said it was 3 hectares high (which is just nuts) and it's a perfect cube with the middle popped out. i think scientists refer to it a lot as the only practical (as opposed to theoretical) example of a 4 dimensional object. it's pretty cool - it's on a hill so even the view from the bottom is good, but from the top you can see for miles.

Hey thanks solitaire i did enjoy myself but sisnt really enjoy the 20 hour coach trip there and back:lol: damn schools :p

It was great Berlin was amazing it was full of so many modern and old buildings that were just gorgeous. we visited the Brandenburg gate,the reichtag dome (which we couldnt go in:() We also went to sachsenhausen which wasnt as good as i though it would be as it was a memorial and they have made it more 'family friendly' for reasons i cannot think of:lol: it wasnt as good.
we also went to the wansee villa, the soviet war memorial, hitlers bunker plotenzee execution centre. resistance mueseum,stasi HQ,berlin wall and checkpoint charlie mueseum.

Sounds like you were very busy!
Whats a family friendly memeorial like then?
That is a very long bus ride- nightmare :rolleyes:

it's la grande arche de la defense - when mitterand (i think) was in power he had these things called "grands projets" where he wanted to build new stuff for france. that was the big parisian project, it was based around the grand axe which is the long straight line that runs from the louvre through the arc de triomphe and out of paris to la defense (which is the business area) and he also wanted it to reflect the arc de triomphe, so they picked another arch. it's really impressive - i think they said it was 3 hectares high (which is just nuts) and it's a perfect cube with the middle popped out. i think scientists refer to it a lot as the only practical (as opposed to theoretical) example of a 4 dimensional object. it's pretty cool - it's on a hill so even the view from the bottom is good, but from the top you can see for miles.

Ah, thats interesting. It does look good. Obviously not a s good as the arc de triomphe, but its a good modern take on those types of structures.

wow, 20 hours on a coach, painful! i did some long train rides in russia but at least on a train you get a bunk and you can walk around a bit!

i think the point was to do a modern version of the AdT, i think it worked actually. i climbed the AdT last year and when you stand on the top of it you can see the grande arche and it makes a lovely kind of symmetry.

^^
It was horrible we couldnt sleep and if we tried to get up we just got told to sit down again :shifty:

Sounds like you were very busy!
Whats a family friendly memeorial like then?
That is a very long bus ride- nightmare :rolleyes:

I was i was exhausted by the time i got home:lol: and the memorial basically took out all of the real gory details, which kind of ruined it really:rolleyes:

I did a joint degree in History and Sports Studies. I also did History at GCSE and got an A*. My favourite period of History is the World Wars but I also like the Egyptians, Victorians and Medieval periods of History. However I could talk for ages about the evolution of Medicine through time as I'm fascinated by it and it was in my GCSE syllabus.
I also can talk about sports history a bit, especially about the history of Manchester United F.C. I was allowed to do a piece of GCSE coursework on them as we were allowed to pick our own topics as long as it covered no more than 120 years.

I did a joint degree in History and Sports Studies. I also did History at GCSE and got an A*. My favourite period of History is the World Wars but I also like the Egyptians, Victorians and Medieval periods of History. However I could talk for ages about the evolution of Medicine through time as I'm fascinated by it and it was in my GCSE syllabus.

those are my favourite periods too. the victorian period is just fantastic - so much change. for my degree (in pols, phil & history) i did a course module in the history of science, which was fascinating, i really enjoyed it. have you been to the surgery/medical exhibit at the science museum (i assume as you mention gcse you are in the uk)? there's a really good museum of medicine at the wellcome trust in euston as well.

I also can talk about sports history a bit, especially about the history of Manchester United F.C. I was allowed to do a piece of GCSE coursework on them as we were allowed to pick our own topics as long as it covered no more than 120 years.

did you do the entire history or just focus on one area like the plane crash in '58? did you also cover newton heath or just MUFC? blimey, i'm beginning to sound like a man u fan. i kind of was as a kid but then i went off football altogether, in favour of more riveting pursuits like watching tippex dry :p ;)

Hi! :)

I just looked around here and I couldn't believe that found this thread! I'm so thrilled! :hugegrin:

I LOVE HISTORY! ;) I've loved since 7th grade (I'm high school senior now) War history is my special area :D I don't like culture and arts that much. :rolleyes:

I dunno really why I fancied to history. Maybe cause my first history teacher was awesome. :thumbsup:He really knew how to teach well and lessons were never boring.:lol:

For example. We acted WR I starting situation making alliances.:D We had a little piece of paper where was said should we accept that specific coutry to acciance!:lol: After it was easy to remember what the two sides were! Not to mention it was fun! Saying your classmates "No we don't want acciance with you guys!":guffaw: Of course "the real reasons" was studied in old fashiod way! "Notes!" :rolleyes:

In high school there was a new teacher, or not actually total stranger, cause secondary school and high school are on the same buildings so we know all the teachers.;) Well in high school history was at first though cause everything went so fast.:shifty:

Know there's four weeks and I have history matriculation examination in front of me!:cardie: I'm going in Cold War at the moment and I'm scared basically! :alienblush:

In future I'd wanna study history and religion together in the university only in my country getting there is really hard. Of course studing abroad would be my dream come true!:thumbsup:

Back