Grissom and Sara; #35 Forever Together, Never Apart

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by HellsBells, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

^^^
    I definitely agree with you about the long distance issue. In reality, it's not that uncommon. Many marriages involve one or both spouses travelling due to their job. I think it may put more stress on younger people, but more mature relationships survive because they understand each other, they are probably more independent, and they make the effort to make it work.

In regards to GSR and its 'non-fans', people tend to see what they want to see. I suspect some had other ships with Grissom or Sara that they preferred, or they preferred no romance at all. For me, there is no doubt that the chemistry between the actors and the characters was always there. I was intrigued by the subtlety of their relationship from the beginning. GSR was its own mystery, and it's fun do go back and rewatch earlier seasons and look for clues about what might have been going on with them at the time.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

*nod* Nicely said.

And I do acknowledge that thinking different is what makes us different...it'd be boring if we were all alike.

3. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Aye. I've seen similar situations with friends travelling to other countries due to school and work. The ones that last are the ones who have a relationship that is built based on a strong friendship first and foremost. The ones I've seen fail are the ones that were more centered around the physicality of their attraction and tended to keep their friends and interests completely separate. I tend to think they're an excellent example of the former.

I'd have to agree that the majority of folks who seem against their 'ship, are folks who feel another 'ship would have worked better or even felt that no 'ship was best of all. In the case of the former, I can understand completely even though I disagree with their feelings. I mean, every couple has supporters and naysayers, both real and fiction, so it's not a surprise that there is people on either sides of GSR. In the case of the latter, well, I can also understand their feelings. There has been MANY times I've watched a movie and thought "Amazing movie... love story made it suck though!". On the other hand, a television series over many years allows for small doses to come through so it doesn't end up being a central plot theme.

But to each their own. It just makes me sad to hear people shooting down long distance relationships as being non-viable, when with the right amount of effort, they can be amazing. Thankfully, it seems that those in charge of writing GSR have experienced just how amazing those types of long distance relationships can be.

4. MacsGirlMel

I think the age difference turns some folks off.

I loved the GSR-ness of Ending Happy when Spike reran it earlier. She makes him happy, awwww :)

5. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

::laughs:: I've seen the age factor mentioned in TONS of fics.

I don't quite get that aspect either, 15 years really isn't that much. They are mentally and emotionally at the same place, so physical age at that stage in life generally doesn't tend to be as big of an obstacle in a relationship.

But my folks have a decade between them, my older siblings 13 and 15 years older than me, and most of my friends about 20 years my senior. We all see things the way we do as a result of our own experiences.

I keep having difficulty with the title of Ending Happy... ::chuckles:: Keep reading the words flipped around... oh dear.

6. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

^^^Ending Happy...what a great episode! My, how far we have come! In EH, Grissom and Sara talked very indirectly of having sex and being in love; now, in T2MG, we learn very directly, that they have 'great sex', and they love each other. What a wonderful ride it has been.
    The subtlety was fun over the years, but the ambiguity at times was frustrating. It's nice to hear their relationship addressed more directly now. I think we've earned it! :lol:

Since my husband is 11 years older than me, and he was once my professor and mentor (scandalous, I know, lol), the age difference of Grissom and Sara and the mentor/supervisor roles never bothered me. It happens! Like Otie said, we see things based on our own experiences. My husband and I were in the same place emotionally and mentally when we met, and now we are in the same place intellectually and professionally, as well. It's a great fit. So, I always thought Grissom and Sara getting together was very realistic, and romantic. :)

I have never been a big fan of LH (provocative women don't do much for me, lol), but I am interested to see what happens in the upcoming LH episode. I hope to see some interaction between Sara and Heather. I would like to see Heather acknowledge Grissom and Sara's marriage; and I hope the exchange is cordial and professional. It could be interesting. Maybe we will find out for sure whether Grissom and LH actually slept together. :lol: I doubt it; but with these new writers, who knows!

7. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

It will be a VERY interesting ep, it's going to be a long time til April, I'm curious to see how Heather and Sara will get along, I think they'll be just fine with each other but ya never know, it may be wise for Grissom to stay out of the country for awhile :lol:

Anthony Zuiker wrote the ep Heather will be in

And yeah I doubt we'll ever know what did or did not happen with Grissom and Heather, part of me is dying to know and yet I also want it to remain a mystery, they'll probably approach it in a way that will not confirm but not deny it like they always have

8. MacsGirlMel

That's exactly the difference between my parents...dad was 11yrs older than mom. And I've got family with a bigger gap, so I'm used to it.

I think it will be ineteresting, even though I don't think he did the deed myself. I still want to see the two of them talk.

9. MacsGirlMel

Shoot, the edit period is up. So, double post. I looked at Cold Burn again...I haven't checked it out because it might screw up my chances of nabbing it for good...the stuff that isn't circulating much will be deleted and I haven't seen that one out in a while. Anyway, I wish someone could do a rewrite of that book as a later fanfic. I recall the scene where others of the group were wondering why they got to go away. I can so see Warrick (depending on the time frame) or maybe Hodges (given his taste for his foot) quipping "What do you think? She probably sweet talked him into it" when the asking of "why does she get to go?" comes up. And a fanfic rewrite could easily have them getting some on the side when they aren't at work investigating the case <g>. Of course, then they'd return and HOdges would dig himself in deeper asking about the sex again LOL

(anyone know if there are any fics like that...convention/lecture/whatever slash romantic time and crime scene thrown in?)

10. MacsGirlMel

Shoot, the edit period is up. So, double post. I looked at Cold Burn again...I haven't checked it out because it might screw up my chances of nabbing it for good...the stuff that isn't circulating much will be deleted and I haven't seen that one out in a while. Anyway, I wish someone could do a rewrite of that book as a later fanfic. I recall the scene where others of the group were wondering why they got to go away. I can so see Warrick (depending on the time frame) or maybe Hodges (given his taste for his foot) quipping "What do you think? She probably sweet talked him into it" when the asking of "why does she get to go?" comes up. And a fanfic rewrite could easily have them getting some on the side when they aren't at work investigating the case <g>. Of course, then they'd return and HOdges would dig himself in deeper asking about the sex again LOL. I can also see him saying something about her going 'cause she's sleeping with the boss lol

(anyone know if there are any fics like that...convention/lecture/whatever slash romantic time and crime scene thrown in?)

11. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Umm... I'm pretty sure I've read a fair number like that... but I prefer the case file type GSR fics... so I generally am on the look out for those. They're usually the longer ones that end up having a really good case story with the relationship aspect tied in as an overture. I'm reading a long one like that right now (about 50 chapters).

But as I said, I tend towards the case file GSR fics... particularly the dark/tragic/angsty ones... so those might not be up your alley. There are other lighter case file/conference type ones I've read, but I haven't added them to my bookmarks for later re-reading like I have the others.

12. MacsGirlMel

Yeah, that's a change for me, actually. I've turned into a huge hurt/comfort freak lol. I love comforting,protective Gil and the cuddling and one getting saved by the other or helping each other through rough times. But I only like complete H/C because I go nuts waiting for the resolution/more chapters to be posted lol

For some reason, the one I'm currently enamored with is a disaster fic of sorts, one author started it and four successive authors wrote more pieces to it...a nasty flu kills all but about 3mil people and Gil and Sara are making a new life, doing what they have to to survive, and later Jim comes along and he finds a new start too. (I'm an apocalypse fiction nut, it was natural I'd zero in when it was originally posted on LJ. I just wonder how long before there'S zombie apocalypse fic...I could see one with Sara starting to turn, locked up, and Gil researching, trying to save her, like I am Legend, but it'd have to be written believably...zombie apocalypses don't usually appeal to me.)

13. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

LOL! I know what you mean about only liking complete H/C ones... or any long story for that matter! Drives me batty when I find one that I absolutely LOVE only to discover the author abandoned it ::twitch twitch:: I'm writing a rather long one myself right now, but since it drives me nuts waiting for new chapters or finding incomplete stories, I'm holding off posting it anywhere until it's done. Even though it'll likely be between 30-50 chapters... and long ones too.

Ooo - that disaster one sounds very similar to the starts of The Stand... which is my favourite book... ever. I'll have to look for that one!

I love how so many fan fic authors have seemingly got such a good handle on the characterization of both Grissom and Sara. The ones that really get me are those ones that FEEL like the Grissom and Sara we see on the show, and pushing them into scenarios that are beyond trying. I also rather love the few I've found written from Hank's perspective :guffaw: but that might be because the ones I've read from his perspective remind me so much of my Cerby :lol:

One slightly, uh, odd thing I like is CD fics. I said I like the dark/tragic ones LOL! Or if not CD, ones where Grissom is the one going through all kinds of things. I adore Grissom, but, he kinda got off REALLY easy in comparison to the rest of the team. I mean, he got whacked in the arm by the strip strangler, and ended up with a bruise on his neck from the guy with the high body temperature... and sure he nearly got blown up, but that left him with what, a few scratches and likely a bad headache? :lol: I guess as a huge Stephen King reader, I just got used to protagonists not just getting the short end of the stick, but getting beat by it repeatedly. :guffaw:

14. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

::laughs:: Okay... weirdness here... apparently yesterday afternoon I'd found the flu fic you were mentioning and had it opened and ready to read before bed on my phone. Talk about a coincidence, eh? And oh was it ever good!

= D

15. MacsGirlMel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.