Hockey Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about going to a Blue Jackets game since they're the closest team to where I live, but then I realized that, as you said, they aren't the greatest and I didn't want to waste the experience of my first hockey game on them.
If I'd thought about it early enough, I would've went when they hosted the Rangers (assuming they did) or maybe Pittsburgh or Boston. But the Jackets might make the playoffs this year, so you never know...

Anywho, the Rangers did play really well against Minnesota. After Gaborik scored I was a little worried, but they pulled it out. Nikky Zherdev has just been on fire lately hasn't he!

Avery finally got his first fight after rejoining the team too :D
And how about Michael Sauer's 1st game after being called up to replace Michal Rozsival? I think he played very well, he had good position. He basically played better in this one game than some of our defensemen *cough*Redden*couch* have done all season.

Last edited:
Bringing Good News to our (barely alive) Hockey Thread

NEW YORK RANGERS BEAT NEW JERSEY DEVILS 3 - 0

Rangers did a good job of keeping Jersey boys off the blue line.

All three goals were made in the second period by Brandon Dubinsky, Dan Girardi, and Ryan Callahan (over the shoulder of Brodeur)

Penalty kill was not the object of the game - it hurt the Rangers in their last face off against Pittsburgh Pens.

And of course its all about the goalies when New York meets Jersey. Both Brodeur and Lundqvist keep their cool during the game. Rangers had 37 shots, while Jersey had 38 (which were all denied by Lundqvist).

The highlight of the game, however, was in the trhird period,when Clarkson tried to get a piece of Avery, Avery diddn't fight back, thats when the refrees came in. Clarkson recived 10 min for misconduct, and 2 min for Roughing. Avery recived 2 min for (minor) Roughing. A penalty which he wasn't too happy about.

Now, much attention was dedicated to Avery's behavior, Sean was calm through out (much calmer than the old Avery we all know), besideds a few minor sraps. John Tortorella has this to say (of Sean Avery) after the first period, quote "Sean is a good player, he'll be ok if he ignores and stays away from tha kind of crap."

Avery/ Clarkson scrap wasn't the only one, there were quite a few. Frustraded Jersey players ( 3rd period with 0 points on the score board) took their anger out on a few Rangers (#28 for one). Ranger players came in to defend their team mates. "If you go after our guy - we'll go after you" so to speak.

#28 Coltor was clearly was going to be involved in a hefty fight, which was stoped early on by the referees.

When the # 28 approached the bench, the message from the coach was clear: Don't get in to fights (as it takes away the momentum of the game).

So, Rangers win over Devils puts the 2 points above #9 spot. Rangers are now in the 7th spot with 89 points. But the tought road is till ahead, Rangers will need to win their next road trip to Carolina,Boston, and Montreal then they will be back to play Philadephia Flyers back to back at home.

Last edited:
And yes the hockey gods are looking down and blessing Toronto fans another year without a winner :) The Toronto Make Beleaves have been eliminated from the playoffs :) Now we just get to hear why they failed to make the playoffs for the next 3-4 months :rolleyes:

Well, at least the Leafs didn't pick up their game all of a sudden, win all of their remaining matches, make it to the playoffs therefore giving fans a miracle and hope, and then lose horribly in the first round. That would just be depressing.
( But the Leafs did beat Philadelphia tonight :) )

That's one of those times I'm glad I don't live somewhere that actually cares about hockey, and don't have to listen to people gripe about how the team did or didn't do constantly.
If the Penguins (who's the closest) didn't make the playoffs, around here it'd just be like "Some team up in Pittsburgh didn't win...or something like that...so now they don't get to play for some shinny cup thing..." :lol:

In other news, goalie Al Montoya of the Phoenix Coyotes, and a former 6th round Rangers pick, became the first Cuban-American player to play in the NHL tonight. In his first game, he also registered his first shutout, beating the Colorado Avalanche 3-0.

First... our league. My other fave team was kicked out last round, the other is still fighing (4 teams left) but doesn't look good since the wins are 3-1 for the other team :( Even the last game... meh, referee accepted goal even it was obvious offside. What a jerk

Then our national team... yay! They played first time against HUNGARY and lost 4-3 after shootout.
Srsly. We have more referees in this country than they have players.

*le sigh*

Rangers lost their road trip game ( dropped down to #8 spot),

CAR 4 -2 NYR

Our goalie almost had an injury but was luckily able to recover...

“At first I couldn’t move my arm and my shoulder was really numb for the next 20 minutes, but it wasn’t too bad after (20) minutes,” said Lundqvist, who made 19 saves on Thursday. “I was a little worried when it first happened because I couldn’t move it and there was a lot of pain, but after a while it went away.”

The last thing Rangers need is to lose their star goalie, so its back to practice and off to Boston. Good luck Boys!

Canucks 6-5 shootout loss to Ducks, but they hold the 4th spot. Canucks have been really great lately.

Especially the (Alex) Burrows, and Sedins line up. Plenty to be excited about...

Last edited:
"On a night that the Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award was presented to the Rangers player who has gone above and beyond the call of duty all season long, the entire team stepped up collectively to ensure a hugely-important 3-1 victory over the Montreal Canadiens in a must-have game Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.

With the win, the Rangers retained their hold on the eighth and final playoff seed in the Eastern Conference with 91 points, while also moving within a point of seventh place Montreal.

The Rangers are now two points up on ninth-place Florida, which lost 2-1 in Philadelphia on Tuesday night. That means the Blueshirts can officially clinch a playoff spot by beating the Flyers on Thursday night at MSG."
:beer:
-----
Callahan wins Rangers' Extra Effort Award
24-year-old forward a 'catalyst' who has sparked team all season

Forward Ryan Callahan, who has enjoyed a breakout season in his second full year with the Rangers, was recognized on Tuesday as the winner of the 21st annual Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award, presented by EmblemHealth.

Callahan was selected as the winner in an online vote conducted on newyorkrangers.com as well as in-arena voting during the 2008-09 season. Thousands of Blueshirts fans voted for the award, which since 1988 has been given annually to the player fans believe goes "above and beyond the call of duty" both on and off the ice.

In becoming the 14th individual Rangers player to capture the award, Callahan was honored with a special presentation prior to the Rangers’ game against Montreal on Tuesday night at MSG.

Called a “catalyst” by head coach John Tortorella, the 24-year-old Callahan has recorded 21 goals and 15 assists for 36 points in 78 games. Now in his third year with the Rangers, he has established career-highs in goals, assists and points, and he leads the Blueshirts with 257 hits.

Callahan has seen ice time in all situations. Since Tortorella’s arrival as head coach in late February, Callahan’s rate of offensive production has soared to eight goals and 13 points in 18 games as he is truly thriving in the coach’s high-tempo system. Tortorella has shown great confidence in Callahan, even recently experimenting with him on the power-play point.

"It's very important to me," Callahan said of the Extra Effort Award. "I try and go out every night and give it my all for these fans here."

:) I believe Ryan is absolutely one of the hardest working and most consistent members of the Rangers' team. I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of that award right now then he is.

-----
And last but not least:
Clemmensen, Streit, Betts, Knuble, Eaton get Atlantic Division 2009 Bill Masterton Trophy nods

One of the most cherished and respected trophies awarded by the NHL each season is the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, presented annually to the players who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to the sport.

(Last) Monday, The Professional Hockey Writers' Association revealed the names of the nominees for the 2009 Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy from the five Atlantic Division clubs -- Scott Clemmensen of New Jersey, Mark Streit of the New York Islanders, Blair Betts of the New York Rangers, Mike Knuble of the Philadelphia Flyers and Mark Eaton of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

- Since coming to the team from Calgary on March 6, 2004, 29-year-old center Blair Betts has played through shoulder, facial and foot surgeries to become one of the League's most reliable fourth-line checkers and penalty killers. Through 75 games, Betts has recorded five goals, four assists and 16 penalty minutes. Relentless in his pursuit of the puck and fearless about throwing his body into the path of opposing slap shots, Betts usually is one of the first two forwards sent onto the ice for a Rangers penalty-killing unit that has led the League through much of the season.

:) Another very deserving player.

Ha, so the Hockey Forum is back on track, eh ?

First off : Congratulations to Ryan Callahan on reciving the McDonald Extra Effort Award ! He`s been great this season, and deserves it.

Second: We Beat the Habs, boy how much would I love to rub it in a Habs fan face! *grins*

Chris Drury finaly became a "leader" to this team, when he re-directed the puck off Naslund hard pass, into the net. Goal! Led the team well last night. Were has that effort been all seeson, buddy? Geez.
I think its safe to say that Drury is not my fav Ranger.

So as Rangers pass the Habs, they need just one more victory in
their final two games to clinch a playoff spot... LETS GO RANGERS!

Rangers WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are in the playoffs!!!!

:beer:

It's official. For the fourth consecutive season, their longest such streak since 1994 to 1997, the Rangers are headed to the Stanley Cup playoffs. The Blueshirts clinched their playoff berth with a 2-1 win over Philadelphia on Thursday night at Madison Square Garden. :)

Goals by Markus Naslund and Ryan Callahan.
Henrik Lundqvist made 37 saves to be the game's first star.
This game also makes it the Rangers' 26th win at home, the most ever since the 1993-1994 season.
And we all know what happened that year...Coincidence? I think not. ;)

That was the most nerve wracking game I've had to live through in a while! It's a good thing that I am the only one at my house because I was yelling and cheering and everything else. :lol: That was the best game that I have actually gotten to watch all season by far.
And now I'm going to go catch my breath...

Last edited:
Congrats to the Rangers! :beer:

I know my team's not making it :( But we are turning around :) even though it's too late :( Oh damn, I don't know if we beat Jersey tonight. Last I heard it was 3-1 Jersey, ick!

So, I'll probably be cheering for the Rangers in the playoffs. Or one of the other Canadian teams...if they make it. I'm not sure who's in right now!

Nice pictures :)
Congrats about Vancouver making it in too.

Congrats to the Rangers!

I know my team's not making it But we are turning around even though it's too late Oh damn, I don't know if we beat Jersey tonight. Last I heard it was 3-1 Jersey, ick!

So, I'll probably be cheering for the Rangers in the playoffs. Or one of the other Canadian teams...if they make it. I'm not sure who's in right now!

Sadly, Ottawa didn't win last night. But they did take New Jersey to a shootout, which is still pretty good. It's a shame that they waited so long to get a new coach. I think if he had started a few weeks earlier the Sens could have made the playoffs, because they started playing really well there towards the end. :)

As far as Canadian teams, you've got Calgary, Montreal, and of course Vancouver ;) that are all in the
playoffs.

So it looks like the Rangers are either going to be playing Boston or Washington in the first round. This is not good for me.
If they play Washington, win or lose, I'm going to have to hear it from the Ovechkin-worshiper that is my sister. And I just don't really want them to play them anyway.
If they play Boston, this means that one of my teams is going to be taking one of my other teams out of the playoffs. :( But I would rather the Rangers play them because most, if not all, of the games between the two of them this season has been decided by one goal.

-----
Rangers give out annual team awards
Lundqvist, Betts and Drury honored by writers, teammates

The Rangers presented their annual team awards to three players on Thursday night in conjunction with the regular-season home finale.

Goaltender Henrik Lundqvist captured the team MVP award for the third straight season in a vote of the local chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association. With 37 saves in the playoff-clinching victory over the Flyers on Thursday, Lundqvist collected his 37th victory of the season, tying a career high. By winning the team MVP award, Lundqvist becomes the first Rangers player to earn that honor in three consecutive seasons since Andy Bathgate did it from 1956-57 to 1958-60. A full 50 years had passed since Bathgate, whose No. 9 was retired on Feb. 22, achieved his three in a row.

The second award handed out Thursday went to two players -- captain Chris Drury and penalty-killing expert Blair Betts. They shared the annual Rangers Players' Player Award, as voted by the team's 21 players. The award was a first for both player and marked the ninth time in the past 50 years that two Rangers have shared the award. It has been shared by two players in three of the past four seasons.

Last edited:
RANGERS BEAT PHILLY 4 -3 !!!!!!

A GREAT FINISH GOING INTO PLAYOFFS !!!!

Brandon Dubinsky first two goals. Sean Avery and Blair Betts scored third-period goals.

LETS GO RANGERS !!!!!! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:
Whoo hoo! We won the last game! :D

I was sitting in church and kept checking my phone to see how they were doing.
The guy beside me probably thought I was going insane :lol:

Well, I'm glad they get to end the season on a happy note.
This also means that Pittsburgh gets home ice, so it's a double yay.

So it looks like we're going to be seeing:

Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens
Washington Capitals vs. New York Rangers
New Jersey Devils vs. Carolina Hurricanes
Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Philadelphia Flyers
San Jose Sharks vs. Anaheim Ducks
Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues
Chicago Blackhawks vs. Calgary Flames

Some potentially interesting matchups there indeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back