howmany/what langueges do you speak?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guest, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Muzzy_Olorea

Muzzy_Olorea Lab Technician

^^ I'd have to say that Chinese has got to be one of the most difficult languaged to learn.

Is it true what people say that Dutch is relatively similar to German?

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Well... I think those languages are in top 5 when it comes to most difficult languages... Chinese, Dutch and Finnish.

I hope I don't get kicked for this but it is similar to German. (and doh, it is Germanic language, just like English and Scandinavian languages and stuff)

3. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

*kicks Ducky* I think that's enough said about Dutch being similar to German.. :D Painful but true it is similar.. I would say that Dutch and German people understand each other when they speak in their native language. I think Dutch and Swedish also have their similarities.. it's so funny to hear Swedish people talk English, because they have the same accent when a Dutchman talks English.. very remarkable I think.

4. Ducky

Ouch!

When I was a kid, I felt Dutch was something what you get when you mix German and Danish.
    Even Dutch sounds horrible (teehee)... Danish is so horrible language to listen to.. seriously :lol: It was torture to be there :lol:

..when I was a kid, I also thought Finland never wins Eurovision Song Contest because we have such an ugly language...

5. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

ugly langugage? Finnish? I think it's such a pretty language actually. From what I could make out in Nightwish video and the finnish song of Death makes an artist. :p (can't quite remember the finnish name of song :rolleyes: )

6. Ducky

Kuolema tekee taiteilijan :p

mwhaha... our R's are quite sexy :p

7. RBC

RBC Coroner

I speak Dutch, English, German and quite a bit French. I live in the very south of Holland, and we have a dialect there. That looks like a mix of Dutch and German :lol:
    But the other Ducthies can't understand what we say, although they speak German :p

8. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

Yeah you're right there.. my cousins live in the south.. and seriously I have no clue what they say.. but once I start talking in my own precious dialect (Achterhoeks) they don't understand me neither :D

9. saras_girlfriend

saras_girlfriend Coroner

where in the very south if I may ask?
    I normally live in Maastricht :) Am no limbo though :p

10. RBC

RBC Coroner

Reuver. It is located between Roermond and Venlo. You may not it because it's one of the few towns/villages you say your on, in stead of in. Oppe Ruiver. :lol: (Maybe heard of it in Maastricht)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

What is english often compared to? well, usually I'm usedto hearing "spanish and english" but Spanish is more like french I heard.

and a teacher told me *and its rather odd, but a PE teacher told me* that english is the hardest language to learn cuz we use weird somethings. I don't know. then the second hardest language to learn is russian...yeah, I think so, but a PE teacher told me that, so dont ask me if its true, you'd have to ask her. :D :) :lol:

12. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

I think that maybe English is one of the hardest orally? Because there are so many similiar words and stuff. But the hardest language out of all? Nah, English is a pretty easy language to learn or why would it be the most used language after spanish. :p

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Thats porbably whut she meant then. :D Because, I kinda figured that it was harder orally, specially since I saw this interview with t.A.T.u, and the brunette, Yulya *yulia, something* shes got a hard time speaking english, and she said it was a hard language to speak.

14. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

I find that Greek is a pretty hard language to speak for non-Greeks. Because we have a different alphabet that doesn't include the letter "y" some people struggle. Also, Canada is spelt "Kanadas".

15. robospanker_fan

robospanker_fan CSI Level Two

Well, it depends. Like, most of my friends speak Mandarin at home, and are very Chinese-based, and they find Chinese so easy while they find English so weird. I find Chinese frustrating. And sometimes my friends come and ask me stuff about English, like "Why do we have to start this sentence with 'the' and not 'a'?" And I can't give them an answer lol, its just like... that.