Horatio/DC#14: Even heroes have the right to bleed

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Lucy, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Re: Horatio question

They had to develop him somehow, & this was apparently the direction they wanted to take. Like Dynamo stated, his "change" is due to a course of events that he's had to go through starting from the beginning of the series. I see the development, & every now & again I still see the old Horatio - it's rare, yes, but at times it seeps through his "darkness".

Part of the problem I see with this is because most of the character drama with the team has revolved around Calleigh the past 2 seasons, & when there's Calleigh, there usually is no Horatio...to no fault of his own.;)
    But when we do see stories (rarely) that involve the other characters then we manage to see Horatio tied into it a little bit more. I think if the tide would change some & the other characters would be drawn into drama that needed thier team leader for support - they would probably get it, & then he wouldn't seem as distant. JMO.

2. FieldMouse

FieldMouse Hub Master Moderator

Re: Horatio question

Moving to Horatio thread. :)

3. bgnogan

bgnogan Hit and Run

I understand what you both are saying, it makes sense. It's still a pretty drastic change, though. Maybe they can begin to change him again, and bring the old H back. But probably not. It seems like I'm the only one who prefers him the way he used to act.

Super H must be better for the ratings.

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

It is drastic, but it's a change that could easily be seen coming with everything TPTB wrote into his character, even going further back to his upbringing & his Mother's death (is that right? Mom or Dad, or both kicked the bucket?)
    It's obvious that Horatio does indeed have emotions - if he didn't, then he wouldn't have allowed all those events to change him the way they have - he wouldn't have let it get to him at all....so his "change" does speak loudly in how emotional Horatio really is; it's just being shown in a different way.

No, you aren't alone. I've read more comments from fans saying they want the old H & don't like Super-H.
    Super-H only bothers me because it's been too overplayed. For the most part though, my favorite H moments are when he is supporting the team & his emotions come out with them - that's when I see the "old Horatio".
    I just wish we could get more of that. :p

5. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

1. Coming from an abusive home - his father was physically and most probably verbally abusive.

2. Actually, Horatio's father killed his mother and Horatio killed his father trying to protect his mother.

3. Losing the man who had taken him under his wing and mentored him. I think I remember Horatio telling Al's widow that he owed everything he is to Al.

4. He through his brother was dead, found out he was alive, only to lose him again. And in that process he finds out that his brother truly was a dirty cop.

5. The loss of Speed affected him greatly.

6. The loss of Marisol - he went a whole lot darker after that and we are only now beginning to see him come back from it.

7. Eric being shot and almost dying.

8. Finding out he has a teenage son he never knew about and then deperately trying to save that son from going to prison for the rest of his life - only to have the mother who abandoned the boy come back and take him away again. He's only now establishing any kind of real relationship with Kyle.

And I'm sure others could probably add things I missed to this list.

I think that in fact Horatio feels things very deeply. But he holds them within and doesn't share. That is a trait of a child from an abusive home. (ref: Calleigh) He also has a position which requires him to remain in control of his emotions at all times.

And they have never really given him someone he could confide in. A woman who was his equal. So Horatio has to be the rock for everyone else, but he's never had anyone who was strong enough to help him with his burdens. Give him that and we might really see Horatio come back to us.

Agree with you, mjszud.

I miss the "old" Horatio terribly. I'm not a big fan of Super H. But I'm seeing little pieces of him come back every once in a while and I'm hopeful they will bring a little more light into Horatio's world before all is said and done.

IMO, if you want a truly interesting storyline for Horatio, go back to the storyline where someone in NY was re-opening the investigation into what happen to Horatio's mother and Horatio killing his father. Especially since we have CSI NY now and Horatio has established a reallly good relationship with Mac and Stella. Nice cross-over possibilies as Mac's team re-opens the case and goes through all of the forensic evidence again.

At the risk of making some CSI NY fans upset, I thought Horatio and Stella had a great chemistry. I'm talking FRIENDSHIP here. I would love to see a scene with just Horatio and Stella, where Horatio takes her through what he remembers about the deaths of his mother and father and he's actually able to share the pain of his mother's death and what is I'm sure the very mixed emotions regarding the fact he actually killed his own father - regardless of the reason. (Whoa - any fan fiction writers out there willing to try that one?)

I think that storyline would also be much more poignant now that Kyle is in the picture.

But that's just me! ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

What made these ordeals worse for him, IMO, was because the Mala Noche killed them in order to get revenge on Horatio. "I'll take everything you love" is what they did, & I'm sure that guilt doesn't ever escape H's mind.

The only thing I can add to the list is all the victims in the past that he tried to save but couldn't, & we actually did see more of that in the first few seasons. 'Dead Woman Walking' & 'Witness to Murder' in particular come to mind. They both struck a cord with Horatio.

I'd love to see a storyline like that!! Even if it wasn't a cross-over, I really think they need to delve more into what happened with his parents. Some flashbacks would be good too. ;)

7. bgnogan

bgnogan Hit and Run

Glad to see I'm not alone on this. Hopefully they take his character into a new direction soon.

I completely agree, they made an excellent team. Would love to see them working together again, especially since I'm a big fan of the cross-over episodes.

8. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Maybe we could get David to move to CSI NY? ;)

Nah, the Gary Sinise fans wouldn't like that. How about Melina moving to CSI Miami and CSI NY can have Emily? :lol:

I just think the storyline regarding what truly happened to Horatio's parents could have been incredibility interesting and had so much potential. And then they just let it drop flat never to bring it up again. Instead we get these ridculous storylines that don't even being to do justice to David's abilities as an actor! :rolleyes:

Oh, well. :(

9. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

I have been hoping that having a son would bring H's past to the forefront again. That H could have some closure from his parents deaths but in a year and a half, it was never mentioned.

10. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

I really hoped they would address what happened with his parents as well but maybe they feel like it's too much 'soap opera drama' I don't think it does..I think it would be an excellent chance to see Horatio deal with probably the worst trauma of his life and how it's changed/shaped him to the man he is today. It could start out with Kyle asking him WHY did he become a cop in the first place or why did he leave NYC? you'd think after a year and half that topic of discussion would've come up?

11. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I guess IMO you can't get more "soap opera" then they have with the E/C relationship storyline. So if they are afraid of turning the show into a soap opera - oops - too late! ;)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, to re-open the murder investigation of Horatio's mother and also reinvestigate the fact that in protecting his mother Horatio killed his father - well it just offers a wealth of potential storyline as well as great drama. (It would also allow David Caruso to do something with Horatio besides the same old, same old.)

And that is what this show is supposed to be about. After all this time, with all the new techniques in forensics to open up a case that old and reinvestigate (great opportunity to show some razzle-dazzle), you've now got a show in the franchise in the city where the events occurred (perfect opportunity for a cross-over), the character now has a teenage son with a right to know his family history (great opportunity for a normally emotionally introverted character to have to open up). All in all taking Horatio back to his mother and father's death has everything a CSI show should have!

But that just my opinion! ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  12. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I do agree with you there, Delynn.
    Opening up that storyline for him would be a breath of fresh air, not only for the show, but for his character. It seems like since season 4, we've had nothing but Horatio battling it out with gangs/mobs or the "villian pick of the season".
    Granted, we've got Kyle now, but again it's revolving around the same dance from the past few years - someone's out to get who H loves,& he saves them - same thing over & over again.

But then here's a thought - perhaps TPTB are saving his parent's story for closer to the end of the series run. This may sound a bit cheesy, but opening up that storyline at that time could be a way of taking the character back to the "beginning" - coming full circle from where it all began, so to speak.

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You may have a point there. It would be a great way to bring Horatio full circle. And maybe they'll be kind enough to give Horatio a strong, supportive woman to share the burden when it's time to take Kyle back and revisit Horatio's nightmare. :(

Damn I wish I could write fan fiction! :lol:

14. noealonso

noealonso Rookie

David at LAX in december of last year.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:hugegrin:Actually, they're from last June, but Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.