I Suck At Cooking!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BabaOReilly, Jan 9, 2006.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Hmmm. They said they were yams in the grocery store. And organically grown as well! :) (Not that there was any other option! :p ) And there were sweet potatoes right next to them. The "yams" had slightly darker skins and were orange inside... so are they just another kind of sweet potato and not really yams? I'm confused.

2. wibble

wibble Corpse

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I heard somewhere, cannot remember where, that yams are rare to find in North America (could just be the US). Yams are stringy and sweet potatos are not - if I remember this right. The colour is different too. You will find stores that like to call sweet potatoes yams.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

How to make yams/sweet potatoes? Follow the directions on the can. As for making them from scratch, I couldn't tell you.

5. drkate

drkate Corpse

oh god... i really really suck... i thought a yam was some kind of seafood because it sounded like 'clam'... oh gee... *slaps self at stupidity*

i cant cook... i cant even tell vegetables from seafood!

6. greenfieldcsi

greenfieldcsi CSI Level Two

Who doesn´t suck at cooking?...lol no actually i am not that bad ... better than my bro.. and i can cook a few (quite a few) meals but i hardly ever do cook.
    But i am afraid i can´t help with that recipe.

7. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

I'm lucky, not only did my Nana teach me to cook, she taught me to enjoy cooking...

As far as yams, my mother in law just rubs oil on the skins, pokes them in several spots with a knife and microwaves them for about 25 minutes (usually about 3 at once). As far as my favorite style of cooking them, I have a great recipe where you peel them and cut them up (or have your brother/husband/adult son/other big strong male do it, since they're a real pain to cut when they're raw!), cook them with water, sugar (I know, bad girl... :devil: ), cinnamon and allspice and add a teeny bit of butter. Absolute yum.

As far as the Yam/Sweet potato debate, I've had both Southern-style sweet potato pie and Filipino-style yam flour cake, and they're both yumalicious...

If you want to start on a bit of cooking for yourself, start simple, and with recipes that you can "customize" at will - change spices/seasonings, substitute one meat/fruit/nut for another, etc. The more creative you get to be with it, the more you'll enjoy it, and the easier other dishes and styles of cooking will come to you. :cool:

--Robin

8. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Boy, u must be bad...can't tell difference between clam and yam! :rolleyes: What next??

9. drkate

drkate Corpse

yeah... it's pretty sad... i think it's caus we dont really have 'yams' over here in australia so i just assumed that they were seafood...

10. BabaOReilly

^^^ Pumpkins are different in Australia too. They're not the big orange things that we have over here.

11. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

I am a very good cook, I'm trying not to sound cocky here, but I am. I have been cooking since I was little and I have gotten to be really good at it.

But my friend cannot cook to save her life. She once, follow me here, evaporated EGGS. She actually made them evaporate. That takes TALENT.

12. SidLer

SidLer Coroner

Wow... you gotta take her to Grissom! After that he'd scurry around the lab giving her things to evaporate! :p

Blood, fingerprints, DNA, Greg, epithelials... you name it...

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I can bake anything except pies but I can't cook anything to save my life other than mac and cheese from scratch. I even ruin the box kind.

14. BabaOReilly

I can barbecue and I can microwave! That's about it! :lol:

Anybody have any favourite BBQ sauces/seasonings they'd like to recommend? I usually do chicken or steak, with a BBQ-garlic sauce and HP sauce respectiveley.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

BBQ sauce...Heinz is yummy in all the different flavors. Longhorn (available in WA state) is good. Cattlemen's is good and they have that at Costco. I don't like Hunt's at all.

As far as seasonings, depends on what dish you're using them for. My best friend is a great cook and she tells me all about what works best with what.