Hill Harper/Sheldon Hawkes #2: He's Got Panties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the expanded stuff, springmoon!

I was fortunate enough to catch Oprah yesterday and was so happy for Hill to have that opportunity. His book and the work he's been doing fit perfectly with the theme of the show. But I wish he'd gotten more time. C'mon, Oprah, the man is perfect for your show. Give him some more love!

But Hill was impressive in the short time he had and his visit to the youth detention facility was really touching. I'm sure the boys he met with will have a lasting impact on his life. I once defended a kid (on civil counts related to a crime) who was looking at life in prison at 15 and meeting someone who has made so many wrong turns at such an early age is one of the most heart breaking experiences ever. Truly something you don't forget. I'd love to see Hill do more of that.

It was really awesome to see Hill Harper discuss his book and his visit to the juvenile prison on the "Dr. Winfrey" Oprah Show (heartfelt). Of course, I was expecting more (like a whole show on him), but it's refreshing to see others (Geoffrey Canada, etc.) caring as well. ...AND HILL HARPER...THANK YOU KINDLY...WE REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOU AND ALL THE GREAT THINGS THAT YOU DO...CONTINUE TO KEEP HOPE ALIVE...MAY GOD BLESS YOU!!!

ALSO, JUST WANTED TO ADD ANOTHER THANK YOU TO GARY SINISE IN HIS SUPPORT OF THE TROOPS...KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

CSI:NY -- YOUR COMMUNITY SERVICE TRULY MEANS ALOT! :)

Tishme3 said:
AND HILL HARPER...THANK YOU KINDLY...WE REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOU AND ALL THE GREAT THINGS THAT YOU DO...CONTINUE TO KEEP HOPE ALIVE...MAY GOD BLESS YOU!!!

ALSO, JUST WANTED TO ADD ANOTHER THANK YOU TO GARY SINISE IN HIS SUPPORT OF THE TROOPS...KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

CSI:NY -- YOUR COMMUNITY SERVICE TRULY MEANS ALOT! :)

Well said. :) Nice to see positive personal initiative taken, actions speaking louder than words so to speak. I'm fans of them on the show, but I have also have ever increasing respect for the class and generosity of these to gents for what they do outside the studios.

Yes, it was "nice" that Oprah gave him some recognition (recognition that would have been on point/time last year when the book dropped, then he could have been a return guest with followup of success stories, schools he visited, etc). The man was ROBBED! He shouldn't have had to get on that show and rush through his interview. It was all too obvious from the start that he wasn't getting any extra time, she can now say she had him on the show. I do hope his book sales skyrocket even more as I'm sure they will. Last but certainly not least, I THINK IT IS NOTEWORTHY AS I KNOW ALL YOU HARPER FANS WILL AGREE, HIS DEGREES ARE THE "REAL" KIND, NOT HONORARY AS IS DR. WINFREY'S! She aint even hafta say anything about her getting a doctorate from Howard, but did you see/hear how gracious he was? Ya'll the man exudes intelligence, compassion....and then he told the young man, "look me in the eyes"...hmm, hmm, HMM! He told him I love you, He was misty eyed, I was teary, and Oprah was CUTTING TO COMMERCIAL.

Ebonygirl, I cannot agree with you more. Hill was ROBBED. Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased that he was on the Oprah show, BUT there is no doubt that his segment was VERY rushed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the feeling that Oprah but him first, gave him maybe 7-10 minutes of time and moved on to other people SHE felt were more inportant. My opinion is that if Oprah would have given more time to Hill to talk about his book, his foundation, how he helps the youth in South Central Los Angeles, as well as other cities through the United States, the viewing public would know who Hill Harper is. Dr. Hill Harper (Juris Doctorate from Harvard University) is really an unsung hero who still is not getting the reconition he so truly deserves. Oprah, you are the one in control of your show. You really have disappointed me with the lack of airtime/respect given to Hill.

Wow. Well, sounds like it all went down as I feared. I saw from the ads on tv that it would be a busy show with many guests packed in. They all suffer when that happens. Really disheartened to hear he didn't get enough time to talk about his work. I don't know much about him - - can someone tell me what his degrees are in? Sounds like a remarkable man...

ebonygirl said:
I THINK IT IS NOTEWORTHY AS I KNOW ALL YOU HARPER FANS WILL AGREE, HIS DEGREES ARE THE "REAL" KIND, NOT HONORARY AS IS DR. WINFREY'S! She aint even hafta say anything about her getting a doctorate from Howard, but did you see/hear how gracious he was?
Excellent point! I love Oprah and all the good that she serves, but that little remark totally got under my skin. I know her intent wasn't to undermine Hill's achievements, but when you're talking to someone who has earned their three ivy league degrees (only two of which were mentioned in his intro, btw - robbed AGAIN), it's just an embarrassment to throw in mention of your honorary degree as if it's on the same level. It's not. An honorary degree is nothing more than a token of appreciation for a commencement speaker. It means literally nothing. A more appropriate thing for Oprah to have said when Howard came up is simply that she spoke at their commencement this year, not that she received her doctorate there. :rolleyes:

Let me start by saying that I truly enjoy reading all of posts about My man Hill Harper! I eagerly watched the Oprah show wanting to see Hill talk about his book and the work that he is doing in the community. But I too was disappointed in the length of time Oprah gave Hill and upset with her mentioning that she got an honorary degree. She acted like the other guests were more important than Hill. After she finished with Hill and was about to cut to a commercial she said "I can't wait for you to meet my next guest."(the guy from Harlem) She did not use that kind of enthusiasm with Hill.

Also noteworthy is the fact that Hill spoke at Tougaloo College's commencement this year on May 13th. The man is multi-faceted. You would think since he was in her movie Beloved, he would have gotten so much more than he got. But I dont want to be repetitive, I just HAD to put that out there. :mad:

Hello Elwood (thanks) and All! Hill is indeed remarkable...you can go to amazon.com and purchase a copy of his book, "Letters to a Young Brother: Manifest Your Destiny" to know more about him. Hill has a BA from Brown Universiy (valedictorian of his department)...and cum laude from Harvard Law School with a J.D. He also holds a master's degree in public administration from the Kennedy School of Government...hm, he's 'smart'. :) ...and I think O really likes him...sorta like how the little boys tease and play with little girls in school (in their own little love language) when they really like them. :) :devil: I'm sure she'll probably ask him on her show again (like one of the other fans mentioned on another site)...just him though!!! ...before you know it, O just might be one of his upcoming dates on CSI:NY...datin' older women!!! :rolleyes: :) :lol:

RE: Degrees: good freakin' lord!! OK the man is diligent, well-educated, well-spoken, and very smart, and now we see is also a man with a big heart. :cool: (plus a great smile).

He sounds like he could be running the whole production team, or anything else he put his mind to. How did he ever find his way into acting? :p Was there something specific about this show that he said, yeah, that's interesting I'd like to do it?

Wow, look at what I've missed.
I'm so glad that Hill was on the Oprah show. I didn't have the opportunity to watch, as America's too far, but it's good anyway. Even though you are sort of complaining about the lack of time he had there (I don't doubt he deserved some more), but well, let's think positive, at least he was there :) And just like you said, now Oprah saw him, she can invite him again :rolleyes:

About his degrees, I had absolutely no idea how smart/intelligent he is :eek: Wow! Yay for Hill. Plus, he wrote a book, an inspirational book, from what I've heard and he is nice and lovely and...FANTASTIC :D I am so with you. I'm fan of him from the show, but this kinds of things increase my admiration :)

Just a heads up--Hill is going to be taking part in a news conference to increase AIDS awareness. (There's a little CSIFiles news article about it here.) He and some other African-American celebrities will be taking public HIV tests. I think it's an awesome way to educate people and try to shed some of the stigma surrounding HIV testing--if these celebrities do it in public, maybe more people will see that it's no big deal and they'll get tested themselves. :D

Awww, sweet! I love how active Hill is in promoting what he believes in--going the extra distance for young men and establishing his foundation and writing Letters to a Young Brother, getting a public HIV test, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back