Love History?

CoachMom- Glad you had a great time. I think it is important that kids are shown places/objects that are important to our history. Means they will respect it more in later years.
I love history, and got a degree in it a few years back. I like most periods, but not economic history, They made us study it in my first year. The price of wool in 1429 doesnt really do it for me.
I went to the British Museum last weekend (in London- yes i'm a Brit) And it was fascinating. I really like ancient history so it was fab seeing the Rosetta stone the Parthenon freeze and all sorts of other artefacts from the ancient world. Definitely recommend it.

Izod1360- congrats, good luck with your course!

CoachMom- Glad you had a great time. I think it is important that kids are shown places/objects that are important to our history. Means they will respect it more in later years.
I love history, and got a degree in it a few years back. I like most periods, but not economic history, They made us study it in my first year. The price of wool in 1429 doesnt really do it for me.
I went to the British Museum last weekend (in London- yes i'm a Brit) And it was fascinating. I really like ancient history so it was fab seeing the Rosetta stone the Parthenon freeze and all sorts of other artefacts from the ancient world. Definitely recommend it.

Izod1360- congrats, good luck with your course!

After Dan Brown I would like to see the Roselyn Chapel....have you been?

Once I went to York and visited the Museum of The Vikings...It´s sort of ride that take you through a vikingvillage with all the sounds and smells of townlife....It was actually a bit odd. ..But an experience..

Last edited:
Ahh yes, the Jorvick Centre! I love York, I grew up not far away from there so I visit at least once a year. I went to the Jorvick centre with school when I was about 10. I thought it was great then, and loved the ride. Then when I was 17, or something, I went again with my Mum and sis and I wasn't as impressed. I think it is best for kids!
I havent been to the Roselyn Chapel. (actually- where is it?)

Ahh yes, the Jorvick Centre! I love York, I grew up not far away from there so I visit at least once a year. I went to the Jorvick centre with school when I was about 10. I thought it was great then, and loved the ride. Then when I was 17, or something, I went again with my Mum and sis and I wasn't as impressed. I think it is best for kids!

It is surposed to be up north ....I am not sure if it´s in Scotland?
York was a beautiful City and Edinburgh...

*LOL* once I went to Manchester UNI campus and the Taxidriver who drove us there said: You shouldn´t go left or right, both streets are dangerous.....WELCOME to Manchester .

Manchester (downtown) was ok...but one day we got lost and ended up in a place called Moss Side....:eek:.

Before any one asks ....The history of Manchester includes a mention of Moss Side. Both in recent time (positive) and back( Well.....)

Last edited:

*LOL* once I went to Manchester UNI campus and the Taxidriver who drove us there said: You shouldn´t go left or right, both streets are dangerous.....WELCOME to Manchester .

Manchester (downtown) was ok...but one day we got lost and ended up in a place called Moss Side....:eek:.

No slandering Manchester please!
I've lived here 9 years now. I did my history degree at Uni of Manchester and never left the city. The city centre is very nice. But Moss Side is a little dodgy. But I live in the estate next to it and I have never had any problems. (fingers crossed)

I agree Edinburgh is really nice to look around. I havent been for a few years but we went around the Castle and that.
And Durham. Beautiful, historical city.

So, AJBuckley- do you study history, or do you intend to? (I take it you are not going to Uni of Manchester ?)

No slandering Manchester please!
I've lived here 9 years now. I did my history degree at Uni of Manchester and never left the city. The city centre is very nice. But Moss Side is a little dodgy. But I live in the estate next to it and I have never had any problems. (fingers crossed)

I agree Edinburgh is really nice to look around. I havent been for a few years but we went around the Castle and that.
And Durham. Beautiful, historical city.

So, AJBuckley- do you study history, or do you intend to? (I take it you are not going to Uni of Manchester ?)

Hey....no slandering Manchester ....I agree.... As I wrote Manchester (Downtown;)) was quite nice....And there is this old city nearby where :

If walk the citystonewall you will get a wish.

do you study history, or do you intend to?

Well - nope - studying days are over.....Teached english for a while...part of curriculum is British - Irsh- American- Australien history. By the way am not teaching now, so spelling is way off and gramma:guffaw:.

What did you do with your degree? Are you working with history now?

Last edited:
^^ Thats ok then!

Unfortunately I dont do anything with my History degree. Bit of a shame, but I suppose that is the way it goes. I thought about teaching, but not sure it is for me. I currently work in a Library (I'm supposed to be doing that right now, actually!)

That's the problem with arts degrees- deciding what to do with them! I really enjoyed my degree though, and if I had to go back and choose again, I would do the same subject.

^^ Thats ok then!

Unfortunately I dont do anything with my History degree. Bit of a shame, but I suppose that is the way it goes. I thought about teaching, but not sure it is for me. I currently work in a Library (I'm supposed to be doing that right now, actually!)

That's the problem with arts degrees- deciding what to do with them! I really enjoyed my degree though, and if I had to go back and choose again, I would do the same subject.

Work at this hour.....I hope you get paid well:).

A Library - wow- what is that like?
Can you find me some good books?

As we are in the history Any bibliografies? I read some about Cleopatra and Ramses 3. And Alex the great ....Do you read? If so please join us in the booktread:).

Last edited:
Ajbuckly said:
As we are in the history Any bibliografies? I read some about Cleopatra and Ramses 3. And Alex the great ....Do you read? If so please join us in the booktread:).

What about Ceasar's biographies? Anyone read any of them? And where is there a book thread? I've never seen it, lol!

^ Here's the link to the book thread :)

You know I realized, for as much as I like reading and history, I can't say I've read too many books about history. I have a lot of books about history, but I've never read them sadly.
Wonder why...? I think I'll start though :)

Just jumping into the middle of conversation with a question. :lol:

I plan on being a librarian... I know, strange career choice but hey. You think history would come in handy with having that career? Or just be an extra knowledge type thing?

IMO history would help a librarian as an extra knowledge thing. You have to know so many things being a librarian (kind of a jack of all trades) history would help but being an all around book lover is the best.

Cool thing here. We might be getting new History books next year and I would get to help pick them out!! The one I use now was picked before I got here.

Fave history book so far? Band of Brothers.

Ajbuckly said:

What about Ceasar's biographies? Anyone read any of them? And where is there a book thread? I've never seen it, lol!

Yes, there is two great Cesar books out there in the real world.
One which is fictional but by true to historical facts. Where you read about his days as a general(?) in the army and his way to power.
But it is a bit back in my personal readingthread so I cann´t remember the titel. But we got a liberian and a teacher in fomurms, who mihgt have some ideas.
National Geografy Channel or Discovery sometimes has some great programs on historic events and personalities. IMO ...It is so great when they 3d - recreate some sights..... They did a 3d recreation of the greek acient city, where the colours came to life(Or look authentic) and the tourches were lid(?).

Last edited:
Work at this hour.....I hope you get paid well:).

A Library - wow- what is that like?
Can you find me some good books?

Unfortunately the pay is terrible. The Library is ok. My careers advisor told me to think in the short term when I left uni- so kind of drifted into it. I dont really read much to be honest. I was thinking recently though that maybe I should start.
Speedy Meg - I'm the same. Dont read any history books. I think after my degree I needed a break from the subject. and haven't gotten back into it since.

Just jumping into the middle of conversation with a question. :lol:

I plan on being a librarian... I know, strange career choice but hey. You think history would come in handy with having that career? Or just be an extra knowledge type thing?

IMO history would help a librarian as an extra knowledge thing. You have to know so many things being a librarian (kind of a jack of all trades) history would help but being an all around book lover is the best.

Cool thing here. We might be getting new History books next year and I would get to help pick them out!! The one I use now was picked before I got here.

Fave history book so far? Band of Brothers.

CoachMom - Thats cool that you can help choose the books.
Luf100- It depends on what kind of Librarian you want to be. You could work in an academic Library as a history Librarian. I work in a public Library and unfortunately they are dumbing things down. I think their overall aim is to have all the books in one room a-z and rent out the rest of the building to save money. They have steadily been getting rid of all the old Librarians who were wizzes with their subject and replacing them with people with no Library qualifications who are buying books they know nothing about. Sorry, rant over. Dont let that put you off, it does have good points :)

Hi gals and guy(s):).

I have a question for you:

Will we ever see a coexisiting world?

Granted we probably allways have some sort of terror( as some groups view themselves as freedomfighters).

But will we ever overcome religion, money or powerseeking people? Have we learned anything from times at war?

And has the world seen it´s last dictator?

Back