Louise/Sofia: A Lady With Attitude Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.
K ...........I need to get to bed before the sun comes up!!

night all and just let me know about the "love"

OH! BTW Lombard support has a pilot schedualed to air on oct 6th but it doesnt say what it is, I emailed her( i think) and asked what it was. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sleep well!

Hmm, I wonder what that pilot could be. We haven't heard anything, have we? It would be around the same time that CSI returns.

Damn right she is!

I was wondering something. If she lived in the US for a long time, would she eventually lose her British accent? Linguistics classes have never been my forte, so I have no idea how that works. ;)

atfm said:
If she lived in the US for a long time, would she eventually lose her British accent?
Ok, this entire paragraph is going to be really boring and very possible off topic, but since I’m a nerd and English dialects are a bit of an interest of mine I’ll try answering. The short answer is yes it will (to an extent). The long answer (and this is only a layman’s take) is that if you move to a different country/region or even if you live with someone who has come from another country, something that’s usually referred to as accent accommodation takes place in which your own accent is unconsciously affected by and takes on characteristics of the dominant accent or dialect that you are surrounded by. Generally the effect depends on the amount of influence present, which I imagine would be especially great considering Louise has been in America for a few years and is actively altering her own accent into an American one for the purpose of the show (whatever you want to say about her success). So, yes, it may change a bit, but for real significant change to take place, especially in adults, you’d have to be there for a pretty long while. So she’ll still have pretty much the same totally delightful British accent as she does now for a long time yet.

Yeah, I thought it would depend on whether you get there as an adult or as a child. Does it make a difference whether you're a native speaker or not? Clearly, my American accent would become better if I lived in the US. Is that even the same thing?

I wonder what accent her son has. He grows up in a US environment, his father is probably American and his mother British. Sounds like it could be a fun mix. ;)

Oh, well, I feel I haven't posted in here for quite a while.

Louise: Someone asked me the other day what it was like being the prettiest girl in the school. The answer is that I have no idea. I was the geeky, clever one who was always trying to be part of the crowd and never quite managing it.
Louise was a geek?! Isn't that totally completly adorable of her? :p Oh, it just makes her even more cute! Thank you so much Drumchik.

About her accent, thanks for the informative (and not boring like you said) answer 4_and_20
I do like Louise's british accent, it makes her sound different from CSI (obviously!), and it's just super cute :)
I actually used to have a problem with british accents, because I thought they sounded too weird and I hated to have to hear people speaking that way. But after the interview I saw of Louise, I haven't had anymore problems with it, and I find people speaking with it just cute and nice :) So yeah, go figure out how much I love Louise's accent to make that change on me :rolleyes:

See, Louise can make you like British accents! I think she doesn't have a very thick accent, she's fairly easy to understand. I love British accents, wish I had a proper one and not my weird German/British/American mix. ;)

Yeah, Louise really made me understand that british accents are nice :)
She might be not one of the most difficult ones to understand, but I don't find it that easy anyway. I mean, I do understand some things but others I just go like "What?!":p But I am not good with english in any way, so it's my problem, not the person's problem :lol:

atfm, I'm sure your accent is not bad, and a mixture of those can even be funny, I guess. OMG, German sounds so difficult and strange :rolleyes:

Just remember that most of the time people sound funny to you imagine what you sound like to them! So if they dont sound funny to you , I would assume that you sound fine. Beside I've lived here for 8 years now and I still cant understand these people. I can tell where they are from by their accent, but I cant understand them. It's kinda funny to think draw (southern accent) has regions!

I don't understand Swiss German. ;)

CSI_Dani said:
atfm, I'm sure your accent is not bad, and a mixture of those can even be funny, I guess. OMG, German sounds so difficult and strange :rolleyes:

It's not that bad but it's not really good, either. ;)

Anyway, to stay on topic - who else wanted to hug Louise towards the end of War Stories when she was talking to Ben? She nearly broke my heart. Great job in the movie. :)

War Stories was pretty good. Louise can really knock the emotional stuff out with some force. Wonder why a left of centre series about liberal journalists never got picked up as a series? :rolleyes:

I'm noticing a theme in LL's recent projects - she's so damn smug and...ballsy.
(That probably only makes sense if you're British..but it's the word that springs to mind)

Not that I'm complaining about the smirking ;) But Lady Davenport, Gayle Phelan, Rachel Blackmon, even Emma in After The Rain to some extent, are all quite headstrong women who stand up for themselves.

One more thing, I keep seeing Cagney & Lacey (the joys of daytime UK tv) and I can see a lot of Sofia in Cagney - or is it the other way round? Either way, they both have a tough exterior to deal with the job but every so often you see a softer side.

OT: On the subject of accents. My brother and I were talking and we both realised we'd lost our accents and were just generic 'south-coast' not the farming accents we should have. But when I'm serious I become unintelligible to anyone who didn't grow up in Dorset. Probably the same reason LL loses her accent when she's tapping into emotions (ABRTI, After The Rain).

With that essay, I'll go back to my LJ and make more Louise things.

Ben

I so get what you're saying Built_01. As an Aussie, I totally know what ballsy and smug and smirking stands for. And it's certainly true about Louise's parts. (don't make that phrase dirty)

As for accents, people from overseas think our accent is funny and stuff. And sometimes listening to American accents is funny too (love ya Syd ;) ). But British ones I don't seem to notice as much - probably because my grandfather is British. He still has a bit of his accent, and he's lived in Australia since he was 24 (he's 84 this year).

I must say though that I love Louise's accent. Even when she does the American one, it's different, and that's what I love so much about it. Then again, how can you not love Louise?

I love Aussie accents. ;)

It's true, you hear it in Louise's speech pattern, even if she puts on an American accent. And it comes through when she's upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back