I Suck At Cooking!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BabaOReilly, Jan 9, 2006.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Here's something that occurred to me today. I'm trying to figure out the fastest, easiest way to cook yams, and here I am with a vast, international resource at my fingertips- this lovely CSI board. And I figure if anyone else is similarly challenged, they might find this thread useful too. Or not? :p

So, any suggestions from people who actually know how to cook? What's the fastest (and easiest) way to cook a yam?

2. jeniks

jeniks Police Officer

you can bake them....wrap it in foil and throw it in the oven. What is your desired yam dish? the way you want to use it may change how you want to cook it. you could prolly nuke it, although i've never tried it...

3. beautiful_loser

beautiful_loser Pathologist

My dad cuts them, peels them, mashes them and throws them in the microwave for god knows how long. I don't know how they taste though, cause I don't eat them. Come on, the microwave is your friend.

I as well suck at cooking, but--probably for a lack of trying. My friend managed to burn some pizza pops, they were smoking and smoke was filling the house...Ha ha ha, that was pretty funny, but we were still hungry in the end.

4. SidLer

SidLer Coroner

Yam recipe? Yam... Yam... Yam? Boy, I hate yams! Haha! Now if you'd ask for a recipe containing potatoes, I'd have plenty to share! ;)

Mmm.. I've never tried this before, but maybe you can make some Yam Croquettes. It sounds rather erm... 'interesting' isn't it? :lol: But since potatoes and yams come from the same family (are they?), maybe it'd taste quite yummy. :)

Ingredients:
    1. Some mashed yam (you'll need to boil/steam them first)
    2. Cream as needed
    3. Eggs (one per cup of mashed yam)
    4. Flour as needed
    5. Garlic and/or onion powder to taste
    6. Bread crumbs

Mix ingredients 1 - 5, Pat them into cute little balls, Roll them in the bread crumbs, Refrigerate for a while and Fry them lightly until brown. Voila! Hope it tastes as good as the potato version! :D

<<Edited>> P.S. Not exactly an easy recipe is it? :lol:

5. allmaple

allmaple Judge

we make them by cutting them up into chunks, put them in the oven til almost done (sorry i dont remember how long!) and about 10 minutes before theyre done toss with maple syrup, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme. so good!
    i come from a very culinary house, my mom can just throw anything together, no recipes required! i cant do that, but i can follow just about any recipe and have it turn out. i just dont like the cleaning up afterwards!
    Baba, have you ever heard of rachel ray and her show 30 minute meals? i got her cookbooks this year as i moved out to go to university. the meals are sooooo good and pretty easy! even if i do take a little bit longer than 30 minutes to make them, im just a slow chopper!

6. BabaOReilly

Wow, thanks guys!

As for cooking shows... meh. Sorry, can't do them! :lol: I can't stand any of those fix-it-yourself shows, be they about food, houses, decorating, etc. I just couldn't be less interested in all that stuff. It's a little too... DOMESTIC for me! :lol: Which explains why I can't cook for crap! :D

Anybody have an oven temp and length of time for me to cook them?

7. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Baba, even if you do not watch the Food Network cable channel, they have a search engine at their website www.foodnetwork.com.

Some of their yam recipes include:
    Maple-glazed yam stars
    Red yam flan
    Candied yam souffle
    Sweet potato (yam) pie
    Brown garlic yam soup

As for me, don't ask. I have enough trouble making toast. I even lost the recipe for boiling water.

8. Hollis

Hollis CSI Level Two

Haha. I have problems walking into the kitchen. I burnt myself severely on the stove as a child and my dad forced me to watch true forensic cases with sharp knives, so I'm terrified of sharp objects. (BTW, my dad forced them on me because I asked to be able to take the bus alone as a 5 year old.)

Sorry I couldn't be of help. Try google- that's my answer to everything!

9. SidLer

SidLer Coroner

Baba have you tried yam ice cream before? I know it sounds awful and has the most impossible purple color; but it's actually pretty good! It tastes sweet and has a hint of yam aftertaste, and it erm... it looks incredibly purple! :lol: But you should give it a try... get yourself some yam ice cream and you'll see what I mean :)

Your yams on the other hand, just plant them into some dirt and water it every day. ;)

10. X05

X05 CSI Level One

lol! i think yams are almost the same as sweet potato and you can bake them and then mash them and put butter and brown sugar with them. it's pretty good.

11. BabaOReilly

PK, I found a fast and perfectly acceptable way to cook my little yam. Wash it, poke it full of holes, microwave it for 3 minutes on one side, 3 on the other, let it sit for 3-5 minutes and voila, cooked yam!

I was looking for a healthy side to my chicken dinner, so I avoided addding any maple syrup or anything. Just yam, straight up. :)

But thanks for all your suggestions.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

First off, at least you live outside of North America, you are cooking sweet potatos (it is rare to find yams in NA).

Take a [mircowave safe] dish and cut the sweet potato in half and cut slits in both halves - do not go all the way through. Put butter and brown sugar on it before putting it in the mircowave, if you want to. Depending on the size, it will take 2 to 10 minutes - maybe longer.

Pretty much you can cook sweet potatoes the same as potatos. You can make chips, mash potatos...

13. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

I can make a mean bowl of cereal. And warm up waffles. And make soup. And make ramen noodles. And salad. :lol:

14. SidLer

SidLer Coroner

That's my speciality too! :D It's a bit difficult to pepare... with all that milk and cereal and stuff. But I manage somehow! :lol:

15. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Ha, I hear ya! :D