Love History?

I love history in general. I think if I had gone onto university after I finished high school I might have taken history. I probably fell in love with it in grade 10. The teacher probably had a lot to do with it as well. He was a WWII history buff so that helped as well. I found WWI and WWII very interesting as Canada played a very important part to them.

I also find the period in US history around the Civil War time very interesting as well. It still astounds me that brother could kill brother over their different believes.

Canadian History is very interesting as well particularly the the time in the 1700's where the British captured The Plains of Abraham. The Plains are a very important part of Quebec City's history and they are a interesting tourist site to visit.

I love history as well! It was combined to Social Studies and it was my best grade (along with PE and Art) - I like all of it... except ancient.. oh god it's sooo boring :p

Of course WWs are interesting and our local history. The reason why I didn't want to study history in University was the fact that job would be either teacher or then some researcher... not interested in that kind of work :p

I love history thanks to the amazing high school teachers, but now as a third year undergrad I am having a hard time finding good professors. They are all dry and lecture for what seems hours and hours which is sad. :(

One part of history that I cannot stand is Medieval Europe, so boring! And God forbid I call the Dark Ages, my professor nearly had a heart attack when we called it that! :p

I love history in general. I think if I had gone onto university after I finished high school I might have taken history. I probably fell in love with it in grade 10. The teacher probably had a lot to do with it as well. He was a WWII history buff so that helped as well. I found WWI and WWII very interesting as Canada played a very important part to them.

I also find the period in US history around the Civil War time very interesting as well. It still astounds me that brother could kill brother over their different believes.

Canadian History is very interesting as well particularly the the time in the 1700's where the British captured The Plains of Abraham. The Plains are a very important part of Quebec City's history and they are a interesting tourist site to visit.

I'm going to be completely honest here and say that I have no idea what role Canada played in WWI and WWII. Would you like to fill me in?

Are you from Quebec City? I love it there! Went back in high school and am going next year for my fifth anniversary.

Kristine you do ask some difficult questions here and are testing my own history knowledge while you're at it :)

First the easy part. No I'm not from Quebec. I was born in and now live in the Toronto area. There is a lot of history in Toronto particularly with the war of 1812. My background is British so I'm actually quite proud that the British took the Plains of Abraham from the French :)

Now the difficult part but I will get Wikipedia to help me :)

Canada captured Vimy Ridge on April 9, 1917. The France and British had not been able to do this and some say Canada capturing Vimy was the turning part in the war in France. This was also very important for Canada as a Nation

Battle of Vimy Ridge

Canada also had a flying ace in WWI called Billy Bishop. Bishop had 72 kills which made him the top Ace of the British Empire. Canada was still under British rule even though we were our own nation. We officially became separate from Great Britain until the 1930's.

In WWII Canada played a very important part in trying to keep Hong Kong from the Japanese. Many good many spent a lot of time in the Japanese Prison Camps. Canada also liberated The Netherlands in 1945 and still to this day are remembered fondly. The Queen of The Netherlands at the time took refuge in Ottawa and as a sign of gratitude sent us tulips. Ottawa in the spring it awash in them :)

We also played a very important part in the Battle of Normandy.

Second World War

Military History of Canada during the Second World War

I hope you enjoy your tour of Canada and their military history :)

OOH!!! ME ME ME ME ME!!! XD

I've been studying history since sixth grade, and I hope to major in it when I'm in university.

I love Russian history, and the Tudors. I find myself incredibly fascinated with England, Spain, Ireland, France and Russia and find it difficult to understand ancient civilizations & US history. :guffaw:

I also love studying both WWs.

^ Hehe, well Irish history, that I could tell you about, that's my favourite, seeing as I'm from Ireland... :p Well aswell as WWII and The Cold War, but I think we already established that I like them... :lol:

Kristine you do ask some difficult questions here and are testing my own history knowledge while you're at it :)

Aw, but isn't that a good thing? And it's fun to find out things you didn't know!

Jacquie said:
First the easy part. No I'm not from Quebec. I was born in and now live in the Toronto area. There is a lot of history in Toronto particularly with the war of 1812. My background is British so I'm actually quite proud that the British took the Plains of Abraham from the French :)

Oh ok. Are you of British ancestry you mean?

Jacquie said:
Now the difficult part......

I hope you enjoy your tour of Canada and their military history :)

I quite did! Thanks so much! :thumbsup: That was really interesting.

OOH!!! ME ME ME ME ME!!! XD

I've been studying history since sixth grade, and I hope to major in it when I'm in university.

I love Russian history, and the Tudors. I find myself incredibly fascinated with England, Spain, Ireland, France and Russia and find it difficult to understand ancient civilizations & US history. :guffaw:

I also love studying both WWs.

I enjoy the Tudors also. I really like the British Royal Family.

*sorry, did it again, I got to stop it!*

Last edited:
I love history.

We had this really cool poster in our classroom that said: The past leaves it's fingerprints on the future and another that said we are making history with every breath we take.

It's such an important part of our lives, but people don't seem to want to learn from it. Mistakes made in past wars are still being made. History is so important. It's what's shaped our society, made us who we are.

Tis facinating.

I love history.

We had this really cool poster in our classroom that said: The past leaves it's fingerprints on the future and another that said we are making history with every breath we take.

It's such an important part of our lives, but people don't seem to want to learn from it. Mistakes made in past wars are still being made. History is so important. It's what's shaped our society, made us who we are.

Tis facinating.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Kristine yes I'm of British ancestry. I'm second generation Canadian. Both sets of grandparents were born in England. And talk about history that place if full of it. I could get lost in all the historical places in England, Scotland and Wales. Sorry Steph I have been to Northern Ireland let alone Ireland yet. Hopefully one of these years :)

Oh I love history :) History was actually the only subject in school that I didn't really have to take notes during the class ... I paid so much attention really interested in what I was learning and remembered everything :)

The Bible days were full of many love situations , chapter after chapter, and the Roman orgies days, and I was always interested in the Western part of love history, Calamity Jane and Annie Oakey tough women:klingon: and Jesse James, Billy The Kid, Wyatt Earp etc. the women who stuck by them! and the pioneer women induring all they did, and doing it all for the man of the ranch/farm, working from dawn till dust, and thinking that was the way it was, but loving it as we knew from reading about it! and the way back in the American Native history with Pochohontas and John Smith, who's life she saved, but went on to marry John Rolfe they had a great love affair:thumbsup: each period of history has terrific love stories!

I know some of you said you like ancient history like Rome just like me. I just posted this in the What are you reading thread but wanted to let you all know here if anyone is interested. I am reading Last Seen in Massillia by Steven Saylor. He writes great book on ancient rome. They aren't romance they are sort of mystery but lots of good historical information in them and a lot of it true. It's a series and his newest one came out last week called The Triumph of Ceasar. I can't wait to get it!

Back